PDA

View Full Version : SmartCarry, a useless G43, deep concealment, and remaining effective.

Eurodriver
05-29-15, 07:38
It's always been easy to clarify what I was looking for in CCW platform. I wanted something that was good for deep concealment (aka NPE).

There seems to be much "dress around the gun" on this forum and while I respect the mentality it just doesn't work all of the time. If you're 50 years old and live in Kentucky, that's probably possible. If you live an active lifestyle, or are young and live in a climate where it is common to go to the beach and remove a shirt then it can be a struggle to find a platform that will work. Additionally, conventional holsters will always be a concern where much bending over, reaching for things up high, and close contact is concerned. It's kind of awkward to brush a girl's arm away when she goes into a hug so she doesn't grab your gun. If she touches your gun with the smartcarry, you should probably know her well enough by then to tell her you carry. :ph34r:

Due to the reasons above, before I got this holster I fell in love with the J-Frame, and really wanted and waited for the single stack G43. The J Frames fit well in my pocket and would allow me to carry a gun in any environment other than where non-belted shorts were worn (gym, beach, etc). This lead me to believe that a smaller gun was a requirement, and there was just no way a G26 or larger double stack gun would conceal well until I discovered SmartCarry. I have to give these guys a huge plug, not only because of they product which I'll get to in a minute, but because they're also a local company to me. I had no idea until after I ordered it which was at 4:00pm, and it was in my mailbox at 9:00am the next day. They're literally down the street. Smartcarry made me realize that what I should have been focusing all along wasn't the size of the gun but the method of concealing it.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/1182869_01_smart_carry_holster_like_new_640_zpsluoxtzrq.jpg

For those unaware, Smartcarry is basically 2 pockets (one big for the gun, one small for a mag or knife) in front of your crotch that wraps around your hips with Velcro. That's it. It's really simple. The pocket portion is made out of dense denim, and the Velcro is a really strong but comfortable nylon/Velcro material. I was really worried at first about putting my loaded pistol in denim, as I felt any tangling up of material might cause an AD. Fortunately, this hasn't been the case and if I purposely try to pull the trigger on my G26 while it is in the SmartCarry it is impossible to do so. I got the smallest size they make, specifically for my J frame but it fits the G26 and G43 as well. The longer barrel lengths prohibits anything bigger than a G26 from having positive trigger coverage.

I have been wearing this holster for a while now, and it made my G43 obsolete immediately. I am actually upset that I spent such a long time obsessing over that gun, because now there is zero need for it. Reference the following pictures. I am wearing board shorts and no t-shirt. I have a G26 and a spare 10rd magazine completely concealed. The pics are linked so none of your women get jealous if they happened to be in the room when you opened the thread. :cool:

Erotic Eurodriver Pic #1 (http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_2726_zpsmlqisxrh.jpg)

Erotic Eurodriver Pic #2 (http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_2727_zpsan3qsotz.jpg)

Proof that there really is a Glock in there. (This is just a weird picture.) (http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_2728%201_zpsbeyicwl3.jpg)

I have worn this setup with suits, business attire, and I think I could wear a J Frame and boxer underwear and still be concealed. I am very impressed. Last night I was hanging out without a shirt on rolling around on my towel (grabbing drinks, conversing, etc) and I never once felt like it was going to fall out or print. I highly recommend this holster. It allows me to have 21 rounds of 9mm on me at all times.

If you're the type of guy who always wears cargo shorts and a t-shirt, then you may want to stick with your Crossbreed or Minitac. I didn't buy this holster to be a go-to concealment piece for rapid draw. I got it to make sure I have a gun on me at all times and it fits the bill perfectly.

I didn't know which forum was appropriate for this, but this one gets good exposure and it's on-topic so it shouldn't be the "wrong" one, I hope.

Jpoe88
05-29-15, 07:52
I like it. There's similar out there for women. Picking up something for my wife in the next few weeks in single stack so I had been looking.

