PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to upgrade stock AR

TN cop
07-18-08, 13:00
I've got a bone stock Armalite 16" middy and I finally have some extra money to upgrade it. While I realize any add-ons are mostly personal preferance, I'd still like some opinions from the guru's here. This is what's on the wishlist as of now:

YHM EoTech Riser
EOTech 512.A65 Rev F
Daniel Defense 9.0 Omega Rail
Magpul CTR Carbine Stock Mil-Spec
Magpul XTM Rail Panels
Troy Rear Folding Battle Sight or Midwest Industries SPLP Flip-up Rear Sight (is there a real difference between the two, other than price?)
Magpul MIAD Basic or Magpul MOE Grip
Tango Down Vertical Grip or Tango Down Quick Detach Vertical Grip (will the regular grip lock tight on the DD rail above?)
Specter Gear MOUT Sling (will this be practical for a patolman?)
SureFire X300 (if I am able to get a regular Surefire tape switch; I need one that will affix to the vertical grip.)

Thanks for you input!

rob_s
07-18-08, 13:10
I've got a bone stock Armalite 16" middy and I finally have some extra money to upgrade it. While I realize any add-ons are mostly personal preferance, I'd still like some opinions from the guru's here. This is what's on the wishlist as of now:

YHM EoTech Riser
EOTech 512.A65 Rev F Not sure what you're planning on paying, but I'd go with an Aimpoint of some variety in a Larue or ADM mount
Daniel Defense 9.0 Omega Rail
Magpul CTR Carbine Stock Mil-Spec
Magpul XTM Rail Panels
Troy Rear Folding Battle Sight or Midwest Industries SPLP Flip-up Rear Sight (is there a real difference between the two, other than price?)I prefer the troy, although with red-dot sights I prefer a fixed BUIS like the Larue or LMT (or cut-down carry handle)
Magpul MIAD Basic or Magpul MOE Grip
Tango Down Vertical Grip or Tango Down Quick Detach Vertical Grip (will the regular grip lock tight on the DD rail above?)I'm still happy with the non-lever versions. Should lock up just fine on the DD Omega
Specter Gear MOUT Sling (will this be practical for a patolman?)I'd look at either the BFG Vickers sling or the Viking Tactics sling. These are the two top 2-points out right now and two-points are where it's at. I've run both and prefer the BFG version.
SureFire X300 (if I am able to get a regular Surefire tape switch; I need one that will affix to the vertical grip.)I'd skip the tape switch and just run the X300 alone as far forward on the port side rail (assuming your'e right handed)

Thanks for you input!
I like your list, with the exceptions/comments above.

TN cop
07-19-08, 21:33
I've shot an AR with an eotech, but only looked through an aimpoint while attached to an AR. While the battery life of an aimpoint is unreal, for me it's a trade off due to my dislike of the "tunnel view" I get while looking through the aimpoint. I prefer the eotech for the sight picture and also I find the circle/dot reticle faster to pick up. As far as the price goes I've found the 512 to be around $80 cheaper than a comparable aimpoint. The farthest shot I would make would be 100 yds, but in all reality most engagements will be CQB distances or possibly an inner perimeter. Thanks for your speedy response.

Any other views or thoughts are welcome and appreciated!

A square 10
07-19-08, 21:58
i gotta agree , im pretty simple in my approach - the eotech gives a real clerar two eyes open sight picture

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r188/Asquare10/mikesrifles005.jpg