PDA

View Full Version : Cruising to Mexico...

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-03-15, 14:35
I HATE having my head cut off, being abducted, or being tortured for political means. With that said, I do really love drinking Pacificos on white sands beaches.

My wife and I would like to take our second cruise in July and need to purchase our tickets ASAP, we have only cruised to the Bahamas before. Both cruises we are considering have port stops in Mexico: Yucatan, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. While I would love to see Chichen Itza, eat the local food, and drink myself silly on the beach, I want to know that it is safe.

Have any of you recently been to these locations? Have the drug warfare issues creeped into these tourist provinces yet? Would I be putting us in danger by going there?

Ick
06-03-15, 14:45
No problemo Seņor.

TehLlama
06-03-15, 14:50
Tourism pays too well, all those areas are practically manicured compared to the rest of the area. A lot of the more recent 'horror' stories have an element of people bent on finding stupid games in order to acquire stupid prizes.

SilverBullet432
06-03-15, 15:28
:lol: basically its like this: unless youre walking around Acapulco sporting various gold bling, rolex and the sort, you'll be alright. The only ones who get their heads cut off are rival gang members... Also, if any gunfights do break out, they'll usually happen away from resorts in bad parts of town. Definitely watch your 6 at all times, but don't make it obvious. Relax and have fun!

Ryno12
06-03-15, 15:56
Dude, the fact that you even need to ask that question should throw up a red flag. There's too many nice places in the Caribbean to vacation, that nobody should have to put their hard-earned money into that shithole's economy.

WillBrink
06-03-15, 16:03
I HATE having my head cut off, being abducted, or being tortured for political means. With that said, I do really love drinking Pacificos on white sands beaches.

My wife and I would like to take our second cruise in July and need to purchase our tickets ASAP, we have only cruised to the Bahamas before. Both cruises we are considering have port stops in Mexico: Yucatan, Cozumel, and Costa Maya. While I would love to see Chichen Itza, eat the local food, and drink myself silly on the beach, I want to know that it is safe.

Have any of you recently been to these locations? Have the drug warfare issues creeped into these tourist provinces yet? Would I be putting us in danger by going there?

My understanding is the high tourist areas such as those tend to be fairly safe with police presence as they generate income. Harming gringos is very bad for tourism. You can look at usual places, such as state department alerts, etc to see what's up. Having said that, why go to a place it's a question if you don't have to and so many other choices exist? South and Central America are full of interesting countries with ports of call. Personally, I'd look further into other places, but I doubt you're in great risk in those locations in Mexico. Obviously "safe" is a relative term.

Eurodriver
06-03-15, 16:12
Dude, the fact that you even need to ask that question should throw up a red flag. There's too many nice places in the Caribbean to vacation, that nobody should have to put their hard-earned money into that shithole's economy.

I just got back from the Caribbean. All over the Caribbean.

I don't know of these "nice places" you speak. St Thomas, Tortola, Nassau, St Lucia, St Croix - All shit holes of the first order.

In fact, Nassau has a travel advisory out issued by the State Department right now.

SilverBullet432
06-03-15, 16:20
From my experience, (not mil or le, just travel) most of your violence in MX will be along border towns or deep in rural communities.

Ryno12
06-03-15, 16:41

I don't know of these "nice places" you speak. St Thomas, Tortola, Nassau, St Lucia, St Croix - All shit holes of the first order.

In fact, Nassau has a travel advisory out issued by the State Department right now.

That doesn't surprise me that you'd disagree with me. I'm not sure there's anything that we've ever shared an opinion on. That said, the last time I was in St Lucia, I wasn't the slightest concerned about being kidnapped or beheaded when venturing off the resort. There's dumpy areas all over. Risks of kidnapping/beheading are a little less prevalent in some places versus others.

Shorts
06-03-15, 17:00
My thoughts echo WBs.
No recent info though, last trip was Cancun & Isla Mujeres in '12 (flew in). But generally speaking, don't put yourself in weird places, don't wave your stuff out there for the world to see. I also had the same question, why put my good money to a country that is, well, that. At the end of the day, go where you want. I think vacationing in Mexico is like riding a moped, everyone says don't do it but secretly everyone's done it and they had fun. I enjoyed it. Loved the beaches, cheap food and drink and the getaway. Even rented a moped :p

My last cruise was in fall of '10 down that way...Progresso, Cozumel and somewhere else, I forget. Again fun, same concerns and opsec.

