PDA

View Full Version : Got some goodies to dressout my M4!!!

Boomer8404
07-17-08, 10:22
Ive got just 2 more payments on my Bushmaster M-4 until I can get it out of layaway, so I decided to have some goodies waiting on it. I got a Leapers Red/Green Illuminated Mil-Dot 6x32 scope from the local gun show last weekend. I placed an order with MidwayUSA.com for some Command Arms parts, I got a G-27 Pistol Grip, Vertical Light Fore Grip (both in Olive Drab, Ill use a OD Green SureFire G2 Nitrolon Light in it) and the M-44S Molded Picatinny Hand Guards(cause I dont need the fancy machined aluminum pieces). I also clicked on over to TacticalLink.com and ordered one of their M4 universal fit single point slings in OD Green too. I will probably get later on a can of OD Green and Flat Black paint from Brownells.com. I would like to paint the front A-Frame sight black and the barrel forward of the A-Frame, the rear stock and the scope mount OD Green for some nice added accent.

Jay Cunningham
07-17-08, 10:31
IMO you should return every single one of those items in the unopened box for a refund. The only reason that I say this is that you will get rid of them eventually anyway.

Take the money from your refund and purchase an LMT or BCM bolt carrier group. This will be a much more effective upgrade for your carbine.

Welcome to M4C!

bullitt5172
07-17-08, 11:24
IMO you should return every single one of those items in the unopened box for a refund. The only reason that I say this is that you will eventually anyway.

Take the money from your refund and purchase an LMT or BCM bolt carrier group. This will be a much more effective upgrade for your carbine.

Welcome to M4C!

Without sounding like an gear snob, I would completely agree. Learn to shoot the irons while saving for a quality optic. This sounds like your first AR project, if so the stock Bushmaster will work fine for you for a long time.

C4IGrant
07-17-08, 11:28
Ive got just 2 more payments on my Bushmaster M-4 until I can get it out of layaway, so I decided to have some goodies waiting on it. I got a Leapers Red/Green Illuminated Mil-Dot 6x32 scope from the local gun show last weekend. I placed an order with MidwayUSA.com for some Command Arms parts, I got a G-27 Pistol Grip, Vertical Light Fore Grip (both in Olive Drab, Ill use a OD Green SureFire G2 Nitrolon Light in it) and the M-44S Molded Picatinny Hand Guards(cause I dont need the fancy machined aluminum pieces). I also clicked on over to TacticalLink.com and ordered one of their M4 universal fit single point slings in OD Green too. I will probably get later on a can of OD Green and Flat Black paint from Brownells.com. I would like to paint the front A-Frame sight black and the barrel forward of the A-Frame, the rear stock and the scope mount OD Green for some nice added accent.

This makes baby Jesus cry (especially the part about having to save up for the BM).

C4

theJanitor
07-17-08, 11:39
get a refund for those parts and apply that money to get the actual gun in your hands! then practice. even without a BCG upgrade (which i think is a great idea) it still is a usable piece in stock form.

personally, i hate having to put money down and not having a gun. here in Hawaii, you buy a pistol and it sits at the gun store for 14 days while your paperwork is processed. it drives me nuts.

rifleshooter
07-17-08, 12:08
He choise to buy this stuff and he must have some idea what he wanted.
So why not just keep it and give it a go?

Taking one item as and example just why should he return the single point
sling?:rolleyes:

http://www.tacticallink.com/Products.aspx?Cat=7

theJanitor
07-17-08, 12:10
my opinion was that accessories without a gun is useless. do whatever he can to get the gun into his possession FIRST, then buy whatever accessories later

C4IGrant
07-17-08, 12:24

Most people buy gear and weapons on opinions gleamed off of the errornet or because they like the way something looks (bad idea).

The sling (as far as single point slings go) is actually a decent choice. 2 points slings are superior to singles though. ;)

C4

LOKNLOD
07-17-08, 12:50
Boomer:
What these kind folks are trying to say is that your otherwise servicable rifle will look like you went to the gunshow and drug it down the tacky aisle with the crap magnet turned on. Despite being cheap, those parts aren't a good value, because they're cheap for a reason. They may help your Bushmaster look "dressed out" and may survive the occassional range trip, but it is highly (let me stress that: HIGHLY) unlikely that they would hold up to using the rifle for "serious" purposes, like training, or actually defending yourself and family.

