PDA

View Full Version : Burris XTR 1-4x24 opinions???

Damascus
07-17-08, 22:33
I finally got my dream rifle, one I've been wanting since it was released... S&W M&P15-T. Right now, there's a huge 4-16x44 SF IR scope on it that I am using for load development - but I am saving for a more personalized optic.
At first, I was all ACOG, I figured that there just wasn't any other choice... until I seen the offerings and reticles... there's none I really like! I love the plain "origional" ACOG, the TA01 - which I believe is what I used in the Army, it's been a few years... But, it comes with a M16 carry handle mount, which I don't have... and I don't want to have an adapter to use it on my flat top - even if it were free, that's just something else to lose your zero. All the other ACOG's I've found that I like are just too much (I can't spend more than 1K).
I found the Burris XTR 1-4x24 30mm tube scope. There's 2 versions, the scope only package ($599), and the other package which contains the scope, 30mm rings, and the FastFire holosight mounted on top of the scope ($749). I'll probably get the FastFire version.
The biggest thing that caught my eye on this scope is the reticle. I LOVE the reticle, it's EXACTLY what I had in mind. It's called the Ballistic XTR 5.56 reticle or something - which looks sort of like an illuminated mil-dot, but not as big for CQB. This is also a "true" 1x scope, so you can use it with both eyes open, and then if a target pops up 300-400 yds. away, just crank it up to 4x.
Do any of you have an experience with this scope? Opinions??
Anyone have a recommendation for a better choice? I need something with 4X of magnifications, NO red dot scopes, must be some sort of reticle that is precise enough for long shots... I don't care if it's illuminated or not. I shoot more at long ranges than at short... All replies appreciated!

LettersFromEarth
07-26-08, 18:55
Im interested in the new XTR as well. The reticle looks useful and not busy at all. My only problem with Burris optics, at least the type I handled, is that they are a little unforgiving regarding off axis viewing, as all magnified optics do, but I havent had that problem (as bad anyway) with most Trijicon or Bushnell magnified optics that I have owned or used.

Speaking of Trijicon--So you have a fondness for the TA-01 NSN? I had one on my duty M4 for close to two years and I couldnt wait to get rid of it! For me the "irons" it came with are just about useless and I found the reticle to be too thin. I even went so far as to get a LaRue mount for it and I also mounted an MRD to the rear of the ACOG. All was better until I put on my K-Pot because when Id get behind the glass with my MICH on it would hit the MRD so Id back off the ACOG a little and well...you get the idea. Life is good now. :-)

Damascus
07-30-08, 20:41
Nice, thanx. Yeah, I do like the TA01-NSN - if the shooting is done more on the "precision" side than the CQB side... and yeah, those primitive iron sights on it are useless, I took them off my M16 (served as a SDM for 3 yrs), and had got ahold of the NSN from a friend in the armory, all the other ACOG's that were available were using that BAC chevron deal or triangle on post, which I though covered too much of the target at 150+ yards, and the thin little yellow rangefinding reticle made further shots a bit more natural for me (keep in mind, this was right after 9/11 and M4's weren't "general issue" yet, and if I were stuck in an "urban combat" scenario, rather than an "Afghan battlefield" scenario, my opinion might have changed!) ;)
I've not checked into off axis particulars, as I'm looking for more of a standard long range optic rather than a CQB sight, and getting the FastFire deal, while ugly, would serve all situations for me.. I hope I'm not making a $750 mistake lol. Thanx!

LettersFromEarth
07-31-08, 09:24
I believe it will be money will spent. My Burris exp came from their Fullfield and Short Mag lines and not the XTR so you should do well given the rep of the company. Now that I think about it---contact Burris and get with their LE/Mil rep as their $$$ cant be beat. Same holds true for Luppy and their glass. What ever you might do please let us know. Im also looking for an optic in the same class as you (leaning AccuPoint, though) and I would like to hear your outcome.

