PDA

View Full Version : VFG Recommendations

DrMark
09-29-06, 12:32
A friend of mine is looking for a VFG for the Troy rail on his S&W M&P15. I'm happy with my TD VFG, and I'm not really familiar with the other brands on the market.

What other VFGs, besides the TD, are quality products?

Thanks.

C4IGrant
09-29-06, 12:54
A friend of mine is looking for a VFG for the Troy rail on his S&W M&P15. I'm happy with my TD VFG, and I'm not really familiar with the other brands on the market.

What other VFGs, besides the TD, are quality products?

Thanks.

I consider the TD to be the best. I also like the Falcon Industries VG's as well.

C4

SinnFéinM1911
09-29-06, 12:58
TangoDown .. Hands - Down!

MudBug
09-29-06, 13:20
TangoDown .. Hands - Down!

Not if you don't like fat grips, and storage isn't a requirement.

I have the KAC, or the Promag KAC clone on all of my rifles.

SinnFéinM1911
09-29-06, 13:37
I really dont want to get into a pissing match, but for Quality, Durability, and Straight up some fo the best customer service in the Industry, TangoDown is the Best on the Market.

There are reasons why .Mil Units select it, and Many many other agencies / contractors use them.

Fat - That fit the Majority the Adults perfectly.

Storage - Requirment or not it is a option I'd like to have if the situation presents itself.

MudBug
09-29-06, 14:02
I really dont want to get into a pissing match

WTF, I didn't make fun of your girlfriend or the size of your penis, I just stated that it's just your opinion that the TD is the best, not a fact.

Other people (Like me) have a different opinion based on what we want and need. I know I'm not alone in not liking the TD, I didn't say it was junk, just that it's not what I and many other like and use.

See, Grant also likes the Falcon Industries VFG's, I fully trust Grant's opinion on stuff, and most of the Cav Arms guys use them, yet again, I just don't like them. I have found the perfect grip for me, and it's the KAC style VFG.

1911Gunner
09-29-06, 16:49
CQD is also a fine grip. I have one on my carbine, and I love it. Some say that heat and/or cold may be an issue but I have not found this to be so.

Solid lock-up due to 3 cross bolts. Nice machined from 1 piece of aluminum. GOOD unit.
Don

KevinB
09-29-06, 17:43
I've found myself going back to the KAC grip.

I've tried most out there -- I just found with a pressure switch taped to it and some grip tape on it the KAC the best fit for gloved hands. I did some comparative testing with some guys in my old unit and found the majority agreed. That said it due to its design - is not the most robust.

The TD while solid I find too "fat" and angled incorrectly as I feel the "fatter" zone should have been in the direction of fire - not across it. I wish Jeff had a skinnier option - as the barrel of broken KAC grips is annoying at most units ;)

I have no intention on putting anything in my vert grip to further shift the weight out front so the storage issue fo rme is moot.

Hoplophile
09-29-06, 18:35
I have no intention on putting anything in my vert grip to further shift the weight out front so the storage issue fo rme is moot.
paperwork that has been rolled up to fit in there doesn't add any noticable weight... ;)

DrMark
09-29-06, 19:06
Good input, guys. Much appreciated.

I forwarded a link to my friend so he can check it out as well.

dukduk
09-29-06, 19:37
paperwork that has been rolled up to fit in there doesn't add any noticable weight... ;)

like doctors notes in case someone from work busts u at the range while you're on sick leave

stuntmedic
09-29-06, 19:44
One more for the Dieter CQD vertical grip. Fits my hand perfectly and is the most stable one I have found so far.

Harv
09-29-06, 20:33
VFG's are a lot like underwear.... it's a personnel choice...

Me... I'm old school... I like the KAC grip. I like them thinner and I have no need for storage. Plus it;s easy on/off.

