PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance Drivers (advice?)

WillBrink
05-26-15, 07:54
Never enjoyed long distance drives. Some people actually enjoy it. I had a buddy who on a whim, would put his two dogs in the car, and drive to AZ from MA, stay a few days, and drive back. I can't even fathom that. After 5-6 hours in a car I start to get stiff as hell and mentally squirrely.

I just got a Ford Explorer which is the first vehicle I can picture myself taking a road trip in. It's quiet and a great highway cruiser. As I'm planning to move to FL for an extended time in the near future, it would make sense to load up my Explorer and just drive it down there vs shipping it. The thought of such a drive still makes my skin crawl however.

For you long distance driving experts, what advice do you have for me? What have you found are the tricks/tips to longer road trips? I'm especially interested to hear from those who have done the NE to FL run. I'd like to be one of those people who has no problems going on long distance drives, but never have been.

Ryno12
05-26-15, 08:03
My advice to you, Will...

Don't be a pussy. Nut up, buckle up, and enjoy the drive.

:)

thei3ug
05-26-15, 08:27
Audiobooks. Something riveting to your taste. If anyone else in the car doesn't like it, tell them to get headphones and STFU because you're driving.
Cracking the window helps after awhile, just to get some fresh air and keep you from being lulled into a daze.
Scheduled stops every 2 hours or so, depending on your ability to hold it. Rest stops are there, bring a picnic. You're going one way, you're not eating into a short period of time on a vacation. Schedule 5 minutes to stretch your legs every hour.

I used to drive between Chicago and Wilmington NC. My car used to set off an alarm after a few hours. I'd barrel through stopping only for gas in about 10 hours. I don't think I could do that now, but keeping you from zoning out is key. For me it was audiobooks. And remember, when you feel fatigued you can always stop and get a cup of coffee.

WillBrink
05-26-15, 08:31
Audiobooks. Something riveting to your taste. If anyone else in the car doesn't like it, tell them to get headphones and STFU because you're driving.
Cracking the window helps after awhile, just to get some fresh air and keep you from being lulled into a daze.
Scheduled stops every 2 hours or so, depending on your ability to hold it. Rest stops are there, bring a picnic. You're going one way, you're not eating into a short period of time on a vacation. Schedule 5 minutes to stretch your legs every hour.

I used to drive between Chicago and Wilmington NC. My car used to set off an alarm after a few hours. I'd barrel through stopping only for gas in about 10 hours. I don't think I could do that now, but keeping you from zoning out is key. For me it was audiobooks. And remember, when you feel fatigued you can always stop and get a cup of coffee.

Useful info there, thanx.

SilverBullet432
05-26-15, 08:43
Im not OTR on the time, but: Coffee. Truck drivers best friend.

cbx
05-26-15, 08:47
I'll second audio books. Really helps to pass time if driving by yourself.

I try to stop at least every 3 hrs. Helps to travel with someone you like to talk to, but that's not always an option. If you can, stop and see some sights. That's helps to break up the day a bit too.

MegademiC
05-26-15, 08:50
I used to drive 20 hr straight through from ne oh to SW fl, once or twice a year when I was in college. I would take a verity of music, and rotate that with talk radio. I was also young and would drink 2 energy drinks over the course of the drive, and chew tobacco (which I've since quit).

I also sped and would be on high alert looking for speed traps. I don't recommend that, and I don't speed anymore, like I used to, but it kept me alert and made the drive go faster.

Point is, do something stimulating or you'll fall asleep. Enjoy the scenery. Start early. You don't want to be driving late at the end of the drive.

Eurodriver
05-26-15, 08:51
Snag a Mercedes equipped with a V1 and put a driver in it with 20/10 vision and a penchant for knowing where LE likes to hide out...and drive quickly.

I also sped and would be on high alert looking for speed traps. I don't recommend that, and I don't speed anymore, like I used to, but it kept me alert and made the drive go faster.

I find this true as well.

Abraham
05-26-15, 09:12
Audio books are wonderful aids to long distance driving.

