PDA

View Full Version : Got pulled over

hp35
07-17-08, 07:51
I got pulled over last night on the way home from work, no front license plate.

When I pulled over I got my CCW permit and my drivers license out, CCW on top. When the officer approached I handed him both forms of I.D. and he seemed suprised by the CCW and asked if I was carrying.

My question is, do police not run the plates of the car they pull over before they approach the driver? In Ohio, where I reside, your CCW is tied to your license plate in the system.

Thanks

Robb Jensen
07-17-08, 07:57
In Virginia if the officer runs the Virginia issued plate before getting out and talking to you it'll show that the registered owner of the vehicle has a VA CHP.

I don't think a Virginia officer will see any other states permits if running an out-of-state plate but I've been wrong before and it kinda felt like this. ;)

hp35
07-17-08, 08:11
I just assumed, Ha!, that the officer would use every tool at his disposal to get as much info on me before approaching my car for his own safety.

Detective_D
07-17-08, 08:37
It is not tied in here in Arkansas. When I run my wifes tag, it doesnt show she has a CCW.

So, it might not have told him.
~D

JSandi
07-17-08, 08:58
In TN it is tied to your D/L not your tag, so I won't know until I run the D/L number.

Detective_D
same here...only with DL

UNIT 6639
It is not tied in here in Arkansas. When I run my wifes tag, it doesnt show she has a CCW.

~D

Its legal down there to do that?, the state guys I talk to said its illegal to run plates for no reason/personal reasons in Va.

Not bashing or anything, just asking :)

Detective_D
07-17-08, 09:00
it was actually done to verify a change in vehicle when we did a trade in. ;)

Yes it is illegal for personal reasons.

glockshooter
07-17-08, 10:01
To answer your question no an officer does not usually run your plate before stopping you. The only way I will run someones plates before stopping them is if I am running plates while I am patrolling. Normally I run a persons DL/ID before running the tags. Now what you see while watching police shows is the officer calling the plate into dispatch. This is done incase there is a problem with the stop/person. To answer the other question your permit can be tied to your plates and/or your DL, it is usually both. I'll give you an example of a stop.

Me: 213
Dispatch: 213
Me: busy traffic Atlantic and Myers VA plate KEU-5467.

Matt

BobM
07-17-08, 10:50
I got pulled over last night on the way home from work, no front license plate.

When I pulled over I got my CCW permit and my drivers license out, CCW on top. When the officer approached I handed him both forms of I.D. and he seemed suprised by the CCW and asked if I was carrying.

My question is, do police not run the plates of the car they pull over before they approach the driver? In Ohio, where I reside, your CCW is tied to your license plate in the system.

Thanks

In Ohio, if the car was in your name, it would have come up if the dispatcher ran the plate the officer called in. For whatever reason, the dispatcher also may not have relayed that info to the officer. (I've had that happen a couple of times).

JLM
07-17-08, 17:20
Here its tied to your DL.

Interesting ?: will other states be able to see that if they run your DL? Possibly with RealID coming on line, but I can't say for certain.

TurretGunner
07-17-08, 20:03
Varies state to state?

PRGGodfather
07-17-08, 21:44
Officer Safety considerations vary from state to state, just as much as it varies from individual officer to officer.

In my neck of the woods, calling in the plate before making a traffic stop is SOP -- even though many traffic officers from various locales often violate this principle, as they claim to not want to "burden" dispatch with the number of traffic stops the officer might make in a given shift.

Still, this is bad Officer Safety practice, regardless of the justification or the jurisdiction. At the very least, we would want to have the description and license plate of the vehicle -- after we learn the officer was shot or killed. Sometimes, the first bullet does the trick, which happened in Sacramento County just about two years ago.

Further, CCW information is not attached to DMV registrations in CA, either. It will not be until we run the individual driver that certain records such as "guns registered to" will be revealed.

A good dispatcher will automatically start running the registered owner and advise the officer of the results even before contact is made, but it is not reasonable to assume this will occur on every stop.

In California, we tend to be pretty conscious of this stuff, since we have so many lawyers per capita and so much case law comes out of this state. Our Police Academies are almost 6 months long, compared to other states. That's what happens when we live and work in "occupied" territory.

I hope that helps.

Lumpy196
07-18-08, 11:36
When the officer approached I handed him both forms of I.D. and he seemed suprised by the CCW and asked if I was carrying.

My question is, do police not run the plates of the car they pull over before they approach the driver?

