PDA

View Full Version : Faxon Firearms 18" Gunner profile barrel w/ rifle gas

BufordTJustice
06-03-15, 20:27
Just took receipt of my new Faxon Firearms 18" Gunner profile barrel with .625" gas block journal and rifle length gas port. I'll have pictures and weight later tonight or tomorrow.

So far, it appears to be very well made. QPQ finish is excellent, M4 feedramps are perfectly machined, muzzle crown is very well machined. I don't have a bore scope, but the rifling appears clean as well.

While not a continuous taper profile, like an ELW, it is light under the handguard and lighter from gas block journal to the flare before the muzzle threads. It does have a flare to retain the handguard cap of a set of plastic handguards.

Some basic specs: 4150 steel, air gauged, button rifled, 1:8 twist, QPQ inside and out, 5.56 NATO chamber, 11 degree crown, MPI.

I got a solid LEO discount, but threw in a gas tube as well. I was out the door for about $190. Can't beat that price with a stick.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/25/7c243a9812d1c04f5720d72d321856b4.jpg

wegner426
06-03-15, 21:13
Thanks for the update, please post your accuracy results when you get a chance to get some rounds downrange.

misfit47
06-04-15, 06:29
Definitely keep us updated on performance of this barrel. They are attractively priced and very tempting.

BufordTJustice
06-04-15, 07:25
Will do. Still need to grab an SLR Ti sentry 6 AGB. Got a V7 Weapons systems Ti KMR barrel nut on the way now.

My only issue with it is the barrel was not dimpled. Not a big deal for me since I have the BRD barrel dimpling jig, but a dimple would be nice. The QPQ nitride finish basically destroyed a std bit i tried..... dulled the hell out of the tip and started getting rather warm. Switched to a cobalt tipped bit and had no issues, though it certainly didn't start nearly as fast as an untreated barrel.

I'll try to snap some sh*tty pix tonight.

FaxonNathan
06-04-15, 18:15
Will do. Still need to grab an SLR Ti sentry 6 AGB. Got a V7 Weapons systems Ti KMR barrel nut on the way now.

My only issue with it is the barrel was not dimpled. Not a big deal for me since I have the BRD barrel dimpling jig, but a dimple would be nice. The QPQ nitride finish basically destroyed a std bit i tried..... dulled the hell out of the tip and started getting rather warm. Switched to a cobalt tipped bit and had no issues, though it certainly didn't start nearly as fast as an untreated barrel.

I'll try to snap some sh*tty pix tonight.

We would like to see the completed build!

BufordTJustice
06-07-15, 21:57
We would like to see the completed build!
Will do. I got slammed with call outs this last week and am heading to Baltimore tomorrow for some AVID forensic training. But I'll get some pix up this coming weekend.

BrigandTwoFour
06-07-15, 23:58
Looking forward to seeing your thoughts. I've been eyeballing one of their barrels for a 308 project.

Junkie
06-08-15, 21:03
That's a nice looking barrel. I wish the Adams Arms/VooDoo 16.5" rifle gassed barrel had a .625 gas block like that.

BufordTJustice
06-08-15, 21:10
That's a nice looking barrel. I wish the Adams Arms/VooDoo 16.5" rifle gassed barrel had a .625 gas block like that.
That and price pushed me toward the Faxon. It's basically half the price of the Voodoo barrel.

Junkie
06-08-15, 21:41
Looking at it I guess you can get the 18" with a .625 block, just not the 16.5" for some reason. The 18" costs a lot more than the 16.5" for some reason too.

jackmobes
06-11-15, 11:39
Great price! I just built an 18" rifle gas with an Aero Precision barrel. This was my first 18" build and I have to say Im hooked. The recoil is so much lighter than my 16" guns, Im really pleased with the accuracy too.

FaxonNathan
06-11-15, 12:22
Great price! I just built an 18" rifle gas with an Aero Precision barrel. This was my first 18" build and I have to say Im hooked. The recoil is so much lighter than my 16" guns, Im really pleased with the accuracy too.

How's it shooting, accuracy wise?

Cold/Bore
06-12-15, 15:24
Could we get some measurements on the barrel diameter, fore and aft of the gas block?

jackmobes
06-15-15, 10:07
How's it shooting, accuracy wise?

I haven't been able to bench shoot it yet, but in the sitting and prone I was popping clothespins off of 550 chord at about 50 yards without much effort. I plan to bench shoot it in the next couple weeks and Ill post the results.

FaxonNathan
06-15-15, 14:35
I haven't been able to bench shoot it yet, but in the sitting and prone I was popping clothespins off of 550 chord at about 50 yards without much effort. I plan to bench shoot it in the next couple weeks and Ill post the results.

I think that means its pretty good. :cool:

Grew up around clothespins and they aren't more than a 1/2" if your using the old wooden ones?

TacticalSledgehammer
06-19-15, 21:50
I'd love to see a 14.5" version of this barrel. I've got a colt already, but was thinking of using parts from the area (Cincinnati, OH) to complete this build. Its a silly goal but with companies like anderson, faxon, and a few others local, it would be a fun project.
Email inbound Nathan!

