PDA

View Full Version : Pros & Cons of SLR-106 vs AR

LH2
07-16-08, 21:55
I know several forum members have both... :cool:

I don't have a 5.56 in the collection yet, and pricing out AR's led me the conclusion that a worthy AR seems to start around $1200 for LMT and up for Noveske / Colt.

Not being married to either platform I can't help but wonder if the SLR-106 wouldn't be all I need for much less money. :confused:

First, I'm not planning to add optics right away... Purpose of rifle is for fun, but it needs to be reliable for SHTF or Home defense. Honestly though, HD duty is covered with my 870P and Insight M6X-equipped Glock 19. ;)

What are some pros & cons I should consider? I realize AR's have better irons, and will be more accurate.

Anybody prefer the AK platform to the AR?

Which rifle is easier to maintain?

Some say in a time of social unrest they'd rather be seen with an AR than an AK as you look more like a 'good guy' and less like a 'bad guy'... I dunno about that.

Or is 5.56 the 'wrong' caliber for an AK? Expensive mags, expensive ammo, etc? The thing is I want a smaller caliber rifle than 7.62 (have a VZ.58 already), so maybe I should look at a 5.45? :confused:

Business_Casual
07-16-08, 22:13
This is my opinion - buy a Colt 6920. Add AKs or whatever as your budget allows later.

M_P

Chas_97
07-17-08, 09:58
I just bought a new Colt LE6920 and put the Aimpoint MLR3 Red Dot sight on it. A superb weapon that only needs a SureFire light (w/ mount) for reliable, effective home defense. Add that it's a blast to shoot at the range & that it's likely to hold it's value better and/or increase in value over time (if taken good care of) and you can't go wrong with the LE6920.

Jay Cunningham
07-17-08, 10:23
I know several forum members have both... :cool:

I don't have a 5.56 in the collection yet, and pricing out AR's led me the conclusion that a worthy AR seems to start around $1200 for LMT and up for Noveske / Colt.
S&W, CD and ADM all make good rifles at a lower price point.

Not being married to either platform I can't help but wonder if the SLR-106 wouldn't be all I need for much less money. :confused:

First, I'm not planning to add optics right away... Purpose of rifle is for fun, but it needs to be reliable for SHTF or Home defense. Honestly though, HD duty is covered with my 870P and Insight M6X-equipped Glock 19. ;)
Defensive purposes MUST come first before fun. You can then have fun with it. A rifle just for fun is fine but should not be considered for serious use.

What are some pros & cons I should consider? I realize AR's have better irons, and will be more accurate.
AK's are slower on the reload.

Anybody prefer the AK platform to the AR?
I like them both and feel that I run the AK well. I have been trained specifically on the manual of arms for that platform, though.

Which rifle is easier to maintain?
In general, the AK.

Some say in a time of social unrest they'd rather be seen with an AR than an AK as you look more like a 'good guy' and less like a 'bad guy'... I dunno about that.
I don't know about it either. One thing with the 106 - the folding stock makes it much more concealable if that matters to you.

Or is 5.56 the 'wrong' caliber for an AK? Expensive mags, expensive ammo, etc? The thing is I want a smaller caliber rifle than 7.62 (have a VZ.58 already), so maybe I should look at a 5.45? :confused:
5.56mm mags are actually cheaper than 5.45mm mags right now. 5.56mm does tend to be a bit more fickle than the other two combloc calibers.

IrishDevil
07-17-08, 20:01
If I was looking for an AK in other than 7.62x39, I'd go 5.45. A few 5.56 AK's I've seen have been finicky, most have been just as reliable as any 5.45/7.62. The huge plus with 5.45 is the price of ammunition. As far as Pros/Cons, the AK is slower on the reload as Thekatar noted. Otherwise, I view the AR and AK as equals, as far as practical use goes. I feel any serious defensive shooter should own an example of each, and seek training for each. LAV's AK class will show you some of what the AK is capable of. As far as being seen as a bad or good guy depending on what you are carrying, my thought is if you aren't in a uniform you'll likely be seen as hostile. A big plus as Thekatar also noted is the folding stock of the AK, make it an SBR, and it's all the better. In the end I say get both:D , which is better or should come first is up to you.

lowprone
07-30-08, 21:26
I have both, and I like the Colt for it's intristic accuracy, ergonomics, and it's ability to accept interface w/everything except a kitchen sink. I prefer the AK
for it's ability to eat any 5.56 out there w/ aplomb. I am feeding mine the 75
grain Wolf steel case and it is accurate, only drawback is the general unavailability
of good, low profile, QD sidemount w/picatenny interface. Thought LaRue was
gonna address that, to no avail. The BP-02 w/ some work will mount an Aimpoint
but they are hard to find, Tantal????? The AK will fire until the handguards start
burning. I would grab an AK, out the door.