PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Spitfire or PA 5x Prism

loki993
06-02-15, 14:19
I got the BUIS taken care of on my AR and now I need an optic. Its a bone stock 6920, so definitely not a precision rifle and I dont intend to make it one. I will be shooting mostly at paper out to 200 yards, maybe occasionally farther. Ill also use it for 3 gun at some point soon.

For whatever reason id like a magnified optic for it and Ive narrowed it down to The Vortex Spitfire or the PA 5x 223/5.56 scope. Apparently Lucid is coming out with the P7 as well, a 4x scope but I haven't seen any reviews nor does anyone have any yet.

So Are any of these better than the others or just go with the one that have the reticle I like best?

Any reason I wouldn't want an magnified optic?

VIP3R 237
06-02-15, 14:52
I have a PA 4x I've shot an honest 19k rounds with and I have never had an issue. The reticle works as advertised, the glass is good, and the eye relief is decent. I do not have much experience with the Vortex Spitfire but I prefer the ACSS reticle of the PA, however Vortex offers a no questions asked Lifetime warranty.

loki993
06-03-15, 07:26
So are you using that on a 300BO or AK or will that work with 223/5.56 as well? The 4x is what I would really want but by reading their site I have to go up to the 5x to get a 223 reticle. I guess PA also has a 2.5 that may fit the bill thats a little cheaper and may be able to straddle the line of fast shooting 3 gun and my longer range target shooting.

Vortexs warranty is really good..that definitely comes into play..their stuff is a bit more money and Ive read some things about their buttons being finicky at times and/or just plain not working. A lot of people use them and love them though...

GH41
06-03-15, 08:36
You are going to be severely handicapped shooting close targets fast with a fixed 4-5 power scope. Also note that if sighted in at 50 yards 556 will impact no higher or lower than two inches from the muzzle to 250 yards. A bone stock 6920 screams for a PRO!

loki993
06-03-15, 08:44
You are going to be severely handicapped shooting close targets fast with a fixed 4-5 power scope. Also note that if sighted in at 50 yards 556 will impact no higher or lower than two inches from the muzzle to 250 yards. A bone stock 6920 screams for a PRO!

I thought it may be an issue which is why I asked if I should be looking at magnified optics at all. Problem is I dont know what Ill do more of...3 gun or just regular target shooting...even the regular target shooting though will probably rarely go beyond 100 yards.

When you said that at first I thought I cant afford an aimpoint but the pro doesnt look horribly expensive....I could get a PA or Vortex for a lot less even.....hmm

What about something like 2.5 or 3x? Still too much magnification for close targets?

caporider
06-03-15, 12:24
I thought it may be an issue which is why I asked if I should be looking at magnified optics at all. Problem is I dont know what Ill do more of...3 gun or just regular target shooting...even the regular target shooting though will probably rarely go beyond 100 yards.

When you said that at first I thought I cant afford an aimpoint but the pro doesnt look horribly expensive....I could get a PA or Vortex for a lot less even.....hmm

What about something like 2.5 or 3x? Still too much magnification for close targets?

I can tell you the PA 5x works very well with an offset micro RDS. With a little stabilization (e.g. clamping the handguard against a barrier) it's pretty easy to hit a 3" plate at 100yds or a 6" plate at 200yds repeatedly with the 5x. Illumination at the highest setting is daylight bright. On my 5x the little fragment of pic rail is held on using some type of rubberized glue (like RTV) so to remove the rail you'd have to peel it off with some force then remove the residue.

Overall, not a bad value for the asking price.

http://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/ar15/556_125_pa5x_1024px.jpg

GH41
06-03-15, 13:01

2.5 or 3 will never be as fast up close as a zero magnification dot sight with both eyes open. I run a Leupold 1.25x4 and can manage at 1.25 with both eyes open but above that it gets weird in a hurry. You have one of the finest general purpose ARs made but it isn't a race gun! Put a PRO on it and learn how to shoot with it.

loki993
06-04-15, 08:23
2.5 or 3 will never be as fast up close as a zero magnification dot sight with both eyes open. I run a Leupold 1.25x4 and can manage at 1.25 with both eyes open but above that it gets weird in a hurry. You have one of the finest general purpose ARs made but it isn't a race gun! Put a PRO on it and learn how to shoot with it.

Sounds like a good plan. Now to just find a PRO that I can afford.

tevan0707
06-04-15, 08:48
Wait for the new strike eagle from vortex, 1-6 power with a true 1 power. Best of both worlds, especially if you plan to do 3 gun with it.

GH41
06-04-15, 15:41
Sounds like a good plan. Now to just find a PRO that I can afford.

Be patient. I sold a PRO with ADM QD mount for $450 and have seen several with the factory mount sell for $325-350. A lot of old guys like me can't use them and flip them.

loki993
06-05-15, 09:52
I will, I have the irons so Ill just use those until I can find a decent prince on a PRO. Also its staying on the rifle so a QD mount is not really needed...the stock one would be fine....so no hassling with pricy mounts either.