PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone else like to see the old S&W GEN 3 pistols comeback??

C4IGrant
06-01-15, 11:15
Particulary models 3914 or 5904? I think they would need to be melonited though. What say you?

C4

Joe R.
06-01-15, 11:38
Grant, I carried a third gen Smith for a lot of years. I never had a problem with the guns but I'm not sure I see a market for the 5900 series gun at this point. The 3913-14 might have a niche and I could see some guys liking the manual safety especially for AIWB carry but with the market for single column compact pistols being so crowded right now how many would they really sell?

C4IGrant
06-01-15, 11:50
Grant, I carried a third gen Smith for a lot of years. I never had a problem with the guns but I'm not sure I see a market for the 5900 series gun at this point. The 3913-14 might have a niche and I could see some guys liking the manual safety especially for AIWB carry but with the market for single column compact pistols being so crowded right now how many would they really sell?

I think a melonited version would do well. If you remember this gun that S&W did specially for us, it was received well: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?23997-One-of-a-kind-S-amp-W-3953

C4

Kain
06-01-15, 11:57
I think it would have as much chance as anything at the moment. I would say that some of the fudds would jump on it, since it is metal, and S&W, and both are supposed to be superior to plastic and none S&W guns, at least in some circles. I also know a few who continue to swear by the guns, some even are able to shoot them kind of scary well. I'm talking being able to hit 3 liter bottle at 100 yards without too much hassle. Granted I can do pretty well at the same distances with a 92, but still impressive feat.

Etho
06-01-15, 12:13
With the older segment of shooters, probably. Newer/younger shooters, no way. Strikers, plastic and high capacity rule the interest of newer/younger shooters. I'll even go out on a limb(read: talking out of my ass) and say that the 1911 will be all but dead and a boutique pistol in the very near future. If it isn't already closer than I suspect.

C4IGrant
06-01-15, 12:20
With the older segment of shooters, probably. Newer/younger shooters, no way. Strikers, plastic and high capacity rule the interest of newer/younger shooters. I'll even go out on a limb(read: talking out of my ass) and say that the 1911 will be all but dead and a boutique pistol in the very near future. If it isn't already closer than I suspect.

People have been saying that about 1911's for a long time. WC has some kind of crazy 4-6 month wait for their 1911's. We sell as many Colt M45's in the ($1800 dollar range) as we can get our hands on.

Classics will always sell well.

C4

Gary1911A1
06-01-15, 12:42
Maybe it's an old guy type of thing to want metal pistols, but I would be interested in both models. Frankly S&W can keep their M&P, Sigma and their other polymer crap.

jck397
06-01-15, 14:30
I absolutely would. I will be giving AIWB a try for the second half of the year, and when I spec'd out my gear requirements a 3rd Gen Smith likely would have gotten the nod if they were still in production. I would almost certainly pick up an all steel, compact 9mm in either single or double stack 6906 or 3906) if it could be had for under $600. A big plus would be decocker only, since I'm pretty firmly against slide-mounted safeties.

Desert Dog
06-01-15, 14:34
There is definitely a market for a hammer-fired all-steel (or aluminum/steel) pistol like the 3rd gens; I'm just not sure exactly how large that market would be if you were charging buyers current retail(ish) pricing vs. what people are paying for plastic guns vs. the secondary market prices for original 3rd gen Smiths. You also have the open question of how much parts support you would get from the factory. At present, it does look like parts supplies are drying up. The unavailability of 10mm mags has witnessed recent eBay sales of said mags for ~$150 per!

If we are taking requests, I think a TSW 4566 with integral rail, melonite finish, no mag and decock only safeties would be a keeper. This is the current contract duty gun for the WVSP and that might open an opportunity to tag on a planned production run with a smaller commitment from you (just speculating here). A smaller 45 like the light 4513 would likely have its takers too. The 3913 or Lady Smith (same gun with angled dust cover) would be the classic for many. I actually prefer the balance of the aluminum framed 5903 to the needlessly (IMO) heavy all-steel 5906. The smaller 6906 would be a better carry gun size wise, much the way a G19 is the 'just right' proportion. Definitely think the melonite would be popular on any model here.

For me, the decock only safety (slide mounted) was the best variant in the 3rd gen line. Hate the riveted rails and billboard etching of the TSW series, but the boxed rails and better fitted slides and barrels were an improvement over the standard guns. A spherical Briley bushing (ala Performance Center variants) would be the cat's meow.

ST911
06-01-15, 15:05
A new 3913...yes, that would be interesting.

Nowski87
06-01-15, 15:19
I would love a updated version of the 3913. Melonite it with night sights and a decocker. I would also like to see the full size .45s and 10mm again.

brushy bill
06-01-15, 16:35
Grant, Yes on both (preferably without the TSW type logos and bolted on rails). Hope you are successful. Also, below is a great idea as well:

If we are taking requests, I think a TSW 4566 with integral rail, melonite finish, no mag and decock only safeties would be a keeper. This is the current contract duty gun for the WVSP and that might open an opportunity to tag on a planned production run with a smaller commitment from you (just speculating here).

