PDA

View Full Version : Glock magazine tabs

ruchik
06-02-15, 07:18
Has anyone ever removed the tabs on the bottom of a Glock magazine to make disassembly easier? I've never seen that kind of design on any other magazines, and wondering if they are really necessary.

DWood
06-02-15, 09:27
Has anyone ever removed the tabs on the bottom of a Glock magazine to make disassembly easier? I've never seen that kind of design on any other magazines, and wondering if they are really necessary.

I don't believe in modifying my carry magazines and removing the tabs is not really necessary. Once you learn how Glock intended them to be disassembled, it's very simple to take them apart. This video shows what Glock teaches at their Armorer classes. There are several on youtube but this one is short and sweet. He failed to mention that squeezing the sides of the magazine between the thumb and index finger while levering the punch makes it easier (because of the tabs mentioned in the OP).

The one in the video came off pretty easily. If it's really stubborn, don't be afraid to put your right thumb on the front of the mag and pull hard on the punch. Pull forward and down and let the punch naturally pivot. Pushing the punch or Glock armorer tool all the way in and letting it pivot are the key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3BF5gyWVCQ

Joe Mamma
06-02-15, 09:53

I cut those small tabs off of mine very neatly with a razor blade. I have done that to quite a few Glock mags. I used them fairly hard for many years and have never had any problems.

Joe Mamma

Singlestack Wonder
06-02-15, 10:15
As stated before, learn how to properly remove the base plate. Takes about 2 seconds with a Glock tool. Modifying the magazine for real world use is not a good idea. There's a reason one can run over loaded Glock mags with a truck and they still work. Also, very concerning that a Glock Armorer would recommend removing the tabs.

Etho
06-02-15, 10:28
Agree with those guys. Its easy and simple with the armorer's punch. No reason to cut the tabs down or off. Its designed to be there and I'd hate for one day it gets loose without the tabs. Having the floor plate come off, even atthe range would be no bueno.

Joe Mamma
06-02-15, 12:33
As stated before, learn how to properly remove the base plate. Takes about 2 seconds with a Glock tool. Modifying the magazine for real world use is not a good idea. There's a reason one can run over loaded Glock mags with a truck and they still work. Also, very concerning that a Glock Armorer would recommend removing the tabs.

If you read what I wrote more carefully, you will see that I actually didn't recommend it. I am giving the original poster some real world data (based on a LOT of experience). He and you can make your own decisions and do as you wish.

I cut the tabs off and will continue to.

Let me let you in on a secret, Glock "Perfection" is just marketing.

Joe Mamma

ruchik
06-02-15, 13:40
I should have mentioned, I have to use 10 round mags. The only way I could get the base pads off was to throw em in a vise, squeeze the sides like no tomorrow, and pound the base pads forward with a punch and a hammer.

I was wondering about this because I have never seen any mags from any manufacturer use these kinds of tabs on any of their mags. This includes Sig, S&W, Zastava, Bersa, CZ, 1911 mags, etc., and they all seem to have no problems. Is there something unique about Glock mags that require those tabs?

Joe Mamma
06-02-15, 16:36
Is there something unique about Glock mags that require those tabs?

No. It's just a way of being more secure.

Joe Mamma

samuse
06-02-15, 20:37
I did it to a set of training/competition mags a few years ago.

Over 10K rounds through 6 mags, NO problems whatsoever...