PDA

View Full Version : Mount selection

matt86
06-15-15, 23:38
I'm building a recce and plan on using a Vortex PST 1-4x24, what mount should I go with? I'm new to the precision shooting thing. I don't want to pay a ton, its more for fun so I'm looking at $150 or less.

hotrodder636
06-16-15, 15:46
May be a few buck more, you can find them on sale though, American Defense mount if you are looking QD. I like my Larue just doesn't lock up as solid as my AD.

matt86
06-16-15, 18:13
I was also looking at the ADM. Just not sure if I need the qd, the scope will probably never come off, I'm mainly debating between the ADM and Vortex, there's about a $70 difference. If it's worth the extra money I'll spend it, just curious of what the extra money will get me.

hotrodder636
06-17-15, 18:10
If you are not looking for QD, then I would not focus too heavily on the AD. There are many good sets of rings/mounts out there.

Krusty783
06-20-15, 11:07
Aero Precision makes a nice non qd mount in 1" & 30mm. The Burris PEPR is quite popular and you can pick one up for $80 or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

cbx
06-23-15, 15:42
How do you shoot? Nose to charging handle or not?

Pepr is good. But it's up high over 1.6" if you like a low cheek weld there are better choices. If the optic has less than 4" relief and you run a long length of pull you can't get it back far enough either with a buis or offset rear sight.

Leupolds mark 2 mount is $89 I Amazon. If you don't need qd, its 1.4" high, slick on the left side for sling carry comfort with just a t shirt.

Lots of ring choices. The aero looks good too, it's 1.5" high.

Armalite makes a really low mount too for that $80 range.

If you have to have qd, skies the limit. Lots of choices there.

For you, I'd pick either a pepr or a mark 2 IMS, or an aero extended. Depends on how you hold you gun as to which.

If you need qd then pick your flavor.

matt86
06-23-15, 21:43
I don't shoot ntch, maybe an inch or two back from it. I prefer a lower height. The leupold looks pretty good.

henschman
06-25-15, 03:22
YHM extended riser with Vortex Tactical low rings. It is lower than just about any one piece mount out there, and was the perfect solution for cheek weld and eye relief for me. It is also very light.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk201/henschman/guns/image_zps2caa7e55.jpg

Ole hoss
06-26-15, 12:42
I have been very pleased with the Warne ring mounts. Mine are the EX.High, QD mounts, but you can get them any height, and with or without the QD.
Price on mine was around $65.00

cbx
06-27-15, 01:10
I don't shoot ntch, maybe an inch or two back from it. I prefer a lower height. The leupold looks pretty good.

Here's what a mark 2 ims looks like mounted.

I've ran it for about a month now. I really like the lower weld than the pepr. But then again this is a 3-9 optic. For the 1-4 it may not be enough relief. That depends on where you run the stock and where you put your head. The ims barely clears the buis, but those are going away soon and getting offset mbus.

I think if it came down to if you needed more height and relief than the ims for a more run and gun weapon, than a marksman type weapon, without spending over 100$ i'd go with the aero. Qd is nice, but re zeroing kinda sucks in my opinion.

Height/relief was my main factor, slick left side for being slung tight to my chest second, price third, and unobstucted turret view was last. It does look a bit dated compared to some of the other mounts.

Just a thought, but if you have a good store around, they'll probably kery you mount try different mounts.

Krusty783
07-05-15, 20:35
Aero Precision and JP make well thought out mounts with clean lines if you're not looking for a QD mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

556sniper
07-26-15, 18:00
Just ordered a Badger Ordnance unimount for my DMR setup. They seem like a great deal for a rock solid mount. I had a ADM recon on it and I was not happy with it.

rcoodyar15
07-26-15, 20:08
I know that this is just my opinion but I have gone through a series of different mounting options

The QD mounts are very popular. BTDT! Probably a good choice for a tactical fighting weapon. They just aren't rock solid enough on a precision rifle. I have a Larue in my junk box.

The one piece cantilevered mounts give great eye relief for the long eye relief lower powered scopes and they are rock solid. I have one but reality is I use 24X and higher magnification scopes on my precision AR's. I find a good set of high or extra high rings puts the scope where I want it. I mount it much like a bolt gun only higher because an AR doesn't have the drop at the comb. Badger Ordnance makes some bad azz rings. so do many others. Any good quality rings made for a Picatinny Rail System will work. I usually use nightforce but on my rem 700 I have a 20 moa badger ordnance rail and badger rings.

C-grunt
07-29-15, 03:00
I like my ADM. Had a Larue before that I never had a problem with.

rcoodyar15
07-29-15, 03:53
I like my ADM. Had a Larue before that I never had a problem with.

