PDA

View Full Version : Leupold VX-R or Trijicon Accupower?

TF82
06-23-15, 21:29
So, I'm looking to maybe pick up a 3-9 scope in the near future. The only real experience I have with magnified optics is my Eotech G33 but I recently decided to change up my rifle set ups. I previously had two 16" carbines one of which had a HBAR with irons and the other a SOCOM profile barrel with Eotech/G33. This combo didn't seem to make much sense to me so I switched the used HBAR to a light weight barrel and KMR and decided to put the Eotech on that rifle and add a scope to the much heavier SOCOM. 3-9 seems like a good range to me since, to be honest I would primarily be shooting at 100 yds from a bench trying to make the smallest groups I can. The reason I was looking at these two is that they are from reputable companies and seem to be good values. I built this rifle like a tank and want to maintain some of that durability in its optic but something like Nightforce or S&B is way out of my league, so, any suggestions either way?

ST911
06-23-15, 23:18
So, I'm looking to maybe pick up a 3-9 scope in the near future. The only real experience I have with magnified optics is my Eotech G33 but I recently decided to change up my rifle set ups. I previously had two 16" carbines one of which had a HBAR with irons and the other a SOCOM profile barrel with Eotech/G33. This combo didn't seem to make much sense to me so I switched the used HBAR to a light weight barrel and KMR and decided to put the Eotech on that rifle and add a scope to the much heavier SOCOM. 3-9 seems like a good range to me since, to be honest I would primarily be shooting at 100 yds from a bench trying to make the smallest groups I can. The reason I was looking at these two is that they are from reputable companies and seem to be good values. I built this rifle like a tank and want to maintain some of that durability in its optic but something like Nightforce or S&B is way out of my league, so, any suggestions either way?

I have the VX-R Patrol with a firedot tactical milling reticle (#113771), mounted on a LT Stealth.
http://leupold.com/tactical/scopes/vx-r-patrol/vx-r-patrol-3-9x40mm-30mm/
http://leupold.com/reticles/firedot-tactical-milling-reticle/

It has met my needs, has been durable enough bouncing around in the car, and tracks fine for the shooting I've done thus far. I have it in a LT-104 SPR mount, but as I use it more I want more eye relief and will swap in an extended mount at some point. The adjustment of the firedot takes a little getting used to, not as intuitive as a dial. The motion sensing switch works as advertised and it isn't eating batteries. There is no revolutions indicator on the turret knobs. Adjustment clicks are positive. The glass is nice and clear. I think it's a lot of scope at the price point, if the combination of features are what you're looking for.

Can't speak to the Trijicon.

SomeOtherGuy
06-24-15, 13:56

I have a VX-R (2-7x) and have had another (3-9x) and a VX-6 firedot in the recent past. I am not impressed with them. The glass is decent but the push-button illumination control is both clumsy and feels delicate - it's a rubber membrane that gets flexed, and if it gets punctured your scope internals can get wet. I don't like that.

The Trijicon is probably a good scope. I have a TR-24 1-4x and have no complaints. Also very good glass.

For what you want, I would look at the SWFA SS 3-9x42, which is a high quality and rugged scope, for $599. The glass is equal or better to those two, I like the reticle better, and it should be at least as rugged, probably more so. No illumination though. I would also look at the Burris XTRII 2-10x42 ($799 MAP, you can find them around $700), which likewise should be very rugged.

TF82
06-24-15, 18:17
Thanks guys. I am still considering the SWFA but I keep going back and forth about needing illumination. In reality, I probably don't, but would kind of like to have it. I'm kind of leaning toward the Trijicon, due to the abundance of reticle choices and the illumination knob but its tough to find any reviews of it yet.

HKGuns
06-24-15, 19:00
I own two Leupold VXR Patrol 1-4's and they are both great scopes. I prefer the push bottom illumination to the rotating knob of my MK6..

The glass is far better than just OK, as stated above, it compares quite favorably, in clarity, to the far more expensive MK6.

ST911
06-24-15, 19:33
I prefer the push bottom illumination to the rotating knob of my MK6..

Just a preference, or something about it you favor in particular?

HKGuns
06-24-15, 20:18
Just a preference, or something about it you favor in particular?

Easier (for me) to push the button, while holding the rifle, than turning the knob. Requires less dexterity, thought and concentration. Also, every other notch on the MK6 is off, so doing it quickly can lead to turning it to an off position, requiring an additional adjustment and time.