Scotter260
06-01-15, 20:37
Yep, I've had two integrally-railed 5906s pass through my hands and have had two of these although I only have one left - Melonite integrally-railed 5946:

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z352/Scotter260/A5946-3.jpg

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z352/Scotter260/A5946-2.jpg

Everyone craps on DAO but they've likely not tried S&Ws first iteration of it which is just about perfect.

GNXII
06-01-15, 20:39
Yep, I've had two integrally-railed 5906s pass through my hands and have had two of these although I only have one left - Melonite integrally-railed 5946:

Everyone craps on DAO but they've likely not tried S&Ws first iteration of it which is just about perfect.

If they look like this, then yes I'd be for it!

Timbonez
06-01-15, 21:48
I would love to have a 5904 with or without a rail.

jpmuscle
06-01-15, 22:26
People have been saying that about 1911's for a long time. WC has some kind of crazy 4-6 month wait for their 1911's. We sell as many Colt M45's in the ($1800 dollar range) as we can get our hands on.

C4
I'm on month 4 of 24 for my railed Springfield Professional Sooooo, Yea. Classics will continue to reign IMO.

jpmuscle
06-01-15, 22:28
If they look like this, then yes I'd be for it!
x2. If it's that I want it. Now

Scotter260
06-01-15, 23:07
I should correct my post - the integrally-railed 5906s were TSWs - had the same machined rails as the 5946 pictured above and IIRC had lanyards and were decock-only but not positive on that last part - it's been a while. At the dealer where I'd found the two 5906TSWs, I also found a 5904TSW and a 3914TSW both with OD green billboards - these two were not integrally-railed, they had the bolt-on. He had a direct line to Lew Horton's and got some really great S&Ws towards the end of his run a few years ago.

I'm a huge DAO fan and when I found out about the 5946s I really wanted to find one but knew it was going to be tough. One came up on GB and nobody bid. The guy was from the S&W forums so I hit him up there and he accepted my offer. Then a couple/three years later I'm looking at the above described dealer's site and it has listed a "5946 w/ rail" so I called and asked him couple of questions. He knew who I was so he said "oh yeah, you'd like this one, it's black and not your normal 5946". I asked him the first three letters of the serial # - BDX - BOOM! I drove down there so fast you could hear the sonic boom.

We (myself and members at the S&W forums) believe we've figured out there are 5 of these in existence. S&W won't give exact numbers but would tell me that production based on the product number was in the single digits. Four were identified prior to me finding my second one at that dealer's. It was one number off on the product code and had a "U" stamped on the frame which S&W does to identify guns they've taken back in and resold.

Here's a picture of my pair (used one was sold at the forums shortly after this was taken):

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z352/Scotter260/A5946pair_zpsef65787c.jpg

Close-up of the used one:
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z352/Scotter260/A2nd5946-2_zpsf3f54056.jpg

The letter on the one I bought as new (mind you it says only 5 shipped - to me that doesn't mean there couldn't be more but with what S&W told me and having identified all the owners at the forums - 5 may be a real possibility):
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z352/Scotter260/Aletter.jpg

I found a pic of the 3914TSW:
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z352/Scotter260/A3914TSW1_zps5d8071c7.jpg

PD Sgt.
06-02-15, 00:35
I carried a 4506 for years as a duty pistol. It would chamber a rock if you could get it in the magazine. Having said that, I do not think I would go back to one as a duty weapon, but I would sure be interested is one of those 3914 TSWs as an off duty gun.

RAM Engineer
06-02-15, 06:36
Yes. A 4006 is the only .40 gun I'd be interested in. Ditch the magazine safety, add adjustable fiber optic sights, integral rail, and melonite finish, and it would be a heavy, awesome gun.

Eurodriver
06-02-15, 07:46
I only buy Glocks, save for a S&W J Frame when a Glock won't fit.

With that said, if I were going to buy an antique metal pistol it would be a S&W 5904.

Scotter260
06-02-15, 08:10
Anyone wanting to look up integrally-railed S&Ws should Google:

Integrally-railed 5906TSW
Integrally-railed CHP 4006TSW
Integrally-railed WVSP 4566TSW
Integrally-railed 5946

Check images and you can see what they look like. The WVSP and 5946 are Melonited pistols.

Here's a link to snw19_357's 3rd Gen alloy 59 series of pistols: http://smith-wessonforum.com/members/snw19_357-albums-blued-59-series-pistols-part-ii-3rd-gen-page2.html

The 5904TSW is pictured.

jsharp
06-02-15, 09:32
I'd love to see new 3913-3914's but it won't happen. I maybe could have sold 10 of them to females in the last year. But probably not for what they would cost.

C4IGrant
06-02-15, 09:35
I'd love to see new 3913-3914's but it won't happen. I maybe could have sold 10 of them to females in the last year. But probably not for what they would cost.

Never say never. ;-)

C4

T2C
06-02-15, 09:50
A new 3913...yes, that would be interesting.

I shot a 3913 and a 3914 until they were so worn I could not repair them and destroyed them.