Damascus
07-31-08, 15:18
Will do! I've been doing a TON of research on a scope under 1K for my rifle, and have been comparing these scopes:
Burris XTR 14 w/ Fastfire, 1-4X24mm, 30mm tube, ILL XTR .223 reticle, $749
Burris XTR 14 w/o Fastfire, same as above, $599
Leupold Mark 4 MR-T M2, 1.5-5X20mm, 30mm tube, ILL Special Purpose reticle, $879
Valdata IOR M2 .223, 4X24, 30mm tube, ILL CQB reticle, $595
Burris EuroDiamond Tactical, 1-4X24mm, 30mm tube, non-ILL XTR .223 reticle, $499
Leupold Mark4 PRS, 1.5-5X20mm, 1" tube, non-ILL Special purpose reticle, $599
Leupold Mark2 Tactical, 1.5-4x20mm, 1" tube, non-ILL Duplex (yuck), $389
Millet DMS-1, 1-4x24mm, 30mm tube, ILL Circle Dot reticle, $279

I kept reading some bad reviews on the Millet, excellent scope for the money, but cannot stand up to rigorous combat handling. I decided against both the lower priced Leupold's, as a 1" tube scope will provide a small F.O.V. for CQB situations, and the duplex reticle just SUCKS lol. The IOR Valdata is a good, combat proven optic, it just falls short in "my" needs because of the lack of variable power range, and looks dept. I like the EuroDiamond Tactical, as it uses the same reticle as the XTR 1-4's, which is the best I've seen yet, I just wish it were illuminated... so, basically I'm stuck between the XTR 1-4's and the Leupold Mark 4 Mid Range Tactical M2 scope w/ Illuminated Special Purpose reticle (which is also very very nice)... the Leupy is quite a bit more expensive, but the XTR FastFire has more features for $100 less, and even comes with a good set of rings. I'll post a review, as detailed as I can, on whichever one I end up with. Thanx!

LettersFromEarth
07-31-08, 17:02
You might also consider Bushnells new 4200 Elite 1.5-4X24 mm optic. Very good glass indeed. SWFA lists them at $389.00 I believe. It doesnt have the "swat ninja cool" reticle but it might work for you just the same.

Also, G&R has package deals with AccuPoint and mount of your choice (LaRue or ADM). Their a 25mm tube but I wouldnt call the FOV small by any means. Good luck.

TexasAggies
07-31-08, 17:34
That Burris looks really hard to beat.

I'm going to pick one up for the next Team Match. If you can wait till Sept 20th Ill have a review.

LettersFromEarth
07-31-08, 19:16
Sounds good. What will you be using for a mount and what optic will the Burris be replacing / augmenting?

ttech
08-02-08, 09:11
you might check this out as well under 800.00 with LaRue mount and no batteries needed.............http://www.laruetactical.com/pics/trijicon125-4x24/trijicon125-4x24.html

Damascus
08-02-08, 14:27
I checked into the Trijicon Accupoint series when researching what scope I needed... and I could only find them with rudimentary "triangle on a post" reticles - which don't can't serve my needs... They cover a lot of the target, so long range precision shots are out, and has no rangefinding capabilities to speak of. The only Trijicon scopes I can use is obviously the ACOG series, which I can't afford, and most of them come with a carry handle mount, and needs a special bracket to mount to a flattop rail, I don't like that, more things to get bent and lose zero.
I also think the Burris XTR will outperform the ACOG as an all around SDM optic, as it has a precise reticle that isn't too busy, and is also a true 1X optic, so "both eyes open" CQB shooting works better than the ACOG's 4X. Advantages of the ACOG, obviously would be battery-less operation, and (probably) would be a bit tougher. I'm not planning on dropping my rifle down any stairs or anything, so the Burris will be tough enough I'm sure, and might even be just as tough. We'll see.

LettersFromEarth
08-03-08, 02:59
To the OP--I agree and I disagree with you regarding the AccuPoint and its limits hitting at extended ranges. Its a good optic and it fits many a need for many a Joe both here and in the GWOT and Im sure its only a matter of time before the Burris XTR series of optics gains the the reputation and widespread use that the AccuPoint is now starting to see.

