PDA

View Full Version : Updating my Glock 19.

AFCATM
06-02-15, 13:28

I hope the pictures post. I removed the finger grooves and stippled the grip, trimmed the trigger guard and stippled it. Looking at scalloping the mag release button area. I have some old trijicon night sights that I have a hard time seeing and will replace them with 10-8 flat black rear with gold bead front. Tango down vickers extended mag release button and slide release. I am going to replace the glock 19 trigger with a glock 17. I will mount a Surefire X300 to it and then going to shoot the crap out of it. Im getting a German made unfired sig 228 soon and have another 19 so this is my fun/HD/car gun.

Sam
06-02-15, 13:48
Good job.

Question: On the average, ball park figure, how many rounds do you normally shoot a month?

AFCATM
06-02-15, 17:40
Thanks I used to shoot quite a bit and plan on getting out and shooting more. At the peak I was running between 200-600 a month. Life gets in the way sometimes.

darr3239
06-02-15, 18:25
A lot of guys round off that squared quarter on the trigger guard. Your finger isn't supposed to be up there anyway.

AFCATM
06-02-15, 18:41
I left it alone because of holster selections and using lights sometimes they snag with large gaps. I dont use the trigger guard.

Sam
06-02-15, 20:44
I asked about your quantity of shooting because I'm curious about the abrasion your shooting hand's fingers will get from the treatment in certain area.

The upper backstrap where the webbing of the shooting hand's thumb and index finger come together will get rubbed from the treatment, if it's very aggressive. The middle finger, the one you flip the bird with, will get abraded when it comes in contact with the bottom of the trigger guard. All of this will not be noticed during non shooting activities. During recoil is when you will feel it. Infrequent and short shooting sessions won't reveal the discomfort. One will only feel the result after a session of over 100 rounds or so. Shooting drills or competition that require drawing from a holster will accelerate the wear and tear on your hand.

You can minimize the abrasion by taking sand paper to the offending areas that bite your hand and defang the surface a bit.

Good luck.

FlyingHunter
06-02-15, 20:48
Nice stippling work.

AFCATM
06-02-15, 22:00
Sam,

The first glock I did was much more abrasive. This one is much less aggressive I ran some 320 grit sand paper and lightly sanded it a little. The pattern is tight and it feels like an HK USP texture or the Sig P226 E2 grip. I cant wait to go shoot it.

125 mph
06-02-15, 22:11
Looks way better than any one I've ever done. Nice work.

Bimmer
06-03-15, 01:49
[ATTACH=CONFIG]I am going to replace the glock 19 trigger with a glock 17.

OK, I give up. Is there a difference between the full-size and compact trigger?

jsharp
06-03-15, 02:56
Compact triggers are ribbed. Full size pistols have a smooth trigger.

teksid
06-03-15, 05:06
Compact triggers are ribbed. Full size pistols have a smooth trigger.

And it's for importation purposes, or was.

AFCATM
06-03-15, 08:20
The 17 is smooth and not stepped like the 19. Just feels nicer.

jsharp
06-03-15, 11:45
I asked about your quantity of shooting because I'm curious about the abrasion your shooting hand's fingers will get from the treatment in certain area.

The upper backstrap where the webbing of the shooting hand's thumb and index finger come together will get rubbed from the treatment, if it's very aggressive. The middle finger, the one you flip the bird with, will get abraded when it comes in contact with the bottom of the trigger guard. All of this will not be noticed during non shooting activities. During recoil is when you will feel it. Infrequent and short shooting sessions won't reveal the discomfort. One will only feel the result after a session of over 100 rounds or so. Shooting drills or competition that require drawing from a holster will accelerate the wear and tear on your hand.

You can minimize the abrasion by taking sand paper to the offending areas that bite your hand and defang the surface a bit.

Good luck.

I can attest to this. Took my brand new at the time G23 to a 2 day class. After about 700 rounds over the 2 days the trigger guard had removed 1 1/2 layers of skin from my right middle finger. It wasn't quite bleeding, but close enough... If I was going to use that pistol for the same thing again I'd polish the area as smooth as I could get it.

AFCATM
06-03-15, 23:42
I took some 320 grit sand paper to it. My goal was a more secure fit than the original grip but also I have always hated the finger grooves on the glock. My other Glock 19 I ground the finger grooves off of and stippled it too. That one is much more aggressive and is not too bad. This one should be more comfortable. I could see it being more abrasive in a 40 caliber than a 9mm though.

Spurholder
06-05-15, 08:45
The 17 is smooth and not stepped like the 19. Just feels nicer.

It's a $15 part - order the entire G17 trigger bar from Brownells, Midway, Glockmeister, or whatever and swap them out. Easy replacement.

Gen3 part number: GLO-357
Gen4 part number: GLO-3608

Surf
06-05-15, 15:25
I do all of my pistols and a lot of work for others, however most do not prefer to texture in the area's that Sam mentioned for those reasons, myself included. However if it works for you it will gain traction. Actually when I undercut or radius the trigger guard it isn't so much to get "higher" on the pistol in relation to the bore, like many speak about, but it is rather to alleviate the Glock knuckle first and foremost. I shoot a few thousand rounds a month so the Glock knuckle is my bigger issue but texture in those areas will be a no go for me. Also shooting even a few hundred rounds and the texture in certain places will probably become an issue.

The good thing is that it is a Glock and knocking the texture down and smoothing it out is simple enough.

AFCATM
06-10-15, 21:43
I really did not cut that high as seen in the pictures. Yes I can move up ever so slightly but I don't beat the snot out of my knuckle. I'm too chicken to cut higher. Lol