Honu
06-03-15, 20:06
I used to live in Hondruas ? dangerous place in places nice in others

would not want to live or go hang out in many dem run cities in our country either ! Milwaukee had how many shootings over labor day something like 30+

my reasons for not going to Mexico is plenty of places here to see and do head to Hawaii drink Mai Tai instead :)

the resort I lived in had free drinks on Fri was great for us that lived there long term :)

I love Central America wish but not holding breathe they clean it up till then just going to not support it and support places here instead

JusticeM4
06-03-15, 22:11
I'm a big fan of cruises, and was in Cozumel Mexico last summer in a Carnival cruise. The tourist areas are fine. They always suggest to stay in the tourist zones as much as possible and book the excursions with the cruise company instead of some random guy at the port.

I visited the Mayan Ruins in Tulum Mexico and it was very nice and well worth it. Many people here who have little or no experience cruising probably give inaccurate advice. In all my cruises it has been pretty safe (Carribean, Bahamas, Mexico). I go to a cruise at least once a year and have never felt unsafe as long as you practice some common sense.

Whiskey_Bravo
06-03-15, 22:36
That doesn't surprise me that you'd disagree with me. I'm not sure there's anything that we've ever shared an opinion on. That said, the last time I was in St Lucia, I wasn't the slightest concerned about being kidnapped or beheaded when venturing off the resort. There's dumpy areas all over. Risks of kidnapping/beheading are a little less prevalent in some places versus others.

I am hoping there was some sarcasim in his response.

But just in case I agree on St. Lucia. Holy crap I have walked, rented a car, and taken the "public buses" ( private vans that run a bus route) all over that island and never had a problem. I have ridden the public buses packed with locals and walked miles there with no issue other than guys trying to sell me weed or other stuff. I had a guy try to get pissed because I didn't buy his magic beans once but I think he understood by my look I wasn't going to cave but I guess magic bean salesmen Might be pretty scary.

Basically, if you think ST. Lucia is a shit hole you need to get out more and leave the cruise ship areas. I have slept in everything from nice resorts to shitty "apartment" type rooms and have never had an issue.

Honu
06-03-15, 23:56
the way things happen on cruise ships that might be the most scary part

Iraqgunz
06-04-15, 00:25
Here's my recommendation. Use Google and look at all the incidents that have happened in the tourist places. "Chapo" Guzman was arrested in Mazatlan.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/22/world/americas/mexico-cartel-chief-arrest/

Gun battle near Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco about 3 hours from Phoenix) leaves several dead.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/12/18/4-killed-in-gunbattle-near-mexican-resort/4116099/

Dozens killed in Acapulco. This was from early 2015. http://www.laht.com/article.asp?CategoryId=14091&ArticleId=389823

Cancun- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/14/cancun-drug-murders-6-strangled-1-decapitated-mexico-resort_n_3081836.html

The assertion that these areas are safe isn't quite true anymore, and a gringo could easily be caught up in some shitty situation. No doubt that situational awareness is part of it, but remember you will stand out.

Iraqgunz
06-04-15, 00:29
I think you are confusing Milwaukee with Detroit or Chicago.

I used to live in Hondruas ? dangerous place in places nice in others

would not want to live or go hang out in many dem run cities in our country either ! Milwaukee had how many shootings over labor day something like 30+

my reasons for not going to Mexico is plenty of places here to see and do head to Hawaii drink Mai Tai instead :)

the resort I lived in had free drinks on Fri was great for us that lived there long term :)

I love Central America wish but not holding breathe they clean it up till then just going to not support it and support places here instead

Iraqgunz
06-04-15, 00:35
Acapulco 2010- http://articles.latimes.com/2010/apr/14/world/la-fg-acapulco-shooting15-2010apr15

Acapulco 2009- http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/archive/NATL-18-Killed-in-Shootout-at-Mexicos-Acapulco-Resort.html

Mazatlan 2013- http://www.lapoliticaeslapolitica.com/2013/12/shootout-rattles-tourist-zone-in.html

SilverBullet432
06-04-15, 01:25
We aren't saying bad things don't happen there. They do. Bad things happen everywhere. Any where in the world. Doesn't mean we should let it ruin vacations though.

Iraqgunz
06-04-15, 01:37
I am simply pointing out that the belief of nothing really happens in the tourist areas (which I listed above) is not true. There was a time when it was that way. That changed as we entered into the 2000's and the cartels became more violent.

We aren't saying bad things don't happen there. They do. Bad things happen everywhere. Any where in the world. Doesn't mean we should let it ruin vacations though.

Honu
06-04-15, 02:02
yeah or maybe was baltimore :) forgot was not the normal chicago but forgot :)
but either way Chicago or parts of LA or heck even her in parts of PHX I am sure are not very safe after hours
I think you are confusing Milwaukee with Detroit or Chicago.