So, PLEASE buy the darn thing (XTR) so I can get an idea of how good (or bad) the sucker is!!! Until more of the XTR's get out and put to use there will be alot of ??? regarding same and that will keep sales low for awhile.

To the OP--What are your thoughts for a mount? Given that the published ER seems pretty good I would think the the LaRue SPR-E would be the way to go but I could be wrong. Good luck.

ttech
08-03-08, 12:47
actually the link i posted for you has the accupoint with the new german #4 crosshair reticle and small lit Dot for easy target acquisiton, the dot is something like .9 moa at 4x and 2.5 moa or so when on 1.25 power........so the dot gets smaller for precision shots and bigger for up close work........anyway thought it might fit your needs

Damascus
08-04-08, 17:02
So, PLEASE buy the darn thing (XTR) so I can get an idea of how good (or bad) the sucker is!!! Until more of the XTR's get out and put to use there will be alot of ??? regarding same and that will keep sales low for awhile.

To the OP--What are your thoughts for a mount? Given that the published ER seems pretty good I would think the the LaRue SPR-E would be the way to go but I could be wrong. Good luck.

LOL, I'm definitely buying it, I'm still short about $200, so I should have it here by the 12th of this month, if all goes right.
As for the mount, I'm using the supplied Burris XTR 30mm rings (I'm buying the model that comes with rings and the FastFire holosight on top (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=585091)). I still am considering the Leupold Mark 4 MR-T M2 (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=788164) scope, which costs $120 more, and doesn't come with rings, and is quickly losing the race between my choice and the date I order. I was thinking about buying the XTR 1-4 "scope only", which costs $599 instead of $749 for the model with rings and Fastfire sight.. IF I decide that those rings aren't going to be good enough - and I really don't need that FastFire holosight on the optic... just more bulk on my rifle. I'm considered a poor person, and anytime I drop several hundred bucks on something, I get meticulous with decision preparation and such...

LettersFromEarth
08-04-08, 22:12
Okay, if I had a choice to make I would get the base version w/out the MRD and rings and use the extra dosh to buy a LaRue mount for it. I mean the XTR can be dialed down to a 1x optic so adding another is a bit much IMHO. Just a thought.

Damascus
08-05-08, 12:18
Oh I totally agree... that holosight on top of the Burris is just overkill, something else to get broken off your rifle and add weight... I know it's to help "reflex" style tactical shooting, but with a true 1x optic that can be fired with both eyes open, why take your cheek off the stock to aim through a higher optic?
The base scope is $599, and the version with rings/holo is $749... $150 more... are LaRue mounts really worth paying $190 for?? Or are the cheaper ones ok too? I've never used a LaRue product - I am using a JP on piece mount/ring base on my LR-308, which I paid like $140 for, and it's been rock solid.
What mount would you recommend for $150 or under?

LettersFromEarth
08-05-08, 17:01
LaRue mounts kick a$$, my friend. They are worthy of the hype and the props folk tend to give them. Sure, they are pricey--so what. If its going on a duty or home def weapon its worth even MORE than what Mark LaRue will get from you. Dont half ass it now, Damascus. You have a good gun with your S&W and will soon have good glass for it as well. Get a LaRue mount for it and complete the circle so to speak.

BTW--some good people here on this site have become fans of mounts offered by ADM. I have no hands on w/them so they are an unknown road that Im not sure about going down yet but I'd say give them a look as well. They have a mount called the "Scout" that looks like it will work well for you and the bank account. I dont think its offered yet in an EER format yet so if your a NTCH shooter it might not work for you. Look for a guy who posts under the name "Stickman" and send him a PM. He knows the game better than I as far as ADM goes.

