PDA

View Full Version : Want to be humbled? Run with your gear

acjones20
06-16-15, 14:38
So I was having a great range session today, and I just thought that I'd incorporate some sprints into my training. Wow, what an @$$ kicker. I can knock out 3 miles without a problem, and I do HIIT and weights, but running in BDUs w/ a fully loaded Mossberg 590 and a Glock 19 was rough (the mid-90 degree weather didn't help). I just did some 50-100 yards sprints then some run and gun drills, and those hits get harder with your heart thumping out of your chest. I think if I could get my accuracy back to normal even with the running, my static accuracy would probably go through the roof. Beats a day at the office! Just something to try if you're bored!

Psybain
06-16-15, 14:55
I wish I had a range where I could do this

Abraxas
06-16-15, 15:16
Good stuff there.

FishTaco
06-16-15, 18:41
You'll probably get a nice hamstring pull or knee injury for added funness.

sevenhelmet
06-16-15, 18:58
Yup, puts a lot of that gear into perspective, doesn't it? Work up gradually- even a little added weight can cause injury if you push too hard too fast. It's a whole different sort of endurance from activities like running or mountain biking.

ABNAK
06-16-15, 20:03
Yup, puts a lot of that gear into perspective, doesn't it? Work up gradually- even a little added weight can cause injury if you push too hard too fast. It's a whole different sort of endurance from activities like running or mountain biking.

I have, in the last couple of years, began leaning towards a lighter profile in my weapons. I maintain a regular PT program but still recall how *nice* the M16A1 was compared to what it would be like to hump a 2015 AR with lights/laser/optic/railed handguard.

Alpha-17
06-16-15, 21:21
I had to opportunity to do just this, this past weekend at an Advanced Pistol/Rifle class. Weren't far runs by any stretch of the imagination, but even running a few drills back and forth were enough to get the blood pumping. Not something I want to do every day, but definitely something that needs to be done more.

Koshinn
06-16-15, 22:35
Does this have anything to do with a certain youtube firearms personality posting a video recently about just this thing?

TXBK
06-16-15, 22:46
I have got to get a rope strung up at my place.

acjones20
06-17-15, 07:49
Does this have anything to do with a certain youtube firearms personality posting a video recently about just this thing?

The only one that I follow that does this is Pat Mac, and I'm definitely not up to that level. I'm not really familiar with any others.