PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Tool Cart

BIGUGLY
06-18-15, 22:02
Looking into getting a tool cart. Something that rolls and would have 5 to 6 drawers. No Snap-on or Mac, it won't be getting the drawers slammed everyday. Looking for something mid range and not low like the flimsy craftsman I just looked into today where the drawers wiggle and only have about a 20lb limit.

Would house many kinds of tool and power tools.

Thanks.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
06-18-15, 22:06
The new Milwaukee tool boxes from Home Depot are the cats meow my friend.

Averageman
06-18-15, 22:22
I built my own cart years ago and mounted my Craftsman roll away to the cart. I added an air compressor, hoses an extension cord bracket and a light. I found the step box out of a 113 mortar carrier and added it to the front and a 20mm ammo can for extras. Damn thing is heavy, but you get the idea.
Once I had rolled the wheels off of the roll away I had to do something. I must have had 600 lbs of tools in it.

Hmac
06-18-15, 23:12
I agree with the Milwaukee cart at Home Depot. Those are nice. Ball bearing slides, self closing drawers, full extension. I didn't care for the drawer arrangement (number of drawers), but that just preference.

I have a very nice cart system from Menards (36" MasterForce). That has worked very well for me for years. It's narrower at 36 inches which fits my space needs better, but taller and has more storage than the Milwaukee

http://www.menards.com/main/store/20090519001/items/media/Hardware/QCILI001/ProductLarge/2451522_2451524_36in_combo_red.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/59/59015297-4003-46e9-beed-0220e75f7d0e_400.jpg

Mr blasty
06-19-15, 06:23
Looking into getting a tool cart. Something that rolls and would have 5 to 6 drawers. No Snap-on or Mac, it won't be getting the drawers slammed everyday. Looking for something mid range and not low like the flimsy craftsman I just looked into today where the drawers wiggle and only have about a 20lb limit.

Would house many kinds of tool and power tools.

Thanks.

One thing to remember about craftsman is that they have different levels of quality. They have excellent boxes when you start going up in price.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

cinco
06-19-15, 06:52
Craigslist. Seems like there are always guys on hard times. Especially those who are either just starting or ending a career where they need to provide their own tools and boxes (i.e. mechanics).

GH41
06-19-15, 07:13
I have a Husky "Home Depot" box with ball bearing slides that is 15 years old and still going strong. The ones they sell today appear to be built the same. Before I bought new I would look at craigslist. The many listed on my local CL are high end boxes at reasonable prices.

AKDoug
06-19-15, 10:08
Craigslist. Seems like there are always guys on hard times. Especially those who are either just starting or ending a career where they need to provide their own tools and boxes (i.e. mechanics).

This. I have two Snap-On boxes that would be about $7000 at the Snap-On truck. I have $1500 into them. There are tons of good deals out there. On the larger box, I needed one drawer slide. I contacted Snap-On and they sent me new drawer slides for the entire box..free.

Mr blasty
06-19-15, 11:34
This. I have two Snap-On boxes that would be about $7000 at the Snap-On truck. I have $1500 into them. There are tons of good deals out there. On the larger box, I needed one drawer slide. I contacted Snap-On and they sent me new drawer slides for the entire box..free.

Transferable lifetime warranty. They do take care of there customers.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

MBtech
06-19-15, 13:38
What price range/budget are you looking at?

soulezoo
06-19-15, 13:51
What MBtech said...

Tool boxes vary so much in price... generally speaking you get what you pay for. That said, within the same price range on the low-mid scale, quality can vary quite a bit.

That Milwaukee box is very good for the price. An equivalent (in quality and features) Kobalt box will be about 40% more $$$ as an example.

Make a good effort at finding a second hand snap on box at a reasonable price. Some of those boxes cost $10k or more off the truck. But a mechanic loses his job and sells them for cheap. It happens.

Kain
06-19-15, 13:54
If you guys have the option. Sometimes local estate auctions can be a goldmine for tools, tool boxes, ect. Have seen some go pretty dame cheap with their tools. Then again sometimes they go higher than hell like most of the guns at those auctions. But sometimes deals can be had like $10 for and entire solid wood dining table set with chairs and hutch.

MBtech
06-19-15, 14:03
Also what kind of size? Are we talking 40-50" wide drawers or smaller. My definition of a "cart"is one I will roll around on a specific task ie a brake job, I will roll the most common tools to my lift and perform the job to save time going back and forth to my "toolbox" "chest" Just trying to clarify what we are talking about.

This is what I use as my "tool cart"

http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/MSC4SB/4-drawer-service-cart-stealth/

And as already mentioned as a tech myself keep a look out for guys that are retiring, changing careers etc that are selling Snap On, Mac, Matco.

BIGUGLY
06-19-15, 15:45
Price range was around $400. I have been looking at local area for craigslist finds but all the blue point, Snap-on and Mac are still in the 600 to 700 range. I would love to have a Snap-on especially since they are made about 45 miles from here but just too much and my dad won't part with his. His is still in great condition even after 25 years of use in a Case IH dealership.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Milwaukee, that thing sure has a lot of features for the price. any other recommendations keep them coming.

Thanks for all the help guys.

AKDoug
06-19-15, 16:52
Buy once, cry once. Isn't that the mantra around here :D ?

interfan
06-19-15, 23:15
Price range was around $400. I have been looking at local area for craigslist finds but all the blue point, Snap-on and Mac are still in the 600 to 700 range. I would love to have a Snap-on especially since they are made about 45 miles from here but just too much and my dad won't part with his. His is still in great condition even after 25 years of use in a Case IH dealership.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Milwaukee, that thing sure has a lot of features for the price. any other recommendations keep them coming.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Look closer to the first of the month and the prices drop a bit. This is true with a lot of used stuff.