PDA

View Full Version : Making an Ultra Reliable AR

KTR03
07-16-08, 22:36
First off, this sight is awesome. Remarkably high signal to noise ratio. I know the next stuff I buy will be from GR Tactical, thats for sure. So anyways, I'm an AK and FAL guy but I've got an AR that I use for training and I want to make it as reliable with all types of ammo (wolf included) as I can. My intention was to build a simple, light carbine. Fast handling, basic, easy to use for me and my wife. This is what I've got so far:

I have a Bushmaster lower that I got in the late 90's. I've put an ambi safety in it (I shoot long guns left handed). It has a lightweight Ace fixes stock on it (the one that is build around the buffer tube). I bought it complete with the buffer and spring. I bought a complete upper from CMMG. Its their light weight upper, no rails, standard front sight with a flat top. I have a pedestal style Yankee hill sight on it and will either throw on an eotech or aimpoint. Guns about 5.5 lbs.

So, I have a black d ring that I can install. Thats easy. Even I can do that. I've verified that the gas key is staked.

Questions: So I need to stake the castle nut. I know there are some instructions on here. IS that pretty easy?

How do I tell what the BCG is? Will I need it upgraded?
SHould I put in an H buffer?
Any other upgrades/parts I should get? (I'm thinking of getting an enhanced bcg and using it and using the stock one as an extra).

Again, I'm looking for a fast handling, minute of dirt bag social rifle. Reliability is going to be king.

Any advice, tips, tricks, would be great!

Damien

Jay Cunningham
07-16-08, 22:51
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

SRG
07-17-08, 00:45
Speaking of Wolf ammo and reliability, if one can mention the two in the same sentence, would Wolf ammo be any good if one could remove the laquer finish? Would a solvent do it? Wolf is so mush less expensive for training or plinking if it wouldn't gum up the works so easily.

bullitt5172
07-17-08, 11:30
Ultra reliable AR - I bought a new Colt 6721. I keep it lubed well and shoot 100% Wolf through it. It's got over 5000 rounds through it, cleaned twice and has never failed to fire, eject etc. Buy a quality AR (Colt, Noveske, LMT, CD, S&W etc), keep it lubed and it will be reliable. For you, talk with Grant and he will set you up with what you need. I would re-stake the BCG and keep as a spare, buy a LMT (or Bravo Company) BCG to use in the gun. Stake the castle nut and use Loctite on all bolt ons. Mark the bolts to see if they move. Others will be along soon to add to this..

Speaking of Wolf ammo and reliability, if one can mention the two in the same sentence, would Wolf ammo be any good if one could remove the laquer finish? Would a solvent do it? Wolf is so mush less expensive for training or plinking if it wouldn't gum up the works so easily.

I have never had a single issue with the polymer coated Wolf. You don't want to try and dissolve the coating, it's not a problem. Even the older lacquer coating was fine. Wolf uses a steel case, steel dosen't expand as well as brass. Therefore, more powder/etc get past the casing and into the chamber. Wolf is dirty but it runs in a properly set up AR.

SRG
07-17-08, 11:44
Thanks, Bullitt. Could it be, then, that the most complaints arising from the use of Wolf ammo are from those that are using 5.56 ammo in .223 chambers rather than 5.56 chambers?

rob_s
07-17-08, 11:55
I find that Wold, regardless of what the ammo is actually supposed to be, works better in 5.56 chambers than .223, FWIW.

I shoot, and have for quite some time, Wolf almost exclusively and I clean my guns every 1-2k rounds whether they need it or not.

Robb Jensen
07-17-08, 12:08
I find that Wolf, regardless of what the ammo is actually supposed to be, works better in 5.56 chambers than .223, FWIW.

I shoot, and have for quite some time, Wolf almost exclusively and I clean my guns every 1-2k rounds whether they need it or not.

I've found this to be true as well.
I've made quite a few ARs that previously wouldn't run on Wolf run after a chamber reaming with the Ned Christiansen 5.56mm Neck and Throat reamer as long as the extractor/spring is up to the task. Sometimes it takes a little polishing of the chamber as well using an old worn chamber brush with a patch and some Flitz.

Gutshot John
07-17-08, 12:34
At a carbine class I took with Luxor he was using a Stag with Wolf ammo. I had the exact same Stag but was using mil-surp.

The Stag has a 5.56 chamber, and the Wolf was the new polymer coating.

He had nothing but troubles with Wolf, huge "flakes" of fouling were coming off the chamber. I suppose the chamber could have been out of spec I doubt it. He borrowed some ammo from the instructor and was GTG.

Some guns seem to run great on Wolf, some seem to run like crap. I'd make sure you find out which you have.

It ain't cheap if it doesn't work.

Robb Jensen
07-17-08, 12:42
At a carbine class I took with Luxor he was using a Stag with Wolf ammo. I had the exact same Stag but was using mil-surp.

The Stag has a 5.56 chamber, and the Wolf was the new polymer coating.

He had nothing but troubles with Wolf, huge "flakes" of fouling were coming off the chamber. I suppose the chamber could have been out of spec I doubt it. He borrowed some ammo from the instructor and was GTG.

Some guns seem to run great on Wolf, some seem to run like crap. I'd make sure you find out which you have.

It ain't cheap if it doesn't work.

Many AR companies advertise chambers as 5.56mm NATO. I can say that every chamber that was marked 5.56mm NATO and I've reamed with the Ned Christiansen 5.56mm Neck and Throat reamer has had some metal removed by the reamer. This includes a few Colts and LMTs as well. The reamer is on the large size of the spec for 5.56mm NATO.

rob_s
07-17-08, 13:44
IIRC Stag has been known to release barrels marked "5.56" that were, at best, on the very tight end of that spectrum.

Jay Cunningham
07-17-08, 14:01
If you've got a properly spec'd out AR it should run Wolf just fine. And Wolf is just fine for training/practice. Make sure it runs in YOUR gun first. Run it until it's hot, 6 or 7 magazines within a 15 minute timeframe should do it.

Normally I don't advocate mag dumps but they can serve a purpose occasionally.

POF.Ops
07-18-08, 01:34
This ammo looks promising http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php?page=1&cName=223-556-fmj-ammo&sort=2a

My POF loves Black Hills 62g and I am thinking of the ammo at this link next esp. the 75g stuff. Anyone have experience with this?