PDA

View Full Version : When you buy a new handgun...

Jpoe88
05-30-15, 10:00
The first thing you do is..........

Do you buy sights, lights, lasers, holsters, mags, ammo, any other components?

There's a point to this. I try to learn my weapon front and back before I go all wonky and changing things and I want to see your perspectives on how you guys do things!

ralph
05-30-15, 10:20
Shoot the gun for awhile first, before changing anything.. I'd put at least 500- 1000rnds through it, and then think carefully about what you'd like to change.. Sights? on most pistols, that's a given, as factory sights are often not much more than slot fillers (Glock's a good example, here) Triggers? for me, it depends, I have a Beretta Vertec that I changed the Hammer, and trigger for upgraded factory parts, in this case there was a noticeable improvement. With a police trade in Gen4,G17 I recently bought, All I'm figuring on doing is swapping sights, (I'm still shopping) and buying some mags, I don't plan on doing anything else to it. Shooting the gun will tell you what, if any changes you may want to make.

MegademiC
05-30-15, 10:44
First handgun, cheap holster and ammo and mags, shoot the crap out of it and find what you need.

I have some experience so I would immediately buy my preference sights.

All guns get broken down and cleaned/lubed before shooting. If it's an HD gun, I'd buy a weaponlight.

For pistols, a lot of people buy triggers, but I'd dry fire the thing thousands of times and develop great trigger contol before spending money on a trigger. If your new to pistol, I'd get some professional training as well by a reputable trainer, many are listed and active posters on this site. The best way to learn the gun is by using it. Live fire teaches you the recoil, allows you to confirm good dry practice is working, grip, gun operation, etc.

Being the guy that changes parts out and mods a gun more often than you shoot it, or buying equipment will not make you a good shooter.

Also, while cleaning, look at how all the parts work together.

Jpoe88
05-30-15, 11:05
I ask this because a lot of guys at the local shops literally buy a new gun solely to trick out before range duty at all and it just seems retarded

RWH24
05-30-15, 11:34
Sigs, I buy clean, shoot, clean repeat. My Sigs are bone stock

M&P's get APEX parts for the trigger.

1911's and BHP, shoot, clean and repeat until you feel the need to change something.

S&W revolvers, most likely a grip change depending on model/caliber

Kain
05-30-15, 11:47
Upon buying a new gun, here are the steps I generally go through.
1. Inspect.
2. Breakdown, wipe down, lube.
3. Shoot.
4. Breakdown and clean, and lube some more.
5. Shoot some more.
6. go home drink beer.
7. Go back to the range at a later date and shoot some more.
8 repeat 6 and 7 for a while.
Then decide what areas said platform may have need to be upgraded, modified, or in generally screwed with, and then continue to repeated 6 and 7 cleaning when I damn well feel like it. Unless the gun is my go to or HD gun at which it may be cleaned on a regular basis.

Seriously, even knowing new glocks are going to need plastic inserts of sights replaced, I would still take it to the range and run it through a couple or few hundred rounds just to make sure the gun is good to go before I change anything. Reason being, I have seen guns, glocks included, not make it 50 rounds before shitting the bed because of major manufacturer **** ups, rails breaking, slides not machined correctly, ect, and I don't want to pour money into something until I think it is at least properly functioning.

samuse
05-30-15, 15:32
I've never bought a gun that I didn't already have experience using.

I played with 1911s for awhile and I would do all sorts of things to them. Kind of a hobby I guess.

Glocks, Sig, Berettas, H&Ks... Just add ammo and holsters and shoot 'em.

I only own Glocks and H&Ks at the moment. Thinking about thinning it down to a couple of P2000s...

125 mph
05-30-15, 16:01
It depends. If it's a gun that I plan on using for CCW, then I won't change much at all besides sights. I don't like to fiddle **** around with a gun that has a serious purpose. If it needs a lot of changes for me to be able to use it as a defensive gun, I'd probably just find a different gun.

My process is buy gun, put on new sights if desired, get holster and mag carriers if necessary. Lube pistol, go shoot.

If it's a gun you're getting just for enjoyment, then go nuts. Whatever makes you happy is cool there.

teksid
05-30-15, 18:26
I just got another Gen4 G19. I'll shoot it as is for a few hundred rounds. Since I might eventually carry it I'll keep it stock and add a Gen3 G17 (smooth face) trigger bar, a Glock 4.5# connector and some Warren Tactical Carry sights (plain Black rear with FO front) and do a heavy .25 trigger job.

Airhasz
05-30-15, 18:34
Sights first, that way they are installed when I receive it and I don't have to chase down a sight tool.

Aaron_B
05-30-15, 20:33
Always sights first, anything else is just done as I see fit.

