PDA

View Full Version : Burris XTR 2 1-5. Any opinions?

equilibrium
06-16-15, 15:47
I want to get a good true 1x variable optic within the price range of 700-800. I came across the Burris xtr2 and wasn't able to find any true experiences. There was a YouTube video but I would prefer to here some experiences from those of you on here who have this scope.

SomeOtherGuy
06-17-15, 17:16
I've had one for a while and it seems like a very nice scope. I haven't used it that much so I can't say "it holds up to ___ " or anything like that. The glass is very good, the reticle is good, and the illumination is absolutely wonderful - the best illumination I've used (including when compared to the Leupold Mark 6 1-6x and the Vortex Razor 1-6x).

Wake27
06-17-15, 17:40
I'd love to know if its worth it over a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x. On paper it is, but haven't heard too much either and have been seriously considering the both.

SomeOtherGuy
06-17-15, 17:51
I haven't owned the 1-4x PST but I have owned several others in the series, and IMHO the XTRII seems to be a step above in terms of glass and perception of quality. Not having beaten any of them to death, I emphasize the perception, not any sort of hard proof.

Vortex has a new 1-6x coming out that might be worth a look if the lower price range is preferable.

Wake27
06-18-15, 02:42
I haven't owned the 1-4x PST but I have owned several others in the series, and IMHO the XTRII seems to be a step above in terms of glass and perception of quality. Not having beaten any of them to death, I emphasize the perception, not any sort of hard proof.

Vortex has a new 1-6x coming out that might be worth a look if the lower price range is preferable.

The price on that one makes me think it won't even be the quality of the 1-4 though. That, and I don't like the reticle as much. Price isn't a huge factor, I'm just trying to figure out if the XTRII is worth almost double the price, when the Vortex is known to be a great option at a good price. Thank you for your observations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SomeOtherGuy
06-18-15, 07:57
Here are two great deals right now on that general type of optic:

Steiner Military 1-4x24, $699:
http://www.eurooptic.com/steiner1x-4x-24mm-dm1-rifle-scope.aspx#

Trijicon Accupoint and ADM Recon mount combo (mount is worth $170ish):
http://dsgarms.com/kttr24-ad30?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Trijicon%20Accupoint%201-4x24%20BAC%20Triangle%20w/AD%20Recon%2030%20Mount&utm_campaign=6/16%20Retail%20Combat%20Flip

Both of these are extremely good deals on quality 1-4x scopes. The Trijicon doesn't have any sort of bullet drop compensator or mil grid, but it's also extremely light. The Steiner should have extremely good glass, and per specs it has a very wide field of view.

cop1211
06-18-15, 13:08
I've got the Steiner 1-4, and had the XTR, both are daytime bright, I like the Steiner more.
To me the Steiner had better glass, seemed to be built better, and had a wider field of view .
I also like the Steiner's simple Aimpoint like dot. I've been thinking on picking up a second one, at that price you can't beat it.

Wake27
06-18-15, 19:03
Was it the XTRII or the first one?

cop1211
06-18-15, 21:03
Was it the XTRII or the first one?

XTRII

Wake27
06-19-15, 00:16
Interesting, thank you.

Mate
07-08-15, 13:13
Bit of a necro but I've been using the XTRII since Feb. I've used it in Defoors carbine class, VTAC 1.5, and Dark Angel Meds Bullets and Bandages class. I've shot about 250 rounds per month on top of that at range days that I put together.

Pros - reticle is friggin bright
Off buttons between each power adjustment is nice.
Durability seems to be there. I've knocked it around plenty and it still works.
Battery life - I'm on the same battery since Feb, and note the amount I use it. I dry fire almost every night (most times unlit reticle though) and I've left it on plenty of times. *knocks on wood*
Zero stop is a nice touch.
Reticle is easy enough to use unlit. Especially indoors with a bright ass white light. Almost don't even need illum.

Cons -
Exposed Turrets - Burris, y u do dis? I'm not going to dial on a 1-5.
Weight - it's only a 1-5. Why does it need to weigh what it does?
Reticle could use more space in between the horseshoe and the dot. As of right now I just throw up the whole burning sun that is the reticle and slap the trigger. Would be nice to seperate the two a little more.
I've noticed some black specks in the lens now and I'm assuming it's on the inside since no amount of cleaning will get rid of them.

All in all I'm a fan. I'm no glass snob so it works fine for me at $719. I'd like to see capped turrets. That's my major gripe. I've banged it around a lot and only had it come loose once. Still...