PDA

View Full Version : Looking for backpacking spots in Western Montana

Mr blasty
06-16-15, 15:37
I'm looking for a spot in Western Montana to spend about 5 days backpacking. I'm looking for something similar to glacier national park with mountains, forest, waterfalls, etc but with minimal regulations. Something like BLM land or national forest. I want little to no human contact and to be able to go do my own thing without having to use any retarded campgrounds. One key requirement is that it have stunning scenery and features. I'm not looking for an empty arid mountain or Valley.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Hank6046
06-16-15, 15:57
Lucky Bastard, I'd recommend a place on the Washington/Idaho border but thats further west. Have fun out there.

Mr blasty
06-16-15, 16:06
Lucky Bastard, I'd recommend a place on the Washington/Idaho border but thats further west. Have fun out there.

How much further? I just don't want to spend forever driving and eat up all my available time. I need this trip before I lose it. Life isn't so great right now. I'm going mid July. I was planning to go to glacier, but they closed half the damn park and it's all the spots I wanted to see.

Hank6046
06-16-15, 16:50
http://matadornetwork.com/trips/9-montana-backpacking-trips-that-will-blow-your-mind/

Try this, website. I was talking about Bowl and Pitcher and Riverside State parks in Washington just outside of Spokane, but after 20 yrs the city has moved so close I don't think it would be ideal. I'm sure you can find what you are looking for, I'd also look along I-90 into South Dakota and Wyoming, it was always more of a scenic drive than 94.

Ironman8
06-16-15, 16:59
What was the park closure all about?

I don't know exactly where to tell you to go, but if you're looking for little people contact, look into the wilderness areas in Montana such as Beartooth Wilderness and Bob Marshall Wilderness. There's no motorized access in wilderness areas so that may cut your traffic down. I would imagine that most parks get plenty of traffic and you'd end up not being able to "get away"...although most parks are where they are due to the views that you also want...catch 22. Either way, the wilderness areas may have some pretty nice long trails with nice views and possibly less people.

Mr blasty
06-16-15, 17:07
What was the park closure all about?

I don't know exactly where to tell you to go, but if you're looking for little people contact, look into the wilderness areas in Montana such as Beartooth Wilderness and Bob Marshall Wilderness. There's no motorized access in wilderness areas so that may cut your traffic down. I would imagine that most parks get plenty of traffic and you'd end up not being able to "get away"...although most parks are where they are due to the views that you also want...catch 22. Either way, the wilderness areas may have some pretty nice long trails with nice views and possibly less people.

Not sure exactly what for. Many of the best spots are completely off limits though. You're post is pretty much the conclusion I've come to as well. I'll look into those two spots you mentioned. Thanks

Mr blasty
06-16-15, 17:09
http://matadornetwork.com/trips/9-montana-backpacking-trips-that-will-blow-your-mind/

Try this, website. I was talking about Bowl and Pitcher and Riverside State parks in Washington just outside of Spokane, but after 20 yrs the city has moved so close I don't think it would be ideal. I'm sure you can find what you are looking for, I'd also look along I-90 into South Dakota and Wyoming, it was always more of a scenic drive than 94.

Thanks for the link. Looks like it might give me some good ideas. Id love to go to the black Hills but it's pretty crowded there for what I'm looking for this trip. You're definitely right about the drive.

WickedWillis
06-16-15, 17:15
I grew up in Northwestern Montana. There are several great hikes where I am from, and where I currently live in North Idaho as well. Most are not on mapped, but there's some incredible country, depending on where you go. The Bob Marshall wilderness is incredible as well. I went on a horseback riding adventure through there when I was a wee lad.

Ironman8
06-16-15, 17:25
Not sure exactly what for. Many of the best spots are completely off limits though. You're post is pretty much the conclusion I've come to as well. I'll look into those two spots you mentioned. Thanks

Good luck and update with pics. Hope this trip resets whatever stress you're going through. I backpack hunted elk in the Sawtooth Wilderness in Idaho last year during Rifle season (DIY) and getting away to the mountains was definitely needed! I'm chomping at the bit for my Colorado DIY backpack elk hunt this September (also in a wilderness area). Any time in the mountains is a good time!

Mr blasty
07-15-15, 16:49
Cancelling the trip. Thanks for everyone's help though. Although I'm not going, you guys definitely pointed out some things that I didn't know.

cbx
07-15-15, 17:02
Frank church wilderness. Definitely not crowded....lol.