Ryno12
06-04-15, 03:44
I am hoping there was some sarcasim in his response.

But just in case I agree on St. Lucia. Holy crap I have walked, rented a car, and taken the "public buses" ( private vans that run a bus route) all over that island and never had a problem. I have ridden the public buses packed with locals and walked miles there with no issue other than guys trying to sell me weed or other stuff. I had a guy try to get pissed because I didn't buy his magic beans once but I think he understood by my look I wasn't going to cave but I guess magic bean salesmen Might be pretty scary.

Basically, if you think ST. Lucia is a shit hole you need to get out more and leave the cruise ship areas. I have slept in everything from nice resorts to shitty "apartment" type rooms and have never had an issue.
:confused:
I think you need to reread my post. I DON'T think St Lucia is a shit hole.

...or you quoted the wrong guy.

Ryno12
06-04-15, 03:50
but either way Chicago or parts of LA or heck even her in parts of PHX I am sure are not very safe after hours

That kinda goes without saying and also, those places aren't exactly "sunny beach vacation destinations" either.

Honu
06-04-15, 04:35
yes I know :) the point is anywhere can be safe or dangerous depending where you go what you do how you act

That kinda goes without saying and also, those places aren't exactly "sunny beach vacation destinations" either.

Iraqgunz
06-04-15, 06:20
True. However I did find something of interest. The population of Baltimore is considerably less than metro Phoenix. About 900,000 less. As you know we have constitutional carry, NFA friendly, etc... and yet in 2014 the homicide rate in Baltimore was double that of Phoenix.

jmoney
06-04-15, 06:49

I think this should be the main take away. Yes, many parts of the carribean are not all sparkles, but that is to be expected. Nassau CAN be a little rough, but that is pretty much going to be if you are in the poorer parts of town, or walking around drunk downtown at night. The main risk there is robbery, not kidnapping/murder, etc. I was just there last year for a couple weeks and it really is not bad at all, frankly I think parts of most urban American Cities are worse than nassau.

JoshNC
06-04-15, 07:44
Why not go somewhere safer, like the Bahamas, Barbados, St Maarten, Brit Virgin Islands, Belize, etc.

cbx
06-04-15, 09:44
Cancun is safe. So is playa del Carmen. Stay out of Acapulco. Puerto vallarta if you don't leave the resort.

Westen Mexico is where most of the problems are. Even the Mexicans call it the "contested area". We felt very safe,I least I did in carmen beach. But I hablo, and after being in sao Paulo, even compton feels safe......lol.

Eurodriver
06-04-15, 10:04
Basically, if you think ST. Lucia is a shit hole you need to get out more and leave the cruise ship areas.

Basically, if you think St Lucia isn't a shit hole you need to get out more and see places like Maui, Tahiti, New Zealand.

Maybe my perspective is different, having grown up in Florida, lived in Hawaii, and vacationed in actual nice places in the Pacific but I see no need to ever visit the Caribbean ever again. I'm not saying the Caribbean is dangerous at all. I'm saying it's a dump. Literally. Go to Virgin Gorda and take a trip to the baths. Add up all of the roadside trash piles if you can count that high.

ETA: Norwegian has a special right now. $500 7 day cruises from England along Portugal to Monaco. With airfare it works out to about the same price as a balcony room on the Getaway from Miami to St Thomas, Tortola, and Nassau.

Ryno12
06-04-15, 10:38
Basically, if you think St Lucia isn't a shit hole you need to get out more and see places like Maui, Tahiti, New Zealand.

Maybe my perspective is different...

You're clearly in the minority soooo...

Does it have dumpy areas? Sure. Lots of places do. As an American in St Lucia (or any of the other islands you mentioned), do you have to continually "watch you six" & worry about being kidnapped or beheaded? Not so much.

This thread is more about life safety than it is about dumpy areas.

Eurodriver
06-04-15, 11:42
I suppose so. For folks living in Midwest-snow-ridden-suburbia USA the Caribbean must seem amazing.

For me, the Caribbean makes no sense (and I say this having just gotten off the Norwegian Getaway not even a month ago, having multiple friends born in St Lucia, and travelling to the Caribbean more times than I care to have done so) considering I can get off work and catch a ferry to Peanut Island while carrying a gun in my board shorts. (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?169749-SmartCarry-a-useless-G43-deep-concealment-and-remaining-effective) Try doing that off a cruise ship. You want to talk about safety? You show up on a big ass boat that everyone on the island can see and every single person knows you don't have so much as a leatherman on you.

LSHD, you're good to go in Mexico man. My buddy just rolled through there in early May and had a blast from Tampa to Cozumel, et al. But you know the Pacific is something else ;) Take a flight!

