PDA

View Full Version : New S&W M&P Compact 45!

C4IGrant
07-16-08, 16:14
Just got a couple of these in and took some pics for everyone.

I have average size hands and even with low profile magazine, my pinky finger still fit on the grip! I was kind of surprised by this.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/45C.jpg

8rd Mags
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/45C_Mags.jpg

Comparison of a full size, mid size and compact 45
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/45Models_Compared.jpg

Full sized 45 & Compact 45
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/SW/45C_45_Compared.jpg

mike benedict
07-16-08, 18:50
the one I handled at the SHOT show was very nice

Now they need to make one just like that in 9mm

Mike

Boris
07-16-08, 18:55
Thanks, for the pics! Perfect comparison I've been looking for. I have two questions:

Are the triggers any better than when they first released the 45? (I have a 9 full-size and thought the 45 trigger was considerably worse in comparison)

I presume they don't offer the midsize w/out the beavertail so can a competent gunsmith remove that to replicate the compact?

-B

HK45
07-16-08, 18:56
The mid-size gets my vote for more balanced feel. this looks like it would give me more grip than the other compacts which are way too short for me.

Sam
07-16-08, 22:08
Grant:
Would it be possible to lay the M&P Compact on top of a Glock 19 for comparison? Thanks.

C4IGrant
07-17-08, 09:19
Thanks, for the pics! Perfect comparison I've been looking for. I have two questions:

Are the triggers any better than when they first released the 45? (I have a 9 full-size and thought the 45 trigger was considerably worse in comparison)

I presume they don't offer the midsize w/out the beavertail so can a competent gunsmith remove that to replicate the compact?

-B

The triggers on the compact do feel better to me than the full size 45's (strange).

Bowie could most likely remove the beaver tail on the mid size.

C4

C4IGrant
07-17-08, 09:19
Grant:
Would it be possible to lay the M&P Compact on top of a Glock 19 for comparison? Thanks.

I have no G19's in my home or shop. Once I fired the M&P, I sold every singl G-Lock product I owned. ;)

C4

twodollarbill
07-17-08, 09:45
I have no G19's in my home or shop. Once I fired the M&P, I sold every singl G-Lock product I owned. ;)

C4

WOW!!!!!

Robb Jensen
07-17-08, 09:47

C4

Even the E-tool? ;)

How will you dig your fighting/fox holes when the zombies come? :eek:

C4IGrant
07-17-08, 09:47
WOW!!!!!

Once I find something better, I stop wasting my time with the other gun. ;)

C4

Sam
07-17-08, 10:27
Once I find something better, I stop wasting my time with the other gun. ;)

C4

Go post that on the GT forum and see how fast you'll get banned. :p

C4IGrant
07-17-08, 10:30
Even the E-tool? ;)

How will you dig your fighting/fox holes when the zombies come? :eek:

LOL, I guess I am just screwed.

C4

C4IGrant
07-17-08, 10:31
Go post that on the GT forum and see how fast you'll get banned. :p

I would love too, but am already banned from there. ;)

The owner wanted me to pay to be on there. I said pass and he banned me. :rolleyes:

C4

Jay Cunningham
07-17-08, 14:21

C4

Call me old-fashoned but it takes waaay longer to convince me. The M&P is a VERY promising design but there is no way I'm ditching my Glock 19 anytime soon. Same thing with AR magazines - PMAG's look like the greatest thing in the world right now but there's no way I'm getting rid of my USGI's.

I remember not too long ago the H&K "High Reliability" magazines were the be all, end all and it turned out to not be the case.

Time will tell.

:cool:

John_Wayne777
07-17-08, 14:32
Hell, even *I* have a G19 and I hate the damn things.

C4IGrant
07-17-08, 14:59
Call me old-fashoned but it takes waaay longer to convince me. The M&P is a VERY promising design but there is no way I'm ditching my Glock 19 anytime soon. Same thing with AR magazines - PMAG's look like the greatest thing in the world right now but there's no way I'm getting rid of my USGI's.

I remember not too long ago the H&K "High Reliability" magazines were the be all, end all and it turned out to not be the case.

Time will tell.

:cool:

Here is how I looked at it. I had been running a G19 for years. I never shot it well. I picked up another shooters M&P and IMMEDIATELY shot the weapon faster and more accurately. I just instantly new that the M&P fit my hand better. Kind of like how I know the 1911 feels far better in my hand than most any other weapon.

I have never looked back or missed any G-Lock products.

Another thing that helped was having gone through both the Glock and M&P armorers schools. I think once you do that, you will figure things out real quick. ;)

C4

R1pper
07-19-08, 02:56
Will the full size mags fit the compacts?

-DM-

C4IGrant
07-19-08, 08:14
Will the full size mags fit the compacts?

-DM-

Yes.