Try a bunch. pick the one you like

GYates
09-29-06, 20:59
I have had good luck with the KAC and the GG&G. The GG&G is a little fatter and seems a little more solid than the KAC. Like it was said just try a bunch and you will find the one that works best for you. You can always sell the ones you don't like.

Stickman
09-30-06, 17:53
I use, and have let others use my GG&G, as well as the TD. The TD seems to be more well liked by those who have large enough hands. The GG&G is liked by most, but it doesn't seem to have the raw appeal that the TD wears.

Erick Gelhaus
09-30-06, 19:25
I've used both the KAC and TD models. Even with my tiny paws, my preference goes to the TD product.

Erick

45-Bravo
10-01-06, 06:39
I prefer the KISS KAS VFG. I had a TD a few years ago and it just did'nt feel right. (to me anyway)

Grendelizer
10-01-06, 08:30
There's one that I tried at the NRA Show that I liked. It was rubberized like an Ergo grip, and was textured with a diamond pattern. Felt nice and solid and "grippy." Does anyone know the one I mean and who sells them?

John

M4Guru
10-01-06, 09:00
Grendelizer,

SOG Armory sells the VFG you are describing I believe.

Steve-HSA
10-01-06, 10:45
There's one that I tried at the NRA Show that I liked. It was rubberized like an Ergo grip, and was textured with a diamond pattern. Felt nice and solid and "grippy." Does anyone know the one I mean and who sells them?

John

Like this one?
http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/forgrp. (http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR3225&storeid=1&image=forgrp.gif&CFID=24966732&CFTOKEN=62291221)

I like these, cheap, rock solid mount, rubber grip surface is nice, and don't get hot after a day of blasting on a shorty M16.

ex_soldier1911
10-01-06, 19:56
I am very happy with the GG&G VFG. I chose the GG&G over the TD for a few reasons. It is CNC machined rather than molded, which might make it stronger. It has a battery compartment that holds either 2 AA or 2 CR123 batteries tight with no rattle. It has a lifetime warranty, and I like the way it feels.

http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=48

KevinB
10-01-06, 20:17
I broke another KAC grip today...

Grendelizer
10-01-06, 21:35
M4 and Steve, yes, thanks, that's the one. Upon doing further research, apparently it's also made by Falcon Industries, the Ergo grip people. This is good, because I love my Ergo pistol grip. I'm going to see if they make them in Coyote Brown.

John

Grendelizer
10-01-06, 21:44

Kevin, two questions: How did you manage to break it and would any grip have broken if treated the same, or is there a weakness in KAC's product?

John

Lumpy196
10-02-06, 11:00
I prefer the KAC over the TD. I have a scar knot on my left thumb thats perfectly oriented to the squarish corner of the TD grip. Whiney I know, but after awhile, it gets REALLY annoying.

Submariner
10-02-06, 12:00

coldblue posted once that if one were to send him a genuine KAC VFG that broke, he would replace it.

ETA: Has anyone tried a Grip-pod"?

KevinB
10-02-06, 12:01
John,

I'm not really sure how I broke it -- The majority I have broken, break where this one did on the area where it wraps the lower rail. I've seen a number sheered off at the "neck" as well -- I just got one back on a M249RAS that was done that way. I will put a pic up.

C4IGrant
10-02-06, 12:05
I prefer the KAC over the TD. I have a scar knot on my left thumb thats perfectly oriented to the squarish corner of the TD grip. Whiney I know, but after awhile, it gets REALLY annoying.

Good to see ya Lump!

C4

C4IGrant
10-02-06, 12:06
coldblue posted once that if one were to send him a genuine KAC VFG that broke, he would replace it.

ETA: Has anyone tried a Grip-pod"?

I have worn more of the knubs off the KAC VG's than I can count.

I tried the grip-pod thing and didn't care for it (too long).

C4

John_Wayne777
10-02-06, 14:30
Personally I am fond of the Tango-Down unit. It fits my hand well and works great with the pressure pad on my mounted Surefire light.

YMMV, void where prohibited, etc....