PDA

View Full Version : crony...advise

texasgunhand
06-23-15, 00:16
Can you guys recommend a good cronograph that will get the job done with out breaking the bank.
Its time to start figuring out how fast my reloads are flying. Kinda looking for an all in 1 kit,doesnt have to be fancy as long as it works. Any ideas?

joedirt199
06-23-15, 06:57
Shooting chrony is probably the cheapest route that will get the job done and not break the bank. Between my dad and I we have been using shooting chrony's for over 30 years. I have shot one and his broke after 20 years of service. I called the company to see if there was a fix for it. They color the bodies so they know what model it is. Sales guy asked and when I told him it was red he laughed and said they hadn't made that model in years. He was happy it lasted that long and offered $20 off a new one if I sent in the broke one so they could recycle some parts. There are obviously chronographs out there with way more bells and whistles but these have served me fine for my needs.

Bimmer
06-23-15, 13:27
I'm really happy with my ProChrono.

IMHO, the remote is a must-have, and the slightly cheaper version from the same company is so short on memory that it doesn't make sense.

T2C
06-23-15, 14:51
I have been using a Competition Electronics ProChrono for several years and have had good luck with it. http://www.competitionelectronics.com/product/prochrono-digital/.

You may be able to find a better price than the link if you look around.

texasgunhand
06-23-15, 15:35
Maybe saying not breaking the bank was to much in this case since they seem to be basically under 200,,thats not bad,i just want to by the best for the price is what i meant to say.

Thanks for the suggestions,anyone else want to chime in feel free. I will look them all up before buying.
Since they have to be 15 feets away, a remote seems like a great idea so you dont have to get up and walk out to it to check. Also do they come with a stand or do i need to build one?

I noticed some can be hooked to a PC i dont think i would need that. I wont be testing a 1000 different loads just my pistols,deer rifles and .223 for my AR. The one molon has with a printer is super cool,but that may be a bit advanced for my needs...

T2C
06-23-15, 15:58
My ProChrono did not come with a stand. I use a scope tripod. I measure 15' from the first sky screen to the muzzle and enter the distance and sky screen spacing into the ballistics software.

Failure2Stop
06-23-15, 16:15
MagnetoSpeed.
Easy, simple, minimal chance of you or someone else shooting it.
Have compared it to other well known and high end chronographs, and results are within 2 fps.

From Tapatalk:
Jack Leuba
Knight's Armament Company: Military/Govt Product Liaison
F2S Consulting: Director of Shooting Stuff

markm
06-23-15, 18:31
MagnetoSpeed.
Easy, simple, minimal chance of you or someone else shooting it.
Have compared it to other well known and high end chronographs, and results are within 2 fps.

That's what I run for most applications. We run all of our 5.56 loads out of the same Colt HBAR with a magnetospeed for good comparison. The only downside is that I have the basic model that won't mount to a can or an SBR.

bigedp51
06-23-15, 20:44
MAGNETOSPEED LLC - SPORTER CHRONOGRAPH $169.99 (my UPS tracking info says "in transit" ;)
http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/range-gear/chronographs/sporter-chronograph-sporter-chronograph-sku100-017-022-78977-163230.aspx

MagnetoSpeed Sporter chronograph
http://www.magnetospeed.com/products/magnetospeed-sporter

stinkyDrunk
06-23-15, 21:08
Started with a used Shooting Chrony. Got weird readings (or no readings) and gave it away after getting a new CED M2. CED M2 started giving weird readings after a couple years. Having discussed this with some shooters at a long-range match, picked up a Magnetospeed. Don't have as much time on it, but it's already my favorite simply for ease-of-setup.

texasgunhand
06-23-15, 23:42
Can you use the $170 magnetospeed sporter with auto pistols (glock,beretta)?
It looks like rifle only,, i love the idea , great concept but i also need it for auto loading pistols.

If not iam thinking of going with the competition electronics digital pro cronograph... Seems to be between those two brands..Both have great reviews.

Failure2Stop
06-23-15, 23:49
I have the V3, think that it's worth the cash. Best thing is that I can slap it on a rail and shoot with no effect on POI, which lets me get a whole lot of data without just wasting the ammo.

From Tapatalk:
Jack Leuba
Knight's Armament Company: Military/Govt Product Liaison
F2S Consulting: Director of Shooting Stuff

texasgunhand
06-23-15, 23:54
Wow,thats awsome , sound super easy to use. Especially in your line of work failure2stop.

Only thing is i also need it to work on auto loading pistols..i dont see that eith the v3 or sporter version is going to be compatible with autoloading pistols,unless iam missing it on their website.

XxWoodsHunterxX
06-25-15, 00:00
Go with a competition electronics digital. It also has a Bluetooth adaptor that connects to your phone for read outs.