PDA

View Full Version : M995 ammo

jh1
07-16-08, 13:29
Who is selling m995 ammo(5.56)?Or wher can it be found?

kalikraven
07-16-08, 18:14
Good luck in finding it..... ever!

From what I hear even the guys in the military have a hard time getting it. Some asshats on Gun Broker say that they are selling the tungsten core AP 5.56 rounds but they lie. Tungsten is nonmagnetic. That is your first clue, plusif you take the round apart you'll find the regular steel core. Buyer Beware :eek:

jh1
07-16-08, 20:39
Thanks for the info man. I'll take heed & keep looking.

markm
07-16-08, 23:14
I'll take heed & keep looking.

I wouldn't bother looking at all. I've never even seen a pic of this silly stuff.

I can't imagine what good a 5.56 AP round would be anyway. By the time is sheds its jacket going through armor, you're dealing with a dog gone needle prick.

jh1
07-17-08, 06:06
I wouldn't bother looking at all. I've never even seen a pic of this silly stuff.

I can't imagine what good a 5.56 AP round would be anyway. By the time is sheds its jacket going through armor, you're dealing with a dog gone needle prick.

Yes after doing some research,it is not for sale.legally.

DocGKR
07-17-08, 12:37
It is not legal to sell to civilians...ever.

It is even difficult for military and Fed LE to obtain.

It only comes in linked form for the M249/Mk46.

skyugo
07-18-08, 15:54
how's this stuff perform? like mark said you've only got 5.56 energy and size.
will it go through 3/8" steel armor?

WS6
07-19-08, 01:40
how's this stuff perform? like mark said you've only got 5.56 energy and size.
will it go through 3/8" steel armor?

M855 that I have will punch through 3/8" steel and still go through a 2x4 afterwards at 150 yards. However, that is probably pretty mild steel. Depends on the grade for sure!

stormtracker
07-19-08, 04:21
Federal Tactical Bonded is the closest you will find to it in performance. It is hard to come by as well. Maybe $1 a round if you can find it. It is supposed to out preform M855.

WS6
07-19-08, 10:50
Federal Tactical Bonded is the closest you will find to it in performance. It is hard to come by as well. Maybe $1 a round if you can find it. It is supposed to out preform M855.

Incorrect, the closest commercial offering is from Barnes. It is a solid copper(or brass, I forget which) spitzer. I would hedge my bet on this round for the ultimate in penetration in .223/5.56 that civilians can acquire.

The M995 is meant to NOT expand, only to penetrate, and it tumbles just because of physics.

LE223T3 is meant to expand and penetrate 12-18" and be "barrier-blind".

M855 was designed to defeat Soviet cold-war era body armor out to around 600+ yards. It was originally meant for the FN Minimi.

DocGKR
07-19-08, 12:55
M995 is non-expanding, non-fragmenting ARMOR PIERCING ammo that can defeat common hard body armor.

M855 is fragmenting FMJ ammo with a small steel penetrator that helps it punch through 1970's era Soviet soft body armor--it performs very poorly against steel and glass. It will not penetrate hard body armor.

LE223T1 and LE223T3 are bonded JSP designs that expand, generally do not fragment, and are "blind to barriers", meaning the terminal performance is not degraded when going through common intermediate barriers like automobile glass, building walls, and mild steel. These TBBC loads will not penetrate hard body armor.

The most common Barnes all copper bullets are the expanding, non-fragmenting 45, 53, 62, and 70 gr all copper TSX OTM design. These are fairly barrier tolerant, however, the expanded "petals" frequently shear off going through laminated windshield glass, leaving a deep-penetrating caliber size "wadcutter" like core. Barnes also has the violently fragmenting 36 & 50 gr Varmint Grenade and 55 gr MPG bullets which are not barrier blind. The deepest penetrating Barnes bullet is the non-fragmenting, non-expanding 45 gr Banded Solid. None of these Barnes bullets are armor piercing and none generally defeat well designed hard body armor.