PDA

View Full Version : Should I trade my xd for a glock 19

Jpoe88
05-25-15, 16:09
A local guy has a Glock 19 Gen 3, only comes with a 32rd mag so I'd need to buy mags. He wants my xd9 service that has 3 Springfield mags the box and two holsters. Is this a good trade or nah? Please weigh pros and cons. Keep in mind, I have 750 thru the xd no failures and I don't know about the other guy.

Should I keep a known good and jump to an unknown bc it's a "glock"? Reason I'm interested in trading is it seems a little more compact and I'm absolutely worn out from carrying this xd because of the shoddy holster which I can replace.

Input appreciated on pros and cons. Thank you!

mikejg
05-25-15, 16:13
I would do that trade in a heartbeat. So much aftermarket support for the glock and I'm really digging Raven's new Eidolon holster.

bsoileau24
05-25-15, 16:15
I would but I am a glock fan all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpoe88
05-25-15, 16:20
Tentative trade value on the 32 round mag? Will it trade for a pair of 15 rounders? I have no interest in that high cap mag at all.

RMiller
05-25-15, 16:27
I'm not fan of the XD. That being said there is value in haveing a pistol you trust. Can you fire the pistol before committing??

JaegerOne
05-25-15, 16:29
If your XD is dependable and you shoot it well, keep it and buy a good holster.

Jpoe88
05-25-15, 17:01
I can hit a silhouette at 25 yards standing, all 17 rounds but I feel that's painfully average. Currently have a setup that doesn't have interchangeable back straps. I'm at a loss at the moment. I think a big factor for me is mag pricing. I can be just as efficient probably

To me Glock is the pinnacle. However, the xd is dependable too (for me anyways) so I'm not sure if it's the right move

jck397
05-25-15, 17:53
Do you know the Glock's serial #? I believe the BTF/FTE problem children were in the P to S serial # range (off the top of my head). I would be wary of a used Glock in that range. If both guns are a known quantity, I'd grab the Glock and run. Just make sure you're not trading a working gun for one with fleas.

Jpoe88
05-25-15, 19:10
Asked for serial number. We shall see.

That's my fear. I've been burned before.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-25-15, 19:17
Unless your XD is giving you trouble I wouldn't bother. I have never owned one, but I have a friend that has had two Xds forever and they are indistinguishable from Glocks from a practical standpoint. Sure there is more aftermarket junk, but I doubt you will really need any for it or the Glock. Either gun and a set of HD sights is about the same. Take it from me, no gun is the "pinnacle." Each one is just a gateway drug to the next.

Jpoe88
05-25-15, 19:33
The guy flaked on me when I asked for the serial. Everything sounded good, willing to meet at a range, willing to put his info on a bill of sale, has CCW that is valid but literally stopped talking when I asked for the serial. I guess that answers my question.

Fwiw, I was there with a buddy that has a Gen4 Gen19, and anther guy that has a M&P9. Went open chamber on all 3 into a nasty mud puddle first thing and they all ran. The Smith and Wesson felt so cheap when manipulating. Xd was my favorite to shoot, glock concealed best.

Jwknutson17
05-25-15, 19:47
If someone were asking me for a serial on my firearm over email, phone, or text, I would tell them to pound it. From his standpoint, he doesn't know if you are going through with the sale and what you would do with his serial number. A better question to him would be, does your serial fall into XXX through XXX. When you go to meet him, look at it and verify.

I too would go the Glock route.

The guy flaked on me when I asked for the serial. Everything sounded good, willing to meet at a range, willing to put his info on a bill of sale, has CCW that is valid but literally stopped talking when I asked for the serial. I guess that answers my question.

Fwiw, I was there with a buddy that has a Gen4 Gen19, and anther guy that has a M&P9. Went open chamber on all 3 into a nasty mud puddle first thing and they all ran. The Smith and Wesson felt so cheap when manipulating. Xd was my favorite to shoot, glock concealed best.

LoveAR
05-25-15, 19:55
To the OP...yes.

Jpoe88
05-25-15, 19:59
Nah he should have sent it. Even asked for the first digit and last two so I could date it. That dude can suck one. Said he got it at a gun show and didn't get a bill of sale. I refuse to deal with someone who won't give a serial. For real, if it's stolen or he thinks it might be I'm not giving up the gun I purchased brand new so I can carry, get frisked, have the serial number ran it pop up stolen and get tossed in the slammer. No one agrees?

Oh btw, he wanted to trade bc he wants a .40. Mine is listed and advertised as an XD9. I just saw he has his posted to trade for a glock 18 or 40. See the caliber of individual?