I would like to see a new 3913 made 1/4" shorter in both grip and slide length. Thin the slide 0.050" too. I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Arik
06-02-15, 10:39
I'd be up for a 4566 or even a 4506 but not at a $1000. I can currently buy those at around $450 (4566) from the secondary used police gun market

Etho
06-02-15, 10:42

C4

Well like I said, I don't have facts to back it up. Just my personal speculation of teaching new shooters. Most have no idea they even exist and the ones who do have zero interest in them. Older shooters seem to think they are still forged on Mt. Olympus.

bear13
06-02-15, 11:06
I would buy them for sure. If not for the simple fact that they are great shooters.

A62Rambler
06-02-15, 11:54
I remember them having a really sweet double action pull and would like to have a DAO version. If they cost $500-600 I'd buy one. I will probably try to find a used one anyway.

Gary1911A1
06-02-15, 12:58
Never say never. ;-)

C4

I would buy one in a heart beat.

Dionysusigma
06-02-15, 13:05
I think the more logical route would be to improve the M&P series across the board than to reissue a comparatively dated design, unless it was guaranteed to come out at a competitive pricing point.

CoryCop25
06-02-15, 13:30
My first issued weapon was a 4006 with a bobbed 6906 hammer. I loved that gun and shot it very well. It was dammned heavy though. When we went to Glocks in 2001, the old timers were forgetting their guns in their lockers because they were so much lighter that they thought they had them in their holsters.
I used to carry a 6906 off duty and a 5906 in the private sector until we went to the Glock 23 across the board. I sold off all my Gen 3 Smiths and I regret it. If they became available, I'd consider a 5906 and a 3913.

attrapereves
06-02-15, 14:31
I would love to see them hit the market again. There aren't a lot of metal pistols produced compared to polymer pistols.

Poly guns are nice for carry, but a light frame alloy metal gun carries almost as well, but is more more pleasureful to shoot at the range.

Magsz
06-02-15, 14:43
Id love to see these pistols return, absolutely love it.

However, a melonited and slightly revised, ie contoured(melted?) frame would be a major boon. Some of the angles on the guns are a little sharp and could use some dehorning.

brickboy240
06-02-15, 14:55
Are people REALLY wanting 3rd gen S&W autos back?

The terrible long crunch-tickety triggers....the weight..the iffy accuracy?

I played around with a 5906 and an earlier 59 enough to know I want no part of those guns ever again.

With the current additions of the SIG P320 and HK VP-9...we finally have polymer striker guns moving in the right direction and you all want those old Smiths back?

Meh....no thank you.

DWood
06-02-15, 16:00
I got a good deal on a 3913 and really like it, but it's heavy and has low capacity compared to other, better options. I carried it for a while in a Milt Sparks holster and learned it is not a good EDC for me. It is one of the guns staged strategically in my house.

ImBroke
06-02-15, 17:13
I would be interested in both as well. I had a 3953 that would feed empty cases from the mag. I let it go when I was younger and didn't know any better. Like how the 3914 had a single-side safety and I've never had a full size gen3 smith.

MistWolf
06-02-15, 19:07
Are people REALLY wanting 3rd gen S&W autos back?

The terrible long crunch-tickety triggers....the weight..the iffy accuracy?

I think Third Gen Smiths are better than most pistols of the same type.

Third Gen Smiths responded well to a little trigger work. I had a pair of 4006s that I had the trigger worked on by a S&W gunsmith. While the factory trigger wasn't horrible, they were much better after the trigger work was completed. The double action was smooth and light and would still ignite the hardest primers. The single action was crisp and clean without being too light for a fighting pistol. He only charged me $45 per pistol. I had one fitted with a spurless hammer. Never being an expert pistol shot, both shot better than I could when in the hands of someone who knew what they were doing. If I had it to do over again, I'd have had both pistols converted to DAO.

I like the Third Gen Smith autoloaders but I do not like SA/DA triggers at all. If I were to pick up a Third Gen Smith, it would be a 3919 Ladysmith or a fixed sight 5909 with a DAO trigger and spurless hammer, both in stainless steel. Aluminum framed pistols are lighter but are not as durable as steel or polymer.

I don't know if I'd buy one or not. If I did, it would be an all steel Ladysmith

ccosby
06-02-15, 20:31
For me it would come down to price, mag availability, etc. The only metal sw semi I have is the 1006 and I have to say I kinda like it. I will say I'd want night sights as an option on any new one.

Drifting Fate
06-02-15, 22:31
Would love to see a line of Gen 3 Smiths come back, melonite would just be a bonus. Don't see Smith tooling up for it, though. Too bad, steel and alloy frames are becoming all too rare these days.

The Dumb Gun Collector
06-02-15, 23:49
Yes I would. Especially the 10mm.

jck397
06-03-15, 03:08
Yes I would. Especially the 10mm.

