PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Carrying Glock 43

DWood
06-11-15, 19:37
Are any of you 43 owners carrying in your front pocket? There are times when I just want to pocket carry. I carried my LC9 in a jeans pocket for almost a year before going back to my G19 in an OWB holster. The sharp sights on the Ruger wore a hole in my pocket (EDIT TO ADD: I didn't stop carrying just because of this; wanted to go back to a Glock).

Now that I have a G43, I would like to be able to drop it in a pocket occasionaly (quick errand, etc). It is slightly bigger than my LC9 and doesn't seem like it's going to work in anything but cargo pants. I tried a Sticky Holster, but the holster comes out of the pocket with the gun, and the combination is too bulky for jeans.

I came across this review for BORAII holsters and I'm going to give this a try. I searched here and TOS for BORAII with no results. I ordered 3 last night for a couple of friends and myself. They are $18 each with $2 shipping for the entire order. I'll post the results once I try it out. The origin of the company name is interesting; Bill Of Rights Amendment 2.

BORAII Review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H48-UdSQoY8)

BORAII For Glock 43 (https://www.boraii.com/store/p15/BORAII_EAGLE_POCKET_HOLSTER_for_the_GLOCK_43_9mm.html)

The BORAII Eagle seems promising. http://<a href=http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/DWood13/Glock%20BORAII%20On%2043_zps5k0cbpcq.jpg</a>" />

The G43 and BORAII Eagle go in a jeans pocket quite nicely. I most often wear jeans and want to be able to pocket carry on occasion, rather than my normal OWB carry. It looks like a square object in the pocket, like today's larger cell phones. With a shirt covering half the pocket it does not scream "gun".

http://<a href=http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/DWood13/G4320In20Pocket_zpsniuxi2rv.jpg</a>" />

HighDesert
06-11-15, 23:09
How are you going to draw that from your jeans while sitting?

saints75
06-11-15, 23:13
Keep us updated. I am looking to invest in a Glock 43. I would like to pocket carry it. I wear jeans most of the time and I am interested to see the results.

saints75
06-11-15, 23:22
So I checked out their website. It looks like they specialize in pocket carry. I had no idea you can carry a Glock 26/27 ;) It looks like an interesting holster and the price is not bad. I would like to see a review in a couple of days ;)

JaegerOne
06-11-15, 23:34
The sights on your Ruger tore your pocket up. What do you think that style, with front and rear sights exposed, will do different?

DWood
06-12-15, 11:23
The sights on your Ruger tore your pocket up. What do you think that style, with front and rear sights exposed, will do different?

Maybe I gave the wrong impression that I stopped carrying the LC9 because of the sharp sights. I just decided to go back to a Glock for EDC. Had I decided to stay with the Ruger I would have changed sights (not many options) and melted the edges if they were sharp.

The BORAII sits lower in the pocket than the LC9 in a Blackhawk holster. I am going to put Ameriglo Spartans on and don't believe they are as sharp as the Ruger. If I decide I like it for carry, I will see what happens with sights against fabric and go from there.

I only plan on using this occasionally (quick errand, etc) so it won't be rubbing all day.

WickedWillis
06-12-15, 14:41
I have exclusively been carrying my G43 in a desantis pocket holster.

PatrioticDisorder
06-12-15, 15:08
I have exclusively been carrying my G43 in a desantis pocket holster.

I use the superfly, I'm not a big fan of the nemesis as it tends to pull out of the pocket when drawing. Superfly is well worth the added price, it is THEE holster to pocket carry with IMO.

DWood
06-12-15, 15:53
have either of you carried them in jeans? Or are you carrying it in something bigger with bigger pockets?

PatrioticDisorder
06-12-15, 16:08
have either of you carried them in jeans? Or are you carrying it in something bigger with bigger pockets?

I generally wear cargo shorts when not in professional attire, occasionally I will wear jeans but haven't carried the 43 in the pocket of jeans, I've tried jeans on with the 43 in the superfly and it is doable, albeit difficult to draw from. I use an el cheapo uncle mike's fabric holster to appendix carry the 43 to and from the gym:

DWood
06-12-15, 16:33
occasionally I will wear jeans but haven't carried the 43 in the pocket of jeans, I've tried jeans on with the 43 in the superfly and it is doable, albeit difficult to draw from......

Thanks, I suspected that would be the answer.

Malamute
06-12-15, 16:53
Maybe I gave the wrong impression that I stopped carrying the LC9 because of the sharp sights. I just decided to go back to a Glock for EDC. Had I decided to stay with the Ruger I would have changed sights (not many options) and melted the edges if they were sharp.

The BORAII sits lower in the pocket than the LC9 in a Blackhawk holster. I am going to put Ameriglo Spartans on and don't believe they are as sharp as the Ruger. If I decide I like it for carry, I will see what happens with sights against fabric and go from there.

I only plan on using this occasionally (quick errand, etc) so it won't be rubbing all day.

I've worn holes in the pocket of my Carhartts many times. I stitch them up and keep going, but pocket material (even Carhartt) isnt very sturdy. I recalled reading that some guys in the late 1800's would have their pockets lined with canvas to carry guns. It didnt quite register when I read it until I started wearing holes in pockets. I bought some canvas from a tent maker and plan to line or wrap it around the pocket on some of my pants.

BTW, Carhartt pockets are a bit larger and much easier to carry in and draw from.

WickedWillis
06-12-15, 16:55

Yes I carry in levi's 90% of the time.

T2C
06-12-15, 17:01
If you were to drive an automobile a long distance, front pocket carry may not be your first choice. How comfortable is the holster carried in a back pocket?

