PDA

View Full Version : American Pharoah wins the Triple Crown!!

jpmuscle
06-06-15, 17:59
The first in 37 years since Affirmed did it in 1978. So awesome to see history being made.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/american-pharoah-wins-the-triple-crown-190615384.html

ELMONT, N.Y. – American Pharoah accomplished one of the rare feats in sport Saturday, becoming the first horse in 37 years and just the 12th horse ever to win the Triple Crown.

The heavily favored colt completed the quest by running away from seven rivals in the Belmont Stakes, three weeks after a rain-soaked dash in the Preakness and five weeks after a gritty, stretch-duel victory in the Kentucky Derby.

American Pharoah's name now moves into the history books alongside equine immortals like Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Citation and War Admiral. And horse racing finally has the superstar it has hungered for – a fluid athlete with a massive stride who seems to float over the ground.

The last horse to win all three of North America's biggest races was Affirmed in 1978. Since then, 13 horses have come to this historic track having won the first two legs of the Crown. All had failed, raising doubts whether the quest was still attainable for the modern thoroughbred.

In front of a roaring crowd, American Pharoah eradicated those doubts in stirring fashion, going wire-to-wire at the Belmont, beating second-place finisher Frosted by 5½ lengths. Pharoah didn't break well from the gate, but it didn't matter. Jockey Victor Espinoza steered him to the lead, which he never relinquished.

As he came down the stretch, American Pharoah never slowed, widening his lead to win going away in a time of 2:26.65 – the quickest Belmont time since 1992.

The result gave triumphant closure to trainer Bob Baffert's 18-year quest to win the Triple Crown. Three times previously, he had won the Derby and Preakness only to encounter Belmont heartbreak. In 1997, his Silver Charm was passed in deep stretch. In '98, Real Quiet was nipped at the wire. And in 2002, front-running War Emblem stumbled leaving the gate and was never a factor.

Now the 62-year-old Californian finally has his Triple.

It also marked a breakthrough for the 43-year-old Espinoza in his third stab at winning the Triple Crown. Espinoza had been the rider on War Emblem, and on California Chrome last year. He is the first native of Mexico to win the Triple Crown.

And it was a triumph for American Pharoah's owner, Ahmed Zayat, who in less than a decade has become one of the most impactful owners in thoroughbred racing. The 52-year-old Egyptian immigrant had finished second in four Triple Crown races before this year – three times in the Derby (2009, '11 and '12) and once in the Belmont (‘12).

One of Zayat's Derby runner-ups, Pioneerof The Nile, is the sire of American Pharoah. The Zayat homebred established himself as a special horse very quickly.

American Pharoah finished fifth in his debut race as a 2-year-old last August, and has been simply brilliant ever since. This was his seventh straight victory at six different racetracks.

After dominating the competition in Arkansas in March and April, American Pharoah came to Kentucky as the Derby favorite. It took a vigorous ride by Espinoza to budge Pharoah past Firing Line and Dortmund in the stretch at Churchill Downs, but the colt showed his tenacity in winning the roses. He then came back two weeks later and obliterated the field in the Preakness, dancing over a sloppy track to set the stage for this history-making Belmont triumph.

Now he is a racing immortal. It took 37 years for a new horse to join the sport's most selective fraternity. American Pharoah is a worthy inclusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctss9h26IqY

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/3MTzScgMej6AAGgF26xekA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NQ--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/97bb2ea54933a719780f6a70670021eb.jpg

cwgibson
06-06-15, 18:28
It was a good race. I was born the year Affirmed won and I really did not know if I would ever get to see the triple crown won. I grew up around horses so I always enjoy watching these big races.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jpmuscle
06-06-15, 18:31
It was a good race. I was born the year Affirmed won and I really did not know if I would ever get to see the triple crown won. I grew up around horses so I always enjoy watching these big races.

Granted I'm younger but I had always wondered the same thing, IF I would ever get to see one. I'm happy to check something off my life's bucket list now.

markm
06-06-15, 18:37
I'm too skeptical of any big money "sporting" event anymore. The NFL is becoming a fukking joke... FIFA? The NBA's officiating has always been a comedy sketch. Maybe this thing isn't rigged, but there's so much money manipulation in every other sport, that I just tune it all out.

nimdabew
06-06-15, 18:49
That horse is going to screw his brains out until the day he dies. Or maybe one of those fake horse vaginas. Either way, not a bad life. Good for him.

SilverBullet432
06-06-15, 18:59
������ NICE

Voodoochild
06-06-15, 19:07
I'm too skeptical of any big money "sporting" event anymore. The NFL is becoming a fukking joke... FIFA? The NBA's officiating has always been a comedy sketch. Maybe this thing isn't rigged, but there's so much money manipulation in every other sport, that I just tune it all out.