FaxonNathan
06-19-15, 21:59
I'd love to see a 14.5" version of this barrel. I've got a colt already, but was thinking of using parts from the area (Cincinnati, OH) to complete this build. Its a silly goal but with companies like anderson, faxon, and a few others local, it would be a fun project.
Email inbound Nathan!

They should be done next week.

BufordTJustice
06-20-15, 10:25
They should be done next week.
Yeah, ironically my dad and his family are all from Cincinnati.

Going to be assembling my barrel this weekend. Had tons of unexpected call outs over the past few weeks. The SLR Rifleworks Ti Sentry 6 set screw gas block is ready for install.

Pix to come.

BufordTJustice
06-22-15, 11:00
Alright. Barrel is installed and everything went well. The weight Faxon gives is spot on. Installation with the V7 Weapons Systems Ti BCM KMR barrel nut went flawlessly.

Total rifle weight (Handy rifle) with aimpoint T1 on a Larue LT660 and no mag is 6.64 pounds for an 18" barrel with rifle gas and a reliable AGB (SLR Rifleworks Ti Sentry 6 set screw).

That's down from ~6.94 pounds and the front of the gun feels SUBSTANTIALLY lighter.

Going to sight-in and run a few rounds through today.

Here goes nothing....

NOTE: Barrel has been torqued to 45 foot pounds, EFAB muzzle device timed right about 20 foot pounds using the PA precision shim kit and plenty of lube.

Gas block attached using Green loctite 620 sleeve retainer around the gas block journal, McMaster Carr knurled-cup-tip set screws using Resbond Blue 907TS high temp threadlocker. I torqued the set screws by hand until I felt the knurling grab the barrel metal and fold a little bit. Barrel was dimpled as stated previously.

FaxonNathan
06-22-15, 11:29
Alright. Barrel is installed and everything went well. The weight Faxon gives is spot on. Installation with the V7 Weapons Systems Ti BCM KMR barrel nut went flawlessly.

Total rifle weight (Handy rifle) with aimpoint T1 on a Larue LT660 and no mag is 6.64 pounds for an 18" barrel with rifle gas and a reliable AGB (SLR Rifleworks Ti Sentry 6 set screw).

That's down from ~6.94 pounds and the front of the gun feels SUBSTANTIALLY lighter.

Going to sight-in and run a few rounds through today.

Here goes nothing....

Enjoy! Want to see your results from the range.

BufordTJustice
06-22-15, 18:42
Enjoy! Want to see your results from the range.
Yep, VERY pleased.

And despite it having a ~.081 gas port, I still adjusted the Ti Sentry 6 gas block down by between 4 and 6 notches out of the 15 total positions. That's 1.33 to 2 full revolutions of closure. I apologize for not being sure, but it was hot as all hell and I lost count as I was sighting in my irons and aimpoint. Actual temp in the outdoor 500 yard rifle lanes was over 100, with no breeze and not counting heat index. Not trying to be a bitch, but.... well.... maybe I am. Lol.

All this while running a Vltor A5H4 bigger with a tubbs AR10 flat wire action spring and an LMT e-carrier. Locked back on federal 100 round .223 value pack .55 grain (in the maroon box, at Wally world).

Recoil pulse was very soft. Having the significant weight reduction at the front of the gun was very welcome and easily noticeable. The EFAB provides a lot of stability.

It's just as easy to control as the heavier setup I replaced.

tommyrott
06-22-15, 18:59
how did the recoil pulse feel with gas block wide open?

BufordTJustice
06-22-15, 19:43
how did the recoil pulse feel with gas block wide open?
Still very soft. Also, I think concerns over the size of the gas port have been officially put to rest.

wegner426
06-22-15, 20:01
Did you get any feel for the accuracy potential? I see you just had a T1 on it but still curious if you got a feel for it or if you tried any 69 or 77 grain match ammo?
Would be curious to see what accuracy could be wrung out of these lightweight barrels.

BufordTJustice
06-22-15, 20:45
Did you get any feel for the accuracy potential? I see you just had a T1 on it but still curious if you got a feel for it or if you tried any 69 or 77 grain match ammo?
Would be curious to see what accuracy could be wrung out of these lightweight barrels.
Well, I only took it out to 50 meters for my 50/200 zero. Did irons and aimpoint. I ran Federal xm193 and the above listed .223. For whatever it's worth it shot slightly better than the Rainier Arms 18" Mountain Series it is replacing, but that's using crap ammo from a magazine monopod in the dirt while prone.

Consistently inside an inch at 50. I drew a black square 1" in size and three strings of three shots only had one outside the square. Though, nothing I've yet done could be even loosely construed to constitute an evaluation of the barrel's precision or accuracy.

FaxonNathan
06-22-15, 20:47
Well, I only took it out to 50 meters for my 50/200 zero. Did irons and aimpoint. I ran Federal xm193 and the above listed .223. For whatever it's worth it shot slightly better than the Rainier Arms 18" Mountain Series it is replacing, but that's using crap ammo from a magazine monopod in the dirt while prone.

