PDA

View Full Version : Where's all the .22lr?

kymudder08
06-04-15, 15:35
Didn't see a rimfire forum so figured I'd stick it here.

I know there was a stupid shortage during the panic, and then it started to show back up (a lot actually) at reasonable prices. Now it seems to have disappeared again. Anyone know anything about what's goin on now? From what I understand, they're all at max capacity and cranking out all the can. My main problem is finding standard velocity .22 for use in my suppressor. Works just as well as subs, but still works in my semiautos that don't/can't suppress (tube guns). So what say you?

Kain
06-04-15, 15:42
Keep looking would be my advice. Saw a metric shit load the other weekend up at my Cabela's. The price was retarded high, compared to what it was the week prior, and no one was buying, but it was there. I have seen supply at my other usual gun stores wane a little, though I suspected that it was due to a few factors, one, people actually seeing it at reasonable prices and buying it again, and two the stores being between shipments/manufacturers being between runs.

bfoosh006
06-04-15, 22:25
Deleted

kymudder08
06-04-15, 22:53
I've been seeing a lot of the Geco .22lr in the bolt action and semi auto versions. The bolt action is similar to the cci standard velocity and cycles my 10/22 with or without a can. It also suppresses very well. Quality is on par with cci. My favorite is cci standard and then the geco. I'm not a fan of buying subsonic labeled .22 Bc of the typical higher price Bc of be label. Looking at specs, Remington subsonic is 1050 fps, cci standard is 1070, and geco bolt action is like 1080 or so. It all sounds the same with my SAS can and my buddies sparrow. I can find the high velocity stuff all day long, it's just the suppressable stuff is few and far between.

m1a_scoutguy
06-05-15, 00:06
I've actually been seeing it a fair amount around my area. I bought 1050 rds just last week,it was Remington Golden or something like that,,LOL It was $21.95 @ Walley World,,I could buy 3 but only bought 2 I figured I would leave some for the next guy. I saw some at another Local Sporting Goods store and they had a friggin bunch of it,,bricks were $35 but it was Standard Velocity so I passed, I like the HV stuff so it runs my GSG 1911 22. Gander MTN has some advertised for this weekend, but only 1 box per person. It appears to be coming back a little better around my area and seems to be fair priced , not like before, but decent. Time will tell I guess.

T2C
06-05-15, 06:42
The only .22lr we have been seeing in our area is Federal Auto Match. HV ammunition is still scarce.

Bimmer
06-05-15, 12:30
My main problem is finding standard velocity .22 for use in my suppressor.

Search the internet. If you know what manufacturer and what load, then google that and comb through the results.

Example: My old Marlin 25 loves CCI's 40gr subsonic .22lr. I just bought 1,000 rounds of it. I had to pay $11/100, but i'm afraid that's the new normal...

m1a_scoutguy
06-05-15, 12:57
Search the internet. If you know what manufacturer and what load, then google that and comb through the results.

Example: My old Marlin 25 loves CCI's 40gr subsonic .22lr. I just bought 1,000 rounds of it. I had to pay $11/100, but i'm afraid that's the new normal...

Yea it is sad but that seems to be the NEW normal,jacked up prices. Like I said it really is hit & miss around here. I can go over to Bass Pro and get 100 rd sleeve just about any day of the week for around $8 bucks,but not worth the close to 20 mile drive for 1 box. Most local to me places (under 2 miles) normally have 22 every week or every other at the least with Walley World being $22 bucks for a brick and the other place normally around $30 plus. I'm real selective needing the HV stuff so I pass up more than I buy,but its at least around if I really need it,which I normally don't because I have a good stash from years ago before the craze,but its nice to replenish when I can.

texasgunhand
06-05-15, 13:54
Bought a brick of 8 boxes for 26 bucks at cabelas yesterday. Whats that 3 something a box? It was 20 a box not to long ago,highest ill pay is 6. Last brick of 500 i bought years ago has a 19.99 price tag on it. Iam seeing boxes iam buying for 17.99 at 70.00 on the internet still. People are hoarding it still, and as the elections come around it will disappear again.