However, if you can afford it, limit yourself to 400 miles a day and then get a room.

If, your budget doesn't allow that many nights in a motel, scout out your drive and look for state parks and camp.

I've done the 400 mile limit and it works.

You remain fresh and the miles add up quickly to your destination.

Long drives need not be marathons.

Guys who drive endless miles are masochists...

docsherm
05-26-15, 09:14
Don't drive if you don't want to. Load up your car and take Amtrak with your car. You can go from DC to Orlando in comfort and then drive off the train. It take about 20 hours but you can spend time in the club car and then sleep in a bed. You get there first thing in the morning and you are well rested. Look into it. It is a good deal.

http://www.amtrak.com/auto-train-your-car-your-stuff-and-you

Straight Shooter
05-26-15, 09:42
Mr. Will..I think sir, you've answered your own question. You said you would like to be one that didn't have problems going long distance..but aren't. As a former OTR driver with well over 1.3 million miles.. Im telling you please don't push yourself. If you aren't able to stay awake...if the books on tape have run out...if the scenery aint catchin your eye..then drive till tired and get a room. Coffee never helped me, or did windows down, even in sub zero weather. When I finally got XM radio tho...all the late night talk shows helped more than anything else. But, please don't push it. BTW...I used to drive from Laredo TX to TN straight very often, and it was a 22hour plus drive, stopped once for fuel and nothing else. Was hellish. Was a complete zombie for two days at home.

WillBrink
05-26-15, 09:56
Don't drive if you don't want to. Load up your car and take Amtrak with your car. You can go from DC to Orlando in comfort and then drive off the train. It take about 20 hours but you can spend time in the club car and then sleep in a bed. You get there first thing in the morning and you are well rested. Look into it. It is a good deal.

http://www.amtrak.com/auto-train-your-car-your-stuff-and-you

Thanx, that was something I had considered also. Breaks it up into one long drive, and a train ride. I like trains as a rule.

brickboy240
05-26-15, 10:36
I hear you.

I can do about 6 hours or so in a straight drive but after that I too get a bit stir crazy in a long car ride. That said...we make a yearly trip out to Big Bend that runs us about 8 hours total.

Books on CD help as does XM satellite radio with tons of channels of not just music but talk and comedy and other distractions.

Also...any chance of breaking up the trip? Making a short stop half way there and spending the night? That way, you can get out of the car for an extended time, go for a walk or run and get some food and sleep then do the rest of the drive refreshed?

Many times when we go to Big Bend, we stop at a friend's place in Kerrville. That is about half way. That way I drive maybe 4.5 hours and take an extended break out of the car. We go get some food and talk and unwind before getting back in the truck for the other 4 hours and man...that little break really helps recharge and make the rest of the ride bearable.

You could try the Amtrak suggestion but in my experience with trains is that they take MUCH longer and man do I get sleepy on a train ride. We did the train from St. Louis to New Orleans once and it about drove me bonkers. Much worse than any car ride.

I say CD books, XM Radio and breaking up the trip will make it totally bearable.

SomeOtherGuy
05-26-15, 11:05
I have a few suggestions. Background: my wife and I regularly do long distance road trips, including a 10,000 mile road trip this January-February (from Michigan to ALL of the western states except for Montana), and have done several trips in the 5-8000 mile range.

Here are my tips:

-On any road, pick a speed that doesn't stress you out. That may be 10 over or 3 under depending on all conditions. If you're going faster than you are comfortable with, it will stress you and greatly reduce your ability to drive distances.

-Plan your routes and times to avoid rush hour traffic in big cities. I usually start after the morning rush hour and drive into mid evening, but stop for an early dinner, gas and maybe an extended rest (park or shopping mall) right at the start of the evening rush, getting back on the road after it's over.

-Figure out how many hours a day you can do. I have done up to 12-13 hours of actual driving in a day, and with the wife have switched off for 20+ hours of driving between hotel stops. If you're by yourself, that's not an option so figure what's realistic. One person driving 20+ hours without sleep is not, IMHO, realistic.