Consistently inside an inch at 50. I drew a black square 1" in size and three strings of three shots only had one outside the square. Though, nothing I've yet done could be even loosely construed to constitute an evaluation of the barrel's precision or accuracy.

We'll take that. ;)

BufordTJustice
06-22-15, 21:05
We'll take that. ;)
I'm certainly pleased with it. I think the 1:8 twist is helping with these light and fast bullets too. Excited to get some 70 grain Hornady GMX TAP in full 5.56 pressure to see what that'll do. That's my bedside SD/HD load. Federal .223 62gr TBBC is my duty load. It's not known for its accuracy potential though.

misfit47
06-22-15, 21:38
Thanks for the feedback so far. Would you mind shooting some 5 to 10 rd groups next time though please? 3 rd groups are for writers pushing to sell products....

BufordTJustice
06-23-15, 05:28
Thanks for the feedback so far. Would you mind shooting some 5 to 10 rd groups next time though please? 3 rd groups are for writers pushing to sell products....
See my previous disclaimer:

"Though, nothing I've yet done could be even loosely construed to constitute an evaluation of the barrel's precision or accuracy."

-Me

Junkie
06-23-15, 08:37
Thanks for the feedback so far. Would you mind shooting some 5 to 10 rd groups next time though please? 3 rd groups are for writers pushing to sell products....3 3rd groups at the same square is pretty much a 9rd group.

misfit47
06-24-15, 07:08
I'm mainly concerned with how the tube reacts to the heat of a longer shoot string is all. Wasn't trying to offend. I guess it doesn't make a hill of beans either way because light guns aren't really for static shooting anyway.

BufordTJustice
06-24-15, 07:19
I'm mainly concerned with how the tube reacts to the heat of a longer shoot string is all. Wasn't trying to offend. I guess it doesn't make a hill of beans either way because light guns aren't really for static shooting anyway.
Well, I ran two 30 mags through it as fast as I could accurately yank my SSA-E at 25 yards after getting my irons sighted in. The barrel was literally smoking and I had to glove-up.... And then it was still uncomfortable. I ended up gripping the mag afterward.

I then went prone again and my 50 yard groups were still under 1.5 inches.

All this while the all-black gun was in the hot Florida sun the entire time.

At that point, it was well over 100 degrees in the pit, over 80% humidity, no shade, and no breeze..... so I was having difficulty keeping my heart rate low. I expected the barrel to do much worse, actually.

misfit47
06-24-15, 07:28
Man that's plenty accurate for most folks needs, mine included. Thank you.

FaxonNathan
06-24-15, 08:54
Man that's plenty accurate for most folks needs, mine included. Thank you.

We have (of course) done internal testing. Looking forward to seeing what it does with a magnified optic attached!

BufordTJustice
06-24-15, 15:04
We have (of course) done internal testing. Looking forward to seeing what it does with a magnified optic attached!
Well, I have bad news: I don't currently own a magnified optic. However, I'll do some real rested shooting in the future.

How did you guys find the throat held up with the QPQ treatment versus chrome lining during rapid fire?

FaxonNathan
06-24-15, 15:06
Well, I have bad news: I don't currently own a magnified optic. However, I'll do some real rested shooting in the future.

How did you guys find the throat held up with the QPQ treatment versus chrome lining during rapid fire?

Rapid- Fantastic.

Full-Auto Cyclic- About equal.

BufordTJustice
06-24-15, 19:07
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/24/576bd29368fa91ce80af29e7c2ee84c9.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/24/27bed9b0595dfd09039015e928945ca0.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/24/73b84d111a136ec3456ba7051dee8911.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/24/4a2ce452fed8f2270a980b37d9c494a6.jpg

BufordTJustice
06-24-15, 19:09
Rapid- Fantastic.

Full-Auto Cyclic- About equal.
That's good to know. Thank you.

Do you guys lap there bore prior to the QPQ process?

JasonDTM
06-24-15, 23:02
Thanks for the update, I'm peanut butter and jealous. :D

FaxonNathan
06-25-15, 08:35
That's good to know. Thank you.

Do you guys lap there bore prior to the QPQ process?

No, but we do fully clean it prior to the process.

Hand-lapping is very time and labor intensive. We do it for OEMs who sell our barrels, but not under the Faxon brand on the retail side.

BufordTJustice
06-25-15, 09:50
No, but we do fully clean it prior to the process.

Hand-lapping is very time and labor intensive. We do it for OEMs who sell our barrels, but not under the Faxon brand on the retail side.
Gotcha. Don't get me wrong, the bore looks great. I was just curious.

I honestly don't know how you guys can offer these barrels at these prices. Ridiculous value so far.

FaxonNathan
06-25-15, 09:54
Ridiculous value so far.

That is the objective!

