PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Specific Precision Rifle

SilverCat
06-23-15, 12:01
Hello,

As a shooter I hardly do any long range work, focusing mostly on carbines/ handguns/mid distance shooting. I would like to change that, so I've been looking for an accurate bolt action .308 that won't break my bank. I've done a bit of research and have decided I do NOT want a Remington 700. I've heard good things about the Tikka T3s but am worried because most of them don't have heavy barrel profiles I don't think. Does anyone have much experience the Tikka?? How about other platforms that would fill my need?? Specifically better alternatives to the 700.

Thanks all!

Spooky130
06-23-15, 16:56
Look at the Tikka CTRs. Like the T3 but along the lines of the "tactical" 700s. I've read good things about them in multiple places - gun rags and online - and handled one in a shop.

A word of warning. If you like the tinker and want to change things up easily, consider the 700s. All the upgrades possible come out for the 700s. It seems it is easy to find decent smiths to work on 700s as well.

Also take a peek at the FN SPR line pretty good set ups on the Winchester mod 70 action.

SilverCat
06-23-15, 20:35
I looked up the ctr and it looks like a nice rifle, but I'm not sure about the shorter barrel.

I don't think a 700 is a great idea considering the current state of Remington, but who knows, maybe it's fine. Other rifles have aftermarket support, even if it isn't as extensive as the 700s.

I'll look into the FN now also, thanks!!
By the way, if anyone thinks another caliber like 260 or something would be a MUCH better choice, then I can consider it.

Dist. Expert 26
06-23-15, 20:48
I would look at Savages. Their triggers and stocks are good out of the box and they still have aftermarket support.

For a treasure trove of info on calibers and other platforms check out snipershide. You've gotta pay to be a member but reading is free :cool:

the_accuser
06-23-15, 21:34
I looked up the ctr and it looks like a nice rifle, but I'm not sure about the shorter barrel.

I don't think a 700 is a great idea considering the current state of Remington, but who knows, maybe it's fine. Other rifles have aftermarket support, even if it isn't as extensive as the 700s.

I'll look into the FN now also, thanks!!
By the way, if anyone thinks another caliber like 260 or something would be a MUCH better choice, then I can consider it.

What concerns you about the 20" barrel on the Tikka CTR? I have the .260 version and have no problems making hits out to 1000 yards. I need a little more scope to get to our 1250yd targets. I like the TRG magazine that the CTR uses. I can load my .260 rounds to almost 2.930". I don't think you'd have any issues getting the .308 to 1000 yards especially with the great selection of bullets today. Lots of great features to the CTR with a great price point.

Jason

ess45
06-23-15, 22:44
Howa barreled action Varmint
http://www.legacysports.com/barreled-actions

Manners Tactical stock

Mrshmitty
06-24-15, 03:09
Look into Remington which could be hit or miss, Savage, Tikka, or FN. FN I think are the most expensive of the group but I love mine.

SilverCat
06-24-15, 09:58
What concerns you about the 20" barrel on the Tikka CTR? I have the .260 version and have no problems making hits out to 1000 yards. I need a little more scope to get to our 1250yd targets. I like the TRG magazine that the CTR uses. I can load my .260 rounds to almost 2.930". I don't think you'd have any issues getting the .308 to 1000 yards especially with the great selection of bullets today. Lots of great features to the CTR with a great price point.
Jason

The ctr is starting to look better and better. What about the .260 option? I've read it's a better long range round, but how's availability? If I go .308 I know I will always have ammo available to me.

Shane97210
06-24-15, 11:45
Another vote for the CTR. 260rem is a much better option if you are mostly target shooting than 308. However, unless you reload it is not a good caliber to get into. Not much factory ammo available for precision on local shelves but plenty of places to order online such as copper creek. Cost and availability of quality ammo goes to 308. If you do not want to get into 260, get a savage in 6.5cm. Hornady ammo widely available at good prices in the 6.5cm

CrazyIrishman
06-24-15, 12:17
I'll second or third the notion of both FN or Savage. As far as good to go out of the box rifles these two have done wonders for me where others have only disappointed. My brothers FN spr shot as well out of the box as my fathers Pre-64 Winchester.... and I never thought Id find a rifle that shot like that stock-atleast in my life time. I do not have personal experience with the Tikka T3s but from what I've heard others say it is a fine rifle and will work well for pretty much anyone. Haven't heard any really negative comments other than their kind of hard to track down. As far as what others have said about the caliber I would agree with the notion of going with the 260 rem or a savage in a 6.5 creedmoor. They are very efficient cartridges and very flat shooting after a close friend introduced me to his 6.5 creed and explained how past 800 yards it hits harder than cartridges such as the 300 win mag, I was SOLD!

hk_shootr
06-24-15, 12:44
The FN would be my suggestion as per your stated desires

SilverCat
06-24-15, 15:38
It's like starting into ARs all over again, too many options and not enough first hand knowledge to know which is best for me.
Well now I think it's narrowed to the CTR which should be solid and with an EXCELLENT out of the box trigger and smooth action, but hard to find apparently. Also I'm considering .260. Then there's the Savage which is apparently a top performer and with the 6.5 creed option.
And finally the FN SPR which is apparently incredible.

I guess now I'll just try to figure out which one will fit me and my uses best.

the_accuser
06-24-15, 17:14
Finding factory ammo for the .260 is worse than trying to find .22LR...it pretty much doesn't exist. If you reload like me then you'll have no issues. If you want factory ammo then get the .308.

Dist. Expert 26
06-24-15, 17:45
^^This^^. If all you're worried about is competition, a 6.5 CM or .260 is definitely an attractive option, but I always take sustainability into account. My weapons are more than just toys to me; I view them as means for survival should, God forbid, our country fall into chaos. For that reason I chose the somewhat ballistically inferior .308, because I can walk into any gun store and find some ammo.

Now excuse me, I need to make a new tin foil hat :blink:

HKGuns
06-24-15, 19:16
I would add the Sako A7 to your list. Great trigger, well built and very accurate.

pyrotechnic
06-24-15, 22:51
They are very efficient cartridges and very flat shooting after a close friend introduced me to his 6.5 creed and explained how past 800 yards it hits harder than cartridges such as the 300 win mag, I was SOLD!

Sorry to divert the topic buy this is definitely not the case. Depending on thr loads used their trajectory mimic the 300 win mag loads, however the 300 will have way more ass when it gets where it is going.

Back on topic, the tikka CTR is an awesome choice with the .260 being great if you reload. Unfortunately it seems savage is the only option for a factory rifle in 6.5 creedmore, which is the more available 6.5mm round.

SilverCat
06-25-15, 16:09
Well I don't reload at the moment, so availability is important to me. I'll stick with the good old .308, I think I'm leaning towards the CTR at this point but the FN isn't off the table.

mark5pt56
06-25-15, 16:15
Dude, either buy the CTR or :suicide:if you go with a 700. The CTR is a solid rifle for the cost and chassis options are there for you.

SilverCat
06-25-15, 22:29
Dude, either buy the CTR or :suicide:if you go with a 700. The CTR is a solid rifle for the cost and chassis options are there for you.

Well the decision is made then, I'll get around to finding a ctr now, and choosing between stainless or no.

Thanks to everyone for the input!
I would have NO idea otherwise

mark5pt56
06-26-15, 05:16
Unless you are out in the weather, I wouldn't worry about the stainless model, especially if on a budget. That rifle will serve you well and double as a decent hunting rifle if you hunt. In that case it may be nice to have the SS. Check Eurooptic
http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-ctr-rifles.aspx

Shane97210
06-26-15, 09:36
EuroOptic is good to go! Great customer service, Do it!