PDA

View Full Version : "Poltergeist" remake

Slater
05-23-15, 09:26
Saw this the other day. Maybe I'm showing my age, but I thought the original was a better, more suspenseful film. Craig T. Nelson and Jobeth Williams were better in their respective parts too. Not that this new one is a bad film - it's an OK flick. Just seems that Hollywood has run out of new ideas and is trying to recycle every movie made in the 1980's.

Singlestack Wonder
05-23-15, 09:29
Saw this the other day. Maybe I'm showing my age, but I thought the original was a better, more suspenseful film. Craig T. Nelson and Jobeth Williams were better in their respective parts too. Not that this new one is a bad film - it's an OK flick. Just seems that Hollywood has run out of new ideas and is trying to recycle every movie made in the 1980's.

This....

SteyrAUG
05-23-15, 22:48
Hollywood ran out of ideas a long time ago. Watch enough TCM and you will realize that a lot of the movies we grew up with in the 70s and 80s are actually remakes themselves from the 30s and 40s. And it isn't just a case of "Heaven Can Wait" being a retitled remake of "Here Comes Mr. Jordan", a lot of films are presented as original concepts but themes and ideas were clearly mined from earlier films.

Even TV shows such as The Twilight Zone and Outer Limits have had their plot lines lifted and recycled into full length motion pictures that were presented as original material.

Boba Fett v2
05-24-15, 10:15
I'll see it anyway. The original scared the piss out of me when I watched it as a kid when it first came out. Besides, it's interesting to watch the reboots/remakes with modern effects and a new director's vision. Sometimes it works. Other times, not so much. Like Steyr says, there's really nothing new under the sun. These films aren't meant for us aging folk. They're meant to introduce a new generation to these stories.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-25-15, 21:27
It was lame. I think they actually integrated the TV dude from fright night in at some point. I fell asleep