Clint
07-03-15, 00:28
And despite it having a ~.081 gas port, I still adjusted the Ti Sentry 6 gas block down by between 4 and 6 notches out of the 15 total positions. That's 1.33 to 2 full revolutions of closure.
All this while running a Vltor A5H4 buffer with a tubbs AR10 flat wire action spring and an LMT e-carrier. Locked back on federal 100 round .223 value pack .55 grain (in the maroon box, at Wally world).

Recoil pulse was very soft. Having the significant weight reduction at the front of the gun was very welcome and easily noticeable. The EFAB provides a lot of stability.

We just received the first batch of Faxon barrels and will have them up in time for the holiday.

These barrels do feel light in the hand compared to most other profiles.

The 18" rifle has an .093" gas port, which seems to be on the lighter side with gas drive.

I bet the EFAB adds some "back pressure", making it run more like a 20".

Junkie
07-03-15, 01:51
Are you planning any lightweight 308 barrels?

BufordTJustice
07-03-15, 07:51
We just received the first batch of Faxon barrels and will have them up in time for the holiday.

The 18" rifle has an .093" gas port, which seems to be on the lighter side with gas drive.

Hey Clint!

I have A/B'd the EFAB with an A2 and the back pressure it adds is less than a single click's worth on my SLR gas block.

It seems they increased the gas port size slightly on your batch.

I'm impressed with how light they feel. Finish is good, as well as the muzzle crown.

jerrysimons
07-04-15, 09:16
Nice work BTJ! That is a slick boom stick you got!

BTW, is not the SLR Rifleworks Ti AGB the cats meow? Did you pick up V7s Titanium KMR clamp blocks too (saves .15oz).

BufordTJustice
07-04-15, 09:53
Nice work BTJ! That is a slick boom stick you got!

BTW, is not the SLR Rifleworks Ti AGB the cats meow? Did you pick up V7s Titanium KMR clamp blocks too (saves .15oz).

Thank you, sir!

I'm loving the Ti SLR Sentry 6 even more than I loved their Sentry 7 in 4140 nitride. It's just an excellent piece.

I didn't do the KMR Ti clamp blocks from V7 yet. But I can retrofit those later. I did V7's Ti KMR barrel nut though. It's a masterpiece of machining. Basically half the weight of a std barrel nut.

The clamp blocks are next.

There's no other way to reduce weight while INCREASING reliability. These are the good ole days.

BufordTJustice
07-04-15, 09:55

Clint, I just saw your email. Excellent prices on those Faxon barrels!

Clint
07-04-15, 19:50
Clint, I just saw your email. Excellent prices on those Faxon barrels!

Yes, I don't expect these to stay in stock long!

SomeOtherGuy
07-04-15, 23:33
Nathan, Clint or anyone else knowledgeable - how would these barrels work with a sound suppressor attached? I am specifically wondering if POI shift with/without the can will be noticeably more than with heavier profile barrels, and if the .5" diameter forward of the gas block would allow enough flexibility for weird things to happen with the weight of a can attached. (I am not experienced with suppressors, so apologize if this is a dumb question.)

If you pick the gas block option for the Faxon barrels you're selling, is that for Faxon's gas block or the BRT? Both are quality, I just wondered. And is the gas block pinned, or is that an option, if you buy a barrel with gas block?

Clint
07-04-15, 23:46
Nathan, Clint or anyone else knowledgeable - how would these barrels work with a sound suppressor attached? I am specifically wondering if POI shift with/without the can will be noticeably more than with heavier profile barrels, and if the .5" diameter forward of the gas block would allow enough flexibility for weird things to happen with the weight of a can attached. (I am not experienced with suppressors, so apologize if this is a dumb question.)

If you pick the gas block option for the Faxon barrels you're selling, is that for Faxon's gas block or the BRT? Both are quality, I just wondered. And is the gas block pinned, or is that an option, if you buy a barrel with gas block?

I haven't tried them with a suppressor, but since this is the thinnest profile I'm aware of, use your own judgement.

Right now the gas block option is the Faxon set screw block, which doesn't have an option to readily pin it.

We are working on a .625 version of the MicroPin Gas Block and will probably offer pinning as an option when that comes together.

BufordTJustice
07-05-15, 19:56

I think that the Gunner profile will be more likely to be affected by a suppressor than, say, BCM's new enhanced medium weight barrel or a true HBAR.

FaxonNathan
07-05-15, 20:10
I think that the Gunner profile will be more likely to be affected by a suppressor than, say, BCM's new enhanced medium weight barrel or a true HBAR.

It will be nearly identical to that profile, as POI shift is largely determined by two factors, all things being equal.

1. The thinnest portion of the barrel.
2. How hot the thinnest portion gets.

As the Gunner is Gov't profile behind the gas block, it will perform largely as any government barrel would. Since the thinnest portion is up front, heat droop is not as prevalent as a pencil.

BufordTJustice
07-06-15, 10:02
It will be nearly identical to that profile, as POI shift is largely determined by two factors, all things being equal.

1. The thinnest portion of the barrel.
2. How hot the thinnest portion gets.

As the Gunner is Gov't profile behind the gas block, it will perform largely as any government barrel would. Since the thinnest portion is up front, heat droop is not as prevalent as a pencil.
Thanks Nate. Good point, as the hottest point of the barrel is near the chamber, and again right around the gas block (with the gas block supporting that portion of the barrel).