This. A melonited 1076 with a rail and night sights would be like printing money. Look at the premium the S&W 10s command on GB. Now make it unfired, black, and railed like Scotter260's 9mm? I'd buy that for a dollar. Or a lot of them. As would a lot of others who aren't satisfied with the Glock/SIG/1911 offerings, I suspect.

mark5pt56
06-03-15, 05:59
When I was assigned to our range, I without stretching it fired over 100,000 rounds through various gen 3 SW's. While I could run that thing very well, it had issues. ( You IPSC guys might recall "Hammer Time" qualifier- I cleaned it with a 5906 out of a SSIII holster)
Anyhow, the pistol serious sharp edges, need to dehorn it. One thing I did was run a 69 hammer on the 59 series, saves the hand web-
Use blue steel decocking barrels-the SS ones crack, we had new ones that were already cracked-ever see a full auto SW from a wedged firing pin?
I cracked 3 steel framed 5906's 2 6906's and one 6946 with those rounds.
Numerous other issues such as constantly cracked trigger bars, trigger play spring, ejectors always wearing quickly, sear release levers(pain to fit) right side decocking lever falling off, Sear springs breaking.

Alloy frames cracked between the slide stop lever and fully up-yes only the trigger guard keeping it together
Steel ones were always under the grip.

So, if you want a Sunday gun to go with your Leisure Suit--

Dave James
06-03-15, 07:51
I would take a 3914 or the DAO version as well as a 1086, that pair rode awhile with me through tuff times and never failed, seriously underrated firearms IMO

T2C
06-03-15, 09:27
When I was assigned to our range, I without stretching it fired over 100,000 rounds through various gen 3 SW's. While I could run that thing very well, it had issues. ( You IPSC guys might recall "Hammer Time" qualifier- I cleaned it with a 5906 out of a SSIII holster)
Anyhow, the pistol serious sharp edges, need to dehorn it. One thing I did was run a 69 hammer on the 59 series, saves the hand web-
Use blue steel decocking barrels-the SS ones crack, we had new ones that were already cracked-ever see a full auto SW from a wedged firing pin?
I cracked 3 steel framed 5906's 2 6906's and one 6946 with those rounds.
Numerous other issues such as constantly cracked trigger bars, trigger play spring, ejectors always wearing quickly, sear release levers(pain to fit) right side decocking lever falling off, Sear springs breaking.

Alloy frames cracked between the slide stop lever and fully up-yes only the trigger guard keeping it together
Steel ones were always under the grip.

So, if you want a Sunday gun to go with your Leisure Suit--

How many rounds did you fire through any one of the S&W's before they went toes up? If I could get 25,000 rounds through a 5904 before it was totally used up, I was happy.

Firefly
06-03-15, 09:42
NO!
I carried one over a decade or so ago first starting out. The single stack .45. It was heavy, had a DAO trigger a mile long, and it was no fun toting for 12 hours. When you took off your belt at the end of the day you felt like you were going to float away it was so heavy.

I had a nostalgia wave and shot one again last year and it was worse than I recalled. Never again. Never ever again.
I'll stick with a Kimber or Glock 21.

mbinky
06-03-15, 15:21
Hell yes! I have a factory Melonite 4006 and 4566. I would love to add a Melonite 5906 or a 3913 ( Melonite slide with annodized alunimum frame, so I guess it might be more of a 3914).

I love the third gen Smith's.

mark5pt56
06-03-15, 19:29
How many rounds did you fire through any one of the S&W's before they went toes up? If I could get 25,000 rounds through a 5904 before it was totally used up, I was happy.

If I remember correctly, the one 5906 went low twenties and the one 6946, 11002-I remember that one specifically as it was mine, I logged 11k in it and it broke on round two with a "new" issue-go figure. I turned that in because we were moving back to the DA/SA where we started, went back to a 6906 until I broke it and finished with a new 5906 which I switched out the ss decocking barrel and hammer to a blued steel and 69 series before I even fired it.

coobie
06-03-15, 20:13
I would,I currently own 3913 3914 tactical,5906.

T2C
06-03-15, 20:34
If I remember correctly, the one 5906 went low twenties and the one 6946, 11002-I remember that one specifically as it was mine, I logged 11k in it and it broke on round two with a "new" issue-go figure. I turned that in because we were moving back to the DA/SA where we started, went back to a 6906 until I broke it and finished with a new 5906 which I switched out the ss decocking barrel and hammer to a blued steel and 69 series before I even fired it.

I have had similar experiences. At the low end, I had a 5904 that required replacement at 11,000 rounds. It required a few repairs early on, then the frame was unserviceable at 11,000. My 3914 shot craps at 13,000 and the 3913 at about 16.000. The +P+ ammunition really took it's toll.

GregP220
06-03-15, 20:47
I still have a 3913 in my collection and I like everything about it but I HATE slide mounted controls.

IF they can't ditch those I wouldn't be interested in another.

brickboy240
06-04-15, 11:52
Lets bring back the Single Action Army or maybe carry a flintlock!

LOL

Smith made some awesome revolvers but their semi-autos have always fell somewhat short.

Striker
06-04-15, 17:17

C4

Sure, but a 1911 is a 1911. Accuracy, trigger, shootability etc etc. And it's America's pistol, really is. I don't really see where the third gen S&Ws qualify as classics. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see it.

RWH24
06-04-15, 21:19
When I carried a 5906, my off duty carry was a 3913 LS. Liked the lines and single side safety decocker. The 5906 was a chunk of stainless steel. All the weight was in your hand and only 14 rounds. I sold the 3913 to a friends brother and he would shoot me before he let it go. Since I have a Shield and a Sig 239 9mm, I probably would not buy any retro smith 4 number designator.

