PDA

View Full Version : Remington 11-87 Police

CobraBG
06-10-15, 11:49
I just bought a new Remington 11-87 Police. It has the 7 round extended magazine tube and rifle sights. I don't know much about this model and was wondering how it compares to the 1100. The owners book makes distinctions between interchanging parts with an 1100. I already have an 870 and a Benelli M1S90. I like the 11-87 because it has an 18" barrel and is semi auto. Who can tell me more about this 11-87? Thanks

williejc
06-10-15, 14:50
The 1187 is an improved version of the 1100. Its gas system will handle 3 inch shells. Gun for gun it weighs more than the 1100. This next statement gets me in an argument sometimes: the police version's barrel has gas vents for shooting heavier loads like buckshot, slugs, or 3 inch shells so don't expect your gun to feed anybody's light loads. Remington literature will verify this statement but it's somewhere in the fine print. After your gun is well broken in, it may or may not shoot lighter loads.

Give the chamber a most thorough cleaning with bristle brush followed by 0000 steel wool. Many Remingtons require this treatment even when new. Oh. strip, clean, and lightly lube before use. You'll be removing preservative which is not always a good lube. The red stuff coming off on the cleaning rag is not rust. Anybody's 3 inch ammo is good for break-in.

Mr blasty
06-10-15, 15:02
The 1187 is an improved version of the 1100. Its gas system will handle 3 inch shells. Gun for gun it weighs more than the 1100. This next statement gets me in an argument sometimes: the police version's barrel has gas vents for shooting heavier loads like buckshot, slugs, or 3 inch shells so don't expect your gun to feed anybody's light loads. Remington literature will verify this statement but it's somewhere in the fine print. After your gun is well broken in, it may or may not shoot lighter loads.

Give the chamber a most thorough cleaning with bristle brush followed by 0000 steel wool. Many Remingtons require this treatment even when new. Oh. strip, clean, and lightly lube before use. You'll be removing preservative which is not always a good lube. The red stuff coming off on the cleaning rag is not rust. Anybody's 3 inch ammo is good for break-in.

Although I haven't used the 11-87, this is in line with everything I've heard about it and my experience with other blemibgton shotguns. I would pay close attention to the aforementioned chamber treatment.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

CobraBG
06-10-15, 18:40
Thank you, I will be sure to give it a thorough cleaning before shooting it. It feels good and shoulders well with the standard stock. I have a Mesa Tactical pistol grip stock on my 870. As a defensive round I usually use 2 3/4" 00 buck in my 870. That will probably what I use in the 11-87. Any other opinions?

williejc
06-10-15, 19:19
Leave it stock and use big name ammo brands for defense--Federal, Remington, or Winchester. Low recoil buck shot won't function. I don't remember if your barrel has choke tubes, but if it does I suggest using improved cylinder or modified but not full. I'm a life time shotgun guy but will be the first to tell you that your weapon's effective range is 35 yards. Not everybody agrees with this statement; although it will kill at a greater distance, patterns start to diffuse beyond 35 yards. I learned this fact shooting cylinder bore 870 riot guns on paper with somebody else's ammo. At first, I didn't believe it either, and of course there are exceptions. If the other guy is shooting back, exceptions lose their meaning. I must emphasize that I have never been in or come close to being in a gun fight so my off the range experience does not compare to others here who have seen the real thing. If I were a commando, I'd be an arm chair commando. I don't do much other than sit on the front porch, wind my watch, and bitch. I'm also fat. Good luck and don't work on your 1187.