BufordTJustice
07-06-15, 14:24
Just ran it through my agency qual, a modified Navy Qual. The lighter weight makes the rifle truly handy, but shootability is unaffected at real world rates of fire for a patrol rifle.

I'm very pleased, indeed.

Also, ambient temp on the range proper (inside the berms) was over 105F with minimal shade... about enough to hide your range bag in the shade on the edges of the berm. Ammo was Federal xm193 in brown boxes (plastic dividers, no stripper clips), also sitting in the sun for over an hour. Had to leave the rifle grounded in the sun for several minutes prior to beginning the courses of fire (one for optics, one for irons).

It had everybody, including me, reaching for their gloves.

Obviously, full pressure ammunition in elevated temps is no issue for this barrel. If the chamber had been cut even slightly small, this would likely have revealed any issues.

FaxonNathan
07-06-15, 14:27
Just ran it through my agency qual, a modified Navy Qual. The lighter weight makes the rifle truly handy, but shootability is unaffected at real world rates of fire for a patrol rifle.

I'm very pleased, indeed.

Also, ambient temp on the range proper (inside the berms) was over 105F with minimal shade... about enough to hide your range bag in the shade on the edges of the berm. Ammo was Federal xm193 in brown boxes (plastic dividers, no stripper clips), also sitting in the sun for over an hour. Had to leave the rifle grounded in the sun for several minutes prior to beginning the courses of fire (one for optics, one for irons).

It had everybody, including me, reaching for their gloves.

Obviously, full pressure ammunition in elevated temps is no issue for this barrel. If the chamber had been cut even slightly small, this would likely have revealed any issues.

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

BillyJack556
09-02-15, 11:29
Just ordered my 18" Gunner.
Only 5 left as of now, get them while you can!

TaterTot
09-06-15, 12:13
Any possibility of these ever being made in 6.5 grendel?

Do you even gun bro?

FaxonNathan
09-06-15, 18:13
Any possibility of these ever being made in 6.5 grendel?

Do you even gun bro?

When we have 6.5 Grendel in full production, yes. Up first in that arena will be Fluted and Flame barrels, though.

henschman
09-06-15, 22:43
Looks like a great line of barrels. I'm pretty interested in a 20" Gunner profile for an SPR/DMR-ish rifle. The only thing holding me back is the short gas block journal these have, and the fact that I want to use a folding FSB on this rifle.

Anyway, I appreciate Faxon for being one of the only mfgs to make a 20" barrel in an A1-like profile with something faster than 1/9 twist. Criterion is the only other one who does, and I don't care for the "hybrid match" chamber they use... I'll stick with 5.56, thank you very much.

BillyJack556
09-07-15, 13:43
Nathan has stated the latest run of the 18" barrels will have a longer gas block journal and I'd guess the 20's will too. :)

FaxonNathan
09-07-15, 14:59
Nathan has stated the latest run of the 18" barrels will have a longer gas block journal and I'd guess the 20's will too. :)

That is correct. All GUNNER series of barrels are moving to the longer 1.9" gas journal.

Voodoochild
09-07-15, 15:12
Any chance you all do a 1/7 twist for your shorter barrels?

FaxonNathan
09-07-15, 15:13
Any chance you all do a 1/7 twist for your shorter barrels?

Sticking with 1/8, as our testing (and that of our customers) has shown the 1/8 is sufficient for all common loadings up to 80+ grains while providing excellent results with 55-grain and lighter pills.

SomeOtherGuy
09-07-15, 16:58
Sticking with 1/8, as our testing (and that of our customers) has shown the 1/8 is sufficient for all common loadings up to 80+ grains while providing excellent results with 55-grain and lighter pills.

I don't doubt this - but out of curiousity, do you happen to know the lowest temperatures at which common longer bullets (let's say Sierra 77gr MK, 77gr TMK, and Hornady 75gr BTHP) will stabilize at realistic velocities from the 18" and 20" barrels?

I seem to remember that the 1:7 rate was chosen for stability of the M856 tracer in Alaskan temps. I don't use M856 or live in Alaska, but do live in an area that can be -20 F. somewhat regularly in the winter. Just curious.

FaxonNathan
09-07-15, 17:00
I don't doubt this - but out of curiousity, do you happen to know the lowest temperatures at which common longer bullets (let's say Sierra 77gr MK, 77gr TMK, and Hornady 75gr BTHP) will stabilize at realistic velocities from the 18" and 20" barrels?

I seem to remember that the 1:7 rate was chosen for stability of the M856 tracer in Alaskan temps. I don't use M856 or live in Alaska, but do live in an area that can be -20 F. somewhat regularly in the winter. Just curious.

Off the top of my head, not sure, as I would need to look up the velocities of the rounds. If you know a source for this, please let me know and I will be happy to check!

SomeOtherGuy
09-07-15, 17:14
Off the top of my head, not sure, as I would need to look up the velocities of the rounds. If you know a source for this, please let me know and I will be happy to check!