Back to men's useage, I'm a t shirt and cargos/jeans. But I don't wear enormous t shirts and in certain situations where she can't carry and were out together I see this being useful to me. Hopefully you can get it out of your pants before you get beat down though. It's definitely more practical than not carrying at all.

will_be
05-29-15, 07:59
Nice. I'm interested in trying something like this for my Shield. Does it allow the gun to bounce at all with activity?

Jpoe88
05-29-15, 08:19
I'm wondering if I can add a thin string from the bottom of the pouch back to the waist and for maximum retention and to take away any bounce

El Cid
05-29-15, 08:42
I've been using the original at underwear since the late 90's when running, at the gym or beach. It works exactly as you describe. Started with a Beretta Tomcat and been using G27/26 since 2006. Props if you can wear it with normal clothes. I saw a LEO do that with khakis, but like my belts too tight. These holsters work best for me with elastic banded clothes.

Sorry to hear you don't need your G43 now. What about as a pocket pistol as a secondary weapon?

C4IGrant
05-29-15, 09:27
My eyes my eyes! :)

C4

SteveL
05-29-15, 11:05
I'm wondering if I can add a thin string from the bottom of the pouch back to the waist and for maximum retention and to take away any bounce

Soooo.......you want it in a thong version? This could be the birth of the Tactical T-Back!

Jpoe88
05-29-15, 11:07
G-String to be precise! Be kinda neat to walk into the bedroom with two loaded guns :lol:

Clay
05-29-15, 12:03
Excellent thread. I have gone down a similar road. Guns like the G43 seem like a great idea but don't really serve a purpose for me. I carry a G26 in a Smartcarry, a S&W 442 in an ankle holster, and if I need anything smaller than that I go straight to a Ruger LCP and/or a blade. The LCP fits in the same Smartcarry as a G26 and works better for some pants.

Abraham
05-29-15, 12:23
I tried to use a SC and found it very uncomfortable for body carry.

I now use it attached to a bed post (with a little ingenunity and some small bungis) and use it as a bed holster.

Eurodriver
05-29-15, 14:36
I haven't done any intense cardio, but think one of those bands that holds the weapon securely to your body would be better. This doesn't bounce around for me at all, but see my first sentence again. I think it would be fine for casual jogging, but any type of crossfit type stuff would be a no-go, I suspect.

I've been using the original at underwear since the late 90's when running, at the gym or beach. It works exactly as you describe. Started with a Beretta Tomcat and been using G27/26 since 2006. Props if you can wear it with normal clothes. I saw a LEO do that with khakis, but like my belts too tight. These holsters work best for me with elastic banded clothes.

Sorry to hear you don't need your G43 now. What about as a pocket pistol as a secondary weapon?

Interesting. I literally took this picture 5 minutes ago to show you I have no issues with it in pants and a shirt (I even pulled the shirt up to show what it would look like if I reached up)

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_2730_zpsfxqwgaqz.jpg

No idea what I'm going to do with the 43 now. Might be useful for situations like the outfit above. The 26 has to be in just the right spot not to print. A 43 may be less "fuss" to get right. But still, if I can rock a 26 with just a little bit of technique why would I ever use a 43?

Grant, you liked it. Don't lie to us! ;)

jpmuscle
05-29-15, 14:40
Europanties became a reality?

BatteryOperated
05-29-15, 15:01
After reading, I just had to give the website a visit. The SmartCarry has been around for 25 years now, and yet the idea seems like something new. The inventor must have been a young man when he thought of this idea, and an ex-marine to boot.

Eurodriver
05-29-15, 16:20
Hopefully you can get it out of your pants before you get beat down though. It's definitely more practical than not carrying at all.

Agreed. That's the whole point. Even though it isn't fast and it's slightly cumbersome it's totally invisible as long as you are dressed equal to or more covered than Tarzan.