The prices aernt going down for a long time and shortages will continue becouse of this. You cant buy enough to last a lifetime unless you stop shooing it and are willing to spend a bunch of money. Just buy what you can,leave some in reserves and go shoot. Maybe praying an anti gunner doesnt get into office. Join the NRA and by making your voice heard by useing your vote.

mgrs
06-05-15, 16:02
The only .22lr we have been seeing in our area is Federal Auto Match. HV ammunition is still scarce.

Federal AM is good stuff. Tends to work in semis far better than the other bulk packs.

Sean from Vt
06-06-15, 05:45
What little we are seeing locally in Vt is standard velocity.

Quality of all 22 ammo is in the tank as far as I can see. It's sad when you can load and shoot 45 cheaper. I won't pay $65-70 for 500. I've been looking at my 22s figuring out which ones to keep and which I might sell off. If you can't feed them no point in having them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pilot1
06-06-15, 06:33
What little we are seeing locally in Vt is standard velocity.

Quality of all 22 ammo is in the tank as far as I can see. It's sad when you can load and shoot 45 cheaper. I won't pay $65-70 for 500. I've been looking at my 22s figuring out which ones to keep and which I might sell off. If you can't feed them no point in having them.

I am not at the point of selling mine yet, but I don't shoot them nearly as much as the center fire I reload. I am not an ammo hoarder, nor will I pay exorbitant prices, so I buy it when I can at decent prices which isn't getting me much at all. I keep thinking, at some point the manufacturers will catch up with demand, but I am not seeing that yet.

Tigereye
06-06-15, 08:07
CCI mini mags show up at Gander Mtn. The last ones I got a week ago were .08/round.

Sean from Vt
06-06-15, 08:18
I guess I get frustrated with the hoarders. I have not seen 22 at Wal mart in 2 years. I know it's going to a select few buddies of the gun counter guy. If I make a 3 hr drive from my house I MAY be able to buy 325-500 rds for $25-30.

The local gun shops are buying 500 rd bricks and selling 50 rd baggies for $10 or more

Bimmer
06-06-15, 08:34
Last brick of 500 i bought years ago has a 19.99 price tag on it...

This is me, too. Back in 2009 and 2010 I bought several thousand rounds of .22lr... a half dozen "bricks." I'm only halfway through it.

TomD
06-06-15, 09:15
If Federal Auto Match were available, I would be in 7th heaven! Probably the best .22 ammo I've ever used.

mig1nc
06-06-15, 09:47
The only thing I'm seeing locally in the capitol area of north Carolina is small packs of match ammo. No bulk packs at all. The expensive stuff is easy to find though.

Bluto
06-06-15, 11:42
I was going through/trashing old receipts yesterday and found a receipt from SGammo dated 11/30/2012. It was for 2x 5,000 round cases (remember full cases?) of CCI standard. Total delivered cost was $520.00. I don't see those prices coming back any time soon.

kymudder08
06-06-15, 11:44
I can buy the expensive $20 a box of 50 stuff all day long, but if I'm spending that kinda money I'll shoot my centerfire stuff lol. The geco is more expensive than I prefer at $6-7 a box but that's not too bad I guess. Nobody know what it is so its always there. I did find a few 500rd bulk packs for $40ea but they weren't suppressable. Damn cans got me all messed up. I used to not care Bc it didn't matter, not anymore!

texasgunhand
06-06-15, 20:12
Kymudder, thats no joke,who would have thought centerfire would be cheaper?
My local academy has 6 buck a box aguila, but also 20 buck a box fed. match also. I can 1 hole 10 rd groups with the aguila not sure why i would buy the $20 a box match ?Hard to beat a 1 hole group.lol The $20 a box has been sitting for months. I bought a brick of automatch there for 17.99 looked on line it was from 35 to 70 jeeze.

I dont know if this helps but cabelas here has standerd velocity cci for 5.99. Do you have a cabelas near you? They seem to have it almost all the time. I just bought a brick of 400 American eagle hollow point .22 for 26 bucks,but i think the price was higher becouse instead of loose it feels like 8 boxes in a big box. My old Winchester 290 feeds anything standered, high velocity,longs and shorts.

Iam thinking of buying a ruger American bolt action to drag out the shooting you can go through a lot of ammo fast with an semi automatic. But iam actually scared to buy it becouse iam thinking ammo will stay scarce for many more years to come,i hope iam wrong.

