PDA

View Full Version : lemishine...

texasgunhand
06-18-15, 16:39
Iam having a problem finding lemishine that says the original on the front like i see in post.
I did find some that says detergent booster. I also looked on their web page and saw the booster but not (the original)..

Did they change packaging? Or is lemishine detergent booster the same thing? Sorry about asking such a dumb thing but i just dont see (the original) on store shelves,i did notice it said detergent booster.
So i bought the package that says detergent BOOSTER on it,did i get the right thing?

Thanks...

markm
06-18-15, 17:15
Looks like they simply changed the label.

texasgunhand
06-18-15, 17:41
Thanks mark,,even their webpage shows a different package. My first time buying made it confusing..lol

bigedp51
06-18-15, 17:44
The chemical that is in the original LemiShine is citric acid that cleans the brass and adds the bling.

You can go online and order citric acid or simply buy Kool Aid that is up to 97% citric acid and pay less.

Put a teaspoon lemishine detergent booster in a small glass of "HOT" water and dip the case half way in for a few seconds and see if it cleans and shines the brass.

The Consumer report webpage below states it contains "real fruit acids and natural citrus oil" (acidic acid)

Ad watchdog asks Envirocon Technologies Lemi Shine to clean up its claims

NAD also reviewed the Lemi Shine "natural active ingredient" claim. It found the claim to be true, though it advised disclosing the specific name of the ingredients: "real fruit acids" and "natural citrus oil." Consumer Reports still stresses that Lemi Shine, as well as Finish products, shouldn't be used with any dishwasher detergent that contains bleach.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/01/ad-watchdog-asks-lemi-shine-to-clean-up-its-claims/index.htm

What’s in Lemi Shine? – UPDATED (go to the bottom of the page written in red)
http://www.chemistry-blog.com/2012/05/18/whats-in-lemi-shine/

Below lemon-lime Kool-ais is 97% citric acid (page two)
Quantitative Determination of Citric and Ascorbic Acid W
in Powdered Drink Mixes
http://www.wfu.edu/chem/courses/jonesbt/111/SummerLab/Ref2.pdf

Onyx Z
06-18-15, 21:08
I think there is a difference. I found both when looking for it a while back.

http://www.amazon.com/Lemi-Shine-Original-12-oz/dp/B0047528HM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434679629&sr=8-2&keywords=lemishine

texasgunhand
06-18-15, 21:14
Who would have thought about kool aid but your right you can taste the citric acid if you taste the powder.
Definitely has that twang to it.. Got the stainless pins in in 2 days from that place you posted biged,super fast shipping for sure,thanks for everyones help in setting up for wet tumbling.
Ive been wanting to make the jump,seems like a lot less steps in getting clean brass.
Working it in corncob or even walnut doesnt get the inside very clean.
Lol, i just bought 25 pounds of walnut media 2 weeks ago and 15 pounds of corncob so iam g2g there.

Onyxz, yes i dont know if they repackaged or if theres a difference, their webpage doesnt show (the original). It now shows the BOOSTER. I just dont know the difference...

texasgunhand
06-19-15, 08:13
I set a rejected piece of brass in the solution, it took about an hour but its shiny. Guess this will work. Ill keep an eye out for the original and compare the two when i find some. Ill update the post , it worked but took some time to do so. Half an hour not seconds.

fedupflyer
06-19-15, 12:34
My local Walmart(s) has it.
Have to look hard because there are only a a few of them on the shelf.

markm
06-20-15, 19:51
Who would have thought about kool aid but your right you can taste the citric acid if you taste the powder.

For whatever reason there are people who make their own case lube too... with lanolin and IPA. People will go to great and irrational lengths, for God knows what reason, to make something that is just simple to buy.

jstone
06-20-15, 20:04
I have even heard of people using cream of tartar in there wet tumblers.

texasgunhand
06-20-15, 20:26
For whatever reason there are people who make their own case lube too... with lanolin and IPA. People will go to great and irrational lengths, for God knows what reason, to make something that is just simple to buy.

Lol, i agree i use imperial case wax. One tin last till you get sick of reloading or die of old age.

markm
06-21-15, 11:05
Lol, i agree i use imperial case wax. One tin last till you get sick of reloading or die of old age.

That stuff is good. But for bulk sizing, Dillon Case lube is infinitely easier to use.

Thump_rrr
06-21-15, 12:26

Unfortunately Dillon Case Lube in these parts now costs $17.99 a bottle.
A $10.00 bottle of liquid lanolin and a $28.00 gallon of 99% isopropyl Alcohol can make over 16 bottles of the stuff reducing the cost to around $2.40 a bottle.
I go through about 6 spray bottles of DCL a year.
It adds up quickly.

