PDA

View Full Version : Techwell

rob_s
07-18-08, 22:33
Anyone see this thing in the latest G&A?
Techwell (http://www.techwearusa.com/techwell_system.asp) magwell system for 1911s. Works with the grips instead of the MSH or bushings/screws to hold it in.

I'm pretty interested in it myself.

Robb Jensen
07-18-08, 22:41
It's a very nice magwell. Joe P. the guy who makes many of the shirts worn by USPSA sponsored shooters (including me) makes/markets the Techwell.

www.techwearusa.com
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=107

hp35
07-19-08, 10:48
Looks similar to the wilson magwell, only no hooks to keep it in place.
Is the only thing holding it on the pressure of the grips?

rob_s
07-19-08, 10:49
As I understand it, the grips and the well are aluminum. The well has hoks that stick up behind the grips, and the grips are relieved for the hooks to mate up with the grips.

At $150/set I'm not sure if I want to try them yet or not. Maybe at half the price.

theJanitor
07-19-08, 12:09
going rate to weld in a magwell is $225 -$250. i don't know if a permanent gunsmith install is worth it for you guys, but one of my colts has this mod and i love it

Boris
07-19-08, 21:08
Cool, but I'll keep my fitted S&A magwell.

-B

Eric Torres
07-20-08, 03:39
Rob,
I am considering it for my competition gun. Getting it in soon. I already don't like that I'm stuck with their grips. If you like, hold on until I try it and then I'll send it to you for you to check it out.

rob_s
07-20-08, 07:11
Rob,
I am considering it for my competition gun. Getting it in soon. I already don't like that I'm stuck with their grips. If you like, hold on until I try it and then I'll send it to you for you to check it out.

Awesome.

I had the same concern you did re: the grip limitation.

Eric Torres
07-21-08, 07:16
We are both particular about our setups.
My grip / mag well set up works and is the same with all my pistols so any change is something I have to seriously consider. As you know, I favor very aggressive grips (with few exceptions).

SIMPLYDYNAMIC
07-22-08, 20:54
Well the Grips are Allum. So its as easy as someone telling Joe and the gang to see if they can add in Stipling or some type of abrasive design into the program while they are cutting the grips... May up the machining cost a bit but would be worth it.
I would get a few sets if they did that.

Robb Jensen
07-22-08, 21:26
Well the Grips are Allum. So its as easy as someone telling Joe and the gang to see if they can add in Stipling or some type of abrasive design into the program while they are cutting the grips... May up the machining cost a bit but would be worth it.
I would get a few sets if they did that.

It would be cool if they could make it work with a set of Gunners! :D

Eric Torres
07-26-08, 12:46
Exactly, thats our current grip of choice.