Don't take it personal. To say most of the folks here take their guns seriously is an understatement; bringing that rifle here is the equivalent of showing up at a hardcore rock crawling trailride in your chromed out but otherwise stock Jeep Liberty, or to a muscle-car meet in your brand new stickered-up and winged Honda Fit.

Now, be honest with yourself -- if all you want is for the Bushmaster to look neat sitting in your closet and shoot 2-3 boxes of ammo a year at paper targets from a bench, well then you're on the right track. And that's okay, you'll just find that these guys don't understand that concept very well.

If you want to be serious about having the rifle for defense, and plan to put lots of rounds through it with training, drills, or even competitions, you'll find those were poor choices for accessories, and you'll end up disappointed (at best) when they fail. Hence the comments to ditch the parts while you still can.

If that's the path you want to go, there are nearly endless resources here to help you do so -- read a lot (like the stickied threads in all the AR forums). Then come up with some specific questions if you still don't understand something. No one is going to get mad at you for asking a question, as long as it's not a dumb one that's spelled out clearly in half the stickied threads ;)

Hope this helps.

uspopo
07-17-08, 13:02
Congrats on your new 'Black Rifle'. I would keep the SureFire G2 and return everything else for quality ammo and mags. Check the BCG to make sure it is properly staked and order a BCM BCG upgrade kit and you are good to go..

Stan

Jay Cunningham
07-17-08, 14:22

What is the point if we cannot help this guy right off the bat?

Failure2Stop
07-17-08, 14:31

Because he came here, to ask us our opinion. It was given. This advice was hard-gained at much financial and physical cost to those giving it.

1 Point Slings seem really great until you actually have to use one with a gun that has a barrel over 12" and you try transitional SOM, kneeling during a transition, controlling an occupant, etc. If the only thing you need it for is keeping it off the ground while you put your eye-pro on, you might as well just keep the standard sling and save some cash. If you actually want to get along with your sling during real training, get a quality two point.

-Just 'cause ya asked...

C4IGrant
07-17-08, 14:35
What is the point if we cannot help this guy right off the bat?

Right you are. Why not let the guy benefit from our many of years of experience with guns and gear? I sure as hell wished someone would have told me not to buy a BM M17 or a RRA Varmint AR. :rolleyes:

C4

rifleshooter
07-17-08, 15:53
Because he came here, to ask us our opinion. It was given. This advice was hard-gained at much financial and physical cost to those giving it.

1 Point Slings seem really great until you actually have to use one with a gun that has a barrel over 12" and you try transitional SOM, kneeling during a transition, controlling an occupant, etc. If the only thing you need it for is keeping it off the ground while you put your eye-pro on, you might as well just keep the standard sling and save some cash. If you actually want to get along with your sling during real training, get a quality two point.

-Just 'cause ya asked...

I have read and re-read his post and from what I read he is just telling the forum what he bought or placed on order. I don't see anything about him asking for any opinion or advice.

rob_s
07-17-08, 15:56
There is no way in hell the OP is serious. Troll account or just someone having fun for sure.

PushPull
07-17-08, 16:05
There is no way in hell the OP is serious. Troll account or just someone having fun for sure.

Agreed. You beat me to it.

rifleshooter
07-17-08, 16:10

-Just 'cause ya asked...

I have both a single point sling a Tacticallink and a two point sling a LaRue Tactical Padded Sling.
I know what I need and I have two rifles also two slings so when I need a single point sling I use it and when I want a two point sling I use it.;)

Oh thank's for all the advice. I don't recall asking for it but if it makes someone happy to dish it out.....;)

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=86

rifleshooter
07-17-08, 16:13
Most people buy gear and weapons on opinions gleamed off of the errornet or because they like the way something looks (bad idea).

The sling (as far as single point slings go) is actually a decent choice. 2 points slings are superior to singles though. ;)

C4

Just how are two point slings superior? I have both and I like them both they both have their own uses.;)

C4IGrant
07-17-08, 16:29
Just how are two point slings superior? I have both and I like them both they both have their own uses.;)

In which way are they not superior to single and three point slings?