Damascus
08-05-08, 20:18
Sounds like a plan then. Been looking around the different models on LaRue's website, and they all are sort of "canted forward" of the base itself... This would appear that you would mount the base of the LaRue mount at the rear of your flattop upper, thus positioning the scope further forward for proper eye relief? If this is true, then where would you mount your BUIS? Can this mount be reversed, so I can leave the BIUS on there?
This weapon WILL be used for duty, I am preparing for a 90 day trip to western mid- Africa, working for a private security company, and I don't want to half-a$$ this weapon.
From what all I've been reading, and this evening I contacted a few buddies that I served with that knew a bit more about brands than I keep up with, and they all corroborated what you said: LaRue mounts are the way to go. Thanx!

LettersFromEarth
08-05-08, 21:54
Damascus,
I sent you a PM

ccoker
08-05-08, 23:15
I've never used a LaRue product - I am using a JP on piece mount/ring base on my LR-308, which I paid like $140 for, and it's been rock solid.
What mount would you recommend for $150 or under?

I have used both, the JP is a great mount and if you don't need the QR function it's good to go..

now, I would say if my life was on the line I would probably opt for the Larue as it just seems beefier and maybe up to more abuse.

SoDak
08-09-08, 00:29
Since the bullet drop compensator is set for 62 grain bullets would the compensator be completely off if a different bullet weight was used (say 55 or 77 grain)?

Damascus
08-09-08, 14:52
Yes. BDC compensators are almost never perfect. Many variables can change calibration - barrel length, brand of ammo, etc. It's always best to go to a large range, set targets out at various distances, zero the rifle at 100 yds (or 200) and then fire at the more distant targets, keeping note of how much they drop, then you can find out exactly what the stadia lines can be used for.
I will be using a handload loaded with 69gr. Sierra Matchkings, loaded pretty hot, hotter than .223 Rem loads, but not as hot as 5.56 NATO, so I shouldn't have to deviate much, especially when ranges get past 100 yds, the higher BC of my bullets compared to M855 more than make up for the extra weight.
There's a PDF file on the XTR 5.56 Reticle on Burris' website, going more in depth on how this reticle is to be used.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/pdf/XTR_Ballistic556.pdf
Now, I have enough money to buy it, I decided to get the plain scope, without rings and Fastfire sight, along with a LaRue LT104 mount... I am going to wait until Monday (it's Sat.) to order though, I want to do some more thinking, and read more reviews and info, to see if the Leupold Mark 4 MR/T M2 is really worth the extra $279... they are both 30mm scopes, the Burris is 1-4x, the Leupold is advertised 1.5-5x, but it's actually only 1.5 - 4.5 I found out - so magnification won't be noticeably more... I DO like the reticle better on the Leupold, the illuminated Special Purpose, but I don't like it $279 better!!
Also, I know I should pay the $190 for the LaRue mount, but I don't need QD capabilities, so I am also thinking about getting a set of $100 Warne 30mm X-high AR rings instead... either way, I have 36 hours to get my mind made up... I HAVE to order by Monday, otherwise I won't have time to get the scope mounted and zeroed by the time I depart for Africa.

LettersFromEarth
08-09-08, 18:14
Damascus,

The Leupold 1.5-5X MRT is a nice bit of glass. The SPR reticle seems okay (I like the Circle Dot better), the ER is NOT the same through out the mag range, the Illum is NOT daytime friendly (a big deal for some with this optic as a few think the reticle is too thin), the BDC is a nice touch (and MAYBE a tad bit much given the design of the reticle). It's a bad ass optic, bro. You wont regret it if thats the way you go.

As far as the mount goes...stand by for a PM/e-mail.