Jpoe88
05-29-15, 16:40
I'm interested in one. Would like to see how someone can carry xd9 service. Fish a lot at the beach without a shirt and have had gear stolen from me on the spot and some shady characters up behind me. Eh maybe open carry is the best theft deterrent on that case!

Clay
05-29-15, 19:13
I bought a large Smartcarry for my Beretta 92FS just to see if I could pull it off. Works fine in loose fit style of jeans. Once you figure it out you can carry the Glock 19 sized guns with ease in relaxed fit style jeans. Smartcarry works great under baggy shorts, scrubs, or sweats - no need for a belt. Well worth the money and customer service is great. I haven't found a better solution for deep concealment, other than an ankle holster with a j frame.

jmoore
05-29-15, 21:41
Knew a guy several decades back who made something similar on his own.
He also modified a couple of pairs of pants (could be shorts!) with a "velcro seam" in the front pocket near the rig. Could access his j-frame pretty damn fast!!!
john

n517rv
05-29-15, 23:33
Is that a G26, or are you just happy to see us?

:)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Kilo 1-1
05-30-15, 02:25
I started dabbling with this carry method around 4 years ago. Works well with certain kinds of pants, slow to the draw, but conceals remarkably well if configured properly. The shorter the grip, the less printing (as with other holsters). As an exclusive AIWB guy, it was not a hard transition for me to use this holster. Not my daily holster (using the Raven Eidolon recently). For deep concealment/very specific role, it works like what the OP said.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/268/17636857963_8a79f64c14_o.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/284/17636858153_48428c3af3_o.jpg

Abraham
05-30-15, 08:20
When you sit, this type carry looks rather, um, odd...and is very uncomfortable.

Eurodriver
05-30-15, 08:32
When you sit, this type carry looks rather, um, odd...and is very uncomfortable.

I just spent 6 hours at an event last night, mostly sitting, in the outfit pictured above.

It was totally invisible.

Do you wear yoga pants? Are you carrying a full size Sig P226?

Clay
05-30-15, 11:05

You need to try different pants, or shift the Smartcarry holster to the left or right. With relaxed fit Levis or Lucky jeans, a Glock 19 is virtually invisible. A large frame gun like a 5" 1911 or Beretta 92 will show a bit of a bulge when sitting, but this can be managed easily, again, with the right pants and shirt. With regular fit or cowboy cut jeans you will have to stick with something smaller like an LCP or J frame in the small Smartcarry.

Abraham
05-31-15, 09:15
When I used a SC, I wore bigger than necessary cargo shorts.

I carry a Glock 19 and found that yes, when standing it wasn't too uncomfortable, not to say it was completely comfortable because it wasn't.

But, when I sat the bulge it produced was unseemly, uncomfortable and hot.

If it works for you, I say great!

It's not for me.

weggy
05-31-15, 09:45
I'd try it,but I don't think "Big Ed and the twins" would be happy being on the business end on a pistol!;)

jpmuscle
05-31-15, 09:52
I always scoffed at this kinda stuff but idk now.. I may need to pick that 642 I've been wanting to and give it a go.

ShipWreck
06-02-15, 13:56
I have used one of these holsters for years. But I do not like it at the 12 o'clock position. I actually wear it at the 3:30 position. Works great.

Eurodriver
06-04-15, 11:52
I have been using this for a while with the 642, and it is much more comfortable than with the G26 (duh. Lighter and smaller)

For those wondering, I have not had any issues with it "bouncing" in workout attire while running.

In clothing with a belt, I put the butt of the pistol at 12:00 right underneath the buckle. This hides the butt of the gun via the belt, and allows you to wear it high enough not to crush your nuts when seated. If you're in basketball shorts however, you need to wear it really low in order for it not to print, but rarely are you seated for 8 hours (such as at work) in basketball shorts.

I am still a big fan, but there is a drawback. No matter how well you might know a female - that unstrapping of the Velcro is a total mood killer...