C4

Jay Cunningham
07-17-08, 16:41

The only thing that a single point does better than an adjusting two point is allow you to switch shoulders. This type of sling can be useful to assaulters who move to their objective mounted and then engage the enemy. Single points are best used on shorter carbines (less risk of a muzzle in the dirt).

Single point slings are generally a liability otherwise, with the gun dangling around and banging off of things.

ToddG
07-17-08, 16:58

Succinct but detailed comparison by Larry Vickers: Tactical Tips: Carbine Slings (http://www.vickerstactical.com/Tips/carbineSlings.htm)

Rock-N-Ruin
07-17-08, 17:25
I'd also return everything and either spend the funds on Quality mags and ammo, or add a couple hundred bucks and get an aimpoint if you really want optics, but like others said "Learn your Irons first", I bought (I hate to admit it) a CAA double mag holder once and was lucky enough to return it, CAA seems to be the lowest end AR accessory out there, but that's just my opinion and it's free 24/7 365!!! Ps. I also have a single point sling and it just sits in the box full of holsters, as I prefer a 2 point.. J

Sry0fcr
07-17-08, 17:40
I would like to paint the front A-Frame sight black and the barrel forward of the A-Frame, the rear stock and the scope mount OD Green for some nice added accent.

Martha Stewart goes tactical? :D

FWIW, I doubt he's all that serious about using the thing as a defensive tool so the Bushy and crap accessories will probably do the job for the 100 rounds per month he's likely to put downrange.

OP, correct me if I'm wrong and if I am take these guys' advice.

rob_s
07-17-08, 17:50

So, one on the LMT and one on the S&W? Which you've had for a month?

I'd be curious to know how you formulated such an opinion in just a month.

rifleshooter
07-17-08, 18:02
So, one on the LMT and one on the S&W? Which you've had for a month?

I'd be curious to know how you formulated such an opinion in just a month.

I just read all the firearm forums 24/7 for a Month this makes me really smart.:)

rob_s
07-17-08, 18:09
I just read all the firearm forums 24/7 for a Month this makes me really smart.:)

So what has all this reading told you is the relative benefits of one sling over another? In what ways does a single-point excel? What advantages does a two-point have over the single?

rifleshooter
07-17-08, 18:17
So what has all this reading told you is the relative benefits of one sling over another? In what ways does a single-point excel? What advantages does a two-point have over the single?

I don't remember ever posting that I thought a single-point sling did excel in any way over a two point sling.

Since I have both a two point sling and a one point sling I can use them both as I see my needs in slings change.

bullitt5172
07-17-08, 20:01
In which way are they not superior to single and three point slings?

C4

Grant, don't fall into the trap. Rifleshooter is a troll and every post he makes (and his PM's he sends to some of us) is full of lies and the sole intention is to upset the group. I would ignore every post he makes.

rob_s
07-17-08, 20:40
I don't remember ever posting that I thought a single-point sling did excel in any way over a two point sling.

Since I have both a two point sling and a one point sling I can use them both as I see my needs in slings change.

Pardon me, I didn't realize we were going to get into a semantics discussion.

So what use does one have vs. the other? Which would you suggest to the departments that you do testing for? Do they have any requirements for metal buckles?

bullitt5172
07-17-08, 21:12
Pardon me, I didn't realize we were going to get into a semantics discussion.

So what use does one have vs. the other? Which would you suggest to the departments that you do testing for? Do they have any requirements for metal buckles?

That last line is funny!!

:p

Steve
07-17-08, 21:15
Classic.......He cant say though its Top secret stuff

RogerinTPA
07-17-08, 21:56
This makes baby Jesus cry (especially the part about having to save up for the BM).

C4

:p

OMG! Way too funny! But seriously, maybe he can't afford to get a better weapon. If he would have read any of the info here, he would have made a better choice, or at least bought one of your upgraded Bushies. In the end, it's his coin and hopefully in time, he will see the light....

WS6
07-18-08, 00:33
I tend to agree with some of the above posters. I got my 20" AR and it was BASE except for: PRI gas buster and FSC556 comp.

I got the comp because it is no louder than an A2 hider, hides flash better, and it does tame the recoil a bit.

I got the PRI because rapid-fire with M855 after freshly lubing the bolt would blow the crud and smoke into my face. I didn't like choking on vaporized petroleum products.