Damascus
08-11-08, 13:52
Alright. It's Monday. I have to get a scope ordered by tomorrow morning, or else I won't have enough time to properly train with the new equipment.
I've done some soul searching and brain storming, trying to decide between the XTR-14 and Mark4 MR/T M2, comparing everything I could think of.. I noticed the MK4 had 1/2" MOA adjustments - I prefer 1/4".. but then noticed the Burris did too... I do think the Special Purpose reticle serves my needs a bit better than the XTR 5.56 reticle does, since it's thinner and more "precise"... the only thing that makes me like it better is the XTR's center... the horseshoe with a dot center is not as precise - but I seriously doubt that I will have to engage targets past 300m, if at all, so either optic can easily do that range. The Burris is a bit longer, but not really heavier, so that's nothing... I do like that the Burris' brightness adjustment is on the side of the scope, rather than on top of the eyebell like the Leupold.. makes adjusting easier when looking through it. You mentioned day time visibility on the ill. reticle - I rarely (if ever) use the illumination on any of my scopes during daytime, so that's not even a deciding factor for me ATM. Where I'm going in Africa, is going to be a wet, humid, hot jungle/rainforest type climate, and the new StormCoat glass coating on the Burris XTR's could very well wind up being worth it's weight in gold. The new coating (ruby red) claims to immediately shed water, and not allow it to bead up on the glass and blur your target... we'll see.
Anyways, just wanted to add: I was at a gunshop this morning picking up some primers, and I handled my dream scope for this scenario, it was absolutely incredible, albeit more expensive that the rifle! lol It was an IOR Valdata 1.5-8x26mm CQB Ill. w/ 35mm tube... man, that thing was so crystal clear, all the adjustments felt so crisp and precise, it felt like I was playing with a brain surgeon's tool lol. Way out of my price range though ($1500). Sure would make someone a nice SDM/PRS scope. http://www.valdada.com/product/a2655086-d6e1-4df9-ba34-42428d8b0c8b.aspx

Damascus
08-19-08, 00:40
Ok, just updating for everyone. I did order a XTR 1-4. I ordered it from MidwayUSA for $599, and it got here in three days.. It arrived 2 days ago, but I have not yet mounted it yet. There's a problem. I am posting this, to let everyone know that I am going to post a very detailed review on both this scope, Burris' customer/warranty service, and the Talbot mount I am going to use with it.. When I first opened this scope 2 days ago, I was just simply amazed by the glass. It is one of the brightest, most light-transmitting scopes I've ever had the pleasure to peer into. I was worried that the XTR 5.56 Ballistic reticle was going to be thick, and fat, a CQC reticle... well, it isn't. It is a very small reticle, with very fine lines, 1 MOA. The illuminated feature works very well for both daytime and night, and never has the bright red "glare ring" around it when the power is up high and you're using it in the dark... I see no need to ever use it past the 3rd power level, as that is bright enough to see clearly in even bright sunlight, but yet isn't too bright even when looking at it in pitch black environments. Again, I want to praise the glass - as it's as good or better than any Leupold, IOR, or Trijicon Accupoint I've ever looked through - I'm even going to go as far as to say that it's as good as the Nightforce NXS 1-4 scopes I've handled at the gun shop, image quality and light-transmission wise.
Here's where the bad part comes in. I only have 3 bad things to say about this scope.
1-) The scope comes with some good accessories, like a high quality cloth scope cover with the Burris logo embroidered on it, a battery, and instructions. The part I didn't like was the scope covers... When I spend over $600 on a scope, I expect at least cheap-brand flip-up scope covers... rather than this, Burris has included only a rubber "bikini" style lens cover. They work rather well, as they seem to be made just for this size of scope, and seem to be of high quality - but I am taking this scope into a combat zone, and now, it's just another accessory that I am going to have to buy separately.
2-) It doesn't have a "power ring". Instead, you turn the entire eyebell to adjust power level.. which means the Burris logo is either on the 3 or 9'o clock position when it's on 1 or 4x. When it's on 2.5x, the logo is on top, at 12'o clock like it should be. This isn't a big deal, but some people might find it annoying.
3-) My scope came with something wrong with it. When I removed the adjustment caps, I turned the windage adjustment back and forth, adjustments were crisp and precise, with an audible click. Then, I tried the elevation adjustment... When I turn it "down", I get the audible click. When I turn it "up" - I can "feel" it clicking, but it's totally silent. This is more than likely due to excess silicone or waterproofing agent around the cogs, but it could be something more serious. I contacted Burris via e-mail about this, asking if this is "normal"... I then got a response from Burris apoligizing to me for my first experience with an XTR scope, and advising me that a pre-paid box is on it's way for me to ship it back to them, and they are going to send me a brand new scope. I advised them that I needed to have my weapon ready by Sept. 01, and I would appreciate it if they would at least 2-3 day ship it back to me... I have yet to get an answer on this (I only talked with them last about 2 hours ago).. I took a risk buying a scope I haven't heard anything about as far as actual combat usage, and I advised the Burris rep that if he couldn't guarantee me fast shipment, I'd return this scope back to Midway and use the refund towards a Leupold Mk4 MR/T 1.5-5 or a 4x ACOG variant. I'll advise how Burris' customer service/warranty claim service performs. These scopes have "forever" warranties, so we'll see. The rep was extremely polite and didn't treat me like I didn't know what I was talking about, so, thus far, I give them an A+.
When I get the replacement scope, I will post pics and more detailed review information.

