PDA

View Full Version : Personal experiences with SWFA SS scopes?

20ozjolt
06-18-15, 12:31
basically I'm looking for a temp scope to get me to 1000yd in a training environment until I can afford german glass.

SomeOtherGuy
06-18-15, 13:07
I've owned examples of most SS models - which one are you specifically looking at?

The 3-9x is one of my favorites, and the 5-20x and 1-4x are excellent as well. The fixed power scopes are good and a very good value if $299 is the budget and you want something with decent glass and good adjustments.

el_chingoton13
06-18-15, 13:09
I have a basic rear focus 10x model. I have had no issues aside from it losing zero when I dropped the rifle it was on. I have no regrets using it as a temporary scope.

dmaxfireman
06-18-15, 15:19
I have had two classic fixed 10's which I replaced with a 3-9 and fixed 10 HD and have since gotten a 1-4 HD and 5-20 HD. They are great. I have never had a problem or complaint with any of them.

20ozjolt
06-18-15, 16:38
The loss of zero is a concern...

I was looking at the fixed tens I had not seen the 5-20 before. That might be a good option

A little background on me is I'm a handgun instructor and I have always wanted to master the challenge of first round hits at ultra long range, and yes I know this with be a long journey...

But I will get it, the fixed ten seemed like a simple option to get me to 300-700 where I can really began learning the quarks of LR before dropping 3k on good glass.

SomeOtherGuy
06-18-15, 16:54
The loss of zero is a concern...
I was looking at the fixed tens I had not seen the 5-20 before. That might be a good option
A little background on me is I'm a handgun instructor and I have always wanted to master the challenge of first round hits at ultra long range, and yes I know this with be a long journey...
But I will get it, the fixed ten seemed like a simple option to get me to 300-700 where I can really began learning the quarks of LR before dropping 3k on good glass.

The 5-20x is an outstanding scope in many ways. If that's in your budget, go for it. The Bushnell DMR would be another option in the same price range. Both of those have reliable, high end mechanicals. The SS has better glass.

If you are certain you will eventually want a $3k scope, though, you should probably just get it now. No point riding the "upgrade ladder" that so many of us do. If your know that you will not be happy unless the glass is German/Austrian, go there now. HOWEVER... the SS and DMR will not hold you back in any way, and in fact the DMR has been used by a number of world champion shooters. If you get one of those you may find that you never actually "need" the $3k scope.

turnburglar
06-19-15, 01:31
I'm a happy camper with my fixed 10x. I waited to get the milquad reticle and I am glad that I did.

20ozjolt
06-19-15, 01:34
I would love to drop 3+k on glass tomorrow but it did take me four years to build the dåmń gun lol the curse of my pay rate

SomeOtherGuy
06-19-15, 09:06
I would love to drop 3+k on glass tomorrow but it did take me four years to build the dåmń gun lol the curse of my pay rate

Get the SS 5-20x or the DMR and don't look back, because neither will hold you back. Both can be found lightly used in the $900-1000 range if you watch this forum and Sniper's Hide classifieds for a couple weeks. Both have any-owner lifetime warranties - and I've actually used the SWFA warranty and it was pretty smooth and quick.

bnanaphone
06-19-15, 15:31
I own three (6x42, 12x42 & 5-20) and all of them have been great. I run both of the fixed-power scopes on .22 rifles and the 5-20 is on my FN SPR A1. The fixed scopes have good glass and sufficient adjustments for my needs. The 5-20 is a fantastic scope with very good glass, adjustments and build quality. It has not handicapped me in any way to 800 yard shots (I handicap myself). I also have an IOR 2.5-10 FFP scope and the glass of the SS compares very favorably to the glass of the Romanian scope, I like the turrets of the SS more too.

I agree with the post above, either scope will be a great tool to get you where you're going.

dmaxfireman
06-19-15, 15:33
Decide how much magnification you need/want. The SWFA HD line won't disappoint you for the price they can be had for.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

colt933
06-19-15, 15:45
I've had a couple of the original fixed 10x scopes - a side focus and a rear focus.

Honestly, I thought the Bushnell 3200 10x scope was brighter, clearer, and had better fit and finish, at $200 than the SS scopes did at $300 and $400. And yes, the Bushnell has a 1" tube vs the SS 30mm tube.

I have no experience with the higher end SS scopes. But at the bottom of the line, there are cheaper, better options, IMO.