GHMann
06-04-15, 21:39
I would love to see them bring back the 3rd Gen pistols. I just wonder what the price would be if they held the same quality. I paid about $525 for my 1006 in 1992. Wonder what it would cost today.

mike240
06-04-15, 23:19
May I never see another. Our agency had them as did a neighboring one. Between the two we had about 1000 in service. The problems were constant. I'm no lover of Glock but at the time I was glad to see and get them.

gunnut284
06-05-15, 12:45
I don't have any desire to have them come back. I have a 4553TSW and regret passing on a 5906TSW for $350 a few months back but the chief appeal was the price which wouldn't carry over on new production. A new 5906 for $700-900, no thanks even with an integral rail.

Surf
06-05-15, 15:28
No desire here also. Carried one for a lot of years and still have a 6904 somewhere deep in the safe. I do note that this gen does have a small cult like following and does hold sentimental value for many who carried one for a long time.

mark5pt56
06-05-15, 16:45
Heck, I'll even date myself-I had the old Surefire screw on weapon light on one for a bit. That was when the batteries cost $7-8 apiece!

MoCop
06-06-15, 08:24
I trained with a 4006 when I went through the academy back in 2001. Really liked that gun. If Smith brought back the 3rd gen's, I'd be interested.

Firefly
06-06-15, 08:55
Yeah. It really is sentimentality only.
EVERYONE carried an automatic handgun as a "backup" because no one (myself included) trusted the Smith 45. Seriously, everyone hated the 4586. The secret was keeping it well oiled. Everyone with any sense kept some rod and gun lube.

Lots of ill will towards that gun. Years go by and you reminisce about the "romance" of carrying a fat, stainless single stack .45.
There was nothing romantic to it. It was horrible. I bought a Glock 21 with my first paycheck and kept it in a shoulder holster.

The 10mms are highly collectible but I would never, ever carry that .45. I could shoot well with it but it was so unpleasant.

T2C
06-06-15, 10:22
I did not care for the S&W Chief's Special versions of the third generation pistols, but a slightly smaller 3914 would be nice. I suppose a melonite finish would be more durable than the original S&W finish.

I view a handgun as a tool and would not want another 3914 to collect. I would shoot it and carry it when a larger pistol would not be more suitable. Once it's worn out, I would toss it.

Apec
06-08-15, 22:51
It would be great if they upgraded the design or added more options . More decock only models, maybe a single action only variant. Right now though trade ins can be found cheap, so it's a hard sell for S&W to get back in that game.

ramairthree
06-10-15, 21:33
I have a couple of 10mms I love. I love the ss, the heft, and all but trigger and accuracy were mediocre.

Penn25
06-11-15, 20:15
I'm an old fart and became familiar with that beautiful piece in the military. Have been in love with it ever since . Have owned and built some in my looong years lol. I would rather have one with 7+1 against any hi cap 9mm. When you get punched in the chest with a .45acp round you don't keep advancing. Old farts and old guns rule.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

SERT103
06-13-15, 21:22
I would definitely be in for a melonited version. I love this gun.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm192/mamartin043/BE843F3E-C749-474B-8607-39B67BBEF131_zpsc4qhokog.jpg (http://s296.photobucket.com/user/mamartin043/media/BE843F3E-C749-474B-8607-39B67BBEF131_zpsc4qhokog.jpg.html)

opmike
06-14-15, 06:16
I'm, again, moving towards avoiding buying guns/gear I don't have any practical use for. Considering these guns do absolutely nothing better than the stuff currently on the market, I have no desire to get one.

sjc3081
06-14-15, 08:05
NYPD issue 5946,3913,1066 I love these pistols but not as practical as my G19.

06-14-15, 09:10
Smith made a blued/anodized 59 series pistol with an aluminum frame and pre-cocked DAO action. Full size. Does anybody know the exact designation? I always liked those but never got one. I really don't know much about them except it felt good in the hand when I handled it.

pat701
06-14-15, 10:13
I would like to see a Sig Sp2022 in 45 ACP, for around $450.

MountainRaven
06-14-15, 15:27
I'm looking at getting an all-metal 9mm, so I'd be interested. But I'm not sure I'd buy - I would want to compare it side-by-side with a SiG Mk25 and Beretta 92G-SD/WC 92G.

yellowfin
06-14-15, 17:55
Put me down for a 4506 and 1006--when I'm ahead on money again, that is. Geez, so many guns to want!

U4JF
06-18-15, 03:44
My first carry gun was a well used 4006. I wish I still had it. I want one of these.
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g345/jfernett/DSCN7605-1024x768_zpsopvyy7la.jpg (http://s1097.photobucket.com/user/jfernett/media/DSCN7605-1024x768_zpsopvyy7la.jpg.html)

CAVDOC
06-18-15, 09:17
I suspect in today's market they could not make them at a price point capable of competing in the sub $500 polymer auto market. At least unt very recently ( maybe still) they did make some for le contracts ( the nypd dao 59 series comes to mind)

T2C
06-18-15, 11:16
I suspect in today's market they could not make them at a price point capable of competing in the sub $500 polymer auto market.

I believe you hit the nail on the head with this comment.