I'm trying to make the connection between him SEEMING surprised to you that you handed him a CCW and the assumption that he didn't run your license plate.

dojpros
07-18-08, 12:35
CCW info is on the Drivers License (Dept. of revenue) database in MO.

KintlaLake
07-18-08, 12:46
In Ohio, if the car was in your name, it would have come up if the dispatcher ran the plate the officer called in. For whatever reason, the dispatcher also may not have relayed that info to the officer.

That's my understanding here in Ohio.

In my experience, a dispatcher "abridging" operator or registrant info is highly unlikely with OSHP, unlikely with county and hit-and-miss with municipals. Which one pinched you, hp35?

lalakai
07-18-08, 14:48
in our state the CCW's are linked to the owner's plates, and it will show. Most of the time though on traffic stops we give location, plates, vehicle description, then are out the door. Agree, there is valuable information that can be learned from running the plates prior to approaching the vehicle, but as most of us know it's not the legal CCW folks that cause the problems.

hp35
07-18-08, 16:50
Lumpy196,
in answer to your question it was a feeling I got and his reaction. I guess you would have had to have been there. I just don't think he had a clue I could have been armed. I have been pulled over before, by OSHP and it felt like 5 mins. passed before the officer made it to my car. During this relaxing interlude I assumed the officer would have been gathering every bit of info on me before approaching.

I was driving through Grandview Heights, suburb of Columbus, so it was local PD.

KintlaLake
07-18-08, 17:01
I was driving through Grandview Heights, suburb of Columbus, so it was local PD.

Noted. ;)

mmike87
07-18-08, 21:37
I got pulled over about six months ago in Culpeper - missed the 35MPH sign getting off of route 29 into town. Totally my fault - just missed the sign.

I slowed down, pulled into convenience store parking lot to avoid blocking traffic. My wife was terrified that if I didn't tell the guy I was carrying I'd go to jail (I've had this conversation with her before). To make a long story short, he was polite and professional, I was polite and just admitted my mistake, and I received a verbal warning. Did he know I had a CCW permit? No idea. He didn't ask, I didn't say anything. I'm sure he must have run our plates.

As far as getting pulled over goes, it was a good experience.

ToddG
07-19-08, 08:50
FWIW, I have been pulled over many times in many different states.

I always tell the officer I've got a gun, very first thing. Actually, my specific chain of comment is "I've got a permit; there's a gun on my hip; it's loaded; what do you want me to do next?"

In all those times, I've received only one ticket after announcing I'm a ccw'er. It was a Fairfax City officer last year who was, let's just say, not a very nice guy.

For contrast, I know for a fact that my permit once got me out of a ticket for going 75mph over the limit on Indian Head Highway in Maryland. :cool:

LOKNLOD
07-19-08, 09:27
I always tell the officer I've got a gun, very first thing. Actually, my specific chain of comment is "I've got a permit; there's a gun on my hip; it's loaded; what do you want me to do next?"

That's a good policy and almost exactly what we were instructed to do here in Oklahoma. I don't know how it would affect an out-of-state permit carrier, but as an OK permit holder, if you don't properly inform the officer that you're carrying upon making contact, it can be a fine, license suspension, even jail time (although I imagine there would need to be some other shenanigans involved to evoke that).

ST911
07-19-08, 11:23
I travel often, have a heavy foot, and get to meet more cops than I should. I don't disclose unless there's an awfully compelling reason to. Few reasons are. If asked, I may or may not disclose. If disclosing, I may not disclose all those present.

I know a number of CLEOs and LEOs who take a different view of armed citizens than I, and more who do nothing for themselves off-duty. I don't care to risk their scrutiny of my EDC gear. Nor their scrutiny of any other assets available for me to employ.

I drive decent well maintained vehicles, and am clean cut. I garner little interest, and the stops are brief and perfunctory.

This is not for everyone. Those less practiced at concealment and/or using poorly chosen gear, both likely to increase likihood of detection, or are otherwise prone to attract attention to their person or vehicle, should probably disclose their status outright.

ToddG
07-19-08, 11:43
I don't disclose because I think I may get caught. I live in a very CCW-unfriendly state (Maryland) and have never once been outed while carrying.

I disclose because in my experience and based on conversations I've had with a lot of LEOs, I feel that it identifies me as one of the good guys, someone who abides by and follows the law because I've got a permit and I let the officer know that I just want this all to end safely for both of us just like he does.

I'd say I'm about 20:1 so far good:bad on the results. YMMV.

