PDA

View Full Version : 14.5" vs. 16" barrel (defensive)

JediMindTricks
07-16-08, 19:49
So I tried looking for this but I couldn't find it on this forum. My question is will there be a big difference in performance from he 5.56 when being delivered from the 16" barrel vs. the 14.5 M4 barrel? A pretty knowledgeable guy at my local gun shop told me to pass on getting the 14.5, and to get a 16" for better over all performance. He said that I would lose about 100, to 150 FPS with the shorter barrel. If possible I would rather have a shorter carbine but if the terminal ballistics of the 5.56 are significantly better from the 16" platform then so be it. I know that the 5.56 is nasty coming out of an M16 length barrel but obviously there is nothing to carbine-ish about that now is there....

Thanks in advance

skyugo
07-16-08, 20:30
not a huge difference ballistically, but a 16" middy will be more reliable and less likely to break/wear out parts than a 14.5 carbine

something to keep in mind.

bullitt5172
07-17-08, 11:40
not a huge difference ballistically, but a 16" middy will be more reliable and less likely to break/wear out parts than a 14.5 carbine

something to keep in mind.

Oh really??

:rolleyes:

billybronco
07-17-08, 11:44
To quote GotM4 from an earlier post of his...

"The midlength gas system cures the CAR length gas system problem of excess gas pressure/volume".

Perhaps this is what he was referencing.

???

bullitt5172
07-17-08, 11:46
To quote GotM4 from an earlier post of his...

"The midlength gas system cures the CAR length gas system problem of excess gas pressure/volume".

Perhaps this is what he was referencing.

???

They are still not more reliable, this has been debated over and over again....

theJanitor
07-17-08, 12:19
there is a tool for every job. the OP said it was "defensive". for me "defensive" means defending my house, which is 20 floors up ;) so the shorter barrel makes moving around my condo a bit easier. i'll take maneuverability over some FPS anyday

Robb Jensen
07-17-08, 12:38
They are still not more reliable, this has been debated over and over again....

Actually anything closer to the original 20" barrel/rifle gas system is inherently more reliable..........

When was the last time you heard of a Colt 20" gun break a bolt?

Soulrack223
07-17-08, 13:59
16" only because of not having to SBR it and being able to take it apart if you need to without dealing with a pinned and welded flashhider. IMO the length of the gas system doesn't matter just use an H or H2 buffer in your carbine if you're worried about wear. If I were buying new, I'd choose a middy 16" although my primary rifle is an LMT with carbine gas and 16" m4 barrel and I have no inclination to replace it.

Failure2Stop
07-17-08, 14:08
Inside 100 meters, the difference in terminal ballistics of quality ammo between a 14.5" and 16" will be academic at best.

That being said- the only reason I have a 14.5 gun is to mirror my work gun, it is slightly more maneuverable inside, but not all that different than a 16" gun. For broader application I would go with a 16" middie (which I also have), which is arguably that best GP configuration available.

I personally find the excessive exposed barrel past the front sight annoying on 16" carbine gas guns. It just feels weird to me. I like the feel of a 16" middie, despite the fact that identical configurations will be slightly heavier (unless you are using middie HGs on a CAR, in which they will be the same, obviously).

But that's just me.

Iraqgunz
07-17-08, 14:30
Can anyone honestly tell me that they can feel a difference between a 14.5 or 16 in. barrel? I know I sure as hell can't. We are taking about 1.5 inches.

Failure2Stop
07-17-08, 14:57
Can anyone honestly tell me that they can feel a difference between a 14.5 or 16 in. barrel?

Yes ;) .
It's not like the difference between a 20" and a 10.5", but I can feel a difference. It feels different both in handling and firing. As I said, nothing earth-shattering, but enough to have a preference.

Hootiewho
07-17-08, 15:15
We are taking about 1.5 inches.

Speak for yourself, but to some of us 1.5" would make a world of difference in life!:D

rob_s
07-17-08, 15:19
For broader application I would go with a 16" middie, which is arguably that best GP configuration available.

I agree, with the caveat that we're definitely reaching the point of minutiae with conversations like this. The differences between 16" and 14.5", or mid-length vs. carbine-length gas systems is virtually inconsequential.

If I was going to own ONE, and was buying today, it would be a midlength 16". But who the hell owns just ONE? :eek:

Robb Jensen
07-17-08, 15:19
Speak for yourself, but to some of us 1.5" would make a world of difference in life!:D

That's all kinds of wrong! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/smilies/z7shysterical.gif

Iraqgunz
07-17-08, 15:50
I was thinking about this while pissing and realized just how true it is. :D

That's all kinds of wrong! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/smilies/z7shysterical.gif

PushPull
07-17-08, 16:11
I was thinking about this while pissing and realized just how true it is. :D

Are we still talking about barrels? :D

warpigM-4
07-17-08, 17:07
Are we still talking about barrels? :D
Man barrels:D

ToddG
07-17-08, 17:23
If I was going to own ONE, and was buying today, it would be a midlength 16". But who the hell owns just ONE? :eek:

Me. :(

But at least it is a 16" middy.

LOKNLOD
07-17-08, 17:45
Me. :(

But at least it is a 16" middy.

Me too :(

And me too :)