PDA

View Full Version : Bottoms up Today is National Bourbon Day

UDT
06-14-15, 09:41
What are you drinking ?

THCDDM4
06-14-15, 10:49
What are you drinking ?

It's early, but it's the wife and my 6th Anniversary; so we've been a little fast and loose this weekend...

Just had a wee dram of whistlepig 12 aged in Madiera port casks. This is a wonderfully complex scotchy Bourbon. Love the port cask finish.

Will also get into some Four Roses single Barrel Select (OESV) later today. Then some pappy 23 year for dinner- got it as a wedding gift and only sip it on special occasions.

Slainte!

Hank6046
06-14-15, 12:00
What are you drinking ?

Buffalo Trace, its always one of my Favorites. I have a bottle of Angle's Envy but that is usually for special occasions.

soulezoo
06-14-15, 12:54
Later today opening a bottle of Rhetoric from Orphan Barrel.
20 y.o. No idea what to expect. Having a bit of Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit in the meantime.

davidz71
06-14-15, 13:22
Wild Turkey later this evening.

MountainRaven
06-14-15, 16:04
RoughStock Montana Bourbon.

Not as good as my usual Woodford Reserve, but decent. Particularly for something coming from as young a distiller as RoughStock.

BuzzinSATX
06-14-15, 16:58
I'll be having two fingers of Buffalo Trace as well. One ice cube mellows it out the way I prefer it. Cool but not cold.

Actually just got my first bottle a week ago. I'd heard much about it but never could locate it at my local base class XI store. It's as good as the reports, although I have to admit that a Texas whiskey has become my current amber beverage of choice. Made in a tiny distillery on the outskirts of San Antonio, it's worth the $50 a bottle if you have an opportunity to buy it:

http://rebeccacreekwhiskey.com

But hats off to Kentucky and the whiskey capital of the world. From Woodfords to Wild Turkey to the Beam Small Batches, Makers Mark, and the rest, keep distilling that corn and rye in those beautiful oak barrels, cause I personally would hate to have to drink Scotch for the rest of my natural life.

YMMV,

BuzzinSATX
06-14-15, 17:03
Buffalo Trace, its always one of my Favorites. I have a bottle of Angle's Envy but that is usually for special occasions.

I just started seeing "Angels Envy". passed it up for Buffalo Trace this time, as the wife gets on me for buying more than one bottle at a time...LOL!

I'll give it a try next weekend. You got a preferred cigar recommendation to mate it with? Something light like Dominican Monte Cristo, or maybe a toothy maduro?

FlyingHunter
06-14-15, 17:18
Thanks to this thread and OP for helping me be aware of the monumental importance of this day - Jameson 18yr, 2 fingers to celebrate!

ggammell
06-14-15, 19:28
Celebrating National Bourbon Day with Irish whiskey?

FlyingHunter
06-14-15, 20:54
Celebrating National Bourbon Day with Irish whiskey?

Good point. It was handy and went down just fine.

SeriousStudent
06-14-15, 21:01
A wee dram from a bottle of Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection that I have, and another taste from a nice bottle of Balcones Baby Blue that I had stashed.

Todd00000
06-15-15, 05:57
Had some Woodford on the roof of my new place in Italy.

Eurodriver
06-15-15, 06:15
Had some Woodford on the roof of my new place in Italy.

This is doing it right.

Guys, if you had to recommend a $50-$80/bottle Whiskey, what would it be?

I've recently become very keen on drinking neat Makers Mark and Bulleit, but they are still a little too cheap to ask for at certain places. On the other hand, I don't want something so exotic no one will carry it.

BuzzinSATX
06-15-15, 06:38
This is doing it right.

I've recently become very keen on drinking neat Makers Mark and Bulleit, but they are still a little too cheap to ask for at certain places. On the other hand, I don't want something so exotic no one will carry it.

The more expensive bourbons are small batch/single barrel and/or aged. If you like Makers, perhaps try the Makers 46. But just because something is more expensive does not mean you'll like it more...and to be honest, the Buffalo Trace I tried recently, at around $20 a bottle, is one of the nicest sipping whiskeys I've had for my taste.

YMMV.

Todd00000
06-15-15, 06:44
The more expensive bourbons are small batch/single barrel and/or aged. If you like Makers, perhaps try the Makers 46. But just because something is more expensive does not mean you'll like it more...and to be honest, the Buffalo Trace I tried recently, at around $20 a bottle, is one of the nicest sipping whiskeys I've had for my taste.

YMMV.I had a $70 a shot wHiskey and it was good just not that good. I stick with Jack, Woodford, Makers, 4 Roses, and Buffolo Trace because it can be expensive to experiment a bottle at a time.

THCDDM4
06-15-15, 08:01
This is doing it right.

Find yourself a bottle of Four Roses single barrel select (as in the barrel was selected specifically by your local liquor store whiskey buyer and bottled especially for that store) and you will be drinking good whiskey.

Typical price is anywhere from $50-$90.00/bottle and it is good stuff.

Whistlepig 10 yr is about $70.00/bottle and really good stuff.

Angels envy is about $35.00-55.00/bottle and the port cask it ages in leaves a wonderful flavor on the finished product.

Elijah Craig barrel strength single barrel is quite nice if you like 67% alcohol bourbon bombs; about $60.00-70.00/bottle.

Find a local liquor store with a whiskey buyer who knows his stuff and talk to him. Usually at the bigger stores not little corner shops.

soulezoo
06-15-15, 11:27
I will add Knob Creek single barrel to that list above.

And Booker's if you need the heat. I drink it neat. (rhyme not intended)

brickboy240
06-15-15, 12:18
Nobody else drinks Bulliet Bourbon?

Too bad....you're missing out.

soulezoo
06-15-15, 12:20

I like their rye more than the bourbon... it is all subjective to the individual. I agree it is quality and worth trying; it's just for me that there are others I prefer.

Eurodriver
06-15-15, 15:01

Too bad you didn't read the entire thread.

BIGUGLY
06-15-15, 15:02
Basil Hayden and Iowa Bourbon from Cedar Ridge for 30 bucks its a darn good bourbon. But always hard to go wrong with some Basil

soulezoo
06-16-15, 09:53
Bought me a bottle of Willets last night. Have not tried it before but am looking forward to it!