C4

Pesty0311
07-19-08, 12:43
Been waiting on one of these, thanks for the photos of size comparison. Any idea if they plan on making a 9mm in the same size? Also do you plan on offering these with the sight upgrades?

Thanks
S/F

packinheavy
07-19-08, 19:43
I was talking to one of the guys at the range I go to about these today. He just bought the full size with thumb safety and was eyeing the compact.

I liked the full size ones that I have handled and will have to get my hands on one of these compacts to try it out.

Thanks for posting the pictures Grant. My bank account hates you.;)

C4IGrant
07-20-08, 10:58
Been waiting on one of these, thanks for the photos of size comparison. Any idea if they plan on making a 9mm in the same size? Also do you plan on offering these with the sight upgrades?

Thanks
S/F

No idea on a 9mm compact.

What kind of sight upgrades are you looking for? They already have Novak/Trijicon sights.

C4

Pesty0311
07-20-08, 14:31
10-8 Rear would be sweet. Multiple dots confuse me... I'm just a dumb grunt.

C4IGrant
07-20-08, 15:22
10-8 Rear would be sweet. Multiple dots confuse me... I'm just a dumb grunt.

Roger. You can just add that stuff yourself (or buy one of the special packages we do).

C4

Pesty0311
07-20-08, 15:57
Roger that, I was referring to the "packages". Will be in touch.

Magsz
07-20-08, 22:46
How much larger is this than the 9mm compact?

Im on the market for a smaller carry gun as my M&P9 fullsize is too large but the 9mm M&P compact feels just a TAD too small.

Im assuming that the M&P45 compact is regarded as a mid sized pistol instead of sub compact kind of like the glock 19? The only difference that i see is that the barrel is longer on the 45 than on the 9. Is the grip still the same size length wise?

Someone correct me if im wrong.

DarrinD
07-21-08, 06:48
How much larger is this than the 9mm compact?

Im on the market for a smaller carry gun as my M&P9 fullsize is too large but the 9mm M&P compact feels just a TAD too small.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

I'm not correcting you, but I would suggest that you make sure you know which caliber you want (the one you shoot most accurately/quickly and think is "the best"-for you anyway-BEFORE you make the decision on which platform to purchase. The wrong caliber choice can ruin a great platform (I know from experience when many years ago I bought a G23 .40 because the FBI just began issuing them . . . . GAG). You mentioned that you've been shooting 9mm, but do you also shoot .45 ACP? If you shoot and like .45 ACP just as well as 9mm, then pick whichever platform feels best.

BTW: if you do switch, PM or email me to let me know if you're looking to sell that full size M&P9 . . . . Good Luck

Magsz
07-21-08, 13:48
Darrin, thanks for the reply bud.

I think there is some confusion here. I wasnt asking a caliber question, ive already settled on 9mm.

I was only inquiring about the .45 because i was intrigued by the size of it.

As it currently stands the available 9mm compact feels just a tad too small for me. I was hoping that S&W would release a "Midsize" 9mm compact.

The .45 caught my eye because it has a longer barrel than the existing 9mm compact which got my hopes up for a possible midsized 9mm frame/slide combo.

This is why i asked the question about the size of the .45 compacts frame and whether or not it was enlarged.

ToddG
07-21-08, 16:21
As it currently stands the available 9mm compact feels just a tad too small for me. I was hoping that S&W would release a "Midsize" 9mm compact.

Since the M&P9 is smaller than a G17, and the M&P9c is bigger than a G26, I don't see Smith making a G19-sized gun any time soon. While there are a lot of G19 aficionados who would like to see it, the market in general doesn't seem to need it or ask for it ... at least according to Smith the last time I spoke with them about it.

I found the M&P9c with the standard (not flat) floorplate extremely comfortable to shoot. There's a good chance I'll switch to one after my 50k M&P9 test is over.

DarrinD
07-21-08, 17:49
the M&P9c is bigger than a G26 ... at least according to Smith the last time I spoke with them about it.

I found the M&P9c with the standard (not flat) floorplate extremely comfortable to shoot.

Todd,

I've never fallen in complete love with my G26, in part because I have to curl my pinky under the grip--and I have small hands and fingers. Thus, I actually carry my G17 Concealed and Open most of the time--but there are times I need a compact to fill the carry gap between my G17 and my Kel Tec .380.

1. How does your pinky feel around the grip?
2. Does it have an external manual safety?

Perhaps you (or any other members who have got a great deal on a customized M&P9c) could email or PM me RE sources that could give me pricing information for a cusotmized package M&P9c (I really don't need another full size).

Thanks,
DD

ToddG
07-21-08, 17:55
DD -- I don't own one and have only shot them a few times when meeting up with buddies or S&W folks at the range. So my observations are based on limited experience.