I said it was just my opinion.

What power scope are you using? What kind of groups are you shooting and at what range?

Fatorangecat
07-29-15, 06:43
Anybody here a fan of the Spuhr 3026? It puts the centerline of an optic at about 1-1/4" and it's a cantilever mount. I think I'm going to get one but the price tag is hard to swallow.

Junkie
07-29-15, 09:00
Ouch, $375 is pretty crazy for a mount. Not QD or anything either (whether or not you want QD it involves more machining). I wonder what size lens you can fit before you hit a typical handguard, and wouldn't be surprised if you need a round handguard with no top rail for most of them.

Fatorangecat
07-29-15, 14:38
Ouch, $375 is pretty crazy for a mount. Not QD or anything either (whether or not you want QD it involves more machining). I wonder what size lens you can fit before you hit a typical handguard, and wouldn't be surprised if you need a round handguard with no top rail for most of them.

As far as I can tell a 50mm objective will be snug right up to the the rail. I am using a 3-9x40 Mark 4 in an ADM mount right now and it sits way higher than I want. I cut my teeth on bolt guns and it's not uncommon to spend $300 on rings and a base then lap them and bed them. I'm just now getting into a precision AR and the quick detach mounts just seem like an extra variable. The common 1.5" to centerline also makes a poor cheek weld.

cbx
07-29-15, 16:07
Leupold mk2 mount is lower. Nightforce is like the mk2. Armalite is even lower.

If qd, adm and larue both make lower mounts

Fatorangecat
07-29-15, 17:26
Leupold mk2 mount is lower. Nightforce is like the mk2. Armalite is even lower.

If qd, adm and larue both make lower mounts

The Leupold is 1.5" to centerline, the Nightforce is 1.375", and the Armalite is 1.25". I like the height of the Armalite but it's not even close to the quality of a Spuhr. As for the ADM and Larue QD they are 1.5 and 1.44" to centerline. The Spuhr looks like the only quality mount that sits at 1.25". If ADM makes a lower mount please tell me the model number.

rcoodyar15
07-29-15, 17:40
The Leupold is 1.5" to centerline, the Nightforce is 1.375", and the Armalite is 1.25". I like the height of the Armalite but it's not even close to the quality of a Spuhr. As for the ADM and Larue QD they are 1.5 and 1.44" to centerline. The Spuhr looks like the only quality mount that sits at 1.25". If ADM makes a lower mount please tell me the model number.

the reason AR scope mounts are so high is the straight stock.

Your bolt gun has drop at the comb so you can mount the scope lower and closer to the centerline of the bore

Fatorangecat
07-29-15, 17:54
the reason AR scope mounts are so high is the straight stock.

Your bolt gun has drop at the comb so you can mount the scope lower and closer to the centerline of the bore

This is my first dedicated precision AR not my first time with an AR. I understand the anatomical differences between the two. The 1.5" corresponds to the height of a standard AR front site post. This may be great for reactive shooting with both eyes open but on a precision rifle with a variable optic it is too high. That's why a stock like the PRS has an adjustable cheek piece.

cbx
07-29-15, 22:52

Not sure your you got your data, but the mk 2 is 1.42" on height.

http://www.webyshops.com/brand/Leupold-Mounting-Systems-brand/LEUPOLD-Mark-2-IMS-30mm-Integral-Mounting-System-Matte-110291_2.html

cbx
07-29-15, 22:53
Adm info, on their website.

http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/5/

Larue makes a ton of different heights. I recommend browsing their site.

The spuhr looks great. I'm sure it would do the job also.

The armalite isn't fancy, but you can have a hand full of leupold or armalite mounts for the price of the spuhr. But the spuhr does things that the others don't.

Edit because my screen shots sucked.

Fatorangecat
07-30-15, 08:01
Adm info, on their website.

http://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/5/

Larue makes a ton of different heights. I recommend browsing their site.

The spuhr looks great. I'm sure it would do the job also.

The armalite isn't fancy, but you can have a hand full of leupold or armalite mounts for the price of the spuhr. But the spuhr does things that the others don't.

Edit because my screen shots sucked.

Let me clarify that I'm talking about cantilever mounts the ADM Recon, Recon X, Recon PB are all 1.47" the Recon H is 1.97" as for the Larue the LT158 is the lowest they offer at 1.44". Really I'm not sure I like the idea of quick detach anyway. I will probably cough up the cash for the Spuhr.

Junkie
07-30-15, 10:51
It might be lighter than you're looking for but I really like the Aero Precision that I have. The only problem is that it won't fit over the Matech BUIS that I was using in the back, but I might be able to clearance the sight to work.