-Multiple rest stops or gas stops really eat into your awake time and reduce your mileage per day. I have a regular trip that's only 6h20m actual driving time but easily becomes 8-9 hours with stops factored in. Minimizing stops is key. Gas your car each morning even if it's nearly full, and try to combine food, bathroom and gas stops as much as you can. When you can't, freeway rest areas are usually much quicker stops than anything involving an exit from the freeway into the land of stoplights.

-The single best way to waste time is getting lost. I've had this happen two ways - going on the wrong freeway (or freeway direction) at an interchange, or trying to find a specific restaurant that is miles off the freeway in a town I don't know. GPS helps but shouldn't be your only source of direction. I like the free state maps each state produces the best, with a Rand McNally road atlas my second choice. In my experience AAA maps are not as good as either of those.

-Decide how late you can safely drive, plan a stop accordingly and be realistic. When I was younger I could keep driving until about 2am. I no longer consider that a good idea and now plan to stop much earlier.

-I probably don't need to tell Will this, but eat well and something consistent with your normal diet, so you don't get digestive issues.

-Shoes can be important - you want something with a stiff sole (to minimize your effort on the pedals) and as small as practical to fit in the rather cramped footwells of newer cars and let you move your feet and legs around to avoid cramping.

-Get the car to a comfortable temperature for wearing just a shirt and pants, not a jacket, even in cold weather. Much more comfortable after hours and hours.

-I rotate two types of sunglasses to minimize eyestrain - a gray pair for bright sun, and an orange/amber pair for cloudy bright conditions.

-I like music, but most people I know seem to prefer audiobooks.

-By myself I find it handy to have a small cooler in the right footwell with water, other drinks and snacks available. Traveling as a family we do the same thing but placed in the middle of the second row.

-Even with a new car, check your tire pressure. If you have a TPMS that reads actual pressures on the dash, awesome - just make sure they are what you want. If not, use a gauge. Generally you want to be a couple PSI below the maximum cold pressure. If you go through major changes in temperature or altitude, you may need to adjust pressures up or down. Don't bleed air based on a hot tire temp unless it is far too high - all tires heat up at freeway speeds, that increases pressure and it's taken into account in establishing the recommended cold pressures. (It's also a good idea to make sure your spare is properly inflated.)

Treehopr
05-26-15, 12:40
Great advice from SomeOtherGuy

I do about 45k miles per year and just finished a 2 week, 5k mile round trip from New England to Colorado. I do the NE-FL run several times a year.

If you're just trying to make time then plan around traffic patterns, if you're coming from Massachusetts I'd suggest taking I84 all the way in to Pennsylvania and heading south on that and minimizing your time on the I95 corridor. If you can leave at night, say around 8 pm you can cover a lot of distance barring any overnight construction or traffic accidents. I'd be very conservative on speeding, no more than 10mph over until you get south of Virginia. NC, SC & GA are long stretches but don't tempt fate by trying to keep up with all the cars doing 90mph.

If you don't mind making a trip out of it then I'd say break it up with some extended stops, there's plenty of things on the way down depending on what you're in to. NRA museum, Airborne & Special Operations museum plus a whole bunch of other gun or military related stuff. That helps me break up drives so I have something to look forward to, especially when the GPS tells me it's 300+ miles before my next turn...

In case you do get delayed because of traffic, keep a gatorade bottle and a roll of toilet paper in the car in case you're not able to make it to the next exit/rest area. FYI- hotel bathrooms are usually much cleaner than anything you'll find at a rest area/gas station/mcdonalds. I also find brushing my teeth and washing my face help wake me up, may just be psychological but it gives me a bit of a reset before getting back on the road.

I keep a kettlebell in the car and try to do some kb swings when I do stop at a rest area or gas station, gets the blood pumping and loosens up all the muscles from my ankles up to my back.