Hersh
07-19-08, 16:27

~D

I didn't realize that ... I thought AR permit was tied to our veh. tags. I'm in LR too!

Detective_D
07-19-08, 22:07
Nope it is not Hersh. Like said on here before, a good dispatcher on a not so busy shift will sometimes run the owner of the vehicle after running the tags and could possibly give you the information that way.

But, it is not always that easy as the license plate only gives a name with no race or DOB. So, often you walk up not knowing about the CCW.

So Hersh, you ever go out to Mayflower to shoot???
~D

Hersh
07-19-08, 22:20
But, it is not always that easy as the license plate only gives a name with no race or DOB. So, often you walk up not knowing about the CCW.

So Hersh, you ever go out to Mayflower to shoot???
~D

10-4 .. thanks for that info!

I don't get up to Mayflower very often, but I'm a member out at CASA. I shoot IDPA and Steel Challenge matches out there and also at Benton. Casa is currently doing dirt work on a 200 yard rifle range.

We should hit a range together sometime!

Buck
07-19-08, 23:07
To answer your question no an officer does not usually run your plate before stopping you.

Wrong answer out here on the left coast... In theroy, we run every plate we stop, and also brodcast out stop location with the plate to the RTO, who puts us code 6 at that location on that vehicle...

B

Oscar 319
07-19-08, 23:19
Wrong answer out here on the left coast... In theroy, we run every plate we stop, and also brodcast out stop location with the plate to the RTO, who puts us code 6 at that location on that vehicle...

B

I'm with Buck and the KMA367. I ALWAYS, if practical, run a plate before a stop. Call me crazy, but it is nice to know if the vehicle your stopping is stolen, wanted or improper before you initiate a stop or make contact. Stolen vehicles seem to have a thing with stopping ....they don't. And if and when they do, the misunderstood occupants always have some shinanigans to keep you on your toes (dope/warrants/guns/girl scout cookies).

O319

Oscar 319
07-19-08, 23:30
I don't disclose because I think I may get caught. I live in a very CCW-unfriendly state (Maryland) and have never once been outed while carrying.

I disclose because in my experience and based on conversations I've had with a lot of LEOs, I feel that it identifies me as one of the good guys, someone who abides by and follows the law because I've got a permit and I let the officer know that I just want this all to end safely for both of us just like he does.

I'd say I'm about 20:1 so far good:bad on the results. YMMV.

Exactly. If your in possession of a valid CCW/CFP your a friendly and not the guy I'm looking for. You'll had to have really screwed up to get a ticket from me.

I can tell you that I did stop a car load of 'bangers one night and the passenger claimed the POS Lorcin .380 under the seat. Oh, did I mention there was dope and warrants in that car too? He ended up getting his permit revoked.

dwhitehorne
07-20-08, 15:28

B

Wrong answer here in the rest of Virginia too. I'm as quilty as the next guy for not marking out on a few stops but it is stupid not to. We have all heard the the first and only transmission over the radio of an officer screaming for help and one one knows where he is. David

NCPatrolAR
07-20-08, 16:49
Its rare for me not to run a plate before stopping a vehicle. In NC, CCH permit status is tied to your operator license; not your registration plate.

.308holes
07-23-08, 02:30
Here (Virginia), if you have a CCW permit and you are carrying when you are stopped, you are REQUIRED to advise that you have a permit and you are armed.
There is a list of requirements that have to be met. If you are carrying, you must have your License, the permit on your person. If you are concealed and are stopped without the permit (assuming the pistol is found) you can be charged.

Robb Jensen
07-23-08, 06:20
Here (Virginia), if you have a CCW permit and you are carrying when you are stopped, you are REQUIRED to advise that you have a permit and you are armed.
There is a list of requirements that have to be met. If you are carrying, you must have your License, the permit on your person. If you are concealed and are stopped without the permit (assuming the pistol is found) you can be charged.

Do you know what the VA Code is for this requirement? I've never been able to find it and we sell VA Code books to Police officers and I've never heard of it.

The VA State Police website doesn't indicate anything reading that a CHP is required to inform.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm

Detective_D
07-23-08, 07:39
As far as here in Arkansas, our code states...

5-73-315 Possession of license -- Identification of licensee.

(a) Any person possessing a valid license issued pursuant to this subchapter
may carry a concealed handgun.
(b) The licensee must carry the license, together with valid identification,
at all times in which the licensee is carrying a concealed handgun and must
display both the license and proper identification upon demand by a law
enforcement officer.

History. Acts 1995, No. 411, s 2; 1995, No. 419, s 2.