G19A3
06-12-15, 13:40
I just bought a new Remington 11-87 Police. It has the 7 round extended magazine tube and rifle sights. I don't know much about this model and was wondering how it compares to the 1100. The owners book makes distinctions between interchanging parts with an 1100. I already have an 870 and a Benelli M1S90. I like the 11-87 because it has an 18" barrel and is semi auto. Who can tell me more about this 11-87? Thanks

What are the 11-87 Police going for nowadays, if you don't mind me asking?

williejc
06-12-15, 19:58
About the mag extension. Correct reassembly requires a specific sequence when reinstalling the two parts. Perhaps one of our l.e. armorers will provide the right info. Years ago I had the factory extension on an 870, loaded it, and months later I checked the ammo. Two had compressed enough that a ring formed above the rim area that prevented feeding and chambering. Ammo was Win. l.e., which in this example was defective. Mag spring pressure distorted the shells.

1187s are heavier than 1100s. With a fully loaded extended mag, you may find the balance to be unwieldly. In your rig if feeding problems occur, check the extended mag, which I consider to be a weak link. All won't agree here.

26 Inf
06-12-15, 22:52
Low recoil buck shot won't function.

This doesn't mirror our experience with 11-87's using Federal LE 132 00 and LE 127 RS; don't know about other ammo but they also guzzle good quality (not value pack) light loads.

They do be heavy though.

26 Inf
06-12-15, 22:54
About the mag extension. Correct reassembly requires a specific sequence when reinstalling the two parts. Perhaps one of our l.e. armorers will provide the right info. Years ago I had the factory extension on an 870, loaded it, and months later I checked the ammo. Two had compressed enough that a ring formed above the rim area that prevented feeding and chambering. Ammo was Win. l.e., which in this example was defective. Mag spring pressure distorted the shells.

1187s are heavier than 1100s. With a fully loaded extended mag, you may find the balance to be unwieldly. In your rig if feeding problems occur, check the extended mag, which I consider to be a weak link. All won't agree here.

The Remington extended magazine tube is removed as a unit (end cap and extension) and installed as individual pieces - end cap, then extension. IIRC it is to ensure the end cap is fully seated and retained by the detent ball before screwing in the extension.

williejc
06-12-15, 22:58
I'm very likely out of date with my observation on their gas ports/light loads. Sounds like they now have the same set up as "regular" 1187s.

CobraBG
06-14-15, 10:10
What are the 11-87 Police going for nowadays, if you don't mind me asking?

I paid $699 NIB

I appreciate the different information everyone has provided. It has been very helpful. Anything else?

G19A3
06-14-15, 14:26
I paid $699 NIB

I appreciate the different information everyone has provided. It has been very helpful. Anything else?

Thanks for the update.

AutoFiend
08-13-15, 20:36
I enjoy the really light recoil of my 11-87

Canonshooter
05-14-16, 08:01
http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/1187s-1.jpg

The blued/wood 1187 on the left is detailed in the link in my signature below.

I purchased the 1187P new about three years ago. Some observations;

1. They both function fine with Federal LE132-00 (9-pellet) and Federal LE127 RS (soft lead Hydra-Shok HP slug) reduced-recoil loads. However, they will NOT function with 00 8-pellet loads, such as the Remington Managed-Recoil (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/182110/remington-express-managed-recoil-ammunition-12-gauge-2-3-4-00-buckshot-8-pellets-box-of-5).

2. The two Federal LE loads mentioned above cycle reliably and allow for faster follow-up shots vs. full-power loads (the 1187 needs to be shouldered to cycle reliably regardless of load).

3. Along with the two reduced-recoil Federal LE loads, I use the Brenneke Heavy Field Short Magnum load (full-power 1-1/4 ounce hard slug) when maximum penetration is needed. At 50 yards, it prints within a few inches of the Federal load.

4. The magazine extension on the 1187P is a two-piece affair, the actual tube threads into the retainer nut. To reassemble, install the retainer nut first to secure the forearm, then install the spring and the tube. The tube should come in light contact with the end of the magazine to remove any gap, then the barrel/magazine clamp is installed to hold the tube in place (be sure to hold the tube from backing out when installing the clamp).

