PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody use USAA?

brown3345
05-24-15, 06:45
I was wondering if anyone uses USAA services like home/auto insurance, banking etc. ? Are their rates competitive? Good customer service? I see that if you are a member you can get some interesting discounts on new GM vehicles if you are a member.

austinN4
05-24-15, 06:49
Site search function is your friend:

https://www.m4carbine.net/google.php?cx=010536845846440650985%3Aridd3_u3s3i&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=usaa&sa.x=12&sa.y=17&sa=Search&siteurl=www.m4carbine.net%2Fsearch.php%3Fsearchid%3D894109&ref=www.m4carbine.net%2Fforum.php%3Fs%3D171ba50d47cc3b4c88d0a2f1ca23e7ae&ss=

brown3345
05-24-15, 06:55
Holy smokes, I guess that search function is pretty cool. I should use it more often! I guess I have become somewhat jaded with other forums with crappy search functions. Thanks austinN4.

agr1279
05-24-15, 08:02
I was wondering if anyone uses USAA services like home/auto insurance, banking etc. ? Are their rates competitive? Good customer service? I see that if you are a member you can get some interesting discounts on new GM vehicles if you are a member.

Yes for everything but a general use bank account. If you live in Florida you can not get new homeowners insurance unless you are on active duty and get stationed here. This was due to changes in the Florida legislature several years ago and hurricane coverage.

Dan

05-24-15, 08:46
USAA is great. We use USAA and Amica. Both are top-rated with excellent service.

Don't get too hung up on rates. It is the service when something happens that counts. USAA was there after Katrina. Amica has handled several auto claims and went after other ins. co. when started playing games.

I wouldn't choose any other co. besides the two mentioned.

nimdabew
05-24-15, 09:58
Yes. Tried others, went back to USAA. I have bamking, IRA, investment, and insurance through them. My wife and whole family will be getting their own individual accounts as well.

SpeedRacer
05-24-15, 10:44
USAA insurance is great, but pricey. I've used them for car insurance for probably 15 years now and am 110% pleased with it. I had to drop their homeowner's though, they kept jacking the premium up about 15% a year even though I never filed a claim. Wasn't a huge deal when we lived in a cheap house, but when we bought our new house and did some insurance shopping their premiums were over 50% more than competitors.

Todd00000
05-24-15, 12:46
Insurance rates are dependent on many variables. You should cross shop every two years or so, or every time you move.

It cost insurance companies the same to insure a house or car in a given area, so why are some cheaper than others and why do rates increase? They buy clients, then slowly raise the rates hoping you won't switch.

Also, with 1-800 insurance companies, as opposed to ones with local agents, the claims adjuster is freelance and wants to stay in good with the 1-800 company, so they keep the claims as low as possible. An adjuster that works for local agents wants to keep those agents, and you, happy. The biggest problem I ever had with USAA was a lowballing claims adjuster.

The companies are not loyal to you, they share your info in a nation wide date base, shop around. Just keep your previous insurance statements.

Here is how you shop, scan your current insurance documents and email them to the other companies, then you will get an apples to apples comparison of rates without the agent playing with the coverages to get you a lower rate. Also some companies can adjust rates while keeping the same coverages, GIECO is notorious for lowering rates if want to cancel them, so try that too.

For a period of time I left active duty and was an Allstate agent.

Frailer
05-24-15, 18:19
I've been with USAA for 30 years, and I use them for everything: banking, credit card, homeowner's insurance, mortgage, auto insurance, and auto loan. (I was going to pay cash for my last car, but they offered me 0.29% interest, so I financed the whole amount instead.)

Their rates aren't always the best (especially since they opened up their eligibility criteria several years ago ), but their customer service is top-notch. I have many examples, but my favorite is from a few months ago. My wife and I were traveling and wanted to stay at a hotel we'd visited a year or two prior...but we couldn't remember the name of the place. I called credit card services and the customer service rep scrolled through old charges until she found it.

I'm a big fan.

C-grunt
05-24-15, 19:20
We use USAA for everything and I have zero complaints. I could probably get cheaper insurance but am wary of going to a different company because of the superb customer service I get. My buddy was a dealership maintenance/repair manager and he told me that there is a HUGE difference when dealing with the big name insurance companies and the "cheap" ones when covering their customers repairs.

Jaysop
05-24-15, 19:23
My wife and I use USAA auto insurance. It's cheaper to fully cover both cars with them then it is for just liability with Progressive and Geico. I have a horrible driving record though.

BuzzinSATX
05-24-15, 19:23
I've been with USAA for 30 years, and I use them for everything: banking, credit card, homeowner's insurance, mortgage, auto insurance, and auto loan. (I was going to pay cash for my last car, but they offered me 0.29% interest, so I financed the whole amount instead.)

Their rates aren't always the best (especially since they opened up their eligibility criteria several years ago ), but their customer service is top-notch. I have many examples, but my favorite is from a few months ago. My wife and I were traveling and wanted to stay at a hotel we'd visited a year or two prior...but we couldn't remember the name of the place. I called credit card services and the customer service rep scrolled through old charges until she found it.

I'm a big fan.

Ditto here with this post and C-grunts as well. But I also carry a Cabelas Visa...

Wake27
05-25-15, 09:23
I love USAA - I use them for pretty much everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
05-26-15, 00:53
All my auto insurance and other insurances are with USAA. They recently settled a claim for a friend in record time and he was treated very fairly. His girlfriend who is insured with another company was recently hit and they stroked her around endlessly.

Shorts
05-26-15, 01:52
Been with them for 11years or so. Currently have auto/renters and valuable personal property ins. That's pretty reasonable plus discounts for bundling-type. I also have a Roth Ira with them. But I don't bank with them. Overall satisfied. I'm not a high maintenance customer. I find them solid.

We did have homeowners ins with them and yes they were higher than others for the same coverage. Not sure why that was but not on my radar at this time.

Watrdawg
05-26-15, 11:14
I use them for insurance and some investments and they are great. Mortgages are a different story. I do have to say that I own a mortgage company for full disclosure. USAA's problem on the mortgage side is that they are very slow and their fees and rates are higher than most other companies. Definitely better options out there on the mortgage side. Other than that they are very hard to beat when it comes to customer service and investment or insurance related products.

TriviaMonster
05-26-15, 12:03
USA auto here. Great service, no complaints.