I then got an Ergo grip. I liked it, but now I have a MIAD to hold batteries.

That MIAD holds batteries for the M-3X I bought which goes on the CAA bayonet lug mount (They were the only ones who made what I wanted and really...as long as it is machined to spec, it SHOULD be fine!). I bought it (the MIAD and M3X) after I went shooting at night and used my Hi-beams to illuminate the target area and my car battery ran down to where my WS6 wouldn't even turn over (this is an engine that was designed with drag on the rotating assy. engineered in to get it to idle right! I ran the battery DOWN!).

I also have a 3-point sling. Do I ever use it? Sometimes, to steady myself when shooting, but mainly I got it because those hardpoints seemed to demand a sling and every rifle should have one. Just because. You MIGHT use it!

I got a USGI cleaning kit so that I would always have something with me, I also managed to fit a spare Sabre bolt and firing pin in the buttstock with that cleaning kit.

Things I have sold/am selling from my AR:

Enidine buffer
Ergo Grip

That's it. Not bad really. I did my research, tried stuff out, and wasn't afraid to pay top dollar when I needed to to get EXACTLY what I want.

WS6
07-18-08, 00:36

C4

Well, not all of us are rich, I know I am not, for sure! Still though, if you are going to "save up", wait another week or two and go Sabre, Colt, LMT/whatever else is better than a Bushy.

OR!

Call C4 and say "I need XXX, how much will it cost you to build XXX?"

WS6
07-18-08, 00:48

It's possible he is legit, maybe just not the most gear savvy. I know I have bought some crap in the past for sure.

Iraqgunz
07-18-08, 03:20
I tend to agree. I am using a single-point on my carbine now, but one must exercise weapons control/ retention with it at all times. Each of them have particular place(s) and time(s) where they shine

The only thing that a single point does better than an adjusting two point is allow you to switch shoulders. This type of sling can be useful to assaulters who move to their objective mounted and then engage the enemy. Single points are best used on shorter carbines (less risk of a muzzle in the dirt).

Single point slings are generally a liability otherwise, with the gun dangling around and banging off of things.

Failure2Stop
07-18-08, 03:22
I have both a single point sling a Tacticallink and a two point sling a LaRue Tactical Padded Sling.
I know what I need and I have two rifles also two slings so when I need a single point sling I use it and when I want a two point sling I use it.;)

Allrighty then. I have learned long ago to not only know where my lane is but to identify where other's are. We are obviously not in the same general geographical area.

Oh thank's for all the advice. I don't recall asking for it but if it makes someone happy to dish it out.....;)

Yeah, you did.

In the future I will refrain from responding to your posts, as they are generally devoid of substance or information, posed as it seems, only to draw people into arguments with you.

Have a fantastic day.

Jay Cunningham
07-18-08, 03:33
In the future I will refrain from responding to your posts, as they are generally devoid of substance or information, posed as it seems, only to draw people into arguments with you.

Have a fantastic day.

BIG +1

bullitt5172
07-18-08, 07:09
BIG +1

I'll second that notion...

C4IGrant
07-18-08, 10:28
Grant, don't fall into the trap. Rifleshooter is a troll and every post he makes (and his PM's he sends to some of us) is full of lies and the sole intention is to upset the group. I would ignore every post he makes.

Roger that. Maybe we should just all save ourselves and remove him so he can no longer waste BW?

C4

DMZ666
07-18-08, 10:29
It's possible he is legit, maybe just not the most gear savvy. I know I have bought some crap in the past for sure.

Maybe boomer is just a bit let down . I remember back when I bought my first AR - I bought based on lowest price point,then did alot more research and found I only saved $45 over *any* other true quality piece. I lived and learned (and fixed a bunch of things ;) ) . The op is obviously after a range and field gun that has the badass look and not a serious duty tool to literally stake life and liberty on. Like many others it will be an entry gun and a learning experience (and maybe just the right thing to make him/her want the right stuff/proper training) I'm just a noob myself and not in the same league as most here - I consider it inspiration.

A square 10
07-19-08, 22:06
im the FNG here so ill stay out of the majority of the discussion , be going back to the first couple posts - id sugest get the rifle , hold it , shoot it , make it yours -then by the bling based on what you do with it , or dream of doing with it , you will choose based on your actual experience rather than the advertisement