Jpoe88
05-30-15, 22:21
To all the guys who say sights first, I get it. Have it done before you hit the range and learn the sighting all at once vs get it sighted and used to it and repeat the process again.

MegademiC
05-31-15, 00:15
To all the guys who say sights first, I get it. Have it done before you hit the range and learn the sighting all at once vs get it sighted and used to it and repeat the process again.

To this point(slight thread drift), I found going from m&p stock sights to ameriglo unotch sights, I shot left until I got used to it. It seems I subconsciously set the gap around the front sight based on the left side. Once I focus on perfect sight picture, my groups centered, but it took 3 range trips to finally "get it". Something to be aware of and apply to all mods, it takes more than dry fire to actually test and become proficient with new stuff. Make changes slowly and test everything so you actually understand it.

FishTaco
05-31-15, 00:17
1. Shirtless selfie
2. Pirate costume with holster photo for Match.com. (I have my BFF take that one)
3. Troll glocktalk till ban about its superiority to the G17

GNXII
05-31-15, 08:24
After a quick cleaning and basic function check, off to the range. If everything goes ok,then I drop some coin on extra mags, holsters and Trijicon HDs as my bad eyes like them! Thats for "CCW/Duty/carry guns".For something like a 1911 in 38 Super that is just a "Fun Gun" same as above except no HDs but kinda leave it stock if it runs well, maybe some extra mags. When its time to sell, I just seem to be sble to sell a gun faster with a holster and a few extra mags quicker than just the gun & one mag.

GNXII
05-31-15, 08:25
1. Shirtless selfie
2. Pirate costume with holster photo for Match.com. (I have my BFF take that one)

Now thats funny!!

CFII
05-31-15, 09:11
I shoot it. Then order Dawson sights and a holster (if I plan to carry it). If its a Glock, I start trying to figure out how to make the trigger less garbage (and fail).

Jpoe88
05-31-15, 09:42
XD9 Service:
-new April 2nd 2015
--3rd mag
--ammo
--fobus paddle holster
--uncle mikes IWB

-as of today
--750 down the pipe
--just bought Ameriglo CAP sights
--Powder River Precision Trigger and Sear Springs
--Blue Line Concealment kydex iwb belt clip holster.

That's the angle of approach I've taken. I've felt my way around and haven't installed springs or sights yet. Up in the air if I'm doing it myself or having a Gunsmith do it. I was quoted $45 to do sights and springs.

decodeddiesel
05-31-15, 11:35
"Shoot the gun." That was such a big movement on M4C 5 years ago, kind of surprising the forum has moved away from it. What it means is that before you buy your Punisher Glock slide plate with your 'Merican Flag billet base plates, install the "drop-in" parts for a sub 2-pound trigger pull in your G19, and other equally ridiculous mods you actually bring the gun to a firing range with a good amount of ammo (anything less than 200 rounds is a joke) and SHOOT THE GUN, rinse and repeat as needed. After you have actually learned how your new pistol works, THEN you start changing it to better suit your needs.

I will say that every new pistol I buy I also get at a minimum 2 additional magazines (I like to eventually end up with 8-10x per pistol), a quality OWB holster, and usually better sights.

If the pistol is going to be used for CCW in addition to the previously mentioned items I will also buy a quality IWB holster and at least 100 rounds of premium HP (Ranger T, Gold Dot, etc) earmarked specifically for the new pistol to ensure function. I also will fire at least 500 rounds through the pistol to ensure basic reliability.

Pistols I have bought for use in the CCW role also receive no trigger modifications and no "personalizations". In effect I try to make them look as much like police duty weapons as I can.

This probably belongs in the "Dumbest things in a gunshop" thread, but I saw a guy at a local range years ago with a totenkopf (like the SS one) slide plate on his G19 claiming it his "primary carry gun". Don't be that guy, just don't.

m1a_scoutguy
05-31-15, 15:24
"Shoot the gun." That was such a big movement on M4C 5 years ago, kind of surprising the forum has moved away from it. What it means is that before you buy your Punisher Glock slide plate with your 'Merican Flag billet base plates, install the "drop-in" parts for a sub 2-pound trigger pull in your G19, and other equally ridiculous mods you actually bring the gun to a firing range with a good amount of ammo (anything less than 200 rounds is a joke) and SHOOT THE GUN, rinse and repeat as needed. After you have actually learned how your new pistol works, THEN you start changing it to better suit your needs.

I will say that every new pistol I buy I also get at a minimum 2 additional magazines (I like to eventually end up with 8-10x per pistol), a quality OWB holster, and usually better sights.