WickedWillis
06-12-15, 17:39
If you were to drive an automobile a long distance, front pocket carry may not be your first choice. How comfortable is the holster carried in a back pocket?

My personal experience, that back pocket would be a no-go. I put the gun and holster in between my seats right next to me when I am driving.

DWood
06-12-15, 17:50
My personal experience, that back pocket would be a no-go. I put the gun and holster in between my seats right next to me when I am driving.

I don't find front pocket carry uncortable while driving. In my truck, I can actually draw pretty easily by extending my right leg and raising my right butt cheek off the seat.

I agree about the back pocket being a no go, at least for me. Since I already have the Sticky Holster for the 43, I may get their travel mount and slap it on my center console down by the driver's right knee. The video in the link shows how it works. It would be easy to just slip the gun into the console mount when getting in the vehicle.

http://www.stickyholsters.com/products/travel-mount

DWood
06-13-15, 11:11
After carrying it in the front pocket of Wrangler jeans for a couple days, I believe the Boraii Eagle will work for me for the times I want to pocket carry it. My Glock 19 in OWB X-Concealment holster is still my primary EDC. I offer this info to those who also want to pocket carry a 43 and understand the limitations VS OWB or IWB. This is not a depate about pocket carry being a good or bad idea.

1. The 43 / Boraii sits lower in the pocket than my LC9 / Blackhawk pocket holster. This is a plus as the grip does not peek out the top at any time.

2. It leans slightly forward at the top (rear of slide ahead of muzzle) and does not shift around. Although it sits low, the rear sight does press against the pocket liner and may wear a hole. The front sight does not seem to be a problem. These are factory sights. I will reevaluate after I install Ameriglo Spartans. My LC9 sat higher and wore a hole in the liner and the denim but those sights are very sharp.

3. It is comfortable to wear, even sitting.

4. As everyone who pocket carries knows, it is not as easy or fast to draw as your OWB or IWB carry holsters. You are not going to draw and get a shot off in a second. That is a given. It is possible to draw reliably with a little practice. Since it leans slightly forward, pulling straight up may cause the rear of the slide to catch on the front edge of the pocket. I found it best to pull the whole rig straight back, and then pull straight up while keeping the backward pressure. The hook on the holster will catch on the rear of the pocket and clear the pistol from the holster. Sometimes the holster drops to the ground and sometimes stays in the pocket. It doesn't matter to me since you never reholster in the pocket. I would not recommend adding a lanyard as I only see that complicating getting the pistol out of the pocket.

5. Boraii says it works best with heavier fabrics and I believe that to be true. I don't think it will be easy to clear the pistol from the holster in lightweight, loose fitting pants like basketball shorts or sweats.

6. It looks like a blocky object in the pocket and is not obviously a gun. It's a little bulkier than the Galaxy Note 3 carry in my other front pocket. I will still wear a cover shirt that covers the top half of the pocket for even better concealment.

7. You still have to address how you will carry spare magazines. I will not carry the 43 without at least 1 extra mag. I will add the Ghost +2 extensions when they come out and use a kytexgear.com mag holder on the support side (or maybe two since the design is only as wide as the mag itself and takes up very little belt space).

8. The barrel is wide open for lint and pocket debris to find its way in to the muzzle. Problem? I don't know. We'll see.

If you want to pocket carry I think this will work for you if you wear jeans or cargo pants that are a little heavier and closer fitting than sweats. If it doesn't work out you're only out $20.

saints75
06-13-15, 20:43
Thanks for the review. I found it helpful.

armtx77
06-14-15, 19:29
When I think of pocket carry, I think of the micro .380's. People can laugh all they want, but none will offer to take 6 from one at point blank range.

The 43 to me, seems like a deep carry item. Something that is easy to OWB/IWB with relative ease and little to no printing.

foxtrotx1
06-16-15, 18:55
When I think of pocket carry, I think of the micro .380's. People can laugh all they want, but none will offer to take 6 from one at point blank range.

Do you know anyone that would offer to get punched 6 times in the face, let alone shot by any caliber? That argument is silly.

CommackBoy
06-17-15, 09:36
I pocket carry my G42 in John Jackson Leatherworks holster. Love it.

K.O.A.M.
06-22-15, 07:21
I have used my 43 on the range with a DeSantis pocket holster out of khakis/shorts. At least for how I dress, it does not print/protrude more than my Shield in a DeSantis. I'm waiting on my agency approval paperwork to carry it, but I'm not sure it's going to lead to the retirement of my Shield. Maybe as I cut more weight, it'll be different.

armtx77
06-22-15, 19:20
Do you know anyone that would offer to get punched 6 times in the face, let alone shot by any caliber? That argument is silly.

I understand what you are saying, but their are a lot of people out there that would rather not carry, than to have to carry a .3800...claiming the caliber is not enough.

I would rather get punched 6 times than take six .380 rounds...any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Hygienist
06-22-15, 21:56
I recently sold my G43, which I bought to experiment with pocket carry. I've never pocket carried before, so take my assessments with a grain of salt.

In relaxed fit jeans (specifically Levi's 559, if it helps), it drew easily from my inexperienced viewpoint. Note I didn't have a pocket holster to see if it drew easily from one, but I feel like it had enough room that a pocket holster wouldn't change it from being easy to draw. It wasn't super easy to draw from a pocket, but it was pretty doable. I'd guess most people on this forum are wearing jeans around this fit/size.

In tight pseudo-skinny jeans (specifically Levi's 514), it's just not happening. I'm not sure if a LCP would fit there either, but a G43 wouldn't be acceptable by the most permissible of standards. I really doubt anyone on this forum is wearing jeans as tight as these, tough.