PDA

View Full Version : Potential replacement load for the AR Comp disaster

308sako
05-27-15, 18:41
Did a work up this morning with IMR 8208 XBR, I'm most pleased with the first group in the upper left. Also noting the majority of impacts would like to be centered LOL

I apparently will give up about 30 ft/secs from the "comp" load to achieve the node with this powder, well worth it! Thanks IMR.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x160/308sako/XBR%20and%2060%20Vmax_zpsa5bprvlw.jpg

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x160/308sako/BCMEnhancedLW006_zps51e26384.jpg

markm
05-27-15, 19:02
Yep. You give up a little velocity with XBR, but it's well worth it.

CrazyIrishman
05-27-15, 19:25
Glad you found some xbr 308sako, took 5 months for me to finally find some locally but I found some last week. Finally! I'm so giggity to get back out to the range with it, only thing preventing me from drinking the xbr kool aid now is this monsoon season we're having in north Texas. Also in my opinion Accuracy ALMOST always tops velocity, unless your trying to reach out past your calibers limits in which case your really going to need all you can get.

P.S.- Nice shooting with the acog

308sako
05-27-15, 20:02
Glad you found some xbr 308sako, took 5 months for me to finally find some locally but I found some last week. Finally! I'm so giggity to get back out to the range with it, only thing preventing me from drinking the xbr kool aid now is this monsoon season we're having in north Texas. Also in my opinion Accuracy ALMOST always tops velocity, unless your trying to reach out past your calibers limits in which case your really going to need all you can get.

P.S.- Nice shooting with the acog

From one Irishman to another, XBR isn't to hard to find compared to some :) Have you looked everywhere Laddie?

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x160/308sako/rainbowatDS3_zpss2qftym7.jpg

Markm would tell you not to pass along that secret. As to distance, I wouldn't push it past about 350, and find the load tracks the built in reticle very closely, 2850 just nails it to 400 yards.

CrazyIrishman
05-27-15, 20:41
Beautiful Picture. Glad to see the west is getting some rain I know northern Utah only had around 6 months of water left in their reservoirs as of start of May, WishI could send some yalls way the shore of the lake I live by is 25' over the norm, and I'm under a severe Thunderstorm warning at the moment. Sorry about that too didn't know that info was sensitive or is it classified. Its around here but I'm not paying 220 plus tax out the door for a 8lb jug at cabelas or bass pro. That price may have came down since December but I really don't care because I'd rather not bring them my hard earned money. Then there is also the local mom and pop shops, of which most are way overpriced ($225 per 8lb of H335) . So that leaves only two decent stores and they only get a few jugs of it every 4 weeks or so. Super sad face, but TAC, AA2230,and a few other types of powder are everywhere I go.

What primers were you using with zee v-max?

CHawks_12
05-27-15, 21:07
From one Irishman to another, XBR isn't to hard to find compared to some :) Have you looked everywhere Laddie?

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x160/308sako/rainbowatDS3_zpss2qftym7.jpg

Markm would tell you not to pass along that secret. As to distance, I wouldn't push it past about 350, and find the load tracks the built in reticle very closely, 2850 just nails it to 400 yards.

I always wondered what was truly at the end of a rainbow.... lol

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

CrazyIrishman
05-27-15, 21:56
guess I haven't looked at the porta-potty that's at the end of the rainbow.... ya got me there sako

308sako
05-27-15, 23:12
I use the Wolf small rile magnums as they yield better standard deviations than anything else I have tried or heard of. Powder Valley works well for me because I tend to buy in bulk to get one lot of a given item to work with.

markm
05-28-15, 16:40
I use the Wolf small rile magnums as they yield better standard deviations than anything else I have tried or heard of.

I've never read of anyone trying WOLF SRMs and having SDs do anything but improve. For Ball powder lovers, however... Wolf/Tula primers might not be optimal.

CrazyIrishman
05-28-15, 20:13
Markm, can you elaborate as to why there not optimal with ball powders. Makes sense though with my experience with TAC and AA2230.

texasgunhand
05-31-15, 13:24
Just fyi, cabelas in buda tx had a ton of xbr yesterday on the shelves....