RallySoob
08-19-08, 08:50
I just wanted to say that the I have the trijicon accpoint in 1.5-4x zoom and it is a very accurate scope. The triangle does not make the scope less accurate. Make sure to tune your zero for the very tip of the triangle and it is pin point accurate. When you are at closer ranges the bullet tends to hit around the middle of the triangle which is perfect for chasing moving targets with both eyes open (BAC) on 1.25x zoom. I believe it is the best SPR scope for the money hands down with its extended eye relief and tritium illuminated reticle

Damascus
08-19-08, 12:01
I agree, the Accupoint is a great scope, but I needed something with some sort of rangefinding reticle, and I may be forced into taking up to 400 yd. shots, and I want a reticle that's more "precise" than the triangle. Accupoints are geared more towards hunting as well, I needed a scope that's built for tactical use, with a thick-walled scope tube to withstand abuse... If Trijicon would make a cheaper ACOG variant, or incorporate more ACOG technology into the Accupoint scopes, like the available reticles, they'd make a killing... but if they did that, ACOG sells would surely suffer, and you know they can't have that lol.

Damascus
08-21-08, 12:45
Well people, this is my first and LAST experience with Burris optics. I don't remember if I mentioned this, but I needed to get my weapon ready, as I'm leaving for a private security job in Africa, first of Sept. I told Burris this when I e-mailed them, letting them know I was in a very real hurry to get the replacement scope back, and well, this morning, I just got another e-mail from Burris, advising me that I should just send it back to Midway, and let them replace it, because they are "out of stock".. Ya, right. They're just hoping I'll exchange it for another XTR-14, so Midway can do all the work, and I'll have to pay shipping... Well, after I cooled down, I just e-mailed Burris' customer service rep back, and told them that I'd gladly send it back to Midway, but NOT for another Burris. I told them that I should have went with my first instinct and bought an ACOG or Leupold Mk4 MR/T 1.5x5.. and that I will be posting reviews of my Burris experience on all forums I am a member to, as to hopefully educate future buyers. I also told them that they should consider dropping the MSRP down to around $299, as that's all the optic and warranty service is worth, as far as I'm concerned. I mean, a $600 scope is NOT cheap - you'd at least expect everything on it to work!! Today, I was moving the elevation knob (with a penny, too tight to do by hand), back and forth, hoping that if the problem is too much lube on the gears, it might spread out and start clicking when I turn it "up"... after about the 8th time, it TOTALLY lost ALL resistance in the "up" direction!! It still clicks when I turn it down, but now, when I turn it up, it spins as free as ever... so it had more problems than just too much silicone or grease on the cogs. I just got off the phone with Midway, who was happy to refund my money.. so, looks like I'll have to save up a bit more and get a Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 1.5-5x24, or an ACOG of some sort, if I can afford to. Here are some links to pictures I took of the scope and packaging when it arrived - I know, my camera sucks! lol
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/Damascus_747/XTR-14_1.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/Damascus_747/XTR-14_2.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii47/Damascus_747/XTR_556_1.jpg

Whatever optic I end up with, I'll try and post a pre-combat review before I leave, and a post review when I return, with as many pics as I can get away with taking.

