PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Looking For In A Battle Belt?

Hayseed
06-15-15, 22:46
Let me provide some background. We are two former Recon Marines who are looking to bring something new to the gear table. One item of gear we have bitched about for years is belts; our battle belts have always sucked. We've bought many, never found what we wanted. So we are looking to revolutionize the industry. Sure, many have said that before, but I believe we have a pretty good plan.
That being said, we want feedback. If you had the opportunity to make your own Battle Belt, what would you want innovated into the design? What would you keep?

ruchik
06-15-15, 22:52
I'd want a battle belt that incorporated inner belt loops instead of the traditional non-slip material or velcro that attaches to another velcro inner belt. I want to be able to take my inner belt off, then just thread it back through my pants belt loops and the loops on the inside of the battle belt. The SORD Combat Belt is an example of this, but I'd prefer a more substantial molle field.

jpmuscle
06-16-15, 02:02
I'd want a battle belt that incorporated inner belt loops instead of the traditional non-slip material or velcro that attaches to another velcro inner belt. I want to be able to take my inner belt off, then just thread it back through my pants belt loops and the loops on the inside of the battle belt. The SORD Combat Belt is an example of this, but I'd prefer a more substantial molle field.

I can see the utility in this for sure. One thing I'd add to this is to do a lightweight molle platform on the outside similar to the Crye MRB. No extra padding, no fluff, just a stable molle platform.

thekersh86
06-16-15, 04:34
Lightweight, low profile inner and outer belt combo. No idea for a new high speed mounting solution, but that would be a great spot for something innovative. In my head I picture some sort of low profile pants belt through the pant loops, then when you need to kit up it is a matter of attaching the thin and light weight war belt over/to that. Quick, secure, and stable. I do prefer three rows molle, at least towards the back. Would like to see something like that without the giant padded thick war belt. Perhaps some sort of rigid skeletal outer war belt type thing, a la Crye skeletal cummerbund. Then the matching inner belt with quick attach/detach hardware. Kydex may play a role somewhere in the rigidity and/or the mounting hardware.

Obviously I have not put a lot of thought into this, but these are the first things that come to mind. Let me know if you need clarification, otherwise I'll go pound sand. Good luck guys.

jpmuscle
06-16-15, 04:50
OP I call dibs on helping with the beta testing when the time comes.

burgeman
06-16-15, 08:25
Let me provide some background. We are two former Recon Marines who are looking to bring something new to the gear table. One item of gear we have bitched about for years is belts; our battle belts have always sucked. We've bought many, never found what we wanted. So we are looking to revolutionize the industry. Sure, many have said that before, but I believe we have a pretty good plan.
That being said, we want feedback. If you had the opportunity to make your own Battle Belt, what would you want innovated into the design? What would you keep?

I have had a time and a half trying to find the right belt that would work for me. I spent several months looking over the various options for me to use on patrol in a medium sized city and the volund gearworks micro duty belt came the closest to what I am looking for. I want to have a rigid inner belt that has loop material and an outer belt that is just as rigid with hook material to be able to quickly get the belt on and off, and be stable. A cobra buckle was also part of my list, as well as stable molle attachments but also be thin enough for some regular duty belt pouches. Unfortunately Volund has stopped production for the time being and I am left without a black micro duty belt. If someone could take what they had and improve on it I would throw money at that company. I just want a stable, quick attach, lightweight belt that won't slide around.

EricTheRed
06-16-15, 08:49
Volund is still producing, they have micro and duty belts in stock right now (I am not affiliated with them in any way). That being said, I always welcome improvements from anybody so good luck to the op.

burgeman
06-16-15, 10:01
Just went to the page and saw that after I posted, great news

dylank0723
06-16-15, 20:45
Light weight, durable, some kinda stiffener like used in the hsgi belt, plenty of molle with the ability to run a drop system, affordable

Dist. Expert 26
06-17-15, 00:37
I don't have any groundbreaking new ideas, but I've always wanted a lightweight, rigid, slim belt with some system to keep it from sliding around. A cobra buckle is a must have, every plastic buckle I've ever dealt with was either weak or an absolute pain in the ass with gloves on.

Mr blasty
06-17-15, 06:51
Honestly, I'm trying to get away from the battle belt. I run all hsgi tacos and now that they have belt loop pouches, I just picked up a couple. If they work for me then I won't be needing a battle belt. Just got the BFG ultra light belt mounted dump pouch as well. I'm tired of the weight, bulk and battle belt moving around and ridding up every time I move.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Failure2Stop
06-17-15, 09:40
I would most prefer to have a no-PALS (MOLLE) system that is purpose-built, adjustable enough to encompass multiple requirements, work with a pack, and ride comfortably for long periods. PALS is dumb in a non-military context.

Malamute
06-17-15, 18:27
Sorry to interrupt. Mr Blasty, your PM box is full.

Mr blasty
06-17-15, 18:33
Sorry to interrupt. Mr Blasty, your PM box is full.

Cleaned it out a bit

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

rickmy
06-17-15, 22:09
I have been running a HSGI padded belt for 3.5 years (3-10 hour periods multiple times a week). In my opinion it must be used in conjunction with suspenders and a drop leg to anchor it in place. Ideally I would be able to get rid of the drop leg though I will always wear suspenders to offset weight. (2 bangs, 2 m4 mags, 2 pistol mags, Leatherman, dump pouch with gas mask, and breaching shotgun catch). I would also get rid of some of the HSGI padding (it gets hot in the summer but would still incorporate MOLLE for all of the pouches. I feel like HSGI missed the mark with their slim grip belt as pouches only thread through one row of MOLLE and would move around. On a future design I would like to see 4 integrated belt keepers.

More than happy to try something new out.

Alpha-17
06-17-15, 23:04
I have been running a HSGI padded belt for 3.5 years (3-10 hour periods multiple times a week). In my opinion it must be used in conjunction with suspenders and a drop leg to anchor it in place.

Huh, I don't have as much time with the HSGI belt as you (had mine for a year or so), but I've not found it necessary to anchor it in place with anything but the belt.

L84Cabp
06-18-15, 01:36
To me, the things that make a battle belt good are also what make them bad. The padding helps manage the weight of the gear but it also makes the belt bulky and hot. And that bulk has a tendency to ride up if the belt isn't anchored somehow. These days I'm tending to skip the bulky battle belt in favor of a simple low profile 1.75" cobra belt. It's lower profile, not as hot, more secure and I'm able to carry all the gear I need. I'm not missing the padding enough (so far) to go back.

soulezoo
06-18-15, 09:02
A few things already mentioned that I will second.

A stiff inner belt that is easily removed to use by itself if I want.

Cobra buckle

Usable beneath the PC

For all that is good in heaven's name, one that stays put, does not ride up nor have the "sag" in the molle system.

I am one that likes the padding for the most part.

HighSpeedGearCS
06-18-15, 10:40
May I suggest running the HSG Clip behind both rows of MOLLE on the Slim Grip then weaving it behind the last row on the pouch for more stability.

Thank You for the points mentioned I will forward them.