Makes my mind up on that specific gun, not Glocks in general.

ralph
05-25-15, 20:04
Nah he should have sent it. Even asked for the first digit and last two so I could date it. That dude can suck one. Said he got it at a gun show and didn't get a bill of sale. I refuse to deal with someone who won't give a serial. For real, if it's stolen or he thinks it might be I'm not giving up the gun I purchased brand new so I can carry, get frisked, have the serial number ran it pop up stolen and get tossed in the slammer. No one agrees?

I agree...There literally millions of Glocks around, If what you're saying is true, then yah, the whole thing is starting to stink, and frankly it's not worth the risk.. Walk away, Keep your eyes peeled in the EE on this board, someone is always wanting to sell/trade a Glock..

L-2
05-25-15, 20:19
From the info given, don't do the trade. I'm a Glock fan, but don't trade a known weapon which works 100% for an unknown functioning gun. If you want a G19, then buy one. Later, after using the G19 and determining you like it better than the XD, sell the XD.

Something seems off with the G19 which is-why is there only a 32-round mag? Have the serial number checked to see if it's stolen or not, unless you're somehow sure it's not.

Usually, a G19gen3 is a great gun, as long as 10-round mags aren't used or relied upon. There have been several reports where 10 round mags are required of those mags causing feeding problems.

I use the normal 15 round mags or 17 round mags (from a G17/34).

Etho
05-25-15, 21:04
I would've made the trade a long time ago.

Jpoe88
05-25-15, 22:34
I would've made the trade a long time ago.

I bet you would have!

The trade isn't for reliability, it's about how well I can carry, and if I'm making the change, there's things I don't want to sacrifice by going single stack and significantly less grip.

Bodhi
05-26-15, 03:37
Do you know the Glock's serial #? I believe the BTF/FTE problem children were in the P to S serial # range (off the top of my head). I would be wary of a used Glock in that range. If both guns are a known quantity, I'd grab the Glock and run. Just make sure you're not trading a working gun for one with fleas.

Mine is TTP**** and does NOT have BTF issue. So I believe you are correct.

Unless your XD is giving you trouble I wouldn't bother. I have never owned one, but I have a friend that has had two Xds forever and they are indistinguishable from Glocks from a practical standpoint. Sure there is more aftermarket junk, but I doubt you will really need any for it or the Glock. Either gun and a set of HD sights is about the same. Take it from me, no gun is the "pinnacle." Each one is just a gateway drug to the next.

I agree with this. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Jpoe88
05-26-15, 05:56
After sleeping on it, I believe I'll make Glock my next purchase but leave the xd be and put it in a better holster

weggy
05-26-15, 06:21
I own a G19, a S&W M&P 9mm and the XD9, I put aftermarket triggers and sights on all of them and if I were FORCED to only keep one, I probably would have a breakdown trying to decide. They all have been ultra reliable, the Smith probably feels the best right out of the box, the 19 is a Gen4 and I like the grip on it better than the Gen 3. The only thing I don't like about the XD is the grip safety but I can live with that. So I guess I'd end up taking a "chill pill" and try to keep all three. Except for the Taurus, I've regretted getting rid of any gun that I traded or sold!:confused:

Jpoe88
05-26-15, 07:55
If a g19 drops on my lap for the xd I'll do it but I'm not desperate to ditch the xd for one. Still love it, just don't have to move it if that makes sense

Etho
05-26-15, 14:45
I bet you would have!

The trade isn't for reliability, it's about how well I can carry, and if I'm making the change, there's things I don't want to sacrifice by going single stack and significantly less grip.

I'm confused with this post. The Glock 19 and XD Service are roughly the same size and both are double stack. The only reasons to switch are either aftermarket support or reliability. I personally don't think you gain or lose anything in the carrying department. I can tell you that the 19 carries really well IWB. I've been carrying a 26 for a long time now, but carried my 19 for a while until my wife "stole" it from me and made it hers. Another 19 is on the short list of purchases.

Jpoe88
05-26-15, 15:54
I'm confused with this post. The Glock 19 and XD Service are roughly the same size and both are double stack. The only reasons to switch are either aftermarket support or reliability. I personally don't think you gain or lose anything in the carrying department. I can tell you that the 19 carries really well IWB. I've been carrying a 26 for a long time now, but carried my 19 for a while until my wife "stole" it from me and made it hers. Another 19 is on the short list of purchases.

There's a small difference, the grip angle is different and is slightly shorter, however, the glock was in a better, much better holster and some replies have had a greater impact than others and I ordered a better holster to give it a fair chance.

Like some have said, if it isn't broke don't fix it. I shoot it reasonably well, and I've had no reliability issues out of it. There's still plenty of support for it.

Any post before this should be regarded as a rash decision to get a "quick fix" to a holster problem by blaming the platform. Let's see what the holster has in store. Still plan on a g19 tho