The 1187P is pretty good out of the box but I've made a few changes including a Wolff magazine spring, a G,G&G stainless magazine follower (http://www.gggaz.com/remington-870-follower.html), a G,G&G charging handle (http://www.gggaz.com/remington-1100-1187-enhanced-charging-handle.html), and a Speedfeed 13" stock (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/210128/speedfeed-sport-buttstock-youth-13-length-of-pull-remington-870-1100-11-87-12-gauge-synthetic-black).

For a defensive use I much prefer the FO bead and rib that I'm using on my 1187 Premier. The rifle sights on the 1187P do provide better precision with slugs but for fast work the front sight does not stand out as well as the FO bead. I just ordered a HiViz FO front sight (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2343165463/hiviz-muzzleloader-and-rifle-front-sight-375-dovetail-steel-fiber-optic-with-6-interchangeable-lite-pipes) for the 1187P which I think will help. The only downside I've found with FO sights is that they are more fragile, but the HiViz brand seems more robust than the others.

Gunfixr
05-15-16, 08:42
The 3" 11/87 guns usually will run light 2 3/4" loads, but not all of them. You may have to try a couple different ones.

The 3 1/2" 11/87 magnums will rarely, if ever run light 2 3/4" loads.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

Fordtough25
05-16-16, 09:56
I've had great luck so far with estate and federal light loads through my 11-87p. Great shotgun!

misfit47
06-29-16, 07:25
I just picked up a newer used one yesterday. It's got a Wilson Combat extensión tube on it. Will install a mesa tactical clamp/sling/light mount on it as well. Can't wait to run that sucker.

misfit47
07-09-16, 12:57
Took mine out the other day and it ran fine on full power buck and slugs, robins reduced recoil buck but choked on the reduced recoil slugs.

Straight Shooter
07-19-16, 13:38
Are the 11-87's built with premium parts & care like the 870P's are..or at least were, at one time? Any MIM parts?
Any common mods needed to make it 100%?

Straight Shooter
10-07-17, 20:07
Im bumping this thread, instead of starting another, to see here if anyone can answer. Been wondering this ever since Remington moved here to Huntsville. There is an excellent sticky above, that details the care and precision, along with the differences, between the Police 870's and all other models.
Questions: Here in Huntsville...do they still have dedicated rooms for the Police shottys?
Are the 11-87 Police guns made the same way, with premium parts and all hand fit and extra QC? Do either the 870P or 1187P have any MIM parts?
What is the opinion of those of you who know, of the current,"made today" Police 870 & 1187?
Strongly wanting a 1187Police Magnum....but Ive got & had a case of the red ass against any & all things Remington for many years now. Anyone up-tp-date on this?

misfit47
10-08-17, 09:24
I really like the 11-87P shotty. Mine loved turkey and buck shot. Stay away from reduced recoil loads.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

L-2
10-08-17, 15:03
For Post#20, the guy "JD" on this website: https://www.aiptactical.com
seems to know a lot about Remington shotguns and its individual parts.
His email address is on the website, provided, and his website has much information.
Whether the info is truth, opinion, or "BS" is up to the reader to decide.

Apparently, "JD" makes his living as a Remington shotgun armorer/gunsmith and periodically maintains his Remington armorer certification along with trips to the factory.

Straight Shooter
10-08-17, 15:32
For Post#20, the guy "JD" on this website: https://www.aiptactical.com
seems to know a lot about Remington shotguns and its individual parts.
His email address is on the website, provided, and his website has much information.
Whether the info is truth, opinion, or "BS" is up to the reader to decide.

Apparently, "JD" makes his living as a Remington shotgun armorer/gunsmith and periodically maintains his Remington armorer certification along with trips to the factory.

Man, thats good info...thank you for that.

austinN4
10-08-17, 16:42
Man, thats good info...thank you for that.
Ditto! I did not know about him and am glad to have that info. Thanks!

Hoosier15
12-26-17, 23:17
Had a flood of PD trade ins come through local shops and me and a friend both had one and I didn't have a single malf through ours. From buck/ball/bird.