MountainRaven
07-19-15, 15:23
I've been watching too much Miami Vice lately, so my interest in a 4506 has been piqued. A nearby gun store shows a used (of course) later model as being in stock.

I also think I should point out that I'd be as interested or perhaps even more interested in a 1006. SiG doesn't seem to have any trouble selling their new 10mm all-steel P220s for north of a thousand bucks, I doubt S&W would have any trouble, either.

I think I would want the pistol to be decock-only, to match my Beretta. Offer it in both naked stainless steel under the Classics or Pro line and in melanite with night sights and a rail with the old Night Guard name.

If they did that, I would probably be game for a 1006 Classic/Pro and a 4506 Night Guard or vice versa. Unless Vltor brings out their Bren Ten before then.

Icedaddy56
07-19-15, 15:58
I would love a updated version of the 3913. Melonite it with night sights and a decocker. I would also like to see the full size .45s and 10mm again.

4506 or the 1006, especially the 1006

Straight Shooter
07-19-15, 16:18
I had one of the first 4506 pistols made. The gunshop I went to to order it said "never heard of it"! My guy FINALLY located one I believe in Birmingham AL, and he had it sent up to me in TN. I shot the HELL outta that pistol, but I do recall it once jammed up so badly, I finally had to take a large screwdriver and literally bend the casing and pry out the round a hard as I could. Was a live round too, I was a tad nervous. Cant recall details. As for them returning...myself, no need. My Glocks do more than the S&W's ever did, especially my G41. Was a big gun too, for a single stack .45.

artoter
07-19-15, 16:41
I would love to see them back on the shelves, but it won't happen. Too expensive to build compared to the polymer guns. :cray:

Gary1911A1
07-20-15, 12:56
I would love to see them back on the shelves, but it won't happen. Too expensive to build compared to the polymer guns. :cray:

I fear you are correct and S&W is busy pushing their M&Ps' to the few police department still issuing the 3rd generation. Still Sig has no trouble selling their metal frame DA/SA pistols.

mbinky
07-20-15, 13:02
A couple of factory Melonite Smiths. A 4006 and a 4506. Bring them back!

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/3921/iLQEuJ.jpg

MountainRaven
07-20-15, 13:57
I fear you are correct and S&W is busy pushing their M&Ps' to the few police department still issuing the 3rd generation. Still Sig has no trouble selling their metal frame DA/SA pistols.

SiG and Beretta and CZ.

Admittedly, the CZ is more about the price of a Glock. And Berettas aren't super expensive.

But has Wilson been having trouble selling 92G BrigTacs? Has anyone who is stocking them?

MountainRaven
07-26-15, 23:04
Picked up a lightly used 4506-1 from an LGS.

Adjustable tritium sights - I'm not big on adjustable sights, but I feel like S&W did these right, with the big steel box wrapped around them to protect them. The tritium is dead on the rear sight and very dim on the front.

It strikes me as being a slightly bigger double-action 1911. With the benefit of seventy-some years of technological advances. Apart from the weight, I can't imagine a reason to pick an M&P45 over the 4506-1. Assuming that it is reliable.

If S&W keeps quality up for them, I think I would pretty definitely be down for a 1006. Provided, of course, that it is available before Vltor gets their Bren Ten out the door.

ETA: On Smith's website, they list bluing as an option for refinishing their autos. Does anybody know if this includes the stainless steel guns, like my 4506-1 - perhaps meloniting them? Is their performance center package a worthwhile expense? I suppose if I do send it in, I ought to see if I can get them to replace the front sight with one that has a newer tritium vial in it and swap the dead tritium rear for a plain rear.

SpecWired
07-26-15, 23:27
I personally don't see the appeal. As a mass market item I suspect it would flop. The market and consumer demands have changed a lot since the 80's and early 90's.

KalashniKEV
07-27-15, 09:25
I personally don't see the appeal. As a mass market item I suspect it would flop. The market and consumer demands have changed a lot since the 80's and early 90's.

I would only buy one if they came out with a "Reservoir Dogs" edition.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/3/3d/RDSW659SW639.jpg/600px-RDSW659SW639.jpg

http://m5.paperblog.com/i/100/1002670/reservoir-dogs-mr-white-L-8CKkZs.jpeg

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/f/ff/RDSW659.jpg/602px-RDSW659.jpg

Otherwise... why?

The_War_Wagon
07-27-15, 11:16
I carried a 1006 as my CCW for 12 years - the only pistol I ever regret selling, so, yes - I'd like to see the Gen.III make a comeback.

Larry Vickers
07-27-15, 12:08
I have a Performance Center 5906 which is one of the best shooting handguns I have ever shot or owned. Great pistols - sadly the mass produced 3rd Gens arent even close to that so my answer is no- let them stay as a piece of the past

The 1911 is a law unto itself and is not affected by many of the normal firearms industry rules and norms that we know of today - the number of companies surviving making 1911's that cost over $2000 is mind boggling. It's doom has been predicted for decades and has never occurred- my advice is to not add your name to that list and look like a clueless ass

MountainRaven
07-27-15, 19:26
I don't think anybody - at least not in this thread - has said that the end of the day of the 1911 is nigh.

