PDA

View Full Version : M4/M4A1 contract

Slater
05-21-15, 20:50
From today's contract awards:

Colt Defense LLC, West Hartford, Connecticut, was awarded a $36,104,812 firm-fixed-price, indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity foreign military sales contract (Jordan, Antigua and Barbuda, Belize, Colombia, Hungary, Oman, Panama, Romania, Senegal, Lebanon, Romania) for M4/M4A1 carbines. Funding and work location will be determined with each order with an estimated completion date of May 21, 2018. Bids were solicited via the Internet with one received. Army Contracting Command, Warren, Michigan, is the contracting activity (W56HZV-15-D-0038).

It says that only one bid was received. Wonder why FN decided to pass?

dewatters
05-22-15, 14:19
The original solicitation (W56HZV-13-R-0281) was restricted to Colt Defense.

Hank6046
05-22-15, 14:54
So they have a new contract, that's awesome. I know they were circling the bankruptcy drain for some time.

TMS951
05-22-15, 15:20
It says that only one bid was received. Wonder why FN decided to pass?

Maybe FN is at manufacturing capacity with its current contracts?

SomeOtherGuy
05-22-15, 20:10
Maybe FN is at manufacturing capacity with its current contracts?

Just guessing here - Colt owns the TDP for the M4 carbine. When you get a US military contract you have to agree to let others bid on that same weapon at some future date and be able to use the same TDP to manufacture it (there may be some royalty payment involved), and that's how FN got contracts for the M16 and later M4. But maybe you don't have to agree to that for foreign sales, and therefore Colt, as owner of the TDP, was the only company that could legally manufacture the item to be sold?

I'm not an expert on government procurement by any means, but I did stay at one of Holiday Inn Express's competitors last night.

Todd00000
05-24-15, 05:32
Good for Jordan, maybe their Airborne/SF will get rid of the DPMS.