When you can buy AE 5.56 for the same price of .22 thats bad,of course you only get 20 rds instead of 50 but with the .223 you can harvest large and small game or defend yourself in a SHTF situation.

texasgunhand
06-06-15, 20:23
This is me, too. Back in 2009 and 2010 I bought several thousand rounds of .22lr... a half dozen "bricks." I'm only halfway through it.

Lol... thats about how old that brick is i have,actually a 500rd brick instead of 3 or 400 rd. Wish i would have seen this coming i would have bought a bunch more. I remember thinking damn 20 bucks is a little high.. I new troubles were coming when a guy offered me 150 bucks for it a few yeas ago...

Kain
06-06-15, 20:45
Lol... thats about how old that brick is i have,actually a 500rd brick instead of 3 or 400 rd. Wish i would have seen this coming i would have bought a bunch more. I remember thinking damn 20 bucks is a little high.. I new troubles were coming when a guy offered me 150 bucks for it a few yeas ago...

Meh, the 400 round AE .22 HP bricks were around back in 2012. I know because I bought a few. Now the 222 Winchester boxes are news to me. Been seeing them at Cabela's.

Would like to know what Fed Match you guys are seeing at $20 a box of 50 though. One of my local gun shops has been having Federal Gold Metal Target or Match, can't recall for $40 a brick of 500. Have stocked more than a couple because it was the cheapest .22lr I had seen in a while and beat out the Federal Auto Match that was $35 for 350 rounds or whatever it was. Was never really impressed with the Auto Match out of any of my .22 rifles. Groups weren't bad, and ignition was better than a run of Rem Thunderbolt that I had, but they weren't the Holy Shit that is tight, maybe a little tighter in some of the guns, but not notable enough out of my target .22s for me to care.

Sean from Vt
06-06-15, 20:49
I think it would be interesting in this thread if people gave a general location of where they are. I know most (all?) of New England is hurting for 22. I travel quite a bit of Northern New England (Maine, NH, & VT) regularly.

What I find interesting is that Canada does not seem to be having this issue with 22 ammo.

Kain
06-06-15, 20:57
I think it would be interesting in this thread if people gave a general location of where they are. I know most (all?) of New England is hurting for 22. I travel quite a bit of Northern New England (Maine, NH, & VT) regularly.

What I find interesting is that Canada does not seem to be having this issue with 22 ammo.

Come to PA much? I can hook you up(Probably) if you are in the Allentown to Harrisburg area. The Cabela's in PA has .22 coming out nose, though priced out the ass, as of last time I was there. There are some local shops, some that do more than just steady business, who have had plenty as well at decent prices.

texasgunhand
06-07-15, 12:31
Meh, the 400 round AE .22 HP bricks were around back in 2012. I know because I bought a few. Now the 222 Winchester boxes are news to me. Been seeing them at Cabela's.

Would like to know what Fed Match you guys are seeing at $20 a box of 50 though. One of my local gun shops has been having Federal Gold Metal Target or Match, can't recall for $40 a brick of 500. Have stocked more than a couple because it was the cheapest .22lr I had seen in a while and beat out the Federal Auto Match that was $35 for 350 rounds or whatever it was. Was never really impressed with the Auto Match out of any of my .22 rifles. Groups weren't bad, and ignition was better than a run of Rem Thunderbolt that I had, but they weren't the Holy Shit that is tight, maybe a little tighter in some of the guns, but not notable enough out of my target .22s for me to care.

Next time i go to Academy i will look at what the expensive match ammo is pretty sure it was fed. brand at 19.99 a box it should be there they've had a 2 foot stack for months. Cabelas also had some 80 to 90 buck a brick match stuff,didnt look at it close,wasnt fed. or win. Some foreign made stuff.Will be awhile before i drive over there again.

Honda4828
06-07-15, 22:06
The walmarts around me get them regularly. Some times they get delivered later in the day, but they won't put them out until 7am. I just go in the evening and ask for a manager. I manage 3-6 bricks of 333 or 555pks of winchester in a month or two. In a nut shell, if their website shows in stock at 5pm or later, it's there you just need to have a manager find it.

