PDA

View Full Version : New Glock: How to get one with a good stock trigger?

wrx04
05-31-15, 14:53
Im getting a new Glock for father's day, and ive decided to go with a 19 or 17(gen4). While at the range today, i handled one of each and noticed the triggers were pretty crappy on both. Seemed mushy.

I have a Gen 3 19 (my only Glock) and i must have gotten lucky because it has a pretty damn good trigger. I shoot 1911's often, so i am spoiled a bit, but my 19 has a very consistent, crisp break. Much better than what i felt in the new guns at the shop today.

My question is this: Do you guys only buy guns that you have felt the trigger? Have you noticed a difference from gun to gun?

I would prefer to keep the trigger stock. This gun will be used for training classes and an HD gun. The 17 felt better in my hand today, but i already have a crapload of mags and holsters for the 19, so im torn which one to go with. Let me know if you have any opinions on this.

sinister
05-31-15, 15:30
I bought a range rental Gen4 G17 that had an ungodly number of rounds through. It had the best Glock trigger I ever shot (and I wasn't a Glock guy).

I've replaced the barrel, the firing pin safety plunger and spring, and shot thousands of rounds through it.

Maybe they just need to be broken in and smoothed?

Mark71
05-31-15, 15:46
Maybe they just need to be broken in and smoothed?

I personally think this is the case with Glocks. My Gen3 Glock 19 that I purchased new in 07 has thousands of rounds through it. The gun is bone stock with the exception of sights, and the trigger is excellent. I have even been asked what connector I use or trigger work I have had done because the trigger is that nice.

davidjinks
05-31-15, 16:03
Delete

Rattlehead
05-31-15, 17:39
The more you shoot it the better it gets.

We have some with round counts over 100k with the stock trigger bar and connector still installed and it feels like someone dropped a Geissele trigger into the gun.

Caeser25
05-31-15, 19:29
Get a Zev connector. It made a world of a difference on my 17. This had thousands of rounds through it already.

GO_ALLOUT
05-31-15, 19:47
I have a Gen 3, 17 with thousands of rounds through it and aside from some polished components it was all bone stock and IMO had a pretty great trigger...but, I had a recent birthday and I got an agency arms flat trigger. I chose their drop in as it utilizes almost all factory components and I'm a big fan of flat triggers (honestly that's the only reason I bothered)!

I literally just installed it on Friday so I haven't had a chance to get out to the range but dry firing it is noticeably different!

wrx04
05-31-15, 20:04
Well, i went to Gander Mtn tonight just to handle a couple more guns and see if they differed from each other. All the triggers felt the same.....little bit of creep.

Maybe it's because my gun has several thousand rounds through it, but it is night and day better. My gun hits a hard wall after take-up, then breaks clean. These guns felt mushy with a random break.

I think i may just buy one and shoot the crap out of it. Maybe it will smooth out with use. I know its a glock, and it should be plenty good for a HD/training/IDPA gun.

Etho
05-31-15, 20:09
Glock triggers get "better" with age. It will NEVER be a 1911 trigger, not to mention it isn't meant to be a 1911 trigger. That being said, there is a tolerance range allowed by the factory. I don't recall what it is without digging through my armorers manual. So they aren't all created equal.

Either way, the more rounds, the smoother they get. I notice a huge difference if I shoot my wife's 19 since it has a significantly lower round count than both my 26 and 17. Even my 26 isn't as smooth because it doesn't have as high of a round count as my 17. My 17 has several thousand actual rounds and probably a couple thousand worth of dry fires on it.

FlyingHunter
05-31-15, 20:09
I think i may just buy one and shoot the crap out of it. Maybe it will smooth out with use.

That's the smart way to do it and not only will it get smoother but your brain/muscle/trigger memory will be very "dialed in".

glocktogo
05-31-15, 20:21
A. Go to a stocking dealer with a large inventory and ask to dry fire until you find one you like.

2. Buy Glock, take home, do .25 cent trigger job, done!

Doublestack45
05-31-15, 20:21
Noticed the trigger differences after installing Gen4 17 trigger bars in three different 19's and one 26. Each one felt a little different, with one being the absolute best trigger I've ever felt. I agree that they do smooth out with use somewhat, but the stamped metal does interface differently with each gun. Sometimes you luck out with a great one from the start.

Jpoe88
05-31-15, 20:57
Weird, I thought they were perfect out of the box?

Check out a few at your LGS. Tell them you have cash in hand and see if they will let you hand select one.

BufordTJustice
05-31-15, 21:16
Gen 4 guns have a heavier trigger pull than the previous gens. Grab a zev V4 or ghost edge connector and you'll be much happier.

wrx04
05-31-15, 21:23
Doublestack, thats what my G19 feels like. I swear it is *almost* a 1911 trigger. My 1911's are pretty much as good as it gets, and my G19 is damn close....just a little heavier.

I never understood why guys bitched about the glock trigger, but maybe i got really lucky with the first one.

wrx04
05-31-15, 21:25
Weird, I thought they were perfect out of the box?

Check out a few at your LGS. Tell them you have cash in hand and see if they will let you hand select one.

I may try that.

wrx04
05-31-15, 21:27
Gen 4 guns have a heavier trigger pull than the previous gens. Grab a zev V4 or ghost edge connector and you'll be much happier.

Honestly, i dont care too much about how heavy or light the trigger is, but a nice crisp and predictable trigger is important to me. The good news is there is a ton of aftermarket options if i end up with a crappy one.

wrx04
05-31-15, 21:29
A. Go to a stocking dealer with a large inventory and ask to dry fire until you find one you like.