I may be in the minority, but I am not speaking without experience.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/IMG_2786_zpshkhtmnww.jpg
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w521/6234987u02/DSC03790_zpshefkhvzl.jpg

Mjolnir
06-04-15, 13:09
The cartels own the tourist areas. Usually there is no competition from rivals.

If you're married and not chasing the local women you lower your odds of encountering them - though they are around.

-------------------------------------
"One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep."

Whiskey_Bravo
06-04-15, 13:27
:confused:
I think you need to reread my post. I DON'T think St Lucia is a shit hole.

...or you quoted the wrong guy.

Sorry, it wasn't clear but I was agreeing with you. I was saying that I hope Euro was being sarcastic about St. Lucia.

Whiskey_Bravo
06-04-15, 13:39
Are there better places in the world than the Caribbean? Sure but most of them aren't a 2-3 hour flight away from Miami or Dallas. If you go to Turks and Caicos(and yes even St. Lucia) and think it's a dump I guess you have way better standards than me. It may not be the best in the world but to compare it to Tahiti seems silly. as you are comparing a cheap 2-3 hour flight to a 14 hour flight that starts at around $1,500....then your hotel/resort. Not really apples to apples. But I am not sure if you are comparing visiting these places off of a cruise ship. I don't take cruises so I wouldn't know what it's like to only visit the port city and take "excursions".

Everyone looks for different things when they get away, and not everyone needs or wants it to be 100% polished for tourist. It's also probably smart to assume most people have differing budgets to keep in mind.

Ryno12
06-04-15, 14:15
Sorry, it wasn't clear but I was agreeing with you. I was saying that I hope Euro was being sarcastic about St. Lucia.

Gotcha, no problem. I see it now.

Euro lives in the pinnacle of paradise (just ask him, he'll tell ya) so every thing else would be a shit hole to him.

His well travelled education has taught him that the Midwest is always cold, dark, and covered in snow, so take his opinion with a grain of salt.

Honu
06-04-15, 14:32
YUP believe that :) good article somewhere about the Dem run cities and crime waves that have been happening
True. However I did find something of interest. The population of Baltimore is considerably less than metro Phoenix. About 900,000 less. As you know we have constitutional carry, NFA friendly, etc... and yet in 2014 the homicide rate in Baltimore was double that of Phoenix.

Honu
06-04-15, 14:39
when you go to the Caribbean you have to embrace the 3rd world charm :)
one of my Maui buds moved to caribbean but his wife is a doc so they live well he works on boats life is good to them and they know where to avoid

Maui has a 3rd world charm when you live there even
when I lived in the Caribbean I had more in common with the islanders in many ways then when I moved to the mainland

I know the trash and scamming tourists is common and happens more in Caribbean and I am sure Euro (could be wrong) heads out to party a bit more than some of us older married folks would :) and that is not a dig I was out every night when I lived in the Caribbean at the dance halls with my local buds :)

again good and bad parts and even Maui has its dumpy hotels and parts

Eurodriver
06-04-15, 15:54
His well travelled education has taught him that the Midwest is always cold, dark, and covered in snow, so take his opinion with a grain of salt.

Since I've disagreed with everything else you've said, I might as well point out that it was not my education, but the Marine Corps, that taught me everywhere in CONUS north of Orlando is cold.

Waylander
06-04-15, 23:31
I haven't cruised to Mexico but my wife has with her family. She said they had a terrible time. Every stop they made, guys were pestering them trying to sell stuff, begging for money, drunks and just assholes in general. Waiters were rude especially if they didn't leave large tips.

Together we've been to the Bahamas twice and the Virgin Islands. The Bahamas is OK but the Virgin Islands are a little nicer. The locals in both places have a laid back attitude and more friendly to nonnatives.

ETA:
After I reread your OP, it seems like you're set on going on a cruise. I would definitely recommend the Eastern Caribbean over the Western. That said, I don't think you'll be in any danger of being harmed if you must go to Mexico. I'm sure it depends if you plan on staying in the areas closer to the ships or going on excursions as well.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-05-15, 02:41
Now that we've all argued....

I took all of your advice into account, and talked to a fellow deputy with family all over Mexico. His advice was this: DO NOT GO TO MEXICO.

So I thought about it, and decided I wouldnt willingly walk the streets of Compton, with my wife, and without the means to defend myself. I won't do it south of the border either.

My wife suggested Jamaica, and eventually we purchased a week at an all inclusive resort in Jamaica. The costs evened out, but the booze is free! I know Jamaica can be unsafe at times too, but I plan on spending most of my time at the pool bar, drinking Hurricanes and frozen margs, and forgetting about the rest of the world.

