PDA

View Full Version : Heinie sights

Stretz Tactical Inc
07-16-08, 17:01
I just got a set of Heinie straight eight sights. I really like the contrast and clear crisp sight picture. I cant wait to shoot the gun with these sights. My old night sights that came with the gun (glock), got a little gray around the edges and it makes it hard for at least, my eyes, to get a clear focus at 25 yards in certain lighting conditions. My question for those of you that have had the straight eights for a while, is: Does the metal part of the sight get gray and loose that crisp clearity over time? Thanks.

theJanitor
07-16-08, 17:29
mine have grey'd and faded a bit, but they're pretty old. they still glow though.

graffex
07-16-08, 17:50
I got a set the beginning of this year for my Glock 17, and I love them. I have got the black teflon coated version so I pretty sure my aren't going to gray, but you shouldn't have anything to worry about either. They're head and shoulders better than 3-dots IMHO.

Stretz Tactical Inc
07-16-08, 19:47
thanks for the replies guys

TurretGunner
07-18-08, 18:04
All night sights are going to dim overtime. It is based on the half-life of the radioactive isotope that they use. That being said, most night sights have a 10-15 year half life. That means that after 10-15 years they will be half the brightness. By that time they are still very usable. If you cant afford a new set by then, you need to change your career field.

Stretz Tactical Inc
07-18-08, 18:38
I was actually more concerned with the metal around the dot getting gray like the glock night sights do. the blueing rubs off and it gets gray and not as clear in certain lighting conditions and for my eyes, harder to align the sights and target at 25 yards.

hobbeslt
07-18-08, 19:25
I have several sets on several Glocks and I think they are great sights. Mine seem to wear around the edges and I think it's because they're made from a softer steel. When mine start to fade I use some cold blue and it brings them back to new condition. My oldest set is about 8 years and they're still going strong.

NCPatrolAR
07-18-08, 21:21
Heinie needs to release some sights for the M&P.

Sam
07-18-08, 21:23
Heinie needs to release some sights for the M&P.

It's taking them too long, the thunder had been stolen by Burwell and 10-8.

nickdrak
07-19-08, 00:53
I just received an email from Heinie stating that their M&P sights will be released in "two, or three weeks at the most" the other day. I am hoping this is accurate as I am going to pick up a M&P45 Compact next week, and want to install a Heinie rear on it.

ToddG
07-19-08, 09:14
I love my Warrens ...

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/warren-johno-daylight-350x233.jpg
The orange tape is a DIY thing, not part of the sights as they come from Warren Tactical, obviously. :cool:

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/warren-mp-ns.jpg

M1A2_Tanker
07-19-08, 11:53
I found a set of these for the XD for $84.75. Is that a good price? I know its a better price than the tru-glu or meprolight but what is the going price for the heinie's?

NCPatrolAR
07-19-08, 13:02
It's taking them too long, the thunder had been stolen by Burwell and 10-8.

As you know; I love the Burwell rear sights. Heinie, if the sights are ever released, will be my option for guns that lack night sights during my initial purchase.

John_Wayne777
07-19-08, 13:54
I love my Warrens ...

http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/warren-johno-daylight-350x233.jpg
The orange tape is a DIY thing, not part of the sights as they come from Warren Tactical, obviously. :cool:

Has Warren released those sights for the M&P yet?

LH2
07-19-08, 14:36
Love the Heinies on my G19... Great customer service as well.

I really like the over / under straight 8 setup, as opposed to 3-dots. But everybody is different that way...

Stretz Tactical Inc
07-19-08, 15:28
I found a set of these for the XD for $84.75. Is that a good price? I know its a better price than the tru-glu or meprolight but what is the going price for the heinie's?

Ya, thats good. I got mine with shipping for just under $91. That was the brownells LE discount. It was $6 cheaper, with shipping, then the Heinie LE discount w/o shipping.

Robb Jensen
07-19-08, 15:51

Just saw him about 45min ago, not just available yet.

ToddG
07-19-08, 16:08

I'm not privy to all of Warren Tactical's marketing plans, but as I understand it, they're releasing them one at a time in order of coolest person they know down to the least desirable.

I got mine. :D

MAP
07-19-08, 16:37
I'm not privy to all of Warren Tactical's marketing plans, but as I understand it, they're releasing them one at a time in order of coolest person they know down to the least desirable.

I got mine. :D

I guess that I should open the package I received from warren Tactical two (2) months ago! :cool:

Mike

j/k - I don't need no stinking night sights to be cool!