Thanks for your input Debbie Downer.. Pretty amazing it took 37 years for another triple crown winner to happen. Wonder how long it will be until we see the next.

Plumber237
06-06-15, 20:01
Or maybe one of those fake horse vaginas.

I believe that's referred to as a "Horse Sock". Lol

jpmuscle
06-06-15, 20:02
Just for a bit of Nostalgia

Secretariat in 1973. Total domination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfCMtaNiMDM

Talon167
06-08-15, 19:14
That horse is going to screw his brains out until the day he dies. Or maybe one of those fake horse vaginas. Either way, not a bad life. Good for him.

$175k+ a pop...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source--american-pharoah-s-stud-fee-will-be-north-of--175-000-221826572.html

Voodoochild
06-08-15, 19:26
Talon167 the figure quoted is way low. More like 1.75 a shot. No way a triple crown winner first in 37 years is only going to get 175k a pop. They might as well give it away at that price.

kwelz
06-08-15, 23:36
Just for a bit of Nostalgia

Secretariat in 1973. Total domination.

Man I love watching that race. The pure domination is kind of inspiring. Growing up in the Louisville Metro area, horse racing is kind of a big deal.

Secretariat was a descendant of Eclipse. One of the greatest sires of all time. He was completely undefeated, and after his death they found out his heart was something like 15 lbs, which was double the size of a normal horse. Secretariat also had an abnormally large heart it turns out so it is thought to be a recessive genetic trait.

American Pharoah is an amazing horse with a great lineage. However to put it into perspective he would have lost to Secretariat by about 35 yards!

And yes. He is going to have a life of getting his freak on for the next 20 years. Not a bad way to retire in my book.

jpmuscle
06-09-15, 16:31
Man I love watching that race. The pure domination is kind of inspiring. Growing up in the Louisville Metro area, horse racing is kind of a big deal.

Secretariat was a descendant of Eclipse. One of the greatest sires of all time. He was completely undefeated, and after his death they found out his heart was something like 15 lbs, which was double the size of a normal horse. Secretariat also had an abnormally large heart it turns out so it is thought to be a recessive genetic trait.

American Pharoah is an amazing horse with a great lineage. However to put it into perspective he would have lost to Secretariat by about 35 yards!

And yes. He is going to have a life of getting his freak on for the next 20 years. Not a bad way to retire in my book.
True but think how much tech, training, feed, everything that's changed since Secretariat's time..... And nobody has still been able to match his pace. Just crazy.

As for American Pharoah it looks like he'll be racing again which all things considered is surprising.

Smash
06-09-15, 16:36
Burger King paid $200,000 to stand next to Bob Baffert

http://www.eater.com/2015/6/8/8746047/burger-king-mascot-steals-show-at-belmont-stakes

jpmuscle
06-09-15, 16:41
Links dead??

WickedWillis
06-09-15, 18:28
I am glad I was able to see this, and the MLB triple crown in my lifetime. I wasn't around the last time either of these things happened.

cwgibson
06-09-15, 18:38
I am glad I was able to see this, and the MLB triple crown in my lifetime. I wasn't around the last time either of these things happened.

I distinctly remember when Miggy was a rookie with Florida watching them play a game against the Braves and the announcer saying that there were those in baseball saying he had the ability to be the next hitter to win the triple crown.

cwgibson
06-09-15, 18:44

This is from the wiki and for the life of me cannot figure out why you would not weigh the heart if you were that enamored with it.

At the time of Secretariat's death, the veterinarian who performed the necropsy, Dr. Thomas Swerczek, head pathologist at the University of Kentucky, did not weigh Secretariat's heart, but stated, "We just stood there in stunned silence. We couldn't believe it. The heart was perfect. There were no problems with it. It was just this huge engine."[38] Later, Swerczek also performed a necropsy on Sham, who died in 1993. Swerczek did weigh Sham's heart, and it was 18 pounds (8.2 kg). Based on Sham's measurement, and having necropsied both horses, he estimated Secretariat's heart probably weighed 22 pounds (10.0 kg),[37] or about two-and-three-quarters times as large as that of the average horse.

Koshinn
06-09-15, 18:46
There should be a comparison quiz... I'd call it "Racing horse name or online user name?"

kwelz
06-09-15, 18:47
I always felt bad for Sham. In any other time he would have been everyones favorite. However he was overshadowed by Secretariat.
A victim of when he was born more than anything else.

cwgibson
06-09-15, 19:15
I always felt bad for Sham. In any other time he would have been everyones favorite. However he was overshadowed by Secretariat.
A victim of when he was born more than anything else.

If I recall he was in second for all those races so technically he could have been a triple crown winner as well. Am I correct on that?