Kain
06-07-15, 22:38
Next time i go to Academy i will look at what the expensive match ammo is pretty sure it was fed. brand at 19.99 a box it should be there they've had a 2 foot stack for months. Cabelas also had some 80 to 90 buck a brick match stuff,didnt look at it close,wasnt fed. or win. Some foreign made stuff.Will be awhile before i drive over there again.

Let me know. I would be quite interested if it is something special, or just something that has gotten marked up to hell and back for whatever reason. I mean, I know the stuff I was buying at my LGS was $10 more a brick at my local Cabela's, if you were allowed to buy a brick, since they had it broken down to 50 round boxes at $5 a box of 50.

texasgunhand
06-08-15, 21:21
That 20 buck a box .22 was, federal premium gold medal ,ultra match. 40gr solid.
I couldnt stand it had to go look...Really nice box , of 50.

FishTaco
06-08-15, 21:54
Saw that WM had CCI .22 shorts for 10 dollars a box and I was all over it until I realized they were boxes of 50. Not going to pay 9mm prices for .22 short.

As far as the why of the situation, it's all about the profiteering and hoarding combined with shooting sports becoming more popular and .22 semi-autos being more common IMO.

JusticeM4
06-09-15, 19:26
Where is it? The usual people who clean out big box stores are probably still buying every brick that comes in. Panic has been over for a while now, but only 22lr has not returned to the shelves.

Its been popping up here and there in LGS's around me, but still about $30-50/brick depending on count and type. Still none at Academy or Walmarts

texasgunhand
06-12-15, 10:53
I bought a bunch of shorts before the craze.Nobody wanted them then. I finally saw some the other day for the first time in years at Cabelas.

Here its kinda hit and miss,more hit these days at around 6 bucks a box average.

I also blame the problem on hording, but also when i can buy a brick of automatch for 17.95 then see it online for 70.00 and people are buying it i see why people are scalping it for the fast buck. As long as theres money involved like that people are going to continue to scalp it till they get stuck with it.

Theres still guys camping my local walmart to get it when they put it out so its gone by the evenings. I just pay the buck or so a box more at academy or cabelas and buy it there. Its not worth 2 bucks to my to drive into town to go to wallmart and see if they have any. Some wont, they drive back and forth,, all around ,,trying to save 2 bucks,when gas is still 2.60 a gallon. Theres no point saving 2 bucks on .22 but spending 2.60 on gas..

Spooky130
06-12-15, 20:48
Gander mountain just opened locally and they have tons of .22LR. Anywhere between $.07 and $.10/round.

Kain
06-12-15, 21:00
That 20 buck a box .22 was, federal premium gold medal ,ultra match. 40gr solid.
I couldnt stand it had to go look...Really nice box , of 50.

Thanks for the heads up, was curious. It is definitely not what I bought for $40 a brick, lol.

Anyway, went down to the local Cabela's here today, and they had three shelves filled with the shit. Two ends and their regular .22lr shelf spot and then some. .22 shorts, HV stuff, bunch of CCI, and some junk stuff and enough .22 Fed Auto match to stock up a few LGS for a week or more. I even took pictures of thes tuff to annoy a couple friends. Stuff was priced high though. But at least it was there and not flying out the door at that time.

Wake27
06-12-15, 22:18
There has been a massive amount at the stores I've gone to here, but since I left my .22 in VA I never pay attention to the prices. I'll have to check next time. Earlier today SGAmmo had a 2k case of Winchester for $179 I think. I thought about it and when I went back maybe 2-3 hours later it was all gone. I didn't think it would go that fast so I bought 1500 rounds of Aguila for a few cents more per round.

texasgunhand
06-12-15, 23:11
I love the HV aguila , works super for me,if it wasnt for the shortage i would have never tryed it. Now i shoot a bunch of it.

Yes that 20 buck a box .22 of. FED.gold medal ultra match might be the only .22 i would try at that price. Dont think my old .22 would gain much from it,but in a nice match gun i could see its purpose.

Its hard to get these old country boys to pay that,i dont think they have sold one box in months... The manager told me he would pull the 2 box limit and sell me as much as i wanted...I bet...lol