PDA

View Full Version : US Optics MR10 vs LR17 (1.8-10x vs 3.2-17x)

ingEneer22
06-08-15, 20:09
I'm finishing up an AR308 build. I've done my homework and have spent some money on quality parts and an 18" JP Supermatch barrel. I've included a brief description of some key parts below. I'm looking in the direction of optics now and am fairly uneducated in terms of "tactical scopes." I have grown up using Leupold 3-9x scopes on hunting rifles which are very simple compared to the options that are available on these higher priced tactical scopes. Some key features I am specifically looking for include a front focal plane, illuminated reticle, capable of shooting accurately at 600 yards and punching steel torsos at 1000. I will be doing some benchrest shooting and also a bit of hunting with this rifle.

I'm afraid that US Optics LR17 (3.2-17x) may be a bit overkill for a semi auto .308 AR. At the same time, if this rifle is capable of accurate 1000 yard shots, I do not want to end up with the MR10 (1.8-10x) wishing I had the LR17. I'm not 100% sure what these rifles are capable of and want to be sure to get the right equipment for the job!

18" JP Supermatch barrel
JP Enhanced High Pressure bolt
Rubber City Armory bolt carrier
Geissele DMR trigger
Magpul PRS stock

Any advice would be appreciated. Also I'm not sold on US Optics, they seem to have a good reputation and put a check in all my boxes.

sidewaysil80
06-08-15, 21:06
I feel you are short changing yourself if you are limited to 10x on the high side, especially on a .308 that will certainly reach 1000yds. I would certainly opt for the 17x and not look back. Its doubtful you will do most of your shooting from the lowest setting, and you are only adding an additional 1.4x lowest magnification with the LR17. However, buy adding that trivial amount you gain a 7x power more on the higher side.

Plasman
06-08-15, 21:35
Any advice would be appreciated. Also I'm not sold on US Optics, they seem to have a good reputation and put a check in all my boxes.

In my experience they're awful. Not well made and support lacking.

For that price range I'd go with the Leupold MK6 3-18x44.

ingEneer22
06-09-15, 16:24
Thanks for the input...I think I am leaning towards the 17x on the higher end.