I've not had an issue with either of my VXR's so the "membrane" switch hasn't been an issue to date.

Jaysop
06-24-15, 21:12
I have a VRX 1-4. It's a very nice scope with very clear glass. I don't feel like it was as good as the ACOGs I was issued, but I was super impressed by those when I got one because it was the first time a really saw a target clearly.
The best part about the VXR is the red dot. It's daylight bright and work like a Aimpoint for me. For what your using It for it may not serve that purpose for you.

RHINOWSO
06-28-15, 22:16
While not the exact scopes you are looking at, I owned a Leupold Mark AR Mod 2 1.5-4x20 and have a Trijicon Accupower 1-4x24.

From those two, the glass, reticle, and means of illumination (knob vs dial) goes to Trijicon. With the dial you can easily go up or down in intensity but the button you have to keep pushing to go all the way up or down then back again.

The Firedot version IS daylight bright, so that is better than the Accupower, but it's not nearly as good as a RDS IMO. Plus in that class it's 1.5x vs 1x, which can make a difference to some.

I like the specs of the 3-9x Accupower as well, as long as the reticles are as good as the ones on the 1-4x - I've looked at the Leupold Mark AR and VX version of the 3-9x and the reticle is too thick for me.

YMMV. Both are good companies and I'm sure the either optic will be more than usable.

HKGuns
06-29-15, 07:26
The Mark AR glass isn't even close to the VXR glass in quality Rino........

TF82
06-29-15, 09:46
Thanks for the info guys. For me, while my preference is to have illumination, daylight brightness isn't that important to me as I don't plan to use it as a red dot since I won't have 1X. My Eotech will still fill that role.

I've got to say, my mind still isn't made up yet. At this point I feel like the Accupower has a preferable illumination adjustment, pretty nice reticle options and a slight price advantage. The Leupold has the advantage of being 30mm (easier to find a deal on a good used mount) and an established good reputation. If there were some more user reviews establishing that the Accupower was good to go I would probably go that route. On the other hand, while people certainly find reasons to dislike Trijicon products, durability and dependability don't ever seem to be among them.

RHINOWSO
06-29-15, 18:08
The Mark AR glass isn't even close to the VXR glass in quality Rino........

I honestly didn't notice a world of difference between the two, admittedly I only had hands on a VXR in one of the big box stores, so that was only my passing impression.

The mildot reticles in the 3-9x VXR/Mark AR Mod 1 still leave a lot to be desired, IMO. That has been the main reason I passed on both of them - kind of thick and the 1/2 and 1 Mil marks were too similar for me. The 1.25x / 1.5x low end and relatively useless reticle killed the smaller VXR/Mark AR Mod 1 for me - I tried to like it but no soup.

YMMV.

RHINOWSO
06-29-15, 18:13
At this point I feel like the Accupower has a preferable illumination adjustment, pretty nice reticle options and a slight price advantage. The Leupold has the advantage of being 30mm (easier to find a deal on a good used mount) and an established good reputation.
Agreed - I'm sure they played the Accupower 3-9x40 as a 'hunting' optic and pushed it to 1" instead of 30MM.

I guess another difference is capped vs uncapped turrets, if that makes a difference for your application. I couldn't live without uncapped on my SCAR 17, but on my 5.56 rifles its not a big deal to me.

Tx_Aggie
06-29-15, 19:41
Agreed - I'm sure they played the Accupower 3-9x40 as a 'hunting' optic and pushed it to 1" instead of 30MM.

I guess another difference is capped vs uncapped turrets, if that makes a difference for your application. I couldn't live without uncapped on my SCAR 17, but on my 5.56 rifles its not a big deal to me.

Trijicon's 3-9x40 Accupoint is also a 1" tube, so I would guess the 3-9 Accupower was derived from it (the other Accupower scopes also look to share dimensions with the comparable Accupoints). Hopefully they are also using the same quality of glass as they use in the Accupoint line.

RHINOWSO
06-29-15, 19:50
Trijicon's 3-9x40 Accupoint is also a 1" tube, so I would guess the 3-9 Accupower was derived from it (the other Accupower scopes also look to share dimensions with the comparable Accupoints). Hopefully they are also using the same quality of glass as they use in the Accupoint line.
Yeah, that would make sense.

It has been awhile since I had my TR24R, but I'd say the Accupower 1-4x24 is on par with the Accupower in terms of glass quality.