PDA

View Full Version : Urban Camo?

Aardvark
09-28-06, 22:21
Right...like the title says, 'Urban Camo': what's practical, tactical, totally un-PC? What colors would one use, what patterns, etc? Pics anyone? I'm in Colorado and I see medium greys, brick reds, tans in the city...green on the vegitation, flax colored grasses and asphalt. Honestly, I think the amoeba pattern of dark grey, mid grey, light grey is uber gay. The city isn't curved, it's angular, so that pattern leaves some to be desired. Block pattern in multi-colors? Toss some ideas out there folks! I'm bored and 4 beers/1 rum into the wind! Excite the senses! Why am I asking?: no other reason than that the ugliest, most hostile, unforgiving environment is the big city where human preys on human and we are at the mercy, not of the predator, but of ourselves and our willingness to stand up and fight back.

K.L. Davis
09-28-06, 23:26
I saw a PD sniper that had a Ghillie (no kidding) that looked like a pile of trash :confused:

TigerStripe
09-29-06, 01:21
ACU.

Ts

nyeti
09-29-06, 01:44
When I worked a crime suppresion detail in the past, my partner and I used the old night desert camo smocks quite a bit. THey were the black and green checkerboard pattern, and worked very well at night. They were also easy to don over our regular uniforms.

Bonk2029
09-29-06, 09:41
Ditto on the old "night desert". The jackets are cut really large, check the local surplus stores and find one cheap.

That said, 5.11 makes a "TacPatt" for Brigade Quartermaster that we tried out at range, and it positively disappears on concrete. 4 colors, light gray to black, in kind of a MarPat-ish theme.

TigerStripe
09-29-06, 15:07
I'd like to find some old night desert myself...

TS

Al U. 5811
09-29-06, 21:25
TS - I picked up a night desert parka with liner a couple of years back from a company in Georgia. I don't remember the name. I found it in the back of Shotgun News or Gunlist. Anyway it said surplus $11 + $5 S&H so I took a chance. It came and was new/unissued. I remember seeing alot of them a few years ago. Most have dried up.

TigerStripe
09-29-06, 22:57
I'll peruse my Shotgun News and maybe do a google search on it. Thanks!

TS

Aardvark
09-30-06, 10:36
I've got a couple of old night desert smocks laying about; one used, one new. Both were sized humongous, but that was 30-50lbs ago so they might be better fitting now. I like them for dark/night time needs, but there's still the open daytime requirements. I like the ACU also, but it's still a bit bright in colors and would blend better with greys than dark tan/brick reds of course. Ideas are growing tho...

C4IGrant
09-30-06, 11:11
ACU seem to be about the best color/style combination for urban warfare that I have seen.

C4

K.L. Davis
09-30-06, 22:42
One thing to keep in mind about the older Desert/Night Smock... is that they were designed to camo the wearer from being seen by old school NVDs (that is why the cross hatch pattern.

They don't really work so well against anything else.

nyeti
09-30-06, 23:39
While not perfect, that cross hatch pattern worked great when blended with any kind of chain link fence. Anytime my partner and I could find some chainlink, a little foliage, and a trash dumpster, we were like ghosts.

Again, my view was strictly for urban police work, and the military side would be different.

SuicideHz
10-04-06, 09:45
When the night desert camo came out I was too young to be buying it for myself but wish I could get a pullover now!

Let me know where if you guys find one.

BTW- yesterday was my 30th Bday. That stuff is old- 20 yrs maybe?