M1A2_Tanker
07-19-08, 17:43
Well since I ordered mine already here is the link to them.:D

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=945235&t=11082005

Heinie Straight Eight Night Sight SlantPro Set Springfield XD Steel Blue Tritium
Inventory reduction
$84.75+ shipping:eek:

ETA: Heinie's website sells them for just over $110

RWK
07-20-08, 11:22
I just received an email from Heinie stating that their M&P sights will be released in "two, or three weeks at the most" the other day. I am hoping this is accurate as I am going to pick up a M&P45 Compact next week, and want to install a Heinie rear on it.

I was told the same thing last year. I hope your info is good but, I'll believe it when I see it.

nickdrak
07-20-08, 16:36
I was told the same thing last year. I hope your info is good but, I'll believe it when I see it.

Yup! I was trying to keep a positive outlook on the email I received from Heinie, but I was told the same thing last year as well....

Spooky130
07-20-08, 17:39
I love my Warrens ...

That's what I want! Where do people buy Warren sights in general? Their website is less than user friendly...

Spooky

ToddG
07-20-08, 18:03
If it's local to you, Virginia Arms (Manassas, VA) not only sells them but has a display set up where you can handle (blue) guns with all the different configurations.

For online, just Google "Warren Tactical" ... there are a number of online shops that sell them.

Bob
07-20-08, 18:51
Do the Heinie tritium inserts have a thin metal ring around them, or painted/plastic white dots w/ the insert in the middle?

I'm looking for a good set of NS that do NOT have a large white ring around the insert, like the factory NS on my G26 have...

Judging from the picture on Heinie's site, they are metal rings, but I just want to be sure. :)
http://www.heinie.com/images/eight.gif

RWK
07-20-08, 21:46
Do the Heinie tritium inserts have a thin metal ring around them, or painted/plastic white dots w/ the insert in the middle?

I'm looking for a good set of NS that do NOT have a large white ring around the insert, like the factory NS on my G26 have...

Judging from the picture on Heinie's site, they are metal rings, but I just want to be sure. :)

There is a thin "ring" around the insert. That's the tube they're installed in. But, it's not large or distracting. They're worlds apart from your factory Glock sights. (I think the factory sights might be Meprolight's...?)

I really like the Straight 8 sights, which is why I'm disappointed that it's taken Heinie so long to come out with a set for the M&P.

Bob
07-20-08, 21:57
There is a thin "ring" around the insert. That's the tube they're installed in. But, it's not large or distracting. They're worlds apart from your factory Glock sights. (I think the factory sights might be Meprolight's...?)

I really like the Straight 8 sights, which is why I'm disappointed that it's taken Heinie so long to come out with a set for the M&P.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Now I just have to decide between the 'original' style and the 'slant-pro' style...

Edited to add:
As long as we are talking Heinie sights, anyone have a favorite sight tool they use to install them? If I like the set I'll put on the G22, the rest of the herd will eventually get them, so a $100 investment in a tool doesn't seem like a bad call...

nickdrak
07-20-08, 22:47

Now I just have to decide between the 'original' style and the 'slant-pro' style...

They also have their new "Ledge" style sights available for Glocks which is designed for better one handed manipulations.

RWK
07-20-08, 23:47

Now I just have to decide between the 'original' style and the 'slant-pro' style..

My preference so far has been for the Straight Eight - SlantPro but, I have a G17 that will soon be getting the Ledge Straight Eight set. There's also the QWIK Straight Eight set. Whichever set you choose, I recommend the .156" rear notch.

Bob
07-21-08, 20:30
My preference so far has been for the Straight Eight - SlantPro but, I have a G17 that will soon be getting the Ledge Straight Eight set. There's also the QWIK Straight Eight set. Whichever set you choose, I recommend the .156" rear notch.

Just noticed those on the front page of Heinie's site...Now to chose between THOSE and 10-8 sights.

Does anyone know if the MGW 'straight-side' sight tool will work with Heinies?

Stretz Tactical Inc
07-21-08, 21:57
Does anyone know if the MGW 'straight-side' sight tool will work with Heinies?

Yes, Thats what I bought to install mine. Dont use the standard glock tool - it will crush the sights according to Mr Heinie., because of the angle of the side of the factory sights

Bob
07-21-08, 22:10
Yes, Thats what I bought to install mine. Dont use the standard glock tool - it will crush the sights according to Mr Heinie., because of the angle of the side of the factory sights

Great to know. If I like them, I'll be putting them on a few Glocks, and I don't want to press my 'hammer and dowel' luck.