2. Buy Glock, take home, do .25 cent trigger job, done!

What is a .25 cent trigger job? I hear everyone talking about it, but what is it?

Jpoe88
05-31-15, 21:43
I may try that.

Maybe try and get the display. It's been handled and cycled more and seen a ton of dry fire I'm sure. I had the option for a discounted deal on my xd bc the display was available but I don't like the idea of everyone and their bro handling it. There's tolerances on machining on what's acceptable to use so you may find something a little better tuned. You definitely don't want a "Monday" or a "Friday" gun for sure.

Alternatively,grab one and find your local glock guru and get him to slick the trigger up a little?

Jpoe88
05-31-15, 21:46
I'd have a hard time dropping any coin to "fix" a brand new gun. Wouldn't buy it if I didn't like it within reason. Not saying it's wrong, but I see slot of folks just waste money to have the cool parts versus Learning proper technique, handling, and practice.

BufordTJustice
05-31-15, 21:52
Honestly, i dont care too much about how heavy or light the trigger is, but a nice crisp and predictable trigger is important to me. The good news is there is a ton of aftermarket options if i end up with a crappy one.
Well, I ended up with an especially sh*tty g19 gen4. 9+ pounds and it felt like glock added a handful of sand for good measure.

It took replacing the trigger bar, the safety plunger (which had a serious finish defect), polishing the bore of the safety plunger raceway (which had developed a nice little burr due to the gouging of the factory plunger), and a new connector for it to be decent. Glock wanted me to send it back and advised on a wait time of up to several months via my LEO regional glock rep. So I performed the repair myself.

Hand picking one is preferable if possible.

Jpoe88
05-31-15, 22:03
Well, I ended up with an especially sh*tty g19 gen4. 9+ pounds and it felt like glock added a handful of sand for good measure.

It took replacing the trigger bar, the safety plunger (which had a serious finish defect), polishing the bore of the safety plunger raceway (which had developed a nice little burr due to the gouging of the factory plunger), and a new connector for it to be decent. Glock wanted me to send it back and advised on a wait time of up to several months via my LEO regional glock rep. So I performed the repair myself.

Hand picking one is preferable if possible.

Man that sucks. I know you glock guys are loyal but I'd have to stray at that point. Every brand has its lemons for sure.

BufordTJustice
05-31-15, 22:22
Man that sucks. I know you glock guys are loyal but I'd have to stray at that point. Every brand has its lemons for sure.
Seeing how bad the deputies in my agency abuse them, and have them still work flawlessly in the most defiant fashion, it's hard to stray. Having trusted my life to one, and had it bring me home in very literal fashion, I suppose it's a slightly biased and emotional attachment. But I tend to stay attached to what has served me well in harm's way.

Can't blame anybody for giving up on a brand after an experience like that. But, I identified what was wrong so a fix was simple for me. Just some elbow grease and patience.

Jpoe88
05-31-15, 23:24
Been there done that! I picked what I have and absolutely love it and 100% trust it.

BufordTJustice
05-31-15, 23:43
Been there done that! I picked what I have and absolutely love it and 100% trust it.
Honestly, if I had been through the fire with SIG or HK or S&W, I'd probably stick with whatever got me home safe.

Jpoe88
05-31-15, 23:52
Honestly, if I had been through the fire with SIG or HK or S&W, I'd probably stick with whatever got me home safe.

And that's nice to know that the preference is because it's kept you alive, not because some YouTube junkie says it's the best.

Caeser25
06-01-15, 04:21
I'd have a hard time dropping any coin to "fix" a brand new gun. Wouldn't buy it if I didn't like it within reason. Not saying it's wrong, but I see slot of folks just waste money to have the cool parts versus Learning proper technique, handling, and practice.

The Zev was only $15 shipped. Its a mass produced gun not a custom 1911. Just get a connector and be done with it.

glocktogo
06-01-15, 04:41
What is a .25 cent trigger job? I hear everyone talking about it, but what is it?

It's also called a "fluff & buff". Glocks are very easy to disassemble completely. In doing so, you can access all the friction points in the trigger & ignition systems. From there you just buff out the tool marks and surface imperfections. I like to use auto paint sandpaper from 800 to 2000 grit (where necessary) and then Flitz on a Dremel felt bob. You just have to be judicious and remember that you're not trying to remove every last mark, just the ones that cause staging, dragging and gritty feel.

Just Google "glock 25 cent trigger job video" and you'll get plenty of hits on it.

PatrioticDisorder
06-01-15, 06:04
If you have a Gen4 replace with G17 gen3 trigger bar, install minus connector, perform .25 cent trigger job, properly treat parts with fire clean, put some rounds down range and viola, the trigger will be more than acceptable, very PPQish.

I also forgot to add, install Apex plunger.

ucrt
06-01-15, 08:09

Find a good used one that someone broke in for you. Just look at the pin ends to make sure some Spoonbill didn't take it apart to "upgrade" with kaka parts.

sasage
06-01-15, 18:14
Me personally, I like a Gen 3 trigger bar and a minus connector. You could order another trigger bar and connector and see if that improves it.

GHMann
06-04-15, 21:53
I installed an LWD 3.5 connector and 6# trigger spring in my Gen 2 Glock 17. That lightened the trigger pull to 4.5 lb - 5 lb. Also did the .25 cent trigger job. It's smoother and lighter, but definitely not crisp.