A.C.A. s 5-73-315 AR ST s 5-73-315

So, it says when demanded, they have to show it, but not when approached or stopped. I think it is a good idea to tell an officer you are carrying and are properly licensed right away though.

I would rather find out about the license before I find out about the firearm.

DrMark
07-23-08, 09:47
Do you know what the VA Code is for this requirement? I've never been able to find it and we sell VA Code books to Police officers and I've never heard of it.

The VA State Police website doesn't indicate anything reading that a CHP is required to inform.

I too would love to see the code reference.

I have repeatedly been told that if you have a CCW permit and you are carrying when you are stopped, you are NOT REQUIRED to advise that you have a permit and you are armed.

If this is incorrect, I'd love to have a refence to cite.

.308holes
07-23-08, 10:24
At 0330 I am prone to make mistakes. It should say that you are required to produce it when asked.
I was thinking ahead of myself on the requirements of having your Gov't ID and permit on your person at all times while armed.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

Robb Jensen
07-23-08, 10:29
At 0330 I am prone to make mistakes. It should say that you are required to produce it when asked.
I was thinking ahead of myself on the requirements of having your Gov't ID and permit on your person at all times while armed.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

No problem. I was just curious where you heard that.
In VA I always hand over my CHP (permit) with my DL and registration and put my hands on the wheel and turn on the interior light if it's at night time. It's gotten me out of ticket more than 75% of the time.

.308holes
07-23-08, 11:21
Thanks for being understanding.
I believe that is the best practice. I know CWP = no ticket from me.....well there was that ONE, but he had a narcotics problem, like several ounces with him, and no permit on his person ....and I KNOW that that one was a violation....as a matter of fact gotM4, you can walk down the street, a little to your North, and ask him.;)

time check:1206, I'm good

DrMark
07-23-08, 12:05
Thanks .308holes.

PaulL
07-23-08, 15:31
Maybe some Texas LEO-types can confirm, but I believe here your CHL is tied to your DL, and any time you are asked for ID, you must also show your CHL. I don't remember whether or not you have to reveal your carry status, but I do in a traffic stop. I usually just keep my hands on the wheel, and tell them first thing that I have a CHL and I'm carrying. My experiences have always been pleasant, other than the occasional speeding ticket that I deserved, but one time I did have a state trooper ask me why I thought I needed to carry a gun. He asked if I drove through a bad neighborhood or carried a lot of money. I though that was kind of a stupid question to ask an obvious "good guy" who only got pulled over for a brake light out. I just told him I carried for the same reason he did. Apparently, that was a good enough answer. I got a warning, and fixed the brake light on the way home. :D

dbrowne1
07-23-08, 16:21
I've had the misfortune of being stopped twice in the last 8 months for minor speeding violations (47/35 and 76/65) after years of driving the same way with no stops.

First time it was a local officer on a motorcycle. I handed him my permit and DL, told him I was armed, he could not have cared less. Told me just to leave it where it was. Result: I got a ticket.

Second time was a state trooper on an interstate. I had another person in the car with me, and decided not to disclose for the reasons alluded to by "Skintop." Trooper never asked, I never told. Result: I got a ticket.

I realize this is a small sample, but it did reinforce my feeling that most cops don't really care one way or another.

MAUSER202
07-23-08, 19:19
In PA you are required to to tell an officer if you have a ccw/weapon. The two times I was stopped I told the officers and they both made me take my weapon out hold it by the barrel and hand it to them. This just seemed very dangerous to me, possile accident ect. They then pointed it down and unloaded it and after the stop gave it back to me unloaded.
I think it was very unnecicary and caused tension. Only one of the stops did I receive a ticket.

Detective_D
07-23-08, 19:35
There is no way in hell I would ask someone to take out their ccw and hand it to me for any reason.

WHY????? That makes no sense to me.

CPR
07-23-08, 21:28
I too would love to see the code reference.

I have repeatedly been told that if you have a CCW permit and you are carrying when you are stopped, you are NOT REQUIRED to advise that you have a permit and you are armed.

If this is incorrect, I'd love to have a refence to cite.

Same here. I've been under the assumption that you don't have to disclose to an officer that you're CCW'ing in VA if pulled for speeding, etc.

DrMark
07-23-08, 22:17
Same here. I've been under the assumption that you don't have to disclose to an officer that you're CCW'ing in VA if pulled for speeding, etc.

He responded that he misspoke.

I think we're all in agreement that VA is a state that does not require disclosure.