SpecWired
07-27-15, 22:07
I would only buy one if they came out with a "Reservoir Dogs" edition.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/3/3d/RDSW659SW639.jpg/600px-RDSW659SW639.jpg

http://m5.paperblog.com/i/100/1002670/reservoir-dogs-mr-white-L-8CKkZs.jpeg

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/f/ff/RDSW659.jpg/602px-RDSW659.jpg

Otherwise... why?

In that case, I'll take a Mr. Pink Edition. I can see there being a nostalgia market for limited runs, but then it would probably be very costly and not worth it to S&W or the general public.

Overall though, the era for that product line is gone and not returning.

T2C
07-29-15, 10:51
I retract my previous statement and would not want another third generation Smith & Wesson semi-automatic pistol. I bought a Glock 43 and it fits my summer carry needs better than my 3913 or 3914 ever did.

BBossman
08-07-15, 09:18
My first "wondernine" was a a S&W 59 and later I added one of the first 69's. Loved both of them.

Just for fun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXwLi3qKD0w

Exiledviking
08-07-15, 14:10
My first carry gun was a well used 4006. I wish I still had it.

I would love to get my hands on the integral rail 4006TSW California Highway Patrol version myself.

I agree with LAV, the Performance Center 3rd gen guns are exemplary. I've had both a PC 5906 and the PC 952 and both were superb and crazy accurate. If anyone is looking, I am selling my Performance Center 952-1 in 9mm.

MountainRaven
08-09-15, 00:28
Anybody know if the Novak-cut S&W slides work with other Novak-style sights, like the 10-8, Heinies, &c.?

titsonritz
08-09-15, 01:49
I could go for a 3913LS and a 1046 or 1086

Helix12
08-09-15, 08:32
I had three of them back in the day. They were well made, had adjustable sights (a plus) and were accurate. Eventually though, my Berettas and 1911s won out so the Smiths were gradually sold or traded off.

Would there be much of a market for them today? I'm doubting it. Smith & Wesson is a publicly traded company in the business to make money. Since they no longer produce those guns it seems reasonable to assume they couldn't produce them at a price point which was attractively profitable enough to keep them in production. Yes, there may be a niche for newly manufactured ones today but, would that niche be profitably enough to divert the always scarce resources away from other projects? Again, I'm doubting it. I think they had their day and that day is past, sort of like my lovely Smith Model 19s.

SocomShooter
08-09-15, 09:39
I own (5) second/third gens. I think all Jerry's talking points are very spot on: well made, easy to shoot, easy to keep on target... Definitely not easy to carry--the 5906 is a freaking brick. None the less, I do love these guns for some reason; mainly the 3rd gens due to the upgraded sights.

If S&W brought these back, with features that set the new model apart from the previous ones (for the better) I'd definitely consider it. But I'd be most interested in a model the size of a 469 or 6906.

MadAngler1
08-09-15, 18:23
Particulary models 3914 or 5904? I think they would need to be melonited though. What say you?

C4

I remember when I was 11-12 years old, and my grandfather routinely took me to a range run by mostly off-duty policemen near St. Louis. The cops I met had to use 3rd gen S&W pistols and had nothing but problems with them. They all wanted Glocks or Sigs (which they eventually got by the mid-90s).

I will pass on the S&W 3rd gen pistols, although I'm sure that when constructed and maintained appropriately they should work fine. My past experience with them (and I did shoot them quite a bit growing up (probably 500-600+ rounds before I exclusively shot other pistols and wound up shooting mostly trap and skeet until I was 21)) tells me otherwise.

Beat Trash
08-09-15, 19:25
My agency issued 5906's when I was hired on. We later transitioned to the 5946 and kept that for about 8 years. We left when the cost of maintaining the guns was too high.

The 9mm extractors were too small and tend to break. I went through three of them on my issued 5906. You could spot the guns with replacement extractors during roll call weapon inspections as the replacement part was black, and not chrome like the part installed at the factory.

Our last year with the 5946's consisted of a huge dollar amount of parts to keep 1,200 guns up and running. IF I mentioned the $ amount quoted to me at the time, many would call me a lier. The problem was able to be determined, to a point. After several thousand rounds, many of the guns had issues that pertained to the tiny notch on the bottom of the barrel that is supposed to hold the recoil guide rod in place. It got battered and worn just a bit. The range staff working on the line would keep spare barrels, guide rods and recoil springs in their cargo pockets. Kept the training pace up by not having to go back to the range house to fix guns.

The guns were soft shooting due to the weight. The guns were like carrying a brick on your side, due to the weight.

I have handled and shot a few of the Performance Center 5906's. They were works of art. But I can not in good faith compare them to the run of the mill standard 5906.

The only 3rd gen S&W I still own is a 3913. This particular gun was my first off-duty gun. It sits in the safe in retirement, as spare parts are extremely hard to come by today. But it was my favorite of the 3rd gen pistols.

If S&W could bring back the 3rd gen line with the quality of the Performance Center guns, I might be interested. But I would be afraid the cost they would have to charge would be enough to dampen my interest.