For entertainment, I have a mini-ipad loaded with TV shows and movies- I can plug that in to my vehicles's sound system and it's a pretty good way to kill 6-12 hours depending on what you're watching/listening to, Band of Brothers, Agents of Shield, True Detective, etc.

MBtech
05-26-15, 14:59
Will, sounds like just about most of the best possible advice you could get has already been given...almost :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FmU6ffxga_A

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5RK2WiD9Os

brown3345
05-26-15, 17:00
As Chief of General Motors Emergency Response team, I have to say that you will need to take it easy on the energy drinks. I have seen to many young people use them in excess trying to stay awake and functional only to be sent to the hospital for erratic heart rhythms. Driving out west from Michigan for my epic hunting adventures I have found that a good nights rest before and something to keep you engaged while driving can do wonders, be it XM radio talk shows or "books on tape". When fueling up, make sure to walk around, eat, stretch, and pee. Don't ever be to proud to switch drivers or get a hotel room. A 20 minute nap at the rest area also does wonder for the soul.

GotAmmo
05-26-15, 18:33
I love it when I have to PCS thru multiple states. I always pick routes that allow for frequent stops...those stops usually have entertaining things to do to benefit me and my sanity.

All I can say is plan your routes and take detours to sight see. Makes it worth it

hatidua
05-26-15, 19:01
I used to drive between my home in CO and my home in FL four times a year (2,003 miles, door to door). I always did 1,300 miles the first day, regardless of direction, as splitting it equally in half made the second day seem too long. The trick for me was not to eat any solid food after noon on that first day. I'd start at 3am and end at midnight that first day and eat all I wanted from 3am until 12-noon but only liquid thereafter. Eating after noon more or less guaranteed I'd have to stop by 5pm and find a hotel to sleep in. Food makes me sleepy on long drives.

Additionally, going the speed limit or 5mph under is less stressful/tiring than going 10mph over. YMMV

tb-av
05-27-15, 09:30
I don't think you will get used to driving in one trip. I95 can be a real pain. I can almost guarantee that when you hit VA you will be in traffic jams. That's from NoVA to say as far south south as Ashland you could not only be in a jam but a considerable delay. That's almost half a State. What you could do... put your car on the train and get off at Lorton, VA.. .that's basically Woodbridge south of DC and the drive fro there to FLA would not be bad... It's still along drive but hopefully you will actually be moving. Been a long time since I've driven to FLa but every time I get on I95 these days north of Richmond, it seems like I'm driving just to stay alive.

But that would break your trip in two big sections and the driving part would be the better southern section. Something like Lorton to Savanah would be a good long day and not torture yourself. Then the next day you will hit Fla and that's kinda like a mental boost because you are in the State you're headed to.

Then again,,, take the train the whole way and after you get settled in drive down through the Keys one long weekend. It's a lot more fun than an hour standstill in Fredricksburg surrounded by Semis.

brickboy240
05-27-15, 12:39
I don't know why some suggest coffee or energy drinks while on a long car trip. Those just jitter you for a short while then make you crash. Not to mention making you have to pee every other mile! LOL

No thanks to those on a long car trip.

I stick to Clif Bars, Power Bars or maybe a big bag of mixed nuts and dried fruits that I put together from the bulk bins at Whole Foods.

Avoid the simple sugar snacks...they just make you crash harder later on. Energy drinks do the same, are full of sugars and make you pee like coffee does. LOL

Another great car treat while on a long trip for me is beef jerky. Protein that is easy to eat while driving! Most of my fluids ingested on long car trips is just water.

davidjinks
05-27-15, 14:02
Delete

SteyrAUG
05-27-15, 17:45
Waze mobile traffic app.