LOKNLOD
08-21-08, 13:15
Sorry to hear about the bad experience. If you need the low power variable, I still say look into the Accupoint, if you can't afford (or find) a Short-dot. I wouldn't dismiss them as hunting scopes, I bet they're more durable than the Burris. I hate to give 2nd hand info, but IIRC they are in use with military units. Grant has mentioned it before.

I'd give Grant at call at G&R, see if he can sway your worries about durability, and he'll get you good deal on an optic/mount combo.

If Grant is out, Larue has similar pricing on the combo, and either one will make sure you get it ASAP if you need it for deployment.

RallySoob
08-21-08, 14:13
I can't imagine you finding anything better for the money than an Accupoint. I have only had mine a week and it already took a hard blow to the side of the scope where the tritium pad sits. There is a dent in the side of the scope and a very minute sign of internal tritium bleeding but everything works flawlessly. not to mention the sight adjustment knobs kick ass on this scope. Fully adjustable and able to Zero by hand, no penny's required...

Unless you can afford a leupold mark 4, or a night force, or a schmidt and bender, stick with the accupoint...

Damascus
08-21-08, 15:09
I agree, the Accupoints are great scopes, there's just 3 reasons I can't make it work easily:
1 - I can't get used to the reticle, I need to be able to make precision shots up to 400 yds, and need some sort of ranging system preferably.
2 - I don't like the smaller F.O.V. of the 1" tube.
3 - My mount is for 30mm scopes (and I don't want to get a different one, I absolutely love this mount).

Man, if Trijicon made an Accupoint with a yellow rangefinding reticle that's on the TA01-NSN, man, that would be a great scope! I don't know what I'll end up with, I'll get my $600 back from Midway, and I have almost 3 weeks (absolute max) to save extra cash - I am wanting an ACOG, a cheaper one, TA01, TA01-NSN, but I'd LOVE a TA31F... but if I can't get enough money in time, I'll have to get whatever I can. I'm going to check out Grant's store right now.

LOKNLOD
08-21-08, 15:14
I agree, the Accupoints are great scopes, there's just 3 reasons I can't make it work easily:
1 - I can't get used to the reticle, I need to be able to make precision shots up to 400 yds, and need some sort of ranging system preferably.
2 - I don't like the smaller F.O.V. of the 1" tube.
3 - My mount is for 30mm scopes (and I don't want to get a different one, I absolutely love this mount).

Hey, those are all fine reasons for you then :) Just didn't want you to skip out solely based on durability concerns. Good luck, and stay safe over there!

RallySoob
08-21-08, 16:10
lets us know what you end up with and how it performs. GL and stay safe brother!

USAFR
01-21-09, 18:05
Looking to see how it will work out. I should have it within the next couple of week.
I'll be getting scope with alll the bells and do dads, and using it in a three gun, if that does not work any bugs to the top I'll be supprised.

Damascus
01-22-09, 13:05
I hope it works out for you! Like I mentioned, even though I had a bad experience with mine, the glass was good, and the reticle was excellent, as was the illumination. I wish Trijicon would put a similar reticle in their TR21/TR24 scopes! Or a reticle similar to IOR's CQB horseshoe..
The deal killers for me was, obviously, mine had an adjustment malfunction, and the windage turret would not click when turned, and the other thing is more of a design flaw: the entire eyebell turns for magnification adjustment, it doesn't have "power ring" like other variables... this might not bother some people, but that would make using flip-up scope caps kinda cumbersome... and the big, bright white Burris logo looks funny when it's on the 3 or 9 o clock positions.
Good luck, and I hope yours helps win a few matches!