You hear people complaining about a $0.20 increase in a $3.00 gallon of gas. A gallon of DCL now costs $288.00 over here.

texasgunhand
06-21-15, 17:32
Iam going to have to get some dillon case lube. Ive never heard any thing bad about it.

Thumpr, i hear ya. I never thought bottled water would cost more than gasoline. Pretty soon we will be paying for air.

Waylander
06-22-15, 06:31
A $10.00 bottle of liquid lanolin and a $28.00 gallon of 99% isopropyl Alcohol can make over 16 bottles of the stuff reducing the cost to around $2.40 a bottle.
I go through about 6 spray bottles of DCL a year.
It adds up quickly.

You hear people complaining about a $0.20 increase in a $3.00 gallon of gas. A gallon of DCL now costs $288.00 over here.
This.
Case lube, gun lube and gun cleaners aren't made of magical substances. The companies that make them and mark them up 200% would have you believe they are.

Hoppes Elite is mineral oil. :D

ETA:
Back to the topic. You can also use a capful or two of lemon juice. It isn't what you're *told* to use though. :)

T2C
06-22-15, 07:15
Iam going to have to get some dillon case lube. Ive never heard any thing bad about it.

Thumpr, i hear ya. I never thought bottled water would cost more than gasoline. Pretty soon we will be paying for air.

I have used a lot of Dillon Case Lube over the years and still use it when reloading large quantities of .223. You should allow it to dry before resizing. For all of the larger rifle calibers, 30-06, 8mm, 7.62x54r, I use Hornady Unique case lube. I visually inspect each and every piece of brass closely and wipe them off by hand after resizing. I do not gain/lose any time by using Unique.

Thump_rrr
06-27-15, 00:29
I have used a lot of Dillon Case Lube over the years and still use it when reloading large quantities of .223. You should allow it to dry before resizing. For all of the larger rifle calibers, 30-06, 8mm, 7.62x54r, I use Hornady Unique case lube. I visually inspect each and every piece of brass closely and wipe them off by hand after resizing. I do not gain/lose any time by using Unique.
I also use Unique for any case sizing on my single stage.
A little goes a long way.
I resized and trimmed 1,000 30-06, for an M1919, through my RT-1200 using Dillon Case Lube with no issues.

FollowThru
06-28-15, 10:13
Lemi-Shine works well in the dishwasher too. :-)

noylj
06-30-15, 01:20
Lemi Shine is 60-100% citric acid, and 1-5% secret ingredient. How they can fit that in if the citric acid is 100% is beyond me.
The MSDS that comes up on their web site for Lemi Shine® Detergent Booster is their Lemi Shine MSDS, so it appears to be the same.
My only complaint is that they seem to think that EVERYTHING in their product is proprietary.
You can get 10 lbs of citric acid crystals for $24.95 on Amazon (~16 cents/ounce vs ~29 cents/ounce for Lime Shine).

noylj
06-30-15, 01:21
Lemi Shine is 60-100% citric acid, and 1-5% secret ingredient. How they can fit that in if the citric acid is 100% is beyond me.
The MSDS that comes up on their web site for Lemi Shine® Detergent Booster is their Lemi Shine MSDS, so it appears to be the same.
My only complaint is that they seem to think that EVERYTHING in their product is proprietary.
You can get 10 lbs of citric acid crystals for $24.95 on Amazon (~16 cents/ounce vs ~29 cents/ounce for Lime Shine).

ess45
06-30-15, 10:46
Anybody here using citric acid? Is your result the same as using Lemishine?

texasgunhand
06-30-15, 17:26
I believe biged51said it was. I think its in this link.

bigedp51
06-30-15, 18:02

What’s in Lemi Shine? – UPDATED (citric acid hemihydrate)
http://www.chemistry-blog.com/2012/05/18/whats-in-lemi-shine/

hem·i·hy·drate a crystalline hydrate containing one molecule of water for every two molecules of the compound in question.

markm
06-30-15, 19:40

Yeah.... same thing. If, for some reason, you have citric acid already, you could use that.

oldandslow
07-02-15, 03:48
I can't get Lemishine here in the middle of the Pacific so I have used other weak acids- Lemon juice works well and vinegar too. I've done about 7,000 cases, both rifle and pistol, with good results.

best wishes- oldandslow

Cap'n Crash
07-24-15, 12:54

Thump rrr,
where are you finding 99% isopropyl alcohol for $28 / gallon? Thats a great deal compared to what I've found around here.