PDA

View Full Version : Sky Dive for B Day

WillBrink
05-31-15, 08:46
On my list of things to do was jump from a perfectly good plane. As I'm not getting any younger, I decided this was the B Day to do it. It was a rush to be sure. Next on the list is hog hunting from a helo in TX. :cool:

There's a school fairly close that one can get one cert for solo jumps I'd consider, but it's not cheap or fast.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/rLRLhVRFvXW8MgVVwDadHOjFc375fBvlLpz8fercjIs_zpsjqn3cc6g.jpg (http://s23.photobucket.com/user/willbrink/media/rLRLhVRFvXW8MgVVwDadHOjFc375fBvlLpz8fercjIs_zpsjqn3cc6g.jpg.html)

Hmac
05-31-15, 09:28
Congratulations on that!

I've never tandem-jumped. When I started skydiving decades ago, the ParaCommander was state-of-the-art, with it's L/D at a whopping 1.5:1 (today's ram airs can get up to, what? 8:1 or better?). It could turn and stall, and that was about the limit of control. Back then, there were no tandem rigs. First four jumps were strictly static-line, then they gave you a dummy ripcord. If you consistently pulled the dummy, they'd let you off the static line, but no free fall - just hop-and-pop, then progress to 10-count. Then it was working on chute technique to qualify for your Class A license.

Getting back into skydiving is one of those things I keep meaning to do, just haven't done it yet. I envy you the experience. That first jump tends to stay in your mind in crisp detail for, well, decades.

WillBrink
05-31-15, 09:40
Congratulations on that!

I've never tandem-jumped. When I started skydiving decades ago, the ParaCommander was state-of-the-art, with it's L/D at a whopping 1.5:1 (today's ram airs can get up to, what? 8:1 or better?). It could turn and stall, and that was about the limit of control. Back then, there were no tandem rigs. First four jumps were strictly static-line, then they gave you a dummy ripcord. If you consistently pulled the dummy, they'd let you off the static line, but no free fall - just hop-and-pop, then progress to 10-count. Then it was working on chute technique to qualify for your Class A license.

Getting back into skydiving is one of those things I keep meaning to do, just haven't done it yet. I envy you the experience. That first jump tends to stay in your mind in crisp detail for, well, decades.

For better or worse, it's difficult to solo jump noq. I don't know how it works, like state to state, etc., but I inquired as to what it would take to solo. 8 tandems, 25 with instructor, class time, and other stuff for about 2k. Obviously, makes it much safer than a few static jumps and off you go, but seems a little excessive to me. Maybe different in other states, don't know how that works.

Hmac
05-31-15, 11:44
For better or worse, it's difficult to solo jump noq. I don't know how it works, like state to state, etc., but I inquired as to what it would take to solo. 8 tandems, 25 with instructor, class time, and other stuff for about 2k. Obviously, makes it much safer than a few static jumps and off you go, but seems a little excessive to me. Maybe different in other states, don't know how that works.

For me, the class time and non-jumping instruction was part of an adjunct university course while I was in college. I learned to fly gliders as part of the same program. No credits, no grade, but lots of fun. For skydiving, the jumping part was when the costs started racking up, but nothing like today. I'm sure it's safer now, although I don't recall feeling particularly endangered. The curriculum was pretty much standard protocol endorsed by the USSPA. Many fewer factors then compared to now, and as I said, tandem wasn't an option. The round chutes of yesteryear were pretty simple by comparison to today's ram-air chutes, so I'm sure that accounts for a lot of the instruction now. It was a blast, though. I so vividly remember that first jump, standing on the step with the wind in my face and a death grip on the wing strut....

Abraham
05-31-15, 11:59
For years, my ex-wife kept telling how much she'd like to jump out of an airplane.

Then one day on the skeet range, we heard "Cease Fire - Cease Fire"!

The range was being landed on by parachutists who'd gotten blown off course.

I talked to one of them and it turned out a small airport was about a mile away and there was a sky dive school there.

I looked at my ex-wife and said "now's your chance" thinking she'd be thrilled. We drove over to the airport, found the school and my ex-wife looked at me and said: "Nuh Uh! No way - No how!" I was shocked as I thought she'd never chicken out.

I'd always said I thought it a bad idea and something I had no interest in doing.

So, I immediately/impulsively signed up for the next class and that was the following day.

We had a class of 12 at the end of which we pulled straws for who would go first, second, etc.

I got the number one slot and did a static line jump at 2750 ft. I had to crawl out holding onto the back of the wing and while holding onto the wing, put my feet on a plate of steel a little larger than a vehicle license plate that was attached to the fuselage. When the jump master said go, I pushed off backwards into a hard arch.