MountainRaven
08-09-15, 22:46
If S&W brought back the old 3rd Gens, I'd expect (but not know) them to be priced similarly to their DA revolvers: ~$800-900 for a standard production gun and ~$1200 for a PC model. At that price, that puts them in the same ballpark as the Beretta 92G-SD and 92G BrigTac, and I'd definitely buy them at that price and I bet I wouldn't be the only one.

Dennis
08-09-15, 23:01
I carried a 4566 on duty for years as well as a 4513 and a 3913 off duty. They sit in the safe loaded with good memories and ready for 3rd line service.... My inclination is to say there is no market for them, but then I see big, blocky, heavy, SA/DA Sphinx's for sale...

Fuzzy-Reticle
09-07-15, 21:29
I have three of the Gen 3 Smiths. A 4006 and 5906 and 3906. I actually got the 3906 by mistake. I wanted the 5906 and ordered the wrong one. This was way before the internet so when I called the distributor I told them the wrong model number. When I got it I just kept it. Glad I did. I really like these pistols. They were THE pistol back in the day. Couldn't ever find a Bren 10 and they scratched that itch back then. Only the 3906 has been fired. In fact I just shot the 3906 for the first time in 25 years a few days ago. Very accurate and fun pistol to shoot. Maybe I should sell it to fund something a bit more modern.

usmcvet
09-08-15, 09:15
I liked the 3913's but would not buy one now. I love my SHield

CanineCombatives
09-08-15, 12:17
In a word, no.

crusader377
09-08-15, 15:28
Although the 3rd generation S&W autos are decent guns, they didn't really set the world on fire when they were being produced 30 years ago. Metal framed competitors like the Beretta 92 and Sig P22x series guns were far more successful back then. Furthermore, the polymer framed pistols really dominate the current handgun market and I think it makes no sense for S&W to re-release the Gen 3 autos especially since they were only marginally successful from a sales perspective even when they were brand new.

BUBBAGUNS
09-08-15, 15:41
I would like to see the 4506 and 1006 come back.

blackbag
09-08-15, 19:00
In a word, no.

This!!!!

Auto426
09-08-15, 21:57
I picked up a police trade in 5906 from Buds about a year ago. It's become one of my favorite 9mm's to bring to the range since. While I would love to be able to pick up a new 4506, 1006, and 3906 to compliment it, I know that will never happen. The world has moved on from heavy, steel framed DA/SA autos, and I doubt S&W could charge a low enough price to keep anyone interested.

JCast265
10-04-15, 13:30
I have a 5906 and love it! Thing is built like a tank and is great to teach new people on since it has no real recoil. I would love a 3913 someday.

Gary1911A1
10-05-15, 10:06
I do think a 3913/3914 would sell. The prices on used ones are starting to rise.

BillBond
10-05-15, 13:20
I do not miss my 6906 or 5906 at all.
While the guns were reliable the triggers were horrible.

GastonG-NoVa
11-19-15, 09:09
DA/SA is Old/transition tech. Bring back the flintlock too.

brushy bill
07-01-16, 17:01
Grant, is this dead on the vine or still a possibility?

MountainRaven
07-01-16, 21:43
Grant, is this dead on the vine or still a possibility?

My LGS just got (in the last couple of weeks) a new 3953TSW (DAO single-stack 9mm).

Mr. Greene
07-01-16, 21:48
I would love a 39 series pistol. Always liked them. I have grown tired of the " new " guns released at SHOT show because if it's not a 1911 or something plastic with a rail nobody wants to make it. Where has the diversity gone. A nice single stack 9mm that's not a small pocket gun would be awesome. I have enough glocks and m&p's.

usmcvet
07-01-16, 21:52

I agree. I have. I nostalgia for those old guns.

I would love a 39 series pistol. Always liked them. I have grown tired of the " new " guns released at SHOT show because if it's not a 1911 or something plastic with a rail nobody wants to make it. Where has the diversity gone. A nice single stack 9mm that's not a small pocket gun would be awesome. I have enough glocks and m&p's.

I'd say they're gone because nobody wanted to buy them.

MountainRaven
07-01-16, 22:21
I'd say they're gone because nobody wanted to buy them.

SiG brought back the P225.

Springfield Armory makes a 4" barreled XDs and just introduced a 4" barrel EMP.

How many people wish that H&K would bring back the P7M8 (and the P7M13)? My love of the P7 isn't primarily due to the squeeze-cocking mechanism or the gas-delayed blowback operation. It's because of the trigger and the size.

So I'd say you're wrong. The market is there, the manufacturers just need to fill the demand. (Or maybe nobody really wanted little single-stack 380s and 9mms, but that didn't stop manufacturers from introducing them and the guns to take off like wildfire.)

Mr. Greene
07-02-16, 01:15
Agree I have a P225A1 on order and would love for HK to bring back the P7M8. Was never able to get one back in the day, when I had the money they weren't available, when they were available didn't have the money.

usmcvet
07-02-16, 07:19
I had a 225 with a short trigger for the ex wife it was a nice gun.

ramairthree
07-02-16, 10:35

Well,
With SA guns and
DA/SA guns winning in the highest levels of competition toe to toe with sproing fired guns,
Metal frames and hammers may not be down for the count just yet.