PDA

View Full Version : 6.8 spc options?

jess_su
07-17-08, 09:54
Looking to obuild a 6.8 rifle for around $700 minus optics and mount.

A model 1 sales kit and a Essential arms 6.8 lower receiver fit the bill, just wondering what else there is out there worth considering. I have done a lot of searching and most uppers are pretty high priced. I already have a precision Ar15, just looking for more bullet to hunt medium game with. An Ar-10 would be perfect since the ammo is plentiful, but the price doesn't seem worth it for my purposes. Maybe if I can find a used one eventually.

I guess the best thing would be if I could find a used 6.8mm upper that was of good quality. I am opting for a 18" or 20" with a free float tube, a3 upper, and a single rail gas block.

Any advice is appreciated. From what I can tell my ar-15 experience may not have much weight when it comes to 6.8mm builds, as I see several trusted ar15 products getting complaints when they were adapted to the 6.8mm.

Stephen_H
07-17-08, 10:11
You'll be much, much better off getting a complete upper from Cardinal Armory (http://cardinalarmory.com/cardarm-pcart/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=14). They are the current leader in non-stainless barrels for the 6.8mm SPC (latest/correct chamber and rifling). His uppers start at around $500.

Stephen

jess_su
07-17-08, 10:25
You'll be much, much better off getting a complete upper from Cardinal Armory (http://cardinalarmory.com/cardarm-pcart/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=14). They are the current leader in non-stainless barrels for the 6.8mm SPC (latest/correct chamber and rifling). His uppers start at around $500.

Stephen

I did some research there and the cheapest upper I found tehre was $680 (The listed prices do not include bolts or charging handles). While the quality may be better, thats $20 more than the entire model1 rifle with a essential arms lower receiver will cost me, and when you add a free float tube and sight base the price goes up even more.

MadDog
07-17-08, 11:59
jess su:
Model1's 6.8 SPC "complete kit" less receiver, is $680 with a chrome lined barrel. The barrel however, is a 1:9.5" twist with the old style extension. Most people will tell you to stay away from that twist and extension. Model1 does not offer the 1:11" twist new extension barrels that most people recomend.

The choice is yours, just giving you a little background,
MadDog ;)

jess_su
07-17-08, 12:23
What are the benefits of the 1/11 twist. I suspose it would last longer, but wouldn't be able to stablize the heavier of bullets?

Stephen_H
07-17-08, 13:10
I would save up the extra $200 and go with the Cardinal upper, but that is just my opinion. If you are only trying to meet a price point then the Model 1 Sales kit will certainly accomplish that.

Stephen

DMZ666
07-17-08, 13:17
I would save up the extra $200 and go with the Cardinal upper, but that is just my opinion.
If you are only trying to meet a price point then the Model 1 Sales kit will certainly accomplish that.
Stephen
...and then you will spend an additional $400+ fixing it to make it comparable to the Cardinal upper- and it still won't be right .

edited for clarification

Buckaroo
07-17-08, 13:18
Just in case I am the only one who didn't know about the name change (and was wondering why no one had mentioned Ko=tonics).

From the Cardinal website:

Cardinal Armory (formerly Ko-tonics)

Cardinal Armory Bargain uppers Here (http://www.cardinalarmory.com/cardarm-pcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=42)

caporider
07-17-08, 13:48
What are the benefits of the 1/11 twist. I suspose it would last longer, but wouldn't be able to stablize the heavier of bullets?

You want a 1:11 twist 4-groove barrel and an SPCII chamber. The 1:11 twist will stabilize bullets past 130gr, which are the biggest you can reasonably load given the dimensional restrictions of an AR magazine.

The biggest reason to go with a 1:11/SPCII barrel: you can shoot hotter loads (like the Silver State Armory combat loads with the 110gr Pro Hunters) SAFELY. Hotter loads = better performance at range, less wind deflection, etc.

I'll second the recommendation to go with Cardinal Armory; otherwise, you can go with Rock River, which produces a sub-$500 complete 6.8 upper (including BCG and CH, no CL) with a 1:10/SPCII barrel, which is much better at any rate than the Model 1 offering.

ccoker
07-17-08, 14:56
yep, you can run the hotter loads
people are getting some very fast loads out of the round

join 68forums.com if you really want to get the lowdown on the cartridge and available makers of barrels, uppers, etc..

my upper was built by AR15Performance.com, it's a mid weight 18" DMR chambered fluted stainless

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/6632/coker68ky2.th.jpg (http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=coker68ky2.jpg)

jess_su
07-17-08, 20:04
Thanks for all of the helpful information. I think I am going to keep my eye out for a used upper from one of the higher quality companies. I can usually find quality used lower parts and stocks cheap as well.

I have asked this question on other ar15.com message boards and have not gotten nearly as much useful information.

jess_su
07-17-08, 20:47
I was looking at teh RRA website and saw they had some good priced 6.8 uppers

I noticed that the twist rate was neither 9.5 or 11 but 10. Is this one of the more recent rates? The chamber is listed as SAAMI II, not sure if that is the same as spcII. These uppers would be perfect if I could get a railed gas-block.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=250

ccoker
07-17-08, 23:23
RRA is 1 in 10 but there is talk they may do a 1 in 11

I did see a used 18" cardinal / kotonics on AR15 in the last few days

jess_su
07-18-08, 02:01
I think I missed it, I saw it but it was to early in my research to make a purchase.

rob_s
07-18-08, 06:23
Just in case I am the only one who didn't know about the name change (and was wondering why no one had mentioned Ko=tonics).

From the Cardinal website:

Thanks for that, I didn't know it.

CavReconScout
07-18-08, 13:16
I'm running a Stag 6.8 with 1/10" twist with the SPCII chamber. It doesn't have M4 feedramps, but to date that hasn't been an issue. I'm going to use it as a patrol rifle, and the 6.8, even using the standard combat loads, has some balls. I paid $465 out the door for the upper at my local dealer, with one CP magazine.