If the pistol is going to be used for CCW in addition to the previously mentioned items I will also buy a quality IWB holster and at least 100 rounds of premium HP (Ranger T, Gold Dot, etc) earmarked specifically for the new pistol to ensure function. I also will fire at least 500 rounds through the pistol to ensure basic reliability.

Pistols I have bought for use in the CCW role also receive no trigger modifications and no "personalizations". In effect I try to make them look as much like police duty weapons as I can.

This probably belongs in the "Dumbest things in a gunshop" thread, but I saw a guy at a local range years ago with a totenkopf (like the SS one) slide plate on his G19 claiming it his "primary carry gun". Don't be that guy, just don't.

Pretty much says it all ! New sights are great and are typically "better" than the factory,,but its a rare day if I change them out in the 1st year of getting a new pistol.:) Anyways,New gun,take out of the box & look it over good, they are normally lubed pretty good from the Factory so I run a patch or two down the BBL and its GTG. Glocks typically have the good blue factory lube on them so why take it off. After bringin the pistol home and prepping it I typically spend the night/next day buying mags/holster & mag holders if different from others I have. Go to the range and run it,period,,nothing fancy just shoot it,,I always run 1K through every New gun I buy before I do anything to it,no exceptions. Shooting could included normal range work,practice,shooting steel,etc along with IDPA/USPSA Matches. I did buy a 10-8 rear for my VP9 about 4/5 months ago,,,just haven/t installed it yet. Looking at the Heinies & I am intrigued with them,,so when I get some extra $$$ I could buy a set of them someday. I also like at least 8 mags per gun,10 is better for sure.

Dionysusigma
05-31-15, 15:31
Magazines. I always buy mags first, before anything else. Then ammo. If I decide I'm going to hold onto it, only then do I start changing anything with the pistol itself. Lights are easily transferable between weapons so I don't really include them in that.

If for some reason I don't like the pistol, magazines are the only thing you can include in the sale price that make sense to charge more for. Aftermarket sights, holsters, grips, etc. do NOT add to the value of a gun, unless the prospective buyer wants exactly that thing. Same goes for cars - $1000 worth of modifications does not justify $1000 more in sale price - OEM is far more valuable.

DWood
05-31-15, 15:57
I don't have to put any rounds through a new Glock to know I will change the sights. This was very obvious when I shot my new 43 with the factory sights (because my Ameriglo Spartans had not arrived yet). I can't stand the factory sights. The wide notch in the Ameriglos and orange circle around the front tritium tube work best for me and will go on all my Glocks.

davidjinks
05-31-15, 16:09
Delete

Jpoe88
05-31-15, 17:39
Inspect, clean/lube, replace sights and shoot.

I only buy Glocks anymore. I'm done trying new guns. My familiarity with the Glock makes it easy for me to know what I need vs. what I want.

That's a good point. I only own an xd9 and I consider it the first handgun because it's the only one I've ever purchased new but I've owned and traded for several and thus far I've owned 4 in the xd line up. Funny to say I've had an m&p 9 pro series, gen 3 glock 22, Taurus 24/7 g2, FEG p9r, beretta 92fs, xd45 service, and 2 xd9s prior to my xd 9 I have now and in the guns before hand I had less than 500 rounds thru them combined. Here I sit at 750 in this one xd9 and still am pleased.

Maybe I found my go to?

I create these threads out of my own curiosity, plus they are different and very rarely do I see the same people reply in every thread and I think that's neat. I'm enjoying m4carbine.net and getting to know the "armed demographic" in many different ways. I always hope these threads can help some dope figure out what's what when it comes time to arm up

Achilles11B
05-31-15, 18:25
First thing I get is ammo. Primarily to check for reliability, but also for training purposes. My CCW is a bone-stock Glock 17. I know there are better sights, triggers, etc. but the bullets go where I need them to (if I do my part) so I figure why screw with success. The only attachment I use is a TLR-1.

armtx77
05-31-15, 20:16
I typically have a set of HD night sights in hand when the gun shows up. The next thing I go after is extra mags and I like 6 mags as a minimum. After that is plenty of ammo and rang time.

tuck
05-31-15, 22:08
1. Shirtless selfie

This is the correct answer. ^^^

Personally, I'll buy mags and holsters and call it good. The exception is Glock pistols; they get sights, then mags and holsters.

Jpoe88
05-31-15, 22:15
This is the correct answer. ^^^

Personally, I'll buy mags and holsters and call it good. The exception is Glock pistols; they get sights, then mags and holsters.