My full hand fit fine on the gun when using the "extended" floorplate. It didn't with the flat floorplate. With the extended one, I'd say the front of the grip area is about as long as a G19, but the back remains just a little longer than a G26.

Presently, there is no 1911-style safety available for the M&P series except on the .45's.

Magsz
07-21-08, 20:47
Todd, that's disappointing to hear. The only reason why I wanted a g19 sized m&p is because of how little control I feel I have over the gun during reloads. The hanging pinky finger and subsequent two finger grip on the compact scares me.

Why do you feel as though a midsized mp wouldn't do well? Aren't glock 19s exceedingly popular?

ToddG
07-21-08, 23:11
Magsz -- I don't know whether it would do well or not. The reason I doubt Smith will make one any time soon is because there isn't enough of a difference between the full size, proposed mid-size, and compact. The number of people who would buy the mid-size but won't buy one of the other instead is likely not big enough, at least right now, to justify designing, producing, inventorying, and selling a third size.

HK45
07-23-08, 23:33
I have yet to see any of the compacts in a gun shop. Hope they show up soon so I can get my hands around the grip. Looks like it may be long enough unlike the c series M&P's in 9 and .40.

Palmguy
07-24-08, 08:39
DD -- I don't own one and have only shot them a few times when meeting up with buddies or S&W folks at the range. So my observations are based on limited experience.

My full hand fit fine on the gun when using the "extended" floorplate. It didn't with the flat floorplate. With the extended one, I'd say the front of the grip area is about as long as a G19, but the back remains just a little longer than a G26.

Presently, there is no 1911-style safety available for the M&P series except on the .45's.

I have both the M&P9c and a G19 and I'd agree with your assessment of the comparison in size between the two.

I have medium sized hands and the 9c with extended floorplate is very comfortable to hold and shoot (more so IMO than a 19). I'm not a huge fan of the flat plate but it does have it's place.

Also, I'd love to see a true G19 sized M&P but it does seem to me to be a relatively insignificant difference between the full size and compact to warrant the expense on S&W's end. I'd buy one in a heartbeat but I'm not holding my breath.

John Fettes
07-25-08, 22:26
I stopped at a shop looking for a 45C yesterday; they hadn't seen one yet. I'd bought a full size (FS) MP45 there last year.

While there, I looked at a FS MP9 (with CTC LG's), a G19, and MP9C. I have a G19 & a G26. In looking at the three of them, I'd be surprised to see S&W split the difference between the FS & compact.

As said here and elsewhere, the 45C will be about the size of the G19, and that sounds good to me!

John

nickdrak
07-26-08, 08:23
I just received my LE M&P45c (SKU#307508) Manual thumb safety/NO mag safety/night sights/3-mags, and while I havent had the opportunity to take a pic of it next to a G19, I did compare the two side-by-side. They are nearly identical in dimensions. The 45c's grip is just a hair shorter, and it seems to conceal better/print less than a G19's grip.

My initial impressions: This is in my opinion, the perfect sized .45acp concealed carry pistol. I have a Tucker "The Answer" IWB hybrid leather/kydex holster that I originally bought for a full sized M&P40 that I used to own. The 45c fits nicely in it, and in this rig the 45c conceals as nicely as a Glock G26. I think Smith&Wesson did an outstanding job designing the 45c, and it is the perfect size for an "off-duty" or Concealed carry pistol.

The trigger on my 45c was pretty bad in that it was nearly identical to all of the M&P's that I have owned straight from the factory. No detectable reset, heavy mushy pull/break. I did a trigger job on it, and it is now much improved. I can actually feel the reset, and the pull feels to be right around #6. I believe the inconsistent triggers are the only issue that S&W needs to address on the M&P's. A co-worker picked up a full-size M&P9 recently, and it had a very nice trigger on it. Crisp break, sharp reset straight from the factory. All of the M&P's I have owned triggers sucked out of the box:confused:

I hope to get to the range later today to run a few hundred rounds through it....

redsox20
08-26-08, 00:06
Does anyone know if the mp45 is legal in Mass. yet and if you dont do you know where i can find out? thanks
if this has been covered sorry for the repost.

POF.Ops
08-26-08, 00:24
Compared to my 5" 1911 and my Compact 1911 the M&P 45 is a mid-size. I shot one the other day and the ergos felt really good. I had to concentrate a little more to keep it in the rings but I really liked the way it shot. When I went back to my Baer everything was in the black. I also like the ability to hang a light off the M&P. Probably my next .45.

maximus83
08-26-08, 00:47
I found the M&P9c with the standard (not flat) floorplate extremely comfortable to shoot. There's a good chance I'll switch to one after my 50k M&P9 test is over.

+1. I have larger than average hands, and I can shoot the compact quite comfortably, even can get my pinky on the grip (when you factor in the inserted mag with extender). In fact I can shoot my compact almost as accurately at 25 yards as I can my full-size.