PDA

View Full Version : Scope mount ?

1gunsnotenough
06-06-15, 09:58
I have a PWS MKII and I am putting a Night Force ATACR on it. I have been more of a pistol shooter and iron sight shooter on my rifles. So have not done much scope mounting or shooting. But have been shooting for 40+ years. My question is should I use the Night Force rings or a Night Force Unimount. The long range rifle shooters where I shoot say to use the rings to get the most accuracy. How much of a difference in accuracy could I expect. Not wanting to shoot bullseye but I do want the most accuracy as possible. Really wanting to try it at 1000 yds. Also may transfer gun to Remington 700 5R in the future so want best mount for both, Also if rings which height rings should I use, Thanks

henschman
06-06-15, 12:25
If you want to use rings, you will need an extended riser to position the optic far enough forward for proper eye relief on that rifle. Incidentally that is how I mount scopes on my ARs. However, good one-piece mounts are machined to very exacting standards, and ring height and dimensions are extremely close. The Nightforce ones definitely qualify as good mounts. That would be the easy button for mounting a 34mm tubed scope on an AR, and there would be no qualitative difference between it and a good set of rings. It is basically a very well matched set of rings that is fused together and extended far enough forward for proper eye relief on an AR. The 1.44" high one would be just a hair higher than the height of most iron sights.

If it were me, I would probably look for some good 34mm rings that are a little lower than what NF offers, and put them on a 0.5" YHM extended picatinny riser, because I like my scopes mounted a little lower than 1.4" for proper cheek weld. I'm picky about stuff like the fundamentals of marksmanship. But the NF base does have the advantage of a 20 MOA cant.