As purely off the cuff numbers let's say 2750 fps for the Sierra 77's or the Hornady 75. If it's easy to check at multiple velocities I would do 50fps increments from 2900 down to 2500. I'm just wondering if 1:8 would ever be inadequate at a temperature I would willingly be outside.

FaxonNathan
09-07-15, 17:29
As purely off the cuff numbers let's say 2750 fps for the Sierra 77's or the Hornady 75. If it's easy to check at multiple velocities I would do 50fps increments from 2900 down to 2500. I'm just wondering if 1:8 would ever be inadequate at a temperature I would willingly be outside.

You should be good to go so long as you are above roughly 1750, which would be a 7" barrel under extreme conditions.

Rmplstlskn
02-14-16, 11:10
Good info in this thread... Helped sway me to the 18" Gunner I just got from AIM Surplus, mainly because they were the only one I found who already had a PINNED gas block installed, saving me the drilling hassle. Will be my first QPQ barrel after decades of being a CHROME believer...

Next on the "when funds allow" agenda, a Mega MML upper, unless I discover something better. Really like the concept and proven science of taking the handguard off the barrel nut and onto the receiver... Plus, sweetness of beauty and purpose... :-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/Red_Sc/Gunsmithing/Mega%206SLR/18%20Receivers.jpg

Rmpl

FaxonNathan
04-05-16, 14:39
Good info in this thread... Helped sway me to the 18" Gunner I just got from AIM Surplus, mainly because they were the only one I found who already had a PINNED gas block installed, saving me the drilling hassle. Will be my first QPQ barrel after decades of being a CHROME believer...

Next on the "when funds allow" agenda, a Mega MML upper, unless I discover something better. Really like the concept and proven science of taking the handguard off the barrel nut and onto the receiver... Plus, sweetness of beauty and purpose... :-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/Red_Sc/Gunsmithing/Mega%206SLR/18%20Receivers.jpg

Rmpl

Good looking weapons! How did the build go!

BrigandTwoFour
08-01-16, 12:50
Bringing this one back up for a minute...

I've been preparing to purchase one of these 18" gunners for a KISS iron sight field rifle project. Has anyone had luck with pinning a .625 FSB on one of these? Am I crazy for even considering going that route instead of a standard pinned low-profile option?

FaxonNathan
08-01-16, 12:52
Yes! Quite a few customers have gone this route. The gas block journal length is 1.9" just for the addition of FSBs!

Awake
08-01-16, 12:53
Yes, I used the V7 pin on .625 titanium block. I gave my gunsmith a cobalt bit and it was done in a few minutes. Did it in a 16" gunner but will do it again on a new 18".

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Awake
08-01-16, 12:55
Disregard previous, I realize you mean an A2 FSB. Would love to see pictures when your finished.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

BufordTJustice
08-26-16, 23:38
Yes! Quite a few customers have gone this route. The gas block journal length is 1.9" just for the addition of FSBs!
Nate, still no dimple opposite the gas port, correct?

Just checking.

EDIT: my 18" gunner continues to be an uber soft shooter. :)

FaxonNathan
08-27-16, 16:29
Nope. No dimples, here.

BrigandTwoFour
08-27-16, 19:09
I finished up the lower for this project today. I plan on picking up the 18" gunner next month when my shooting gear budget is refreshed. Is there a list out there of shops that will pin a FSB on a melonited/QPQ barrel?

Apparently ADCO won't do it (they have been my go to for projects like this).

TomMcC
08-27-16, 21:23
I finished up the lower for this project today. I plan on picking up the 18" gunner next month when my shooting gear budget is refreshed. Is there a list out there of shops that will pin a FSB on a melonited/QPQ barrel?

Apparently ADCO won't do it (they have been my go to for projects like this).

Aimsurplus sells the 18" Gunner with a pinned LoPro gas block from Faxon. The gas block is one of the most compact ones I've ever seen. Aim is where I got mine.

BrigandTwoFour
08-27-16, 22:32
Aimsurplus sells the 18" Gunner with a pinned LoPro gas block from Faxon. The gas block is one of the most compact ones I've ever seen. Aim is where I got mine.

I did see that, but I'm actually looking to have a full F-marked triangle FSB pinned.

TomMcC
08-27-16, 22:48
Oh. Sorry I missed that.

BrigandTwoFour
09-04-16, 19:14
Nathan,

I just ordered up a 18" Gunner from Brownells and then realized afterwards that their site still talks about the older gen shorter journal length. Do you happen to know if your latest run with the 1.9" journals made it to Brownells? I'm planning on using a FSP for this one. I will try and cancel my order with them and buy one directly from you guys if I need to.

vvhiskey
09-05-16, 14:13
What kind of accuracy are you all getting with this barrel? Can someone post up pictures of some groups on paper?

TomMcC
09-05-16, 20:25
What kind of accuracy are you all getting with this barrel? Can someone post up pictures of some groups on paper?