Honu
06-05-15, 03:28
inclusive resorts can be pretty good stuff :)

I used to teach the scuba at one met some really cool folks and with so many activities or just liming really no reason to go anywhere

I do know some of the fun river runs and waterfalls are safe I hear from folks I knew that live there :)

have fun with the wife on holiday :)

KalashniKEV
06-05-15, 12:34

I actually just got back from the Borderlands, and partied in shady Mexico where warfare basically was going on in-and-around mi fiesta.

Just don't be stupid and you'll be fine.

Gun or no gun, if you're the kind of guy that presents as a Target here, you will be tracked as prey there. Simple stuff.

(I also believe that it is possible to get pretty drunk, have a good time and still maintain better situational awareness than the average doof just shopping for trinkets. You just have to make it part of your conscious though.)

BIGUGLY
06-08-15, 13:21
Spent a week in Playa Del Carmen with the spouse and about 25 friends for a wedding. It was fun and had no worries and that's with 6 cops in the group. went snorkeling up the coast and spend a day in Chichen itza and a underground senote, I don't remember how to spell it but we had a great time. Had no security worries and went by quite a few traffic choke points that were manned by federal and local LEO The area around Playa is very Americanized and has a mall you would find anywhere in a larger U.S. city.

Moose-Knuckle
06-09-15, 00:48
This is the only way I'd cruise old Mexico . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-Eo9O0q26k

JusticeM4
06-09-15, 19:07
^ Looks cool, but not relaxing lol.

Most cruises overseas are rather safe. This is because the Cruise company is responsible for any issues abroad to any of their clients/passengers so they take good measures to make sure the places they go to are safe 'tourist' areas. But even if you venture out a bit off the beaten path, as long as you exercise common sense and don't look like a target (i.e. a dumb tourist with a lot of money) you'll be alright.

Cruising is not for everyone though. If you don't like it, its ok. but you're missing out.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-09-15, 20:18

Most cruises overseas are rather safe. This is because the Cruise company is responsible for any issues abroad to any of their clients/passengers so they take good measures to make sure the places they go to are safe 'tourist' areas. But even if you venture out a bit off the beaten path, as long as you exercise common sense and don't look like a target (i.e. a dumb tourist with a lot of money) you'll be alright.

Cruising is not for everyone though. If you don't like it, its ok. but you're missing out.

I dont feel I am missing out by spending a week in Jamaica instead of a week cruising...

Moose-Knuckle
06-10-15, 11:12
Cruise ships also suffer power failures, outbreaks of illness, et al. The last thing I will ever do is pay money to be stuck with a bunch of strangers on a boat in the middle of the ocean with no clean water and working air conditioner. I spend the money instead on vacations the hell away from crowds. Lot of horror stories the last couple of years of cruises gone south. The one video posted online showing people shitting in the hallways outside their state rooms after the plumbing went tits up and no power was enough for me. No thanks, YMMV.

WillBrink
06-10-15, 11:23
I dont feel I am missing out by spending a week in Jamaica instead of a week cruising...

As long as you stay on the reservation you're GTG. Off the resort, not so much. Jamaica is a very dangerous place. Personally, the thought of having to stay on a resort for my own protection does not interest me, but many seem to enjoy them. I'd take a trip to places like Panama, Costa Rica, and yes, even Colombia before I'd bother with a resort in Jamaica.

WillBrink
06-10-15, 11:24

I didn't think I'd enjoy a cruise and was sure I was not one of "those" cruise people. I ended up enjoying it very much and have done several since.

Moose-Knuckle
06-10-15, 11:40
As long as you stay on the reservation you're GTG. Off the resort, not so much. Jamaica is a very dangerous place. Personally, the thought of having to stay on a resort for my own protection does not interest me, but many seem to enjoy them. I'd take a trip to places like Panama, Costa Rica, and yes, even Colombia before I'd bother with a resort in Jamaica.

Yeah I never go to places that one I cannot be armed and two the local population want to kill me for no other reason than the color of my skin and or my nationality.

Whiskey_Bravo
06-10-15, 12:02
Cruise ships also suffer power failures, outbreaks of illness, et al. The last thing I will ever do is pay money to be stuck with a bunch of strangers on a boat in the middle of the ocean with no clean water and working air conditioner. I spend the money instead on vacations the hell away from crowds. Lot of horror stories the last couple of years of cruises gone south. The one video posted online showing people shitting in the hallways outside their state rooms after the plumbing went tits up and no power was enough for me. No thanks, YMMV.

This x 1000000000. Cruises are not for me. I can't stand large crowds normally, then cram a large crowd onto a boat? No thanks.