What's the consensus on the polymer guide rod? Buddy of mine had a stainless one waiting for him when he got his glock. Sights and guide rod are two major reasons I didn't go with the glock. Money aside, I ended up with more mags and more ammo and didn't feel the need to HAVE to change anything. But I have not been bitten by the bug!

graffex
05-31-15, 22:21
All new handguns get new sights.

tuck
05-31-15, 22:23
What's the consensus on the polymer guide rod? Buddy of mine had a stainless one waiting for him when he got his glock. Sights and guide rod are two major reasons I didn't go with the glock. Money aside, I ended up with more mags and more ammo and didn't feel the need to HAVE to change anything. But I have not been bitten by the bug!

Stainless guide rods are a solution looking for a problem.

Jpoe88
05-31-15, 23:19
Stainless guide rods are a solution looking for a problem.

I get that but so isn't sights? It's all personal preference and I respect that. My question to him was why replace it if it hasn't failed? It's precautionary. I responded with why not buy a gun that's already equipped with what you want? Seriously, stippled and undercut the trigger guard? Modify all you ant but I can't see being that unhappy with a gun I wanted to keep.

tuck
05-31-15, 23:36
I get that but so isn't sights? It's all personal preference and I respect that. My question to him was why replace it if it hasn't failed? It's precautionary. I responded with why not buy a gun that's already equipped with what you want? Seriously, stippled and undercut the trigger guard? Modify all you ant but I can't see being that unhappy with a gun I wanted to keep.

A stainless guide rod in a Glock pistol doesn't measurably improve its performance. Aftermarket sights on the other hand directly influence getting accurate hits on target for a particular shooter. Sight picture is subjective, but something that doesn't markedly improve the mechanical function of the pistol is not.

Jpoe88
05-31-15, 23:49
A stainless guide rod in a Glock pistol doesn't measurably improve its performance. Aftermarket sights on the other hand directly influence getting accurate hits on target for a particular shooter. Sight picture is subjective, but something that doesn't markedly improve the mechanical function of the pistol is not.

If I own a glock 17 and have trij HD and I like them I see the logic on the rest of my pistols being standard equipped with those. I get that. It's a user configuration. I don't see why people feel that the factory config isn't reliable enough. Why buy it?

tuck
05-31-15, 23:54
I don't see why people feel that the factory config isn't reliable enough. Why buy it?

Sight picture aside, the biggest reason people ditch factory glock sights is because they are made of plastic and are quite fragile. If you do any sort of one handed manipulations, the rear sight can very easily be ripped from the dovetail. The plastic threads of the front sight are easily torn out as well, which will cause the front sight to leave unexpectedly.

Jpoe88
06-01-15, 00:01
Sight picture aside, the biggest reason people ditch factory glock sights is because they are made of plastic and are quite fragile. If you do any sort of one handed manipulations, the rear sight can very easily be ripped from the dovetail. The plastic threads of the front sight are easily torn out as well, which will cause the front sight to leave unexpectedly.

That's why I strayed from a g19. That and the guide rod. Doesn't mean I won't own one but I do the one handed stuff just for good measure and I made sure I got something that served my purpose without having to add or change anything because my budget is tight. But now on the other side, I did just buy sights so my argument is shot :lol:

A g19 is on my list when my wife graduates nursing school. Two months left!

Eurodriver
06-01-15, 06:30

He could be a bit prickly, but I miss Rob quite a bit these days...

decodeddiesel
06-01-15, 13:21
He could be a bit prickly, but I miss Rob quite a bit these days...

I've been away for a while and things around here seems to be quite different. Yes, Rob could be a complete DB at times, but he was more often than not right.

brickboy240
06-01-15, 14:15
First thing I do with a new pistol is run at least 5-6 boxes through it. Learn how it shoots and where the sights hit. Learn the best grip for it and learn it's recoil impulse - they are all a bit different if you ask me.

Next range session (before mods) is to run several boxes of whatever defensive ammo I carry, through the gun to check reliability and again...see where it hits.

THEN I might look into changing the sights, adding mags and a holster (if I am to carry it).

Most of the time...with Glocks...sights and a trigger is all they really need.

FishTaco
06-01-15, 20:00
The first thing I do is bring a couple boxes to the range and run them through, see where the POI is. I usually shoot a couple guns at any session.

Basically, I never do much else with it. I generally leave guns stock.

LoveAR
06-01-15, 20:07
The best handgun I ever bought was a full house S&W Shield from G&R. Apex internals, Polish, Apex trigger. and Trijicon sights. Expensive but she has been flawless. All work done by Grant.

GHMann
06-04-15, 21:45
Any new polymer pistols I buy will automatically get Talon Grips first thing. Then I shoot it a while before I decide on any changes. Get some extra mags and ammo and that's about it.

scuba_steve
06-04-15, 22:05
I buy more mags. Then I hit the range. I usually have plenty of ammo.

And for the most part, I am done if I already have a holster that fits it. Otherwise, I get one of those, then I am done.