I don't have pictures, and I haven't done testing even close to a Molon write up, but with Wolf Gold 55 gr FMJ-BT (the round I use all the time in 3gun) I averaged 2-2.25 inches at a 100 yd (5 rd groups). Sometimes I have achieved 1.5-1.75 in. So the range has been about 1.5 in to about 2.5".

FaxonNathan
09-06-16, 07:06
Nathan,

I just ordered up a 18" Gunner from Brownells and then realized afterwards that their site still talks about the older gen shorter journal length. Do you happen to know if your latest run with the 1.9" journals made it to Brownells? I'm planning on using a FSP for this one. I will try and cancel my order with them and buy one directly from you guys if I need to.

Yes, the transition was nearly a year ago. We'll touch base with Brownells to get their site updated.

Thanks!

FaxonNathan
09-06-16, 07:07

http://ar15hunter.com/faxon-firearms-18-gunner-5-56-qpq-barrel-review-hunt-report/

BrigandTwoFour
09-24-16, 12:55
Just received my 18" Gunner. Initial impression is that it is quite nice. I'm really digging the profile. The machine work looks very nice, and I can't wait to get it all mounted up. That's still going to be a bit, since I need to have an FSB taper pinned.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/img_0925.jpg

EDIT:

Did a quick mockup with some spare upper parts laying around just to get a feel for the handling/balance. So far, I am very happy. This is one nice handling barrel.

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/img_0926.jpg

The final project will end up looking more like this (another mockup done on Gunstruction):

https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/bcfilg06wwtaaaaaelftksuqmcc.png

FaxonNathan
09-26-16, 13:21
Liking what we see. Cool build!

LaserTag
09-26-16, 18:24
Liking what we see. Cool build!

How many combat accurate rounds can one expect from your 416r flame fluted barrel with a standard rate of fire? I just picked up an 18" with a rifle length gas tube. Also picked up your 3 screw gas block. Should I dimple the barrel?

FaxonNathan
09-27-16, 07:39
How many combat accurate rounds can one expect from your 416r flame fluted barrel with a standard rate of fire? I just picked up an 18" with a rifle length gas tube. Also picked up your 3 screw gas block. Should I dimple the barrel?

Generally speaking, we don't answer that question, as it makes too many assumptions on what constitutes "combat accuracy". There are an incredible amount of variables that go into that statement such as:
-What is the rate of fire? Full auto? Slow-Fire? How many rounds?
-What is the ammunition?
-What is the shooter's capability?
-Ambient temperature?
-What was the rifles base accuracy?
Etc. Etc.

As such, we typically only make a general statement, which is the barrel is typically more capable than the shooter over prolonged strings.

We do not recommend dimpling a barrel.

LaserTag
09-27-16, 11:26
Generally speaking, we don't answer that question, as it makes too many assumptions on what constitutes "combat accuracy". There are an incredible amount of variables that go into that statement such as:
-What is the rate of fire? Full auto? Slow-Fire? How many rounds?
-What is the ammunition?
-What is the shooter's capability?
-Ambient temperature?
-What was the rifles base accuracy?
Etc. Etc.

As such, we typically only make a general statement, which is the barrel is typically more capable than the shooter over prolonged strings.

Soooo 10,000+?

FaxonNathan
09-27-16, 12:17
Soooo 10,000+?

We apologize for being so direct on the topic, but please see previous questions.

For example, 700 rounds full-auto with only time to reload will significantly reduce barrel life. Slow-fire like bench rest will significantly extend it. As an example, the new M855A1 is wearing barrels in 4-5,000 rounds in an M4 and that is considered "acceptable" by the US Military due to their ammo and firing cycles.

Our barrels are the same 4150 GBQ Mil-Spec steel as what is delivered to the military. They are further nitrided to increase barrel life. As such, its easy for us to say that they will last as long as any other high-quality barrel, but to give something a specific number is just a marketing gimmick with huge amount of asterisks behind it.

We'd much rather give the full honest answer, even if that answer is not specific given the variables.

Coal Dragger
09-27-16, 12:41
Thanks for the reply I've been lurking in here.

If I can ask the same question with more specifics maybe you can give an estimate on barrel life.

I'm curious about the practical barrel life difference between two 4150 GBQ military grade steel barrels, one chrome lined bore and chamber the other salt bath nitrided. This is for a user who will be doing basic rifle marksmanship slow fire work at distances out to 500 yards, as well as close in rapid fire drills or other faster shooting stages. I won't be doing mindless magazine dumps or running full auto to make expensive noise.

Further I won't be using any M855A1 or copper washed steel jacket ammo. Only copper jacketed ammo, mostly 55gr FMJ, 55gr Nosler BT's, and 69gr or 77gr Matchkings. No powder puff loads, but I also don't try to hot rod my loads either. Typically using a double based ball powder like CFE 223.

Any input you feel you can ethically and credibly relate based on that info will be appreciated.

FaxonNathan
09-27-16, 15:09
Thanks for the reply I've been lurking in here.

If I can ask the same question with more specifics maybe you can give an estimate on barrel life.