Alerts you to heavy traffic and suggests alternates. Shows the location of reported LEOs ahead.

jmoney
05-27-15, 20:21
I have no idea why, but I find long drives relaxing. I avoid cities in rush hour, and I usually stop every 3 hours at the most. I just don't think its very healthy to sit for that long. Satellite radio, audiobooks, are all good. I used to drive from OKC to dallas, which is about three hours, every weekend. I had one month where I just had on the comedy channel and it would fly by. In your case, there is probably a ton of fun stuff to do on the way down there.

buckshot1220
05-27-15, 22:06
Route tips: I've done NY to SC and NC and vice-verse at least 20 times along with some other longer trips. I95 from NY all the way through Richmond, VA is a complete crapshoot any time of day, not just rush hour, but I do find the risk of traffic in this corridor is diminished at night. If I were you, I'd aim to hit the NY/NJ area around 7-8PM and plan on rolling through all the trouble spots at night. This would put you in DC sometime after midnight and Richmond around 2-3AM. South of Richmond to the northern end of Florida it should be relatively clear sailing. The 295 spur around Richmond is almost mandatory during the day, but at night I feel it actually takes longer than going straight through.

***VA loves to give out speeding tickets, Emporia area in particular. Also, 80MPH and above in VA can be written as a criminal offense or misdemeanor(can't remember-someone chime in), not just a traffic infraction. Keep it under 80MPH in VA.

General tips:
Gym clothes and running sneakers seem to work best for me. They're comfortable and aren't bulky. Bulk gets uncomfortable.

Coffee is a double edged sword. Depends how you handle caffeine. I'll drink some with food stops otherwise I prefer some sort of vitamin water. Coffee also tends to increase frequency and necessity for pit stops...

and on that note, try to combine your stops. Food/fuel/bathroom. There are tons of travel centers like Pilot/TA/Flying J that can service all of these in one stop as well as places like Sheetz (which actually has decent food). These can also make great places to grab some shut eye. If at night, just park in a well lit area near the front entrance to avoid any trouble.

If only a bathroom is needed I try my best to wait for a rest area as it is much faster than getting off the highway and looking for a gas/food place. You'd be amazed how much time is lost to a light or stop sign, getting into parking lots etc.

Satellite radio, CD or hooking up an MP3/Cellphone will save you constantly changing stations. If you have Bluetooth, I like to take the time to reconnect with people I haven't talked to in a while or call those few friends who seem to always want to talk for an hour. It breaks up the ride.

I used to travel at warp speed when I was younger, but now I find 75MPH on cruise is much easier as I don't have to constantly scan for cops. Let's face it, unless it is a workzone they will not waste any time on someone doing 75MPH on an interstate.

Bring some snacks like trail mix, Cliff bars etc. Avoid chips and junk food that will make you thirsty.

EZ-Pass is a life saver. South of DC to FL there *should* not be any tolls.

Make a quick note of your route, the major roads and direction, as your GPS will lose signal or freeze up in some tunnels and cities.

I try to run 3hrs between short (10-15min) breaks and 12-14hrs total travel time between actual sleep/overnight stops. More than 12-14hrs is dangerous IMHO.

Good luck!

BuzzinSATX
05-27-15, 22:42
QI'm a bit of a long drive junkie. Done many 700+ mile/18-20 hour runs in all areas of the country. Best advice I can give is:

1. Load/fuel/check tires, oil, lights on your vehicle the day/night prior so it's ready to go in the morning

2. Have a cooler with water/drinks/food packed as well. Best road food is fresh fruit and low carbs...high carbs make me tired!

3. Have slippers/flip-flops/slides in the car for driving...and wear comfortable clothes

4. Keep your tank above half...don't drive it to 1/4 tank or less...this lets you be selective on fuel stops (safe/clean/cheaper gas)

5. Start your first day early (as in be one the road at 0400!)...you will get a lot of miles in and if you hit bad morning commute traffic, you can plan around it or stop for fuel/breakfast if necessary with a decent start on the trip behind you....

6. Make your first day is your longest day. Run until 1930ish and you'll have 15 hours driving behind you, and still have time for decent supper, unwind, and sleep before 2200.

The above works well for me. YMMV. Good luck!

Singlestack Wonder
05-28-15, 09:54
When I first saw the title to the thread, I was thinking of golf drivers......