PDA

View Full Version : SIG 556R Gen 2 long term experience

Maverick07
06-11-15, 00:21
ALCON:

I have been researching the SIG 556R Gen 2 for long-term reliability and durability and am not having much luck finding and verifying if this variant is GTG. It appears they are a good platform but I would sure like recent and first hand experience. I know SIG switched to the "xi" variant but they are proving to be a mess. So between the Gen 1 and xi is the Gen 2 the only viable option on this weapon? I have a chance to pick one up in near new condition with and MI front folding sight and Troy rear folding sight for what I think is a steal. However, I am doing my due diligence before proceeding forward.

w3453l
06-11-15, 01:36
I know this doesn't answer your question, but the 556R's questionable quality issues combined with what seems like a very good deal might be a flag. Just be careful.

I personally would avoid the Sig, but I know that's not what you asked. Either way, good luck.

By the way, have you thought of the Galil ACE? I know it's not released yet, but supposed to be soon. It seems similar, and it is more proven for what it's worth.

halmbarte
06-11-15, 08:26
My new 556R gen2 was defective and Sig couldn't fix it. The CH hit the end of the slot in the receiver.

They did replace it with a 556 XI in 556 NATO, which I sold unfired.

H

00stormbringer
06-11-15, 09:57
ALCON:

I have been researching the SIG 556R Gen 2 for long-term reliability and durability and am not having much luck finding and verifying if this variant is GTG. It appears they are a good platform but I would sure like recent and first hand experience. I know SIG switched to the "xi" variant but they are proving to be a mess. So between the Gen 1 and xi is the Gen 2 the only viable option on this weapon? I have a chance to pick one up in near new condition with and MI front folding sight and Troy rear folding sight for what I think is a steal. However, I am doing my due diligence before proceeding forward.

I've own a 556R gen2 for almost 2 years now. The born on date is AUG 2013; the final series design reiteration before the release of the XI, which incorporated the addition of a chrome lined barrel. I've had no mechanical issues with the rifle through 3000 rounds of cheap Russian ammo. Sig Sauer New Hampshire is a Quality Control Carnival; some function fine out of the box, while others are so far out of spec that it's pure chicanery how they made it through the test firing process. My advice is to have the seller meet you at a local range and allow you to test fire the rifle since it is a used firearm with a questionable production track record. Otherwise, wait for IWI to release the Galil Ace or buy an Arsenal AK.

http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag308/00stormbringer/DSCN3493_zps24ed09c5.jpg (http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/00stormbringer/media/DSCN3493_zps24ed09c5.jpg.html)

halmbarte
06-11-15, 19:12
I forgot to note earlier: the warranty does not transfer past the 1st owner.

You buy used and it is your problem. Sig will work on it, on your dime.

H

Maverick07
06-11-15, 23:24
All good info. I appreciate the feedback. The ACE is something like 1.7k, way more than I can spend and two and a half times what my LGS has on the 556R. I wish I could take it out for test run but that is not possible. I do a lot of business with these guys so they giving me a cut price. This is the first 556R they have seen so they are not invested or interested in the production history issues.

shoresroad
08-05-15, 14:37
Hey guys,

I've got a Sig 556 ER I bought back in 2010 (the Gen 1 fish gill model). I added the Swiss style handguard, a Magpul stock, MI iron sights, and a dropped charging handle to clear optics, and 5 years later it just goes and goes and goes. BUT, what's the word on these early 556's. What kind of wear/breakage problems should I be looking for? I've got about 3000 rounds thru it so far. Don't worry, you won't hurt my feelings, I'm an M4 guy for serious circumstances. But my 556 as always struck me as a pretty rugged weapon even though I keep hearing otherwise. Thought I would get a more impartial opinion here rather than on the Sig forum.

Thanks!

ndmiller
08-05-15, 19:26
I had a Gen 2 556R since they came out. They added a metal shelf to stop the wear from metal mags and other changes mentioned. I have the MI folding sight set on it along with an Aimpoint PRO and it's a great rifle, shoots well (Wolf and other surplus mostly) and accurately with no issues so far. I'm waiting for my Sig SRD762TI can to come out of NFA jail so I can try it on the 556R, but think i'll have to drill some smaller gas ports on the other side of the regulator to avoid potential gas to face issues.

As for mags I have surplus steel eastern bloc, bakelite, and magpul which all function flawlessly.

Bret
08-06-15, 16:29
or buy an Arsenal AK.
Not to side track here, but that's not a given. I can tell you from first hand experience that the monkeys they use are no better than the ones at Century. The difference is that Century's customer service is actually better.

ndmiller
08-06-15, 17:02
The "or" part is what irks me.....Who uses "or" when talking about $1000+ rifles? Buy the Sig 556R and the Arsenal AK and all the other rifles that are a blast to shoot with cheap surplus ammo. If we all used "or", the firearms industry would have gone belly up years ago.

Imagine buy a Glock 19 or a Glock 26? A Les Baer 1911 or a Springfield Armory one? A 4" revolver or a 2"? A black holster or a brown one? Sacrilege and Crazy talk I say.

shoresroad
08-20-15, 15:48
They added a metal shelf to stop the wear from metal mags...

Didn't know about this, thanks. I will make sure and use only my Pmags from here out.