I'm curious about the practical barrel life difference between two 4150 GBQ military grade steel barrels, one chrome lined bore and chamber the other salt bath nitrided. This is for a user who will be doing basic rifle marksmanship slow fire work at distances out to 500 yards, as well as close in rapid fire drills or other faster shooting stages. I won't be doing mindless magazine dumps or running full auto to make expensive noise.

Further I won't be using any M855A1 or copper washed steel jacket ammo. Only copper jacketed ammo, mostly 55gr FMJ, 55gr Nosler BT's, and 69gr or 77gr Matchkings. No powder puff loads, but I also don't try to hot rod my loads either. Typically using a double based ball powder like CFE 223.

Any input you feel you can ethically and credibly relate based on that info will be appreciated.

As a general rule (of which there are always exceptions), under semi-auto (even rapid semi auto), Nitride and Chrome are very similar in wear characteristics and longevity.

As such, the degradation in accuracy over the life of the barrel will be on par with any other high-quality barrel.

elephantrider
10-09-16, 02:47

A little late to the party here, but what is the reason for this?

Edit: Nevermind, I think I found the answer.

FaxonNathan
10-21-16, 07:14
A little late to the party here, but what is the reason for this?

Edit: Nevermind, I think I found the answer.

Apologies, as I missed the auto e-mail notification.

We have a detailed Blog answer!

http://faxonfirearms.com/blog/frequently-asked-questions-does-faxon-dimple-their-barrels/

RichinVA
10-21-16, 08:29
Apologies, as I missed the auto e-mail notification.

We have a detailed Blog answer!

http://faxonfirearms.com/blog/frequently-asked-questions-does-faxon-dimple-their-barrels/

so your block on your pencil barrel has a pin and set screws?

Thanks.

R

BrigandTwoFour
10-22-16, 16:25
https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/mockup.jpg

This project is almost in the bag...or in the safe. Whatever.

I ordered the wrong size triangular hand guard cap by mistake. I didn't check if the Colt one I purchased was for .750 or .625 barrels. I needed the latter, but ended up with the former. Not a big deal, since it's a $3 part and already ordered the correct one from BCM.

Once I have that, the upper is off to West Coast Armory for pinning the FSB and final assembly.

I am very happy with the mock up pictured above. I assembled all the parts without final torquing, and it handles beautifully. Balance is right at the rear of the magazine well. The Rainier Arms upper and lower receivers have the tightest fit I've ever seen, and the whole thing just feels solid. I expect this may be a new favorite.

TaterTot
10-22-16, 18:42
https://everydaymarksman.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/mockup.jpg

This project is almost in the bag...or in the safe. Whatever.

I ordered the wrong size triangular hand guard cap by mistake. I didn't check if the Colt one I purchased was for .750 or .625 barrels. I needed the latter, but ended up with the former. Not a big deal, since it's a $3 part and already ordered the correct one from BCM.

Once I have that, the upper is off to West Coast Armory for pinning the FSB and final assembly.

I am very happy with the mock up pictured above. I assembled all the parts without final torquing, and it handles beautifully. Balance is right at the rear of the magazine well. The Rainier Arms upper and lower receivers have the tightest fit I've ever seen, and the whole thing just feels solid. I expect this may be a new favorite.
I'm looking to build something like this. I wish Faxon offered pinned fsb options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

BrigandTwoFour
10-22-16, 19:15
I'm looking to build something like this. I wish Faxon offered pinned fsb options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

I would certainly be happy to pay a bit extra for a barrel that already had a pinned FSB. I understand the desire to keep prices [very] competitive by minimizing options, though. Having another shop do it as part of assembly also helps minimize the chance of the FSB being canted relative to the upper.

MelloYellow
12-10-16, 00:29
So to the OP:
How does this barrel group? parts this parts that, but haven't heard much about accuracy. So?

FaxonNathan
12-10-16, 09:15
so your block on your pencil barrel has a pin and set screws?

Thanks.

R

Yes and no. The "standard" gas block we offer directly to the public has three set screws. Offerings through AIM Surplus (who buys in large enough quantities to justify the pinning operation) have the pin/screw combo gas block.

I would certainly be happy to pay a bit extra for a barrel that already had a pinned FSB. I understand the desire to keep prices [very] competitive by minimizing options, though. Having another shop do it as part of assembly also helps minimize the chance of the FSB being canted relative to the upper.

That's exactly it. We will offer FSB pinning one day, but the issue is now the request to purcahse is too low to justify setting up a machine for the work.

Top Notch Top Ends installs the FSB on our barrels at a reasonable price and with good turn-around.

FarmallM
12-10-16, 19:48
can they install a set screw style fsb? I am interested in one of the flam fluted barrels to go on a psuedo SDM-R. Thank you, I really dig your company

FaxonNathan
12-11-16, 08:36
can they install a set screw style fsb? I am interested in one of the flam fluted barrels to go on a psuedo SDM-R. Thank you, I really dig your company

Yes, but if it's set screw, you can do it easily at home. We have a couple set screw versions at the shop for testing purposes.