I got a tiny bit of freefall before the static line deployed the chute and enjoyed a most peaceful ride to earth.

WillBrink
05-31-15, 12:39
For years, my ex-wife kept telling how much she'd like to jump out of an airplane.

Then one day on the skeet range, we heard "Cease Fire - Cease Fire"!

The range was being landed on by parachutists who'd gotten blown off course.

I talked to one of them and it turned out a small airport was about a mile away and there was a sky dive school there.

I looked at my ex-wife and said "now's your chance" thinking she'd be thrilled. We drove over to the airport, found the school and my ex-wife looked at me and said: "Nuh Uh! No way - No how!" I was shocked as I thought she'd never chicken out.

I'd always said I thought it a bad idea and something I had no interest in doing.

So, I immediately/impulsively signed up for the next class and that was the following day.

We had a class of 12 at the end of which we pulled straws for who would go first, second, etc.

I got the number one slot and did a static line jump at 2750 ft. I had to crawl out holding onto the back of the wing and while holding onto the wing, put my feet on a plate of steel a little larger than a vehicle license plate that was attached to the fuselage. When the jump master said go, I pushed off backwards into a hard arch.

I got a tiny bit of freefall before the static line deployed the chute and enjoyed a most peaceful ride to earth.

The plane I was tiny and old. The pilot was wearing flip flops and maybe late 20s. High winds almost forced them to shut down for the day ( was told some other places had closed for the day due to the winds), and we had 4 hour delay 'till wind gusts dropped to "safe" levels. Take off was interesting... the instructor however was highly experienced guy with 8k + jumps and ex mil of some sort from the UK. He was a funny SOB, so that helped my confidence levels we'd be GTG one way or another as I get the distinct impression he was of the BTDT mold. We jumped at just under 10k ft and pulled at 5k ft. Not sure how long a free fall that is, but terminal velocity times 5k would be the free fall time, or there abouts I guess.

It really gives me appreciation for those who jump out of planes from far greater heights, loaded down with gear, into places no one wants them to be and a "good" landing is not getting shot on site.

Not sure if I'll do it again some time or it was bucket list. I'm 50/50 on that at the moment.

SkiDevil
05-31-15, 22:28
If you ever make it down to SoCal Will, then you can solo jump here. I went to this school myself. Great time, nothing like freefall at 120 MPH. My first jump was at 13,500 Ft. The cord was pulled at 3,000 Ft. Serious kick in the ass.

Just make sure that your boys are not under your harness straps or it will certainly be a jump to remember when the chute is pulled. Unlike the movies you can't hear shit until after the chute is pulled and you are floating down. It's something like driving a Hundred miles per hour in a car and sticking your head out the window.

http://skydiveperris.com/aff/

WillBrink
06-01-15, 06:45
If you ever make it down to SoCal Will, then you can solo jump here. I went to this school myself. Great time, nothing like freefall at 120 MPH. My first jump was at 13,500 Ft. The cord was pulled at 3,000 Ft. Serious kick in the ass.

Just make sure that your boys are not under your harness straps or it will certainly be a jump to remember when the chute is pulled. Unlike the movies you can't hear shit until after the chute is pulled and you are floating down. It's something like driving a Hundred miles per hour in a car and sticking your head out the window.

http://skydiveperris.com/aff/

Thanx man! No solo jumps around here until you get a PhD in physics it seems.

Wake27
06-01-15, 12:27
My wife and I just jumped for the first time in February. I'd like to get certified but I don't really have that kind of time right now. Even tandem, it was awesome though - we also jumped at about 13,500 - over the North Shore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkiDevil
06-02-15, 01:43
Thanx man! No solo jumps around here until you get a PhD in physics it seems.

A belated Happy Birthday Will! :)

After having jumped the Solo, I actually recommend going the tandem route to most folks. I think it provides a less stressful experience and you will know what to expect when you go out the door on your own.

It takes some intestinal fortitude to jump out of a perfectly operating plane. Hope that you enjoyed the experience.

WillBrink
06-02-15, 06:22
A belated Happy Birthday Will! :)

After having jumped the Solo, I actually recommend going the tandem route to most folks. I think it provides a less stressful experience and you will know what to expect when you go out the door on your own.

It takes some intestinal fortitude to jump out of a perfectly operating plane. Hope that you enjoyed the experience.

I did. Here's da vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUYYR7ON6Ok

Pi3
06-02-15, 12:28
I did several static line jumps back in college. Stepping off of that airplane the first time was one of the hardest things I ever did. Back then, after 5 static line jumps, they let you free fall, but I never got to that point-ran out of time & $. Jumping again is on my bucket list.