PDA

View Full Version : Quick help

The FNG
06-07-15, 21:01
I've got a guy offering to trade me a Mauser rifle. He says its Czech and its stamped MK. Can anyone help me value it?

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/07/4aeafb2a9e84fc12bb3c38e6e4407d0a.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/07/0d82b6f4064372103b1edd598024f030.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/07/aa3e5e2af580242c64515babd6b4a772.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ralph
06-08-15, 09:53
Are there any other markings on the receiver? Is the bolt handle round, or does it have a flat cut on the bottom side? Is the bolt handle straight or bent? Any markings on the bolt? Measure the center to center distance between the receiver screws on the magazine, if they are about 7 3/4" or so,(actual is 7.835 ctr-ctr) (standard overall length 98 action 8.750) then that's correct for a '98 action.. if it's about 7 1/2" or so,(actual 7.620 ctr-ctr) then it's probably a Yugo M-48..Some of these were made for Egypt in 1956 (if I'm remembering correctly) that were scrubbed.. No markings on the rifle. (serial # etc) The markings on the stock, (that someone cut down, and fit a recoil pad to) and the crudely cut slot for the sling, look like a Yugo M48 I had.. German 98's didn't have the stocks serial numbered. The M48's were decent rifles, and are often found in near new shape, but due to it being a intermediate sized action,(1/4" shorter than a '98) few parts between it, and a Mod.98 interchange.. A few more pics would help in identifying it..

ETA: In it's present state, just looking at the pics, and assuming the bore isn't pitted, and it's still in it's original caliber (8mm) I'd say it's worth about $200.. I also just noticed the enlarged trigger guard in your pic. The Czech's used these and their rifles were standard length actions. That would indicate that the screws may be about 7 3/4" or so apart ctc. (I'd still check) It may or may not have came with it after it was reworked, as these are also sold on the commercial aftermarket here in the U.S., and could have been installed by one of it's former owner(s) Look on the left side of the receiver for a " Preduzece 44" marking. These were German 98's that were acquired by Yugoslovia after WWII, all the German markings were ground off and the rifles were reworked. "Preduzece 44" (Enterprize or Establishment 44) is a code marking used to denote the arsenal or firm that reconditioned the rifle..

Another thing I noticed was the bolt in the first pic.. It's in the white. Both German and Czech 98's produced during WWII had Blued bolts, they were never left in the white,(M-48 bolts are however, in the white) That and the stock markings to me suggest that this is a M-48,(although it's also possible that this is a Yugo M24/47, which had bolts left in the white, The handles came both ways, straight and bent, and were also intermediate length actions, 8.500 OAL, receiver screws 7.620 ctr-ctr) What I don't understand is the triggerguard.. The Czech's used them, but as far as I know the Yugo's didn't. Again, measure the center to center distance between the screws, that will tell you alot. and again, more pics are needed

I dug up some books on Mauser's I have and corrected some mistakes I had posted earlier..I hope this helps, as Id'ing some of these rifles can be difficult, and at times confusing, as there many obscure variants. From what I've read, it's estimated that 125 million Mausers are around yet, and the last time they were used in battle was as late as the 90's in Bosina. There are no hard production figures as those records were lost during WWII.. And they were made under license by many different countries, who didn't keep very good records.

brickboy240
06-08-15, 13:58
The elongated trigger guard and laminated stock make me think it is a Czech made K-98. Does it say BRNO on the side rail of the receiver?

The recoil pad and lack of upper handguard means it was sporterized...that affects overall value. As a shooter, it could be a really nice rifle.

I have a Czech made K-98 and it too has a laminated stock, 2 sets of sling loops and the elongated trigger guard. Mine also says CZ-BRNO on the side rail of the receiver.

If the serial number on the receiver matches that on the bolt handle....it is probably a 200-250 dollar shooter and a nice little rifle for deer or pig hunting.

-brickboy240

The FNG
06-08-15, 20:40
Thanks for all of that detailed info! I'm having a little bit of a hard time getting info out of the guy. He says its from his grandpa in WWII, but that doesn't mean much to me. He says he really doesn't know anything more about the gun and sent me this picture.http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/08/b3bd96af993764322fb0e0ef977135b1.jpg

ralph
06-08-15, 21:08
Ok, now we're getting somewhere..That's a Czech Mauser, made by CZ.. Quality wise they are as good as a German Mauser. Looking at the pic, it could've been a Czech Mod.24 (VZ.24)at one time. They were originally produced with a bolt that was left in the white. The VZ.24 was the standard rifle of the Czech Army prior to WWII. It's possible it went through a rebuild after WWII.
That also explains the elongated trigger guard, and the laminated stock, originally, the VZ.24 had a solid one piece stock. That's very probably a standard length action. I'm assuming you can't look at it first hand?

The FNG
06-08-15, 21:52
Nope it's 150 miles away from me. I really appreciate all the help you've been. Finding info on this has been challenging!

ralph
06-08-15, 22:01
If you're interested, check out "Mauser Bolt Rifles" by Ludwig Olsen...Everything you ever wanted to know about Mauser rifles.. Lots of rifles you never knew existed. Excellent pics throughout. Tons of information.

brickboy240
06-10-15, 10:25
Definitely a late WW2 or post WW2 Czech 98 Mauser.

I have one identical to that in excellent condition and in original military trim. A great shooter...equal to any German made K-98 if you ask me.

It is NOT a VZ-24 as those had totally different stocks, machined trigger guards and very different looking rear sights. It was built in the BRNO factory under Nazi occupation or right after WW2 by the recently freed Czechs to be used by what little army they had left at the time. Since I don't see any Waffenamt acceptance stamps on the receiver or barrel....I am guessing it is the latter.

ralph
06-10-15, 23:02
Definitely a late WW2 or post WW2 Czech 98 Mauser.

I have one identical to that in excellent condition and in original military trim. A great shooter...equal to any German made K-98 if you ask me.

It is NOT a VZ-24 as those had totally different stocks, machined trigger guards and very different looking rear sights. It was built in the BRNO factory under Nazi occupation or right after WW2 by the recently freed Czechs to be used by what little army they had left at the time. Since I don't see any Waffenamt acceptance stamps on the receiver or barrel....I am guessing it is the latter.

Late WWII, parts were German made, and scrubbed, remarked and assembled into rifles by CZ. Look carefully at your bolt, late war bolts had the guide rib deleted, to increase production, the guide rib would help keep the bolt from binding as it was drawn back, and would pass through a slot in the top of the rear receiver ring. The Germans got this idea from the Swede